Start by marking “I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke, #0.5)

I Love the Earl

(The Truth About the Duke #0.5)

A single lady in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a suitor.

Margaret de Lacey has accepted her unmarried state with dignity, if not delight. She had no suitors when she was young and starry-eyed, though regrettably poor, and it's unlikely any man will court her now that she's older, wiser, and still just as penniless. Until, that is, her brother unexpectedly
Published August 2nd 2011 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about I Love the Earl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love the Earl

Start your review of I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke, #0.5)
Jen Davis
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
You know what I loved about this book? I never had to forgive the hero or the heroine for being an idiot. Not once did they betray each other. Not once did they fail to forgive a shortcoming. There was no subterfuge, no great misunderstanding. It's just a story of a man, trying to win a woman's heart --and succeeding.

Margaret is firmly on the shelf at 30 when her brother inherits a Dukedom. He decides to share his good fortune with his sister, offering a sizable dowry for her to finally snag a h
Caz
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B for both content and narration at AudioGals.

Although the full-length novels in Caroline Linden’s  The Truth About the Duke  series came out in audio book format a few years ago, the prequel novella, I Love the Earl, has only just been released. Novellas are a bit hit and miss for me in general, but I’m a big fan of Caroline Linden’s and was pleased to see that Gildart Jackson had returned to complete the series, so I snapped this up for review.

The Truth About the Duke serie
Barbara Rogers
Series: The Truth About the Duke #0.5
Publication Date: 8/2/11
Number of Pages: 147

This was a lovely introduction to the ‘The Truth About The Duke’ series, we meet the Duke, learn about him unexpectedly becoming a duke, but we don’t really see much of him. We learn to like him, dislike him, and then like him again. We learned that he was troubled and that it had something to do with a youthful romance, but no explanations beyond that. The other books in the series feature his sons (many years late
Tanya Sridhar
4.5/5 stars. It would be 5 stars if the epilogue was more fleshed out. I'm a sucker for extended happy endings.

I think I'm slowly starting to fall in love with Caroline Linden herself. I've read two books by her recently and both have left me blubbering like a baby and wondering if the future will hold a technology that can bring our favorite fictional characters to life.

Because if such a world ever existed, then Rhys Corwen, Earl of Dowling would be in the running for sure!

The book kicks off
Maya Rodale
Totally charming novella that kicks off a fantastic series. Don't miss it!
Sophia
Who would have thought a brooding fortune hunter and a tart-tongued spinster would provide such an engaging Georgian Era romance? The situation got me curious and I just had to see how the dashing earl persuaded the practical dowered lady who wanted to be married for love turned out. It didn't hurt that a favorite narrator had the telling of this one by a new to me author.

I Love the Earl is a prequel story, but it is a self-contained standalone that introduces the series. As I'm not familiar wit
Tanya Sridhar

The book kicks off
Al George
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darling. It's the best way to describe this short read. Ah Maggie, she's amazing, truly. Perfect. Witty. Smart. She's kinda everything I want to be. And Rhys? Well, he's pretty smashing himself. My only downer was the length of the book. Clearly, I'm one of those people who like more story development. Not to worry, I have the second in this series ready to roll. I guess at some point I'll need to buy the others
Lady Wesley
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable little story about what can happen when an on-the-shelf spinster's brother unexpectedly becomes a duke. And gives her a dowry large enough to attract every fortune hunter in London.
Ursula
This was an ok read. I think it is pretty hard to write a novella length story convincing me that a destitute earl is not marrying the heiress for her money. It didn't really work because there was no time for the relationship to develop. It was all too neat and tied up with a bow. (He obsessed so much about the money she was bringing into the marriage, implying that his lust for her was just an added bonus.)
That said, it was nicely written, as usual for CL. It just didn't grab me.
I was also co
I seem to have a weird relationship with novellas that are prequels to longer series. I am obsessed with finding them and using them to figure out if I like a particular writing style or premise. But, I often find myself disappointed in the shorter length and often cliffhanger endings that are designed to make me want to purchase the actual series books. Thankfully, this was not the case with I Love the Earl which is an introduction to Caroline Linden's The Truth About the Duke historical series ...more
Amanda
There were so many things to recommend I Love the Earl. One being that both hero and heroine were in their thirties which meant there was little to no pretense between them as evidenced by Margaret’s glorious public set-down of Rhys upon their first meeting as well as the blatant honesty Rhys displayed when he informed Margaret of his dire financial straits. So I got a couple where there was no great misunderstanding, no manipulation, no last minute drama or noble idiocy and no sorry lack of com ...more
Miranda
4 sweet stars

