Start by marking “Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)

Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  4,727 Ratings  ·  393 Reviews
Triplets narrate, teen descendants of Medusa. Warring factions among the gods of Olympus are coming; creatures of the Abyss are pushing into San Francisco; boys in their lives hide dangerous secrets.

Tough Gretchen has fought monsters the longest, trains newfound sisters. Perfectionist Greer keeps her social calendar, faints from visions. Compromising Grace worries about mi
Published September 4th 2012 by Harper Collins Katherine Tegen

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Shadows

Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,513 books — 15,787 voters
YA Novels of 2012
1,330 books — 10,691 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
This was a pretty good sequel. I maybe liked it a little bit less than book 1, hence my half star less rating, but I still did enjoy it quite a lot. There's not a lot to say about it really. It hasn't blown me away, it isn't something I'd ever reread, but I do want to read the last book in the trilogy some time soon, most likely next month, to find out what happens.

Only thing is (view spoiler)
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Despite being the descendants of the Gorgons and Medusa, these girls do not have bad hair days.

Go figure.

The kick-ass trio - Greer, Gretchen and Grace - have discovered that they're the much-anticipated Key Generation. But fancy title aside, being the Key Generation is more trouble than it's worth. There seem to be three groups of beings in this book:

Those that want to kill the girls BEFORE they open the door and unleash the monsters:

Those that want to kill the girls AFTER they open the door
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i NEEEEEEEEEED TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leigh Collazo
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

REVIEW: As with Sweet Venom , I liked-but-did-not-love Sweet Shadows, and I can't help but feel a little sad about that. Both Sweet Venom and Sweet Shadows have everything going for them. I love the three sisters' characters and how they are still learning how to interact as siblings. I love Nick as a romantic lead, and Thane is a nice little mystery I can't wait to unravel. The mythology is interesting, and the action scenes are fun to read. Tera Lynn Childs is
3.5 stars. Quick and fun book. I was really frustrated through most of the book, but it is entertaining and I look forward to seeing how the cliffhanger ending is resolved.

* Replaying of last scenes in Sweet Venom so we can easily pick up the story again
* Greer is getting more attached to her siblings
* Key Generation - Gretchen, Grace & Greer, descendents of Medusa the Gorgon
* Mission, if they choose to accept it: open lost door to demon world to restore balance and serve as peace keep
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
All I'm willing to say is that Sweet Shadows is better written than the first book of the series, and the main characters do have better performance and wits than the previous book. But the story and the Greek myth in the book is still hopelessly shallow. And how come every girl ends up being paired up with a boy in the end!???

It's a readable YA novel and at least I didn't end up hating the story, the characters and the author after finishing the book, so I give it 2.5 stars.
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok, wow! I hate that there are only three books in this series. I hate the next book having to be the final book. I have come to love the sisters and i'm deep into this story. This is so amazing, my mind is exploding with stuff, but I still wish the Gods make an appearance. I would so gladly slay monsters if only I don't have to taste them.
Nov 08, 2011 marked it as to-read
AGH!! I cannot even say how excited I am for this sequel-- Sweet Venom was one of my all-time favorite books that I've ever read and reviewed on my blog!! :D BRING IT ON!! ^_^
See more reviews at

Oh yes. Pure awesome romance, action and GREEK MYTHOLOGY.

I'm having a really good streak at the moment, there are so many books that I've just fallen in love with. And this, Sweet Shadows was no disappointment. Tera Lynn Childs, you are awesome and I could kiss you right now. <3

Finally our three Medusa divas have met, but that doesn't mean that they're safe. In fact, they are in more danger than ever. When the story begins, it is rig
Jan 14, 2012 marked it as to-read
waiting quite impatiently!!! need this ASAP! NOW!
Jazmyn Moncrieffe
Jul 03, 2012 marked it as to-read
I cant wait!!!!!! Argh library here i come!!!!! I read sweet venom in 2 days, it was that great so im pretty sure sweet shadows will be great!
Dark Faerie Tales
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-emmy
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Things start with a bang in Sweet Shadows and keep rolling, bringing the girls closer to answers and danger.

Opening Sentence: As I stare across Gretchen’s dining table at Grace, who is flipping through a binder about some ridiculously hideous monster straight out of mythology, I still can’t really fathom that there are two girls right here in this loft who look exactly like me.

The Review:

When I say the novel starts with a bang, I mean it lit
usagi ☆ミ
3.5/5 stars.

