Start by marking “Half-Marathon: You Can Do It” as Want to Read:
Half-Marathon: You Can Do It

Half-Marathon: You Can Do It

If you are thinking about training for a half-marathon, Jeff Galloway can help you prepare well, enjoy the training and glow from the achievement of crossing the finish line. This book is loaded with tips on how to stay motivated and eliminate aches, pains, and injuries.
Published May 1st 2006 by Meyer & Meyer Sport (first published April 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Half-Marathon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half-Marathon

Start your review of Half-Marathon: You Can Do It
Matija
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, own, sports
Half-Marathon: You Can Do It is a collection of running wisdom and training programs of Jeff Galloway, one of best known running coaches and former 10k Olympian.

There are different programs for the half-marathon, depending on what time you wish to achieve. They are all based on Galloway's run-walk-run method, though much of the advice applies even if you're not using walking breaks. Then there are chapters that explain how to do speed training, hill training, magic mile trials runs, burning fat
Scott Bauer
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was OK, it was quite redundant, could had just as easily been a long pamphlet on how to start running. I got this and a few other of his books at the same time, and they are all pretty much exactly the same except for the primary training plan.
Priscilla
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My boss gave me this book when I told her I was thinking about running a half marathon. It is a great book for those who want a great running program, but have no idea where to start (like me).

The book focuses on his walk-run method, which is basically run for a few minutes (between 2-5, depending on your level) then walk for a bit (between 1-3, again that depends on your level). If you plan out your walk to run ratios, you won't get tired as easily and you'll be able to finish the half
Kristen
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Galloway run/walk method has given me the confidence to run a half marathon and this is the perfect guide to get me to the finish. The walk breaks are simply genius! I only do run/walk now even for my 5k's. Funny thing is...I'm not in love with running, but it's great exercise. The walk breaks truly make running better because it's only in short spurts (time intervals chosen by you). I spoke to a lady at a 10k that was using the method and the Galloway Timer (available on his website) and ...more
Michael O'Brien
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever desired either to run a half marathon or to improve your training for one, here is your guide and road map. This is a comprehensive book on how to get there ---- preparation, training, nutrition, dealing with lack of motivation, dealing with injuries --- everything. It's very readable, and I do believe that this book can help anyone in normal health to reach that half marathon goal. As an older runner, it even has valuable advice on how to prevent the injuries that discourage ...more
Amy
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I guess I should come back after my first half in October and to update the training results, but the book was super easy to read, and makes a lot of good points about running for the enjoyment of running, not time, and training in a way to avoid injury. I was really surprised at the accuracy of the "magic mile" to predict longer run times.

