Start by marking “The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley” as Want to Read:
The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley

The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  294 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
0195163435|9780195163438. The Man Behind the Microchip Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley published in the year 2005 was published by Oxford University Press. The author of this book is Leslie Berlin. ed page displaying collection of Leslie Berlin books here. This is the Hardback version of the title "The Man Behind the Microchip Robert Noyce and the Inventio ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Behind the Microchip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Behind the Microchip

Herve
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Man Behind the Microchip is one of the best biographies about technology and entrepreneurship. This book is a pleasure to read from beginning to end. It is full of important facts about Silicon Valley, its history and its development.

I will just quote Robert Noyce, the hero of this book, founder of Fairchild and Intel:

“Look around who the heroes are. They aren’t lawyers, nor are they even so much the financiers. They’re the guys who start companies”

and also author Leslie Berlin adds:

Noyce te
Todd Decker
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A straight-forward biography of Bob Noyce. At points it felt like a recitation of facts one after another (particularly chapter 11 on his political lobbying efforts); however, overall a good capture of the history of this man. Contains an excellent bibliography, index, and references. Personally, I wish that it contained more technical details but it probably has enough for a general audience.
William Schram
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is rather embarrassing, but I had never heard of Robert Noyce before I read The Man Behind the Microchip by Leslie Berlin. I am somewhat familiar with the history of video games, and in that came a mention of Fairchild Semiconductor, and you would have to be living under a rock of some kind to not have heard of Intel Corporation. So it is rather sad that I had not heard of one of the brightest stars of Silicon Valley before this point in time.

Robert “Bobby” Noyce was born on December 12, 1927
Tech Historian
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a rule a biography about a technology founder is usually regurgitated press releases or a hagiography, or offers a disconnected set of technical "here's what he invented." This book is an exception to that rule. Leslie Berlin is one of the few authors who've managed to write a biography that does justice to the technology, history, context and personal life of the subject. She offers little known insights into the early days of Shockley and Fairchild Semiconductor and does a yeoman's job of e ...more
Chris
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is strongest following Noyce from his college days through the growth of Intel, and weakest at the beginning and the end. The anecdotes of his childhood are sparse and sappy; and his dismal years at SEMATECH are an uncompelling end to the life of a compelling man.
Jeff Kim
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a Man, what a Legend. The man had more style and wit and substance than a few Civilizations I could name.
Kevin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting details, but it read more like a recitation of facts than a deep investigation of Noyce, his mind, and his influence.
Chouba Nabil
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The biography of the legend who created : Fairchild & Intel.
Don't be encumbered by history. Go off and do something wonderful. - Bob Noyce
it's always a pleasure to read a biography, you are in someone's shoes, living his life and learning from his experience ...
Bob is a elegant or God-like for every semiconductor engineer.
Liam
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"In mid-January, Shockley's secret stewing paid off, when he realized that a Bell Labs colleague's research findings meant that the ideas he had mapped out in his Chicago hotel room could be fused into a workable device: the sandwich-like junction transistor. It may be spite's greatest contribution to American science." (54)

"Although the women in the lab were chosen for their dexterity, it was physically impossible for anyone to solder millions of connections perfectly. This meant that given a b
Robert
Oct 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the history of the transistor, microchip, or microprocessor
Shelves: non-fiction
My mom bought me this book for my birthday. It sat on my shelf for a year and half until my guilt finally brought me to pick it up. I was dreading it being quite boring. It turned out to be fascinating.

I related to Robert Noyce in a lot of ways. It was fun to see how he reacted to life and to compare his decisions with what I might have done. He inspired me to be more entrepreneurial.

Learning about the history of the industry I am in provided a lot of perspective and basis for the work I do eve
Dan
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This fast-reading biography of Robert Noyce, considered by many to be the inventor of the integrated circuit and the founder of Silicon Valley, gives us a glimpse of a man who for the most part practiced the ideals of good management. He treated employees fairly and believed they should be given the option to participate in a company's success through stock purchase plans and stock options. After his success in starting up Fairchild Semiconductor and Intel, he gave back by investing in other sta ...more
Shirley
Tells the story both of Robert Noyce's life, and the start of the semiconductor industry. I learned that Robert Noyce's personal management philosophy of giving people the tools they needed and then getting out of the way - and its success at Intel is what set the pattern of Silicon Valley companies and large portions of the American tech and software sectors in general.

Good read - and important if you want to understand the roots of this industry.
Joanne
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happens to be someone I worked with years ago, so many of the people and events are familiar, which makes this a terrific account of a true American inventor and enterpreneur. If you've been a witness, or even better a party to the rise of Silicon Valley you'll benefit from one story of how this whole thing got started. Worst I can say is that the author could have delved a little deeper into some things, but as a bio it's a great read.
Rob
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book and found Noyce to be really interesting. The book does cover how choosing a successful career may have repercussions on the family. The book exceeded expectations for sure. Great explanation of the contrast between Noyce and Grove. Skimmed through the early Sematch part of the book, but the first half made up for that stretch of boring detail.
Alex
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beyond the man, it gives an incredible history of the start of the semiconductor industry which is now so big. A great read and highly recommended especially if you have and interest at all in computers.
Ted Blizzard
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book. Very well written. I loved the story and the history.
Syed Muntazir Abidi
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Go off and do something wonderful" as Robert Noyce used to say, and this book is wonderful, so go off and must read this book.
Matt
May 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Chip: How Two Americans Invented the Microchip and Launched a Revolution
  • The Power Makers: Steam, Electricity, and the Men Who Invented Modern America
  • The Intel Trinity: How Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove Built the World's Most Important Company
  • The Electric Life of Michael Faraday
  • Crystal Fire: The Invention of the Transistor and the Birth of the Information Age
  • Creative Capital: Georges Doriot and the Birth of Venture Capital
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • Masters of the Universe: Hayek, Friedman, and the Birth of Neoliberal Politics
  • Secrets of Silicon Valley: What Everyone Else Can Learn from the Innovation Capital of the World
  • Matsushita Leadership
  • Stand Firm Ye Boys from Maine: The 20th Maine and the Gettysburg Campaign
  • Most Secret War
  • All the Great Prizes : The Life of John Hay, from Lincoln to Roosevelt
  • Haunted Empire: Apple After Steve Jobs
  • Broken Genius: The Rise and Fall of William Shockley, Creator of the Electronic Age
  • The House of Rothschild, Vol 1: Money's Prophets, 1798-1848
  • Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry--and Made Himself the Richest Man in America
  • Witness to Roswell: Unmasking the 60-Year Cover-Up

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“...people don't think in churches.

[Noyce on what bothers him most about organized religion.]”
6 likes
“I remember Bob saying, 'Some people who believe in God are good, and some people who believe in God are not good. So where does that leave you?' He had looked around and decided that religion is responsible for a lot of trouble in the world.' Noyce, always pushing against the limits of accepted knowledge, told Bowers that what bothered him most about organized religions was that 'people don't think in churches.” 4 likes