I found that this volume of the trilogy was far easier to get into, moreso than the first volume (probably because I'm used to Childs' style now). The pages flew by and before I knew it, the book was done. All in all, "Sweet Shadows" makes some major progress in the series, yet left a bit to be desired. But you can definitely bet that I'm reading book 3.

I found that this book was far more plot-driven than book one - not a bad thing by any means, but it meant fast pacing, and it left
Three teenage descendants of Medusa must figure out where their fate will take them. Warring factions among the gods of Olympus are coming for them, creatures of the abyss are pushing into San Francisco, and odd figures in their lives are hiding dangerous secrets. Gretchen has fought the monsters for years, but teaching the others is hard. Can she rely on Grace and Greer? Greer has pressing social commitments and little time to train her new-found powers, but the mythical second sight won't leav ...more
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru

Three teenage descendants of Medusa, now united, must claim their heritage to fight the monsters escaped from the abyss.

Gretchen may have known she was a descendant of Medusa long before her sisters--after all, she's spent her life fighting the monsters that escape the abyss--but that doesn't mean it will be easy to teach the other girls the ropes.

Greer has pressing social commitments on her plate and precious little time to train in her newfound powers. But that wretched second sight w
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: greek-mythology
3.5 star

This was just a very fun and short read. It took me less than an hour and a half to read. Time just flew by.

Sweet Shadows is centered around three girls, who are triplets, and descendants of Medusa. History was twisted around, and made Medusa look like the villain, when she actually guarded the door between the monsters and mortals. I love each of the sisters. They all kick butt, and have a great budding sistership. Each of the sisters also has their own individual story, and they're al
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, ebook, young-adult
"And there are some monsters that would just rather hand out in the world of trees and sunshine. Endless black can get so monotonous."

Sweet Shadows picks up immediately where Sweet Venom ends. When Gretchen's loft is blown up, the newly reunited sisters try to get over the shock of the recent events and trying to find out who is trying to kill them. Not that it's easy, of course.

In this book, the sisters' individual plotlines are more intertwined, but there are still things that they need to wor
Courtney (Fuzzy.Coffee.Books)
What I Liked: 1) I like the three sisters. As they started to get to know each other in Sweet Venom you could see relationships begin to develop, but throughout Sweet Shadows their relationship becomes more cemented, and they begin to care for each other as sisters, instead of strangers who happen to look alike. 2) Um, there was a unicorn in this book. I don't know that I have ever encountered a unicorn in another book other than Harry Potter. But this one talked and wasn't being eaten by Voldy. ...more
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok

I'm not sure whether this book was just not as good as the first one or my standards were considerably lower back when I read book #1.

I found #2 to be rather predictable. I didn't like any of the three girls narrating. They felt sort of like:

Grace: Hey, I'm Grace! I'm bubbly and happy! I care about my family sooooo much! But, like, I hardly ever make time to see them. I'm just too busy! And I'm environmentally friendly! Save the planet!!!

Gretchen: I'm tough. I'm mean to everyone. Except thi
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am fond of reading novels that evolve Greek Mythology, especially if authors write the story real well. I borrowed this ARC from a friend who attended the book event in Chicago. I couldn't wait for the release of this book in September. I was so anxious to find out the answers to the mysteries that Ms. Tera had left unanswered in the first book. Well, this book picked up from where it ended in Sweet Venom. Still narrated by Greer, Grace, and Gretchen. The triplets had finally agreed to battle ...more
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found this book stuck to me like glue. While I enjoyed the first book by the end I was ready to leave the medusa sisters behind and pick up a new book then everything went boom and I picked up this one needing to find out what happened. With the explosive beginning of this book I was expecting the pace to pick up. If anything I found it slowed to a crawl. The "surprise twists" I found fairly predictable and yet I still wasn't given the answers I was looking for. Only to be left with you got it ...more
Paula  Phillips
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Now that the three sisters have been reunited, their lives are getting more and more dangerous to live. It seems that once the three are reunited, they have the power to control the portal between the monster world and their world -earth. Some people want them dead, others want to save them. However, its a who can they trust kind of game ? As those around them are lying to them and now they are fighting for their lives. If that wasn't bad enough, they are lying to their parents - Grace in parti ...more
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tera Lynn Childs has done it again! I don't even typically reach for YA books and yet I could hardly put this one down - and as always, I am ready to read the next installment.

