Start by marking “inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity” as Want to Read:
inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity

inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity

Imaginative. Innovative. Ingenious. These words describe the visionaries we all respect and admire. And they can describe you, too. Contrary to common belief, creativity is not a gift some of us are born with. It is a skill that all of us can learn. International bestselling author and award-winning Stanford University educator Tina Seelig has worked with some of the busin ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by HarperOne (first published April 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about inGenius, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Heidi The Hippie Reader
As my mentor pointed out to me a couple years ago, creativity is one of the most important skills to master and develop throughout your career. No matter what you're doing, in your professional or personal life, creativity provides the answers and greases your wheels to whatever goal you desire.

inGenius is Tina Seelig's offering to those interested in learning about creativity. She is a professor at Stanford University and these chapters are like talking points from her class.

Granted, some of th
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This isn't a *bad* book but it does have that feeling of one of those business school books written in almost a self-help tone, with bullet points and diagrams that may or not actually contain meaning. The best thing Seelig does is bring together the ideas of others, although it left me wondering if I would get more from reading those original works.

A few bits I marked, some for teaching and some for leading discussion in my group:

"To stimulate the students' imagination... we asked them to intr
Anna White
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I feel like I'm being a little stingy with the stars, because this is a good, well researched book about creativity. Here's my issue: this could be called the extroverts guide to creativity. If I was not creative and I read this I would feel like there was even less hope for me because many of the scenarios the author describes would reduce me to a sweaty ball of stress. Open offices with no solid walls. Lots and lots of group discussion. Even one office where coworkers could expect to find thei ...more
Jeremy Beasley
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Marie
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. I will use this in class !
Ian
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of the blurb reviewes for this book calls is a 'groundbreaking work', but this would only be the case if you've been in a coma for the past 50 years, since that;s how old some of the ideas in this book are. Another blurb reviewer says the author has "shattered the misconception that you can't increase creativity" - what misconception? - there are literally hundreds of books devoted specifically to increasing creativity and many of these are more than 50 years old. This particular book has pa ...more
Rayrumtum
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
I recommend that you at least skim a copy of inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity by Tina Seelig in which she distills experiences from her popular course on creativity offered at Stanford University's Plattner Institute of Design. Her innovation model consists of 6 elements; the three internal ones are your knowledge, your imagination, and your attitude while the three external elements are resources, habitats (your local environment), and culture. The book is chock full of examples from rese ...more
Murat Aydogdu
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I am "taking" (i.e. loosely following) this MOOC out of Stanford's Venture Lab called "A Crash Course on Creativity". It is a 10 week course that ends mid-December, 2012. Tina Seelig teaches the course (and she teaches other course at Stanford). This is her book that the course is based on.

I was a little bit skeptical about it as it seemed a bit too "motivational-speaker-y" but the book definitely has some meat in it. I read it fast, and definitely learned some things, for instance, that creati
Rebecca Tolley
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Flyleaf promises that author provides a set of tools we can use to radically enhance our own ingenuity and that's what attracted me to this book: the tools. Alas, they were not what I expected, or were merely the reiteration of the same I've read in other books on creativity. This is an excellent book for folks new to the subject as it provides many examples of creative thinking and problem solving, but has little new information for those well-read in the topic.
Annie
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars really. I don't care what your job is, applying even just one of her suggestions will improve it. This is quick and insightful and chock-full of great and simple ways to increase your creativity. I've already created and am using a future projects box.
Bonnie
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
At first, I resented this book for not being a down-to-earth, attainable pedagogical model. And then I got over it when I applied the brainstorming principles to my own thinking and have come up with an innovative final exam project. Hooray!!!
Karen Olive
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Nice compilation of generally known ideas on creativity and innovation-- with a business bend. But really nothing new here.
Peter Schwarz
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A quick read for anyone who needs a refresher on creative thinking.
Domrongpon Tanpaibul
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
End up with reading the last paragraph of each chapter. It isn't a bad book but I can't convince myself to read other thing that you do not necessarily need to know.
Poonam
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Tina Seelig has a PhD in Neuroscience and teaches Creativity and Innovation in Stanford University. I didn't like the way book was designed. The chapters didn't seem to flow. So I read the book from wherever I felt like and this worked for me. What I liked were some examples and stories that inspired me to create my own presentation on Creativity.
Couple of my takeaways: (I've added only those appeared new to me).

1. Ideas on how to brainstorm. Teams shouldn't be bigger than that can eat from two
Mavromou
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Es un libro muy interesante, fácil de leer, y motivacional.

Tina explica con ejemplos y conceptos sencillos la relación entre tres variables personales, que toma de Bloom y tres variables del contexto haciendo lo que ella llama la "maquina de innovar". Una cinta de Moebius que contiene estas seis variables que están interrelacionadas entre sí y de a pares para comprender de una forma sencilla el proceso creativo.

