Start by marking “Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again” as Want to Read:
Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again

Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Throughout the years that she has lived and worked in East Hampton, Ina Garten has catered and attended countless parties and dinners. She will be the first to tell you, though, that nothing beats a cozy dinner, surrounded by the people you love most, in the comfort that only your own home can provide. In Barefoot Contessa at Home, Ina shares he
Published October 24th 2006 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

Jane
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it

Most of the recipes are basic--for the home cook as the title suggests. Nothing too fancy or extraordinary. Great for beginner cooks who need a word for word walk through of the method. Not for the experimental or seasoned cook.

----------

pg 37: Chicken salad sandwiches -- I've never actually tried this particular recipe, but I'm going to say that since it's very close to my own, I like it! The o
Ariel
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
I have made the chicken salad veronique recipe many times from this book. It's very good for parties and is even better with my own addition of dried cranberries and pecans. The orange-honey glazed carrots are also out of this world. I have been making a very similar recipe from Martha Stewart for years. A great way to get the kids to eat the veggies when they taste like candy. Aside from the potato salad and maybe the chicken piccata (though I already have a million recipes for that) there isn' ...more
Steven Peterson
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love checking out cookbooks. One never knows what culinary treasures will show up in a volume. Authoors differ in their approaches and even provide varying recipes for the same dish.

In essence, the author, Ina Garten, lays out her approach in the following quotations (both from Page 11): ". . .I don't see any reason why we can't buy perfectly good ingredients in a grocery store, cook them simply, and serve an absolutely delicious meal that will delight everyone at the table." And a second obs
Justin Walshaw
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Alfonso and I decided that we should try cooking together every week... so this is where we'll start. Alfonso is an imaginary person. He doesn't really exist. But if he did, I'm sure he'd make me a lovely sandwich.
Lyndsey
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbookclub
Great cookbook with easy to make recipes! Our cookbook club made lots delicious recipes! We all found this book and the ingredients very accessible and doable.
Miranda Lynn
I will be the first person to tell you that I'm not a huge fan of Ina Garten. If she's on the television, I will immediately change the channel. I'm not sure why her personality grates on me so much (although at least she's not as bad as Paula Deen!), but I've just never really gotten into the whole "Barefoot Contessa" thing for some reason.

But...this is probably the best cookbook that I've read all year. I can't quite pinpoint exactly what I loved about it — it just seemed like it was kind of
Felicite
Dec 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Mrs. Barefoot Contessa is classy, jazzy lady that knows what she doing in the kitchen. Hats off to her Mrs. Barefoot Contessa. Lemon Squares recipe is the marvelous!
Lori
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa series are so much more than just the recipes. Her warmth, wit and passion are all translated in the stories she shares with the readers as well as the great photos of the food and places she loves in East Hampton. At Home is her lastest cookbook and although my favoite remains Barefoot Contessa Family Style, I am pleased to have this one in my collection.
There are great tasting recipes, those that have become requested favorites are; Mustard roasted potatoes, blu
Janene
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Found some treasures here! Hello, HELLO, Lemon Yogurt Cake, and welcome to my life!! So good. Other favorites were the buttermilk mashed potatoes, peanut-butter icing, a couple of vegetarian dishes to try like fresh pea soup, stewed lentils and tomatoes, parmesan roasted cauliflower. Hits! These were just what I was looking for.

In terms of practicality, however, this isn't a cookbook I NEED on my shelf. In fact, it feels like it was written for the rich East Hamptonites, complete with shout-outs
Andrea
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Contrary to its title, I am never inspired to make the Barefoot Contessa's recipes again and again. Not that I don't like her. But she seems to have such a strong following of people who love her, and I just don't like her as much as they do. How about Nigella Lawson? James Beard? Even Rachel Ray is more fun to read, though she puts together some odd combinations.
Tlwinky
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a solid cookbook. Everything made (10 different recipes) had a really nice flavor and were relatively easy to make. But I have to admit that there isn't much more in the book that I am interested in making. So many of the recipes have ingredients that are not typically in my Texas kitchen and I have a vegetarian in the house, which limits me even more. Happily, this was a public library check out and the recipes made were enjoyed. I'm not sure if I would look into any other Barefoot Cont ...more
Kuster
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ctg-cookbook
My final Ina Garten cookbook for now and one of her oldest that I have on hand. Probably because it's rather aged (published in 2006), the recipes don't seem very enticing and maybe a bit old-fashioned. However, this cookbook does include some rather appealing classic baked goods that I am excited to try.

Recipes to try:
- Lemon yogurt cake
- Chunky banana bran muffins
Alison Ivey
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I love these books and find them continually useful. Given that they are very American in approach, ingredients and measurements they still provide great ideas for dishes and occasions. A good adjunct to her tv programs.
Rebecca
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
Pictures of Recipes? Yes.
Commentary on Recipes? Yes.
Nutrition Facts? No.
Recipe style? Fancy home cooking?
Any keepers? Not really. I wasn't really inspired by much in this one. I don't think every cookbook needs her chicken stock recipe.
Kassandra
Lacy
Jessy
Dayna
Daisy
Lsilver
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No ones better than Ina for good simple delicious food. Her recipes are well written and tested. She’s never failed me.
Rachel The Baller
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Would be better if she had shoes on
Leslie
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I find her show a little on the snobby side so I thought the recipes might be too high brow for me. I was wrong. I use this cookbook so often. Unlike other photography cookbooks, the recipes are worth the fluff!
Phyllis
Guy
Jonas
Irving
William Bitterman
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adore her cookbooks and this one was no exception. A solid collection of recipes and (obviously) gorgeously produced.
Valentine
Ken
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emma B
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love the Barefoot Contessa at Home. Ina Garten and Martha Stewart are my favorites.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • The New Best Recipe
  • Frank Stitt's Southern Table: Recipes and Gracious Traditions from Highlands Bar and Grill
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary
“cool to room temperature.” 1 likes
“big sofas for a nap on Sunday afternoon; comfy reading chairs with good light and a view out the window for daydreaming” 0 likes