photo yay3_zpsc6875ecb.gif

This is a quick read... just 125 pages I believe. Caroline Linden does a superb job at writing this story. It's short and to the point. Just the right amount of romance and scandal to keep you reading until the very last page.

I'm definitely starting on the next book in the series. I can't wait to see what all is in store for all the characters. Great way to start off a series. I look forward to reading them.

"My intentions..." His slow smile acted like a torch held to her sk
Casey
This was a lovely uncomplicated romance. I really liked the characters and enjoyed the story, and it worked well as an introduction to a new series.
Margaret de Lacey and her brother have a distant connection to the Duke and when the last of his line dies her brother inherits the dukedom. Because Margaret never married and is now 30 *gasp* she assumed she would never marry and would live out her life as the spinster sister of a duke. Her brother, however, had other ideas, and in an attempt to ma
Steelwhisper
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5*

Very charming.
Ms_prue
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this. It's only 100 pages, according to goodreads. That must be why I finished it in record time. It was good but very light on, and the conflict was barely there. However the characterisation was delightful.
It's interesting to contrast Margaret, the heroine of this novel, with Kitty from Heyer's Cotillion, which I've also just read. Both are heiresses, both are perceived as greatly improved in the eyes of their beholders by their new, fashionable outfits, and both don't take shit from
Becca
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf
I really enjoyed this story. It was uncomplicated and sweet and the characters were always honest with each other, which is refreshing because you don't encounter that often. I'd recommend this novella as a nice way to spend an evening after a long day :)

An Earl in need of funds finds a woman he could love and pursues her, recognizing that love is important to him...and he never sways from the conviction that he loves the heroine for her, not her money. How uncommon!
Keri
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. I am intrigued enough to read the first book in the series. I even understand why she wrote a prequel for Maggie and not Frances, so we shall see how it shakes out. I liked Maggie and Rhys and would have liked to have had a longer book on them.
Sofia
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical

I liked the characters and the story.

The language and writing used did not place me in the setting though.
Mariana
This was a very sweet prequel. Both Margaret de Lacey and Rhys Corwen, Earl of Dowling, are smart. As usual for Caroline Linden H/h's, they are well matched. Unlike most CL (for me at least), this book has a lighter feel with quite a few funny scenes.

Margaret de Lacey has always wanted to marry and have children. Unfortunately, with her small 500 pound dowry and average looks, she becomes a spinster of advanced years. After her parents deaths, she manages her brother's house for a couple years.
Viktoria
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a pleasant surprise and a gem in its own league. Writing short stories, especially in romance is something few can accomplish, but Caroline Linden did a very good job with I Love the Earl .
The characters did not feel plain and the banter between Maggie and Rhys was sparkling. For a time I thought it will be a five star read for me, as close to perfect in a historical romance shortie as it can get.
I admit, the first half read better for me than the second. Up till the end of the gardens sc
Minx
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute romance with a sweet ending!
Christine
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I Love the Earl is a prequel novella to Ms. Linden's newest historical romance trilogy, The Truth About the Duke, the first book of which is titled One Night In London, released in September 2011. I Love the Earl takes place several decades before One Night In London and tells the love story of Margaret de Lacey and Rhys Corwen, the Earl of Dowling. Margaret is a spinster at age thirty having never married and is nearly resigned to remain this way, although she still dreams of falling in love, m ...more
Jennie
Aug 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From Goodreads: A single lady in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a suitor