In a few words...
Cover: Pretty
Rating: G
Stars: 5
Overall: A very fun read that leaves you wanting more!
Characters: Love 'em even more than I did in Sweet Venom.
Page Turner: Did not want to put it down!
Series: Trilogy, one more left.

In other words...
A lot of questions were answered in this installment of the trilogy. The
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this series! I love the triplets! I love the author!

I love that Sweet Shadows starts right where Sweet Venom left off. People want to see the girls all dead...mystery! Greek mythology continues to be an enjoyable aspect of the series. Gods and demons going at it...a war? Action? The girls are still trying to bring back their Gorgon ancestors.

The siblings are all further developed, especially Greer. I'm one of those readers who loves snarky, quick-witter, sarcastic people and she fills t
LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)-- on hiatus :(
Although not quite as suspenseful as the first book, Sweet Venom, I liked how the events of the story flowed together and didn't seem contrived. Also, it had a more complex plot compared to other paranormals- there are two factions opposing both each other and the Triplets (Greer, Grace, and Gretchen), forcing the sisters to play both sides and providing more maturity.

All of the characters continued their development from the first book. Although Milo is kind of flat, I liked Nick, Gretchen's l
I love this series! I love the characters and the story. I love mythology and how the author takes a story that is told many times over and makes it their own. I like that we got to see some monsters that you don't normally hear about, it's fun to look them up and learn about them.

I love how the author takes the sisters characters and has them play off each other like real sibs do. I really liked the twists and turns this one has and this one has quite a few!

I honestly cannot wait to read the n
I loved everything about this book! It was amazing and just so exciting to read. I was always excited to get to the next page and it was just fantastic. I cannot wait to get to the last book in the trilogy!

I really thought this book was amazing. I am so glad I started the new year with this book. There were lots of plots that confused me but in the end I finally got it (sort of) and I am really excited for the next book. I loved Gretchen, Greer and Grace. I like the whole mythology theme, mytho
Pam Victorio
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Solid books that I wish I liked more. The sisters have different personalities but something about having all three of them on my page bugs me. I feel like they don't really get to be fleshed out and they just have this attributes to make them different just because they have to be different. I'd like to see more depth. I do love the bend on mythology.
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
a really great adventure. a 2nd book with a lot of history and information but still setting the stage for the next book
we didn't get all the answers to our questions (nor do we know who EVERYONE is!) but...we did get a lot of answers and that was enough

and I'm excited for the next one!
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I did not enjoy it as much as I liked the first one. I think this sequel is not that clear. I do not understand the Key Generation anymore, too complicated. It seems the second book wasn't able to point out the importance of them. And there are too many secrets. Ugh.
Crazy for Young A...: Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls #2) by Tara Lynn Childs → Start Date: October 9, 2013 135 49 Oct 28, 2013 02:48PM
Book Discussions ...: * Sweet Shadows 1 3 Mar 17, 2013 01:11PM
~!The Young Adult...: Sweet Shadows 10 20 Apr 29, 2012 11:54AM
  • Embers and Echoes (Wildefire, #2)
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • Glass Heart (Cold Kiss, #2)
  • Envy (The Fury Trilogy, #2)
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • Starling (Starling, #1)
  • Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)
  • Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
  • The Mephisto Kiss (The Mephisto Covenant #2)
  • Romeo Redeemed (Juliet Immortal, #2)
  • The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test, #1.5)
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • Havoc (Deviants #2)
  • A Touch Morbid (A Touch Trilogy, #2)
  • Sacrifice (The Descendants, # 2)
  • The Torn Wing (The Faerie Ring, #2)
  • The Wood Queen (The Iron Witch, #2)
  • The Unfailing Light (Katerina, #2)
Tera Lynn Childs is the RITA-award-winning young adult author of the mythology-based Oh. My. Gods. series, the Forgive My Fins mermaid romance series, the kick-butt monster-hunting Sweet Venom trilogy, and the Darkly Fae series. She also wrote the City Chicks sweet chick lit romance series and co-wrote the Hero Agenda and Creative HeArts series. Tera lives nowhere in particular and spends her time ...more
More about Tera Lynn Childs...

Medusa Girls (3 books)
  • Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1)
  • Sweet Legacy (Medusa Girls, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Destiny is a gift, something to rise to. Fate is something to make for yourself.” 18 likes
“But selfish isn't necessarily a bad thing. It only means you take care of yourself and you have to do that to be able to take care of others.” 17 likes