Start by marking “Cultivating Inner Peace: Exploring the Psychology, Wisdom and Poetry of Gandhi, Thoreau, the Buddha, and Others” as Want to Read:

The way to inner peace is illuminated in this accessible guide to tending one's inner landscape. The lives of outstanding figures such as the Buddha, Walt Whitman, and Gandhi are used to connect the ideal of inner peace with how real people cultivate peace in their everyday lives. Peacefulness as dynamic, selective, and egoless is shown through the constructive act of choo ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Pariyatti Publishing (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Cultivating Inner Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cultivating Inner Peace

Rwildfon
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Paul R. Fleischman has been a Vipassana meditator for over 30 years. His prose is beautiful. He has taken on the work of explaining this kind of mindfullness and how to get there. Not an easy thing to do.

Lovely work.
Jule
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leben
I read this book while doing service at Dhamma Dvara, a Vipassana Center in Germany. It is such an inspiring read! I enjoyed every page of it. Fleischman introduces the main principles that are the coordinates for a life full of inner peace. And then chapter by chapter, he describes each principle and presents people who are impersonations of these coordinates. He draws from examples of their day-to-day life, poetry, writings etc.

This book is a must if you seek great inspiration, ideas and exam
Jess
Rereading again in 2013
Reread it in 2012
Finished it the first time late in 2010
Elaine
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book's sub-title explains it all. It draws from the wisdom and poetry of so many people from all over the world and from all time-periods to inspire the reader to live more simply and find more beauty in life. This book wasn't only a great read, it will be a continual re-read for the rest of my life. Scott and Helen Nearing are my new heroes, Simple Gifts the song I hope to sing to my children someday, and Monet a painter I'd like to re-discover. The first time I read it I got what I needed ...more
Jessica Zu
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I would return to again and again. When I am reading this book, I feel like Buddha is talking to me in person using a language that I could understand. Instead of telling me what I should do, it is teaching me how I should face and solve my own problems in my specific social context, using my own strength. It reveals a world of inner peace that everyone could cultivate by him/herself.
Alonso Martinez
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a jewel of a book, which should always be close at hand as an inspiration on how to live fully by seeking peace within. Although Paul Fleischman is a vipassana medidator, and describes how that tecnique has helped him reach inner peace, the wonderful passages relating to such diverse personalities from different cultural backgrounds show that peace can be achieved by those willing to live a simple and fruitful life close to nature and be compassionate with themselves and others.
Johanna
May 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book was well written, but in a very academic way. At times, the author seemed like he was trying very hard to be poetic, so it comes across as stilted. He's TELLING, but it didn't really show a picture in the mind or stir any feeling.

The book was just too dry and quite frankly boring. I had difficulty reading it for more than 10-20 minutes at a time. It actually has taken 2 years for me to finish...that's how uninterested I was.
Swaroop
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very peaceful read. Every page in this book has a very peaceful vibration to it. This is one of those books that will stay on my kindle forever and will get back to this book a lot of times. The book manages to make you feel inner peace while letting you experience the the insignificant nature of our thoughts and body since all of that is impermanent in nature.
Raghu
Enjoyed reading this book.
Chris
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Although I didn't always agree with the author, I found his insights into some of the world's great thinkers fascinating and insightful.
Jeremy Jones
rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2015
Frank
Aug 02, 2012
Paul R.Fleischman’s legacy book, "Wonder: When and Why the World Appears Radiant" expresses Dr. Fleischman’s knowledge as a psychiatrist, scientist, meditator, poet, lover of literature, and world traveler. Each chapter builds on the next and takes the reader deeper and deeper into the understanding of human life’s connection to all life. Readers of the book say that the writing is powerful and th ...more