Start by marking “The Night the Angels Came” as Want to Read:
The Night the Angels Came

The Night the Angels Came

When Cathy receives a call about a terminally ill widower terrified of leaving his son all alone in the world, she is wracked with sadness and indecision. Can she risk exposing her own young children to a little boy on the brink of bereavement?

Published September 15th 2011 by HarperElement

To ask other readers questions about The Night the Angels Came, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night the Angels Came

Start your review of The Night the Angels Came
Emy
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, true-story
Firstly, I have great respect for Cathy Glass as a foster carer, especially as it's something I've considered doing myself when I'm older. What comes across in her prose is how much she really cares about the children who come to live under her roof, and I love that about her.

The Night the Angels Came is about a young boy, Michael, who comes to stay with Cathy because his father, Patrick, is dying of cancer. Michael's mother also died when he was very young, so his father is all he has left. Mea
Demi
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Again not the best author of this genre and I find the constant praise of herself annoying even if other people said it. The story was very sad and I felt sorry for the little boy. However since Cathy was also supposed to be so upset I did find it odd that having already read the story that comes almost immediately after this one she didn't ever state that she was upset or missed anyone in that story. I understand that it was a completely different story but I would have thought she could have i ...more
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
one of my fave cathy glass books
Suze
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE NIGHT THE ANGELS CAME

This is a very good book, a tear jerker. But it could have been quite a bit shorter, there were way too many details about errands and tasks.
Di
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
When Cathy receives a call about a terminally ill widower terrified of leaving his son all alone in the world, she is wracked with sadness and indecision. After her devastating divorce, can she risk exposing her own young children to a little boy on the brink of bereavement?

Eight year old Michael is part of a family of two, but with his beloved father given only months to live and his mother having died when he was a toddler, he could soon become an orphan. Will Cathy’s own young family be able
Louise
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
Story Description:

HarperCollins(UK)|November 14, 2011|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-0-00-744262-1

Eight-year-old Michael is part of a family of two, but with his beloved father given only months to live and his mother having died when he was a toddler, he could soon become an orphan. Will Cathy’s own young family be able to handle a child in mourning? To Cathy’s surprise, her children insist that this boy deserves to be as happy as they are, prompting Cathy to welcome Michael into her home.

A cheerful
Amanda
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography-memoir
Having read a few of these books now, the thing that is getting to me is the remarkable detail the author goes into to tell the story. The may not be thirty (short) chapters if she didn't feel the need to explain every detail, some of which aren't relevant. For example, she describes where she parks the car or she explains that she takes the stairs up two flights to the next floor because even though there was a lift available she couldn't take it for some reason. Was that important to the story ...more
Ashley  Jacobson
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-foster-care
This story was great, but Cathy's writing was pretty awkward. She was like a school girl in love, which was weird. It did not take away from the story too much, but I thought it could have been written better. Michael, the boy she is looking after, has lost his mom and now his father is terminally ill. It is a moving story, but Cathy gets way too attached to the dying dad and acts irrational about it. She is finishing up her divorce and obviously liked the attention from this man, but it was unp ...more
Catherine Brown (c4thb)
I love Cathy Glass. I find her writing style easy and flowing yet gripping. this story looked at another side of fostering and caring, and initially I was sceptical as to whether this would be as good, because although the stories and experiences of abused children are harrowing we all love a happy ending!
I was however not wrong in deciding to read this book and it sits up there with the best. a beautifully told, heart wrenching yet heart warming story of Michael and his terminally ill father.
Beth
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
One of the most touching books I've ever read. It had me in tears several times, I felt so strongly for Michael and everybody else involved in this story, and a lot of that is down to the way Cathy Glass writes. She has a way of telling a story that makes you feel as though she is a personal friend speaking directly to you, and the way she writes is strangely comforting; I think I would be happy just reading a diary of her day-to-day life, when I finish one of her books I really feel like I am m ...more
Anne Marie
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Cathy Glass is an excellent author. I love sitting down and reading her books and can read them all in one sitting and would read them again. What I loved about this book is the fact it was a different reason as to why she was taking in the little boy. The story either way is truly heart breaking. I like to read it to see what the children truly go through when dealing with dysfunctional families. It also gives a light to what foster is truly about by someone that does it. The children in her st ...more
Nila
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Cathy Glass,I just love all of her books about the children she fosters!! This story is NOT about a abused child just one she fostered because his mother was dead and his father soon became terminally ill. It was a great reminder that children come into foster for many reasons. Onto her other books for now....God bless all you foster parents out there doing the hardest job of all!
Monica Willyard Moen
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this inspiring story? It caused so many emotions in me as I read it. Most of all there is love, God's love as well as love from people to each other. That's important. There are hope, forgiveness, and trust as well. Yet there is heartbreaking loss at the grief that comes with it. Still, love conquers all, just as it should. For once, something went right on this crazy planet. ...more
Leanne Drake-kavanagh
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love reading Cathy Glass's books. This one had me in tears more than once. ...more
Tanya
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book. Have your tissues ready
Abi Hook
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was very moving. I loved it from beginning to end. I looked forward to picking it up to read when I could. Very good read. :)
Christine
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I admit I needed a box of tissues after I read this one. But once again I finished it in one sitting.
Jen Jones
Feb 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really don't know what prompted me to try again with C.Glass. I am sure she's a wonderful human being (she must be,she kept assuring me she was) but I shall never make that mistake again.