The negatives: it seems the book is a compilation of previous shorter writings, so there is a lot of repetition throughout the book and some slight
Kristyn Redahan
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I started training wih the plan on his website before i got this book. There are big differences between the plans which i dont understand, but this book fills in a lot of the missing details from the website and offers info on nutrition, cross training, clothing, and motivation. Of course i could find all this information online but there is so much conflicting knowledge out there that its nice to have one book to reference when you have a question. I'll use this book until i have some more ...more
Stampie
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: run
A decent book on running, but definitely basic. By the time I read it, I had already learned a lot of what was presented. Still good information, though. It also has several 1/2 marathon training plans, two of which I've already followed. It helped me through the Army 10 Miler and the Disney 1/2! I do love me some Jeff Galloway <3
Nicole
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, health
Good, basic information for conquering half marathons. I frequently refer back to the training plans and a few other sections of the book. Although, I do think that the information could have been organized into longer chapters of related information. If a chapter title only has enough supporting information for one or two pages (with pictures too!) then there is probably another place it can go.
Barbara
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Having walked and walk/jogged two half marathons, I read this in preparing for my third. He has some theories / opinions that go against what I'd learned in the past (re: stretching, for example)... but since I *do* want to be able to run for enjoyment/fitness for years to come, definitely worth the read.
Monica
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: runners interested in training for 1/2 marathon
Used this book to build off of a long run of 6 miles to train for a half marathon. It's easy to use, has several training plans for people that are doable (not crazy!!!) Completed my first half marathon in 2008 in 2 hours 8 minutes and plan on using the book again to run another one in May of 2009.
Kari
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book with lots of information. great training advice (hills, sprints, timing your "magic mile", long runs) and injury areas (how to treat and how to correct the running issue causing it). VERY easy read, does repeat himself quite often throughout the book. Galloway has TONS of experience running and coaching.
Mariel
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: run
Super useful read. There are training programs to prepare you for your first half, or to help you improve your time. It covers everything from form, to eating, to dealing with weather and motivation issues. It made me feel much more comfortable as I'm beginning to train for my first half.
Kristina
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
I was a little bit disappointed by this book. I found a number of things which were just unbelievable. For example, the little section on losing fat. The run-walk method seems interesting and something I might try in the future, but I was hoping for something a little more in depth, more detailed.
Nicole
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
It worked! I loved the beginners program. I finished my first 1/2 marathon feeling strong, with no injuries during training, and wanting to do it again! I am hoping to get the courage to try his full marathon program.
Traci_wom
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I plan to use this book to train for a half marathon in September. I've been using the run-walk-run method for at least a year, and I love it! It allows me to run longer distances without major pains or injury.
Theresa
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book, a lot of great info for beginning and advanced runners. We'll see though how it helps me train for my half! :) I like though that it includes several training plans to choose from and also explains pretty well certain running terms or techniques etc.
Jessietaylortanner
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fitness, 2014
i love you Jeff Galloway, but this book reads like a junior high textbook from the '80s.
Cassi Campbell
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great training book - really good for beginner runners - i use it weekly as I am training. Also a lot of great training schedules for experienced runners as well as lots of nutrition tips.
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
With the exception of a few training plans, this was really more of a general running guide (not special to half marathons, in my opinion). But the info presented was helpful nevertheless.
Lesley Looper
Dec 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: runners
Shelves: non-fiction, running
I liked getting some more training tips for my next half marathon. This will continue to be a good reference book, especially for speed workouts.
Tonia
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lots of great information on running, diet, preventing injury, etc. A good, informative read.
Craig
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
An overly-complicated book with not a lot of substance. The section on training schedules is good, but that is literally 10 pages of the whole book. The rest is filler.
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
As far as I can tell, Galloway keeps writing the same book over and over, with modifications for different distances. I've used some of the information.
Dave
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Nothing earth shattering...interesting perspective on the walking and I am using some of his speed workouts
Jen
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Getting ready for running my first half...the November 2013 Wine and Dine Half at Disney's Food and Wine festival.
Tori Miller
I don't understand his aversion to stretching, but otherwise I think his books are great for beginners like me.
Elizabeth
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some of the things he said were common sense but there was A LOT of valuable information. I see a Half-Marathon coming my way sometime in 2012!
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Excellent resource for half-marathon training! Still consulting it but marked as read as we have transitioned to the official training schedule pace for the WDW Half in Jan!
Jun 30, 2009 marked it as thrown-aside
I'm sticking with the Sprint-Tri races for now. Maybe a half next year??

• Infinite Detail
  • Divine Justice (Camel Club, #4)
  • Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #1)
  • Beastie Boys Book
  • Roughhouse Friday
  • Hemingway's Key West
  • Men Without Women
  • Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain
  • صيد الخاطر
  • How to Win at College: Surprising Secrets for Success from the Country's Top Students
  • La Femme qui fuit
  • كتاب التوابين
  • By Chance Alone: A Remarkable True Story of Courage and Survival at Auschwitz
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • Desk Reference to the Diagnostic Criteria from Dsm-5(r)
  • تحفة المحبين بشرح أسماء سيد المرسلين