Es una perspectiva interesante, y que sale de la estructura de las 4P de la creativid
EunSeong Hwang
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It has the tone of one of those conversational, self-help books (if you like that sort of thing), and some of the things suggested or stated in the book seems obvious, like gamifying things and making things fun so you actually complete necessary but mundane tasks, constraints leading to more creative results rather than hindering them, or how the physical layout of our environment can affect our behaviours and thoughts. However, Tina Seelig backs up what we take for ...more
Emily Irish
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a good introduction to the core principles of creativity. It provides a pretty quick, easy read while still managing to impart interesting anecdotes and important principles. However, it's very short on applicability. There are few concrete guides forward.

If you're looking for help in becoming more creative, this book can provide a good foundation of thought, but it won't give you an idea of where to go next. It's also largely focused on teams, with very little directly said about f
Jeff Bobin
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
This book kept coming up on my recommended reading lists I look at from a number of different disciplines and now I know why. Every organization must be continually reevaluating what they do and how they do it if they want to remain relevant.

I am always looking for something that will help me look at what I am doing and see if there is a better way. One of the interesting parts of this book was that she talks about tools that I have used in creativity exercises but in a different way that I hav
Khoury
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-ve-read
Quyển sách này không được hay như cuốn "Nếu tôi biết được khi còn 20", tôi cho rằng như vậy. Giá mà Tina đề cập nhiều hơn đến cách dạy trong lớp sáng tạo của cô ấy, thay vì những sáng chế hay nghiên cứu hay những điều quá xa vời và khô khan. Càng về phần sau cuốn sách, tôi không còn hứng thú nữa, nó đề cập khá nhiều về phần lí thuyết suông nhưng tôi chưa thấy đượ c một điều gì đó thật sự động viên mình rằng "Tôi thực sự có tài", có lẽ tôi đã trông chờ quá nhiều vào nó chăng.
Erika Molyneux
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Took me awhile to get through this one. Started out useful with some suggestions to open your mind. Then it was just examples of thing being put to use. Best take a ways are to reframe the question or challenge if you are struggling to come up with a solution. Practice opening your mind by creating something with two unrelated objects.
Linda
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s like a best of for creative thinking examples. Seelig references lots of already published examples of creativity in use. As a person who’s familiar with creative problem solving it was redundant.
I’d be tempted to recommend the book to someone who hasn’t been exposed to creative thinking. However, as it does not spend much time describing the examples it may not be an engaging read.
Sharon
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
A useful introduction to creativity but nothing new. Maybe, it is book that more people in education should read. A book for the 21st century and the kind of mindset that is now required. Quick, easy read, informative but nothing new.
Selina
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the reflection on how time constraints promote productivity, how our attitudes can determine if we are the kind that see opportunities as opposed to road blocks, and how we shouldn't be afraid of failure or breaking things, just to find ways to fix them.
Farrell
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I watched the talk she gives first, then was inspired to read the book. It's basically the same so I decided to stop reading. But I find the talk interesting
Biljana
“ความคิดสรางสรรคคือทรัพยากรทีไมมีวันหมด”
หนังสือเลมนีอธิบายไดอยางดี
Chou2811
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hic giá mà hồi năm nhất đọc được quyển này thì lúc đi họp nội dung đã không khổ thế này
Deb
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
**Vroom. Vroom. Vroom**

Ready to unlock the creative genius within you?

Here’s a good place to start.

In her book _inGenius_, executive director of the Stanford Technology Venture Program Tina Seelig provides a roadmap for unleashing the creative genius within. In summarizing her mission for this book, she writes:
“The entire project was driven by my desire to understand the creative process and to share my insights. I wanted to contribute something meaningful to the global conversation about inno
Petrucha
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Spíš 2,5 hvězdy, ale jsem mírná :D

Poslouchala jsem česky, zhodnotím česky... A smutně. Tuhle audioknihu považuju za ztrátu času. Mám z toho pocit jako z jakéhokoli jiného vysokoškolského kurzu, který mi nic nedal. Necítím se inspirovaně ani trošku.

Ta knížka je promovaná jako kurz kreativity, ale ve skutečnosti je to spíš výčet autorčiných zkušeností s učením kreativity a konkrétních příkladů a nápadů ostatních lidí a společností - což by asi dobře posloužilo jako vata do jakékoli diplomové nebo
  • Fire Your Boss
  • Why Not?: How to Use Everyday Ingenuity to Solve Problems Big And Small
  • Mental Traps: The Overthinker's Guide to a Happier Life
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
  • Design for How People Learn
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Your Creative Brain: Seven Steps to Maximize Imagination, Productivity, and Innovation in Your Life
  • Shiny Objects: Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • Dead Girl Dancing (Dead Girl, #2)
Tina Seelig is the executive director for the Stanford Technology Ventures Program (STVP), the entrepreneurship center at Stanford University's School of Engineering. STVP is dedicated to accelerating high-technology entrepreneurship education and creating scholarly research on technology-based firms. STVP provides students from all majors with the entrepreneurial skills needed to use innovations ...more
“Acute observation is a key skill for gaining valuable knowledge about the world around you.” 0 likes
“Constraints are actually a good thing and a catalyst to creativity” 0 likes