I previously read one of hers which I somewhat enjoyed...so consequently,I tried another. That was terrible and I reviewed it a while back. That wasn't a *book* but a list. A LONG list. Of boring things that one can assume happened.ie packing hospital bags...we dont need to know EVERY SINGLE ITEM .
It wasn't as
Jan Cole
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cathy Glass isn’t the best writer in the world and she has a formulaic approach to telling these children’s stories but at the heart of each story is a genuine love for the child she works with, and infinite patience. Cathy was in a vulnerable place herself when she was approached to foster Michael, an 8 year old whose father was dying of cancer. Michael’s mother had died 6 years previously. Michael’s father loved and adored his son and now that the end was nearing he wanted him to develop a rel ...more
Arlene Starr
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a true story of Michael, as told by his carer and how he worked through and faced a great loss in his life. It was with the help of others and the love, care and training he received from his father, his courage and faith that he was able to bear the crisis and walk through his ordeal as well as he did. And that doesn't mean that he didn't suffer, wasn't sad, or didn't experience the negatives as well.
His carer was Cathy Glass, the author, and she gave a good and loving narration of the
Kathy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was very different from other books by Cathy Glass I have read. As a foster parent in England, Cathy deals with hurt, abused and damaged children, some of whom have retreated deeply into despair to the point of trying to commit suicide. Many of her books are about these children. This book is about a little boy with a wonderful loving father dealing with terminal cancer. Michael goes to Cathy's house for care whenever his father is hospitalized. She and her two children quickly develop ...more
Sonia
2,5 stars.

“Stars are opening in heaven where the love of our lost ones shines through. Look to the stars and don’t be sad.”

Whilst the story has a lot of potential to be a great book, the writing is way too tedious that even listening to it was so boring and annoying at most parts (yeah I’m talking about those too much details of daily activities).

Michael was just eight years old when his father, the only family he has, was terminally ill from lung cancer so he was put into foster care program.
Juliette Grd
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I absolutely love Cathy Glass, I have read several of her books and have never been disappointed. Unfortunately, this one did.
Michael's story was absolutely devastating, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But unfortunately, this book was boring and I feel bad about saying this.
There was plenty of emotion in this book, I cried a little especially at the end. But it just made me cringe most of the time when I wasn't bored because of Cathy's relationship with the dad. Ethically it wasn't profess
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a case of interesting story, mediocre writing.

A young boy's mother is dead and his father terminally ill. A newly divorced, now single mother of two, has agreed to foster and even adopt the little boy when his father inevitably passes.

But unlike most foster cases the woman and the father get to know each other, and begin to fall in love. Now what?

Like I said, the premise was good, but the writing was too wooden. Nevertheless, I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it and deciding for
Sheila
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this inspirational memoir, Cathy Glass an experienced foster care worker, takes in the child of a terminally ill single father, devoted to his son. The story is well told in a strong narrative voice, and reads like fiction, except that a writer of fiction might have taken the story to a different conclusion than real life did.
As I am about to publish a book in this genre, I had much to learn from how this was presented in audiobook form.
Roma
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best books highly recommend

I would highly recommend this book so gripping. I have just gone back to reading on a kindle and was recommended Cathy Glass Books. These books are wonderful once you start reading you are hooked and won't be disappointed . Full of ups and downs but also full of reality .
Gail
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dealing with Death

Cathy Glass is an excellent story teller. This is a sad story as it deals with an eight year old and his surviving parents death. I was drawn right into the story from Michael coming for a short stay thru her families involvement with Michael and his father Pat' s death.
Kylie
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
kath
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book as always by Cathy Glass

I have read a number of Cathy Glass books over the last 10 or so years and having a busy career these days has meant I've fallen out of love with reading. I downloaded this book onto the amazon kindle app and read it in 5 hours. Great read as always.
debbie styler
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant read,couldn't put it down

Amazing book ,but very sad,what a brave little boy,Cathy you are such an amazing women,I think there is not enough words to describe your kindness and passion and treating this children as your own
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Nowhere to Go: The heartbreaking true story of a boy desperate to be loved
  • A Last Kiss for Mummy: A Teenage Mum, a Tiny Infant, a Desperate Decision
  • The Little Princess: The shocking true story of a little girl imprisoned in her own home
  • Broken: A traumatised girl. Her troubled brother. Their shocking secret.
  • Scarlett's Secret: A real-life short story by Casey Watson
  • Too Hurt to Stay: The True Story of a Troubled Boy’s Desperate Search for a Loving Home
  • A Boy Without Hope
  • Trapped: The Terrifying True Story of a Secret World of Abuse
  • Breaking the Silence: Two little boys, lost and unloved. One foster carer determined to make a difference
  • Skin Deep: All She Wanted Was a Mummy, But Was She Too Ugly to Be Loved?
  • Crying for Help: The Shocking True Story of a Damaged Girl with a Dark Past
  • Mummy’s Little Helper: The Heartrending True Story of a Young Girl Secretly Caring for Her Severely Disabled Mother
  • Just a Boy: An Inspiring and Heartwarming True Story
  • The Boy No One Loved
  • Little Prisoners: A Tragic Story of Siblings Trapped in a World of Abuse and Suffering
  • Runaway Girl: A beautiful girl. Trafficked for sex. Is there nowhere to hide?
  • My So Called Mum: Child abuse, Love & My Great Britain
  • A Stolen Childhood: A dark past, a terrible secret, a girl without a future
Cathy Glass is a bestselling British author, freelance writer and foster carer.
Her work is strongly identified with both the True Life Stories and Inspirational Memoirs genres, and she has also written a parenting guide to bringing up children, Happy Kids, and a novel, The Girl in the Mirror, based on a true story.
Glass has worked as a foster career for more than 20 years, during which time she ha