Margaret de Lacey has accepted her unmarried state with dignity, if not delight. She had no suitors when she was young and starry-eyed, though regrettably poor, and it’s unlikely any man will court her now that she’s older, wiser, and still just as penniless. Until, that is, her brother unexpectedly inherits the dukedom of Durham and settles an enormous dowry on her, making her the most eligible heiress in t
Romancing the Book
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
Reviewed by Valerie
Book received from NetGalley for a book tour

Caroline Linden, why isn’t this book longer? I want more!!! This is a new ebook being offered by HarperCollins digital line, Avon Impulse. Did I mention I felt it was too short for me because I absolutely and totally loved it?! Also, there are many references to Pride and Prejudice that you will catch if you are a fan too which only endeared the story to me even more.

This book had it all: the chemistry you want between characters, a
Robin Van Auken
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Show Me the Dowry!
This is a witty, sweet book that gave me the impression that titled yet penniless, bachelors of the Regency are similar to the athletes we worship today. Instead of football or baseball, however, their game is to land a bride whose large dowry will restore the entailed, crumbling family castle and provide a male heir to continue the vicious cycle of the Rake: rise, rot, ruin.
Margaret and her brother, Francis, unexpectedly inherit a fortune and title that changes their middle-c
Mackenzie
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Great start to a new series. This was just a novella, but it was a fun quick read and I didn't want to put it down. Everything changes when the deLaceys become nobility. As Francis takes on the role of duke, he declares that he shall shower his sister, Margaret with a very hefty dowery. Margaret, who feels herself deep into spinsterhood is thrown into the limelight.

Her coming out however is just in time for Rhys Corwen, Earl of Dowling as he has fallen into desperate times. As he searches for a
(Nat) Reading Romances

I felt like the beginning of the book has a lot of description and it took some time to get to know our hero. I understand why the writer decided to invest in such a long presentation (considering this is a novella) since I Love The Earl is the prequel for The Truth About The Duke. The "seduction" was very fun and they main couple are great together! What I liked the most about this book was the dialogue and the good set of supporting characters. All the characters sound v
Lisa C
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully romantic story of Rhys Corwen, the close to impoverished Earl of Dowling and Margaret de Lacey, the sister of the newly titled Duke of Durham. Margaret is a 30 yo spinster who does not expect to ever marry. Rhys has accepted his fate of having to marry for money if he has any chance of saving his home and reputation. Margaret has the money Rhys needs, but he soon discovers that Margaret herself is something he needs more. I listened to the audiobook version of this story, brilliantly ...more
Mey Buentipo
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas
I loved this novella. The first book I read from this author. I got hooked from the start. I don't want to stop from reading. This is a simple story, staright forward and fast paced. It is nice to have a mature h/h, in the terms of age of 30's. I just hope the series is also good the same as this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 14, 2015 09:42AM
Romance Novel Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. *SOLVED* Marriage of arranged convenience 2 55 May 14, 2014 12:02PM
The Challenge Fac...: Christina & Gea - I Love the Earl 6 21 Jan 12, 2014 11:49PM

• The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Never Deny a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #3)
  • Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • An Inconvenient Duke (Lords of the Armory, #1)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • Wild, Wild Rake (The Cavensham Heiresses #6)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • She's No Princess (Guilty, #4)
  • Counting on a Countess (The London Underground, #2)
  • Dare to Love a Duke (The London Underground, #3)
  • For the Sake of a Scottish Rake (Besotted Scots, #3)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • A Good Debutante's Guide to Ruin (The Debutante Files, #1)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Rogue of Fifth Avenue (Uptown Girls, #1)
Caroline Linden was born a reader, not a writer. She earned a degree in mathematics from Harvard University and worked as a programmer in the financial services industry before realizing writing fiction is much more exciting than writing code. Her books have won the NEC-RWA Readers' Choice Award, the JNRW Golden Leaf, the Daphne du Maurier Award, and RWA's RITA Award, and have been translated into ...more

The Truth About the Duke (3 books)
  • One Night in London (The Truth About the Duke, #1)
  • Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2)
  • The Way to a Duke's Heart (The Truth About the Duke, #3)