Start by marking “Stars Come Out Within” as Want to Read:
Stars Come Out Within

Stars Come Out Within

(Jean Little's Autiobiography #2)

Published September 1st 1991 by Viking Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Stars Come Out Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars Come Out Within

Beth
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Reading about Jean Little's publishing travails makes me want to read every single book she describes; also, this evokes, so clearly, Beverly Butler's Light a Single Candle, when Cathy gets a guide dog.

After reading these two biographies back to back, I then read From Anna, Mine for Keeps, The School Story, Light a Single Candle, and Gift of Gold, because something about Jean Little's life reminds me of all of them.

Jean Little is a treasure.
Yvensong
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mostly written for a much younger audience than myself, but I believe this is quite readable for adults as well as younger people. It may not be as in depth as some adult readers would want, but the author does a wonderful job of conveying her hopes and her fears as her eyesight is leaving her. We share in her worries, her aspirations, her episodes of anger and depression, and her acceptance of the new way she has to live her life.
Allison
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I pulled this off the shelf at work (school library) to read on my lunch break and then brought it home to finish it. I read Mine For Keeps when I was young, and can still remember scenes from it. This was, unsurprisingly, quite readable, written fairly simply for a younger audience but still engaging for an adult reader. I really like that the reason Little started writing books for children was that she wanted and could not find a disabled protagonist that didn't either die or get miraculously ...more
Melody Schwarting
Lovely set of memoirs about a children's writer who struggled with various social problems and visual impairment. Overcoming adversity, learning to love oneself and reading, and relationships with parents are major parts of the book.
Darlene
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: S. Michele and Cheryl in cc nv
Recommended to Darlene by: Yvensong, Cheryl in cc nv
This was an Inter-Library Loan. That meant I only had two weeks to read it. Yikes! And the font... well, it was darker and good sized, but the lines were too close together. That made it difficult for me to read, but not impossible. Under really good lighting and short sips of the book, I managed to finish. Yay! I thought often, that Jean Little, herself, would have had a hard time reading this. My eyes aren't nearly as bad as hers were, but I have similar problems. I have two eyes that operate ...more
Abby
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it
This was given to me as a young teen and I have read it many many times. Although I am older now, more experienced with books and memoirs, it still holds a special place for me. It is harder and harder to find Miss Little's books on the shelves in commercial bookstores, but From Anna (chapter book) and her first autobiography, Little by Little, are well worth seeking out. When I see Guelph, Ontario mentioned anywhere, my fist thought is, "Jean Little lives there!"
Karin
I think I read this at the wrong time. Having just finished an exciting and engaging book, I just couldn't get into this one. It felt boring and superficial and lacked the insights promised by other reviews and descriptions. Some of her comments, especially upon judging people prior to really meeting them, left me thinking that we probably wouldn't be friends.
The Hofs
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goose, chez-mama, petunia
Part two of Jean Little's life. Loved it! It was great fun. Miss Little's experience with her seeing eye dog and journey to losing her sight was informative and inspiring. Not just worth reading, but owning.
Jane Buttery
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this a long time ago and loved it. Jean writes about how a blind person can view he world from within the imagination and find joy. I know it is a book worth reading.
Brianna
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Favourite.
Rayna
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A great look into the life of the visually impaired. Shows people that life goes on and we can't give up no matter what happens.
Leprecat O'Kin
Apr 08, 2008
Ruth
Jul 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.

Jean Little's Autiobiography (2 books)
  • Little by Little: A Writer's Education