Start by marking “Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family” as Want to Read:

Ina Garten, who shared her gift for casual entertaining in the bestselling Barefoot Contessa Cookbook and Barefoot Contessa Parties!, is back with her most enticing recipes yet—a collection of her favorite dishes for everyday cooking. In Barefoot Contessa Family Style, Ina explains that sharing our lives and tables with those we love is too essential to be saved just for s ...more
Published October 29th 2002 by Clarkson Potter

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated
Best Cookbooks
1,284 books — 1,159 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoThe Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion CunninghamThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie KatzenBarefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten
Best Cookbooks Ever
511 books — 204 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family
Amanda
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook-food
- Never read Barefoot Contessa cookbooks on an empty stomach.

- I want to be Ina Garten when I grow up.

- If I can't be Ina, then I want her to be my next-door neighbor.
Kristina
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Visually stimulating and mouth watering! Ina Garten makes everything seem accessible through her clear instructions. We have all read those recipes that can inspire fear just through their length. This book does not contain a single one.
Sharing food is an act of love and it makes cooking so much more enjoyable when you remind yourself that you are doing it for someone you love, whether or not it is yourself or someone else.
Since Ina firmly believes that hosts/hostesses should not spend thei
Bryan
Dec 06, 2007 rated it liked it
I like Ina's recipes/books a lot, but this book was a bit of a let down if you consider yourself any kind of a cook. Do I really need a recipe for roasted potatoes? Ingredients - Potatoes, salt, pepper and olive oil. Pretty much a no-brainer.

But the book does have some great recipes - specifically the Sagaponack Corn Pudding and the Tequila Lime Chicken. both were big winners when I made them.
Liz W
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a cookbook addict. This one is the best yet.
Shannon
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I have Ina in my life. ...more
Madnad
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before we start, I have to confess I am a little enamoured of Ina Garten. Ina, and Ree (The Pioneer Woman) are two of my favourite US cooks around today. They are similar in that they produce really tasty recipes, have a passion for great tasting food, and are fearless when it comes to not sacrificing flavour for calories. That is not to say that all their recipes are laden with fat, but that they appreciate sometimes there is just no substitute for flavour.

Ina Garten left an unfulfilling govern
Tracy O
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tracy O by: Mom & Ann
Shelves: cook-books
I've only made 3 recipes from this book so far: Linguine with Shrimp Scampi, Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomotoes (the quintessential pot-luck bring-along) and the Lasagna with Turkey Sausage. The recipes are not the very, very easiest in the world, but they are PRETTY darn easy. We're talking 30 min. prep time and maybe 30 min. cooking time, and, that's for stuff you can make for folks who are coming over to your home. There are great pictures, too - I like to know what I'm shooting for. When I was MU ...more
Stacie
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eat
Wasn't familiar with Garten until I attended a bridal shower where the food was prepared from her cookbooks - it was so delicious!! I went out and bought this cookbook!! Everything I have made has been wonderful; my husband has loved it and I have also taken dishes to functions and people have asked for recipes (so I tell them the same story about going to the bridal shower/etc.).... =) Also, ingredients are items most people have in their kitchen already (always a plus!). Yes, the recipes are p ...more
Nikki
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The recipes in this book are simple, looking over the table of contents did make me roll my eyes. Do I need a recipe for roasted asparagus? Green salad? But they still have the Ina Garten touches and simple doesn't mean not tasty. The green salad recipe, for example, is all about the vinaigrette. The roasted asparagus tastes amazing. It's a good book to give to new cooks, but I also like it for when I want dinner fast. ...more
Tracey
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Her cookbooks are a big must-have in our family. We do, however, call it 'Would you like some fatty-fat with your fatty-fat?' cookbook. Cream, half-and-half, cheese, butter all make repeat performances in many of the dishes. But in the end, does anything with those ingredients ever suck?

