Start by marking “The Sea of Monsters: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #2)” as Want to Read:

The Sea of Monsters: The Graphic Novel

(Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels #2)

Seventh grade has been surprisingly quiet for Percy Jackson. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get...well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of his friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical ...more
Published July 2nd 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Sea of Monsters, please sign up.
Ashley Oxford I read the e-book after checking it out from my library on Overdrive.
Ashley Oxford I rated the graphic novel after having read the original book. I based my rating on the graphic novel after knowing the entire story.

Start your review of The Sea of Monsters: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #2)
Stepheny
I already love the Percy Jackson series so much. It's on the young side of Young Adult, to be sure. But it is just so damn fun I can't help but love it.

Sea of Monsters was a more accurate representation of the second book. The first one left out some fairly key scenes and characters. This one was spot on, if my memory serves me correctly... which it probably doesn't but whatever.

I loved it. That's what matters.

I am not wowed by the artwork by any means but it isn't the worst I have ever seen e
isabelle
I APPROVE.

description

It was quite an improvement from the first one.
Mario
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was was a little better than the first one, but still had some problems with it.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dtb-book
Even though I have read this series before, after reading and absolutely loving the first book in graphic novel form, I knew I needed to read them all over again in the same way.

It is amazing how much I had forgotten that the graphic novels helped me to remember. Most of all though, I am so happy that the sarcastic humor of Percy and his friends, still holds strong in these. It is one thing I truly did not forget about loving when it came to this series and it's spin off.

Once again the pages we
Sophia
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
While I liked the first graphic novel, I enjoyed this one more. It did skip over some parts however, the flow of the story was a lot smoother. I loved that there were little details in the illustrations that added more of the story. These have been so fun to read and I can't wait to continue!
Cristina Monica
*3.5 stars*

Well this was a great improvement from volume one! Still, there are some things that could have been much much better anyway.

For example, Clarisse sure is better drawn in this volume but she looks so...savage while in the movie and book she didn’t look or seem to be so...tomboy and masculine above that other characteristic. I did not like the way she was pictured.

Same thing for Luke—seriously, he looked like a man in this 30s!—and Thalia. What’s with Thalia being all emo/gothic-like?
Tabea Vanessa
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
While a lot of the substance and background info is missing, all the fun is still there!! And I freaking love the artwork!
Joey T
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Mmmmmkay
Yeah, still not a fan 😕
milou  ☕️
↠ 2,25 stars

This was slightly better but I'm still not a fan
Bri
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrators did such a great job! This graphic novel is my favorite of the series. I had so much fun reading this. I flew through it so quickly. After reading this, I think I'll be picking up graphic novels more often.
I enjoyed this graphic novel much more than the first one. It stuck to the book much more.
Kearden
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
this is an okay book but a waste of time if you ask me their was some moments that I did not see when I watched the movie. but their is not the felling of what is this what is that from the first one. it seems like a repeat of the first book but with more things. it not like the harry potter sires were their all was something new and mysterious. that is all I have to say without spoilers because no one spoilers.
Kiki
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
More of a supplement to the series. It would be easier to understand after reading the book. Still interesting to see how it would pan out artistically.
MichaelM
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was good. It was easy to read through, like most graphic novels. It had nice moments of action, where there was fighting, and I like the twists and turns the plots had as I read further in the book. If you like action science fiction type books, this would be a good graphic novel for you.
Akriti Jaiswal
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Connor
This was strides better than the first one in my opinion. The art was way more consistent, and they hit every important plot point. Compared to the novel, it definitely lacks that humor that the novels have, but I didn't notice nearly as much as I did in the first one.
Devann
Second verse, same as the first. Definitely a fun bit of nostalgia but it rushes through the plot points at breakneck speed so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have read the novel first. Still, it's a nice companion to the series and it's interesting to see the story in a different format [even though I'm still not the biggest fan of the art style]
Tangled N Books
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read by Shon

