Start by marking “Red Sails in the Fallout: A Dungeons & Dragons Novel” as Want to Read:
Red Sails in the Fallout: A Dungeons & Dragons Novel

Red Sails in the Fallout: A Dungeons & Dragons Novel (Gamma World)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In the fall of 2012, scientists at the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva, Switzerland, embarked on a series of high-energy experiments. No one knows exactly what went wrong, but in the blink of an eye, thousands of possible universes all condensed into a single reality . . . .
Between a desert and a dried up sea lies the town of Watering Hole, the only oasis for miles and the
Published July 5th 2011 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Red Sails in the Fallout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Sails in the Fallout

Derek
My faded memories of Gamma World--has it been thirty years? Cripes, yes it has--are of a confusing salamagundi of ancient nuclear/biological cataclysm and superscientific artifacts and mutant powers and repurposed twentieth century objects and a bunch of sixth graders not really knowing what to do with any of this but wanting to play the gopher with laser beams coming from its frickin' head.

Regardless of whatever it was back then, this incarnation of the setting tries to resolve the crazy-kitche
Travis
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Red Sails in the Fallout by Paul Kidd

Red Sails in the Fallout is a stand-alone novel as well as the second book released in the new Gamma World line of novels. The first novel in the Gamma World line is Sooner Dead by Mel Odom. These novels are not connected. Gamma World is a real world post-apocalyptic setting of Dungeons and Dragons. Paul Kidd has written a few other Dungeons and Dragons based novels; White Plume Mountain, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, and Queen of the Demonweb Pits fo
Carl
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the author's Greyhawk trilogy (White Plume Mountain, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Queen of the Demonweb Pits) for the fun characters, so I read this one as well. Likeable characters doing things that matter in a fun romp through a post-apocalyptic wonderland.

Best captured by this back cover blurb: "But when the uberhuman Benek, and his love of croygenically frozen
brides, enters into the picture, what follows is an adventure for the ages."

Jeremy
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is now my favorite single book. At about 70% adventure, 20% comedy, and 10% sexy its the perfect blend. It shares a lot with his "Fangs of K'aath" novel, but with a sci-fi setting and a bit more lighthearted. I truly hope this becomes a series. This will definitely be a book I'll read again.
I would like to note that I have practically no previous experience with the "Gamma World" RPG setting, so I can't say how a fan of the setting will find this book. If the RPG is even half li
Kim
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A cute, albeit weird, tale of a mutated marsupial and lab rat who go on a grand adventure in a post apocalyptic world, becoming friends and saving the world. I want to read more!!! Solid female lead characters in a Gamma-World type setting. The characters are reasonably well developed and engaging. The setting is not heavy on realism but it does conform to its own rule set.
David
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this a lot more than the first book. Not that the first wasn't good, this just felt more like the Gamma World I was familiar with and enjoyed. The mutations, the humor, the super-science, all the fun of the game was nicely packaged in this story. Now if they'd do more like this...
Chriss
I'm loving it so far; humorous postapocolyptic adventure. Characters are great and the writing is fun. The opening action scene needed tweaking.
Roachkin
This book was certainly a thing I could read. That sounds a bit harsh. The fact is there's some really great stuff in this, but the good goes by so fast. Paul Kidd enjoys describing landscapes and he does this well, but really when there are basically three distinct landscapes within the entirety of the book, how much of a thing is this? His characters are wonderful ideas and he plainly delights in writing dialogue but when the dialogue is a repetitive buddy cop style back and forth that burgeon ...more
Dustin
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tie-in, sci-fi, future
I have to say I enjoyed the hell out of this, and it's not just because it's tie-in fiction of a game setting I really enjoy. Paul Kidd has a way of taking absurd character concepts and really making them shine. The main characters are a precognitive quoll, a chainsaw wielding lab-rat, and a sapient swarm of earwigs, and the author does a fantastic job of making them distinct from one another and making you care about their adventures.

I would recommend this for fans of fantast, sci-fi, gonzo po
Lucy
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked some of the characters in this book, despite some of the story line being unfesible. The story moved along fairly well but there wasn't much substance. If you like unique characters then this book is worth it. Otherwise, I might look for something else to read.
Kathryn Tucker
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure silly adventure. I laughed so hard through this book. Wig-wig is one of the best characters ever.
Dennis
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Too bad Wizards screwed over Paul Kidd tho.
David Jolley