Favorites: The Turkey Lasagna, Sagaponack Corn Pudding and the Parmesan Chicken.
William Bitterman
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All her books are perfect but this one is just so particularly wonderful. The recipes are solid and down to earth and the pictures are really warm and fun. I love to flip through this one while watching tv.
Kate
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Love a cookbook with tons of photos. Although Ina's presentation is undoubtedly better than mine, the hubby thinks I am a master chef while cooking her recipes. Love love the parmesean chicken. ...more
Torie Brooks
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
It reminds me that eating together with the people you love is something to be done often!
Susan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have almost all of Ina’s cookbooks. There is just something special about her flair for cooking and entertaining! What I enjoyed about this edition is the quality of the photography. They appeared less staged and had a warm, everyday family feeling about them; maybe even a little retro. The recipes weren’t anything new, but good solid food. There is a helpful chapter in the back for special kid’s menus.
Talea
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, how-to
I really enjoyed how down to earth and simple she makes these recipes and party ideas. It was nice to see a nice variety that are friendly to so many different diets too or are easily tweaked to fit them in, and very nice to have a whole section for kids. The pictures are all beautiful and do their job of making you want to jump into the kitchen. I admit I’m not a big fan of her shows, but her recipes have yet to disappoint.
Amanda
Nov 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This book features some good and simple advice in the beginning followed by recipes broken down into sections. The recipes are very simple, which is what the premise of the book is about. I personally don't think these are there great of family recipes though. My kids wouldn't eat a lot of the things in here. I found a few different things I will probably try for lunches. The desserts all sounded and looked amazing. ...more
Lonnye Sue
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Many cookbooks by professionals are loaded with ingredients found only in big cities or require special cookware/tools to prepare. Garten, for the most part, avoids those issues. Her recipes are simple and delicious - her challah French toast is divine (if you can find the bread) as are the Provençal Tomatoes. I look forward to trying her Mashed Turnips With Crispy Shallots next!
Kelly
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, cookbook
Good, basic recipes for beginners, plus a bit of advice for hostesses.

We don't agree theologically or philosophically, but the lady knows a thing or two about good food*.

*Except for putting tomatoes on top of mac & cheese. That's weird.
Carrie
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one has a ton of classic recipes that are (for the most part) kind friendly. There are a lot of recipes I plan to try from this book. Tons of great full color pictures. The kid friendly hot chocolate has decaf coffee in it though. Step away from the coffee Ina.
Trish
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lots of yummy recipes in this book. Tried the sour cream banana pancakes and they were good!
Tami
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This was my first Ina cookbook and it is fabulous! I've made practically everything in this book and it's great!!! ...more
Eva Jonas
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book if you want be master chef.
Victoria Harper
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just love her cooking I learn a lot from her recipes
Lynn Fox
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this cookbook! The recipes are classics. I think this is a great cookbook for someone just starting out that doesn't quite have a handle on cooking for the whole family or a dinner party. ...more
Rachel Hanes
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has a beautiful presentation along with mouth watering pictures of the dishes that were prepared. Unfortunately for me, I only found a few recipes that I would probably actually make.
Veronica Smyth
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful pictures and easy to follow recipes!
Rachel Winner
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Not reality
Christine Laubach
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Of all Ina’s fabulous cookbooks, this is by far my favorite. It has been used a lot and is well loved. Shrimp scampi is my son’s favorite meal of all time.
Jay Bella
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to learn a lot
Kristina Rastelli
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of her best cookbooks! This one is a must if you collect cookbooks!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
  • The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
  • Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi
  • Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites
  • Momofuku
  • The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
  • The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
  • Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
  • Plenty
  • How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
  • Jerusalem: A Cookbook
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York
Ina Garten is a New York Times bestselling author and the host of Barefoot Contessa on Food Network, for which she has won four Emmy Awards and a James Beard Award. She lives in East Hampton, New York, with her husband, Jeffrey.

News & Interviews

“TRADITIONS REASSURE US THAT WE BELONG TOGETHER,” 2 likes
“I’d like to think that when I invite friends to my house, they know what I’m really saying is, “I love you; come for dinner.” 1 likes