A quick refresher to remind me what happened. It's been maybe 5 years since I read this book. One of my bookish goal for this year is to finish the Percy Jackson series.
Clarice
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I started reading this book because I was required to read graphic novels for class. As the book progressed, I started to get bored with it because I missed the details of the original book. There were some parts from the book that I missed that weren't in the graphic novel. I believe that it would be better if I hadn't read the original book first.
Anto
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
QUE LINDO VOLVER A ESTA HISTORIA
Emily Traasdahl
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm mad how they made Tyson look.
Kendall Jonnson
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I definitely found the pacing of this book much better than the first, so I’d say pretty cool!
Melissa
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars

It's a nice graphic novel, but the characters don't really look like how I imagined it... Oh well, it was still pretty good, but of course the book is better with all the details. This GN is a nice way to freshen up your memory after a long time not reading the actual books ;)

PS: This review counts also for Sea of Monsters & The Titan's Curse. I read them all on the same day and I don't think it gets better or worse with each GN. It just stays on the same lever. Just go
Roma
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
General Rating: 6/10
Personal Rating: -2/10

Boy, I hate giving this rating to Rick Riordan. However, it's not his fault that once again someone else butchered this story.

I got to say that this was better than the previous graphic novel, the color palette it's way more colorful, BUT I really (really) hate the drawing style. Now, that's personal but the real problem with the illustrations is that they do not show the characters' emotions: Percy could be feeling upset but his face would look either l
Sheila Beaumont
This second volume of the Percy Jackson graphic adaptations is excellent, quite an improvement on the first. The story is more complete, and the artwork (by the same artist) is better. Now, on to Book 3!
Raoufa Ibrahim
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: myth
the drawing was really good, It's good to read it after the novel since there is no good movies for it, the graphic novel will replace it
Aakash Yadav
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I personally enjoyed the graphic version of The Red Pyramid more than this though it was okay.
Emily Pham
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I relly want to read it again and again and again polyphemus is so ugly!
ϟEvelynϟ
Lol, I am so getting this for my birthday, since it is released one day after! :D
J.D. Estrada
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I read the first Percy Jackson novel a while back and I had a lackluster experience, especially since the book made me feel old. I thought maybe a different format would help, but alas, The Sea of Monsters presents me with the same things that didn't click the first time around. It's a very Nickelodeon way of treating plots, characters, and the hero. It's nice to include references that will teach kids about Greek mythology, but I feel this is a series that does not age well. Unlike other middle ...more
Sea of Monsters now on Netflix 1 4 Jul 02, 2014 08:16AM
Support for the remaining Percy Jackson movies 1 3 Oct 25, 2013 12:52PM
Differences from book? 1 3 Sep 23, 2013 07:43AM
Check out what the fans are saying bout the movie 1 1 Aug 11, 2013 09:47AM
Movie version Review 1 3 Aug 08, 2013 07:01PM
My Views on Sea of Monsters Explained 1 2 Jul 27, 2013 04:55PM

• The Last Olympian: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson Book 5)
  • The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Throne of Fire: The Graphic Novel  (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Serpent's Shadow: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles, #3)
  • Percy Jackson Collection: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, the Last Olympian, the Titans Curse, the Sea of Monsters, the Battle of the Labyrinth, the Demigod Files and the Red Pyramid
  • Percy Jackson & the Olympians:  The Ultimate Guide
  • The Demigod Files (Percy Jackson and the Olympians)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
  • The Demigod Diaries (The Heroes of Olympus)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • Demigods and Monsters: Your Favorite Authors on Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • Percy Jackson and the Singer of Apollo
  • The Son of Sobek (Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles Crossover, #1)
  • Camp Half-Blood Confidential (The Trials of Apollo, #2.5)
Robert Venditti is a New York Times best-selling author whose characters and concepts have been adapted to film and television. He has written the monthly comic book series Justice League, Green Lantern, and The Flash for DC Comics, X-O Manowar and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior for Valiant Entertainment, and the children's novel series Miles Taylor and the Golden Cape for Simon & Schuster. His nonf ...more

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels (5 books)
  • The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Titan's Curse: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #4)
  • Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (Percy Jackson: The Graphic Novels #5)

News & Interviews