Start by marking “The Ocean Alphabet Book” as Want to Read:
The Ocean Alphabet Book

The Ocean Alphabet Book

(Jerry Pallotta's Alphabet Books)

Do you know which deep sea creature scares away its enemies by spraying ink at them, or which fish has lights inside its mouth to attract food?

Learn the answer to these questions and other fascinating details about ocean life in this engaging and informative book.

Young readers will delight in Jerry Pallotta's words and Frank Mazzola, Jr's illustrations on this alphabetical
Published February 1st 1989 by Charlesbridge (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Ocean Alphabet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ocean Alphabet Book

Hana Sm.
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This excellent book has 27 pages. The pictures are very well drawn. The book shows animals found in the Atlantic Ocean from A to Z.

(view spoiler)
Carlye
Reaction
I was surprised. I guess I thought the book would be much more centered around the alphabet. It wasn't a disappointed surprise it was more of a pleasant surprise. Usually all the alphabets are much more focused just on the alphabet when this book went into more depth on the ocean creatures. I especially like what they did for letter X. I thought it brought a nice twist to the book. Also, it created a little discussion and interaction between the audience and the book. Also, I liked how t
Kayla
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abc-books
This author writes great books to use to introduce ABCs and words that start with each letter. This particular book is on ocean creatures, and each letter represents a different aspect of the ocean. This can easily double as a language arts and science lesson. The students can go through this book, and practice their letters. They can then create an ocean creature as an arts and crafts project.
Alyssa Fay
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alphabet-books
1. Awards: None found.
2. Appropriate grade level(s): PK-1
3. This book offers an aquatic exploration through all 26 letters of the alphabet. Many of the species introduced throughout the book will be brand new to most young readers. In addition, the author offers detailed descriptions and illustrations of each animal.
4. I really enjoy the illustrations in this book as well as the attention to detail when describing each of the animals. I think young children would really enjoy this book and I li
Janet
This is the first title from Pallotta’s extensive list of theme abc titles. While they do teach some information, this one was one fact per ocean creature. I did learn that a periwinkle is also referred to by some people as a snail and that quahogs are actually another name for clams.
Will look at other titles in the series.
Penny Scherzer
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cvtc-kidlit
This is a unique ABC book. Each letter is the name of a fish that is in the North Atlantic Ocean. Each fish has a fact or two, sometimes three. The illustrations are very nice, showcasing each fish. The vocabulary is not difficult for young readers, so would be a good introduction to gathering facts from a story in a format that a student would already be familiar with.
Heather
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
We recently discovered Jerry Pallotta and have really enjoyed the few books we've read. We now head right over to the P section of every library to see if we can find more books by him.

The illustrations are very realistic. The text is informative and funny. A couple times the kids broke out laughing.

I like these alphabet books because it helps the little ones learn their ABCs and it has a wealth of information about all sorts of animals. It's fun to see how the author has to stretch things to f
Jennifer Heise
Where Jerry Pallota's alphabet books shine is in the choice of subjects-- not the same old same old alphabet names. So the Goosefish (ugh) and the Hogfish, and even an X-- Xiphias gladius, the swordfish.
Ok, so the somewhat jocular and mostly informative text isn't inspired, and the pictures aren't breathtaking-- but if you have a science/fact junkie who likes picture books, as I do, this is a good quick read, even for a first grader long beyond the classic alphabet book stage.
Sergio Hernandez
nbfrhdeywoicfuysoire7dyvfo8cdeso9tvrfuiervgfrhvgudrfgivdszhklchfuvfjxvlhvlihxzcfijhviyfxuhilfnvjxcjvhjfxhbvhfdghskdjkgdhfuhfdldhhvbudhfvouhsduhrduifgdgidcyfgoiufdvicfiuygoiugoifdugifdyguifdyhvuisdyyfvgucdhvjcvjxcnvjknxcmvn ,mcn vmjcvnj mnm,n,cjnv jmxnc cm.v,vn.,m n,mbv.,mbkfcj;ighldrgjdfilzgidzuhg;idushigh;Djsfhgfous;hoduvhsdouivhvhvhvhvhfududududududv S
Tim Schraad
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this story can catch the attention of a class room of children quickly. Everyone knows their ABCs and have hard the usual A is for Apple and such, but not to many people have heard of typed of fish paired with letters. Maybe it is just me but this is a new look at it if you ask me!
Mckinley
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, abc, sea, fish, animal
Good text to accompany.
Deanna
Dec 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young children
Recommended to Deanna by: Heather
Shelves: science
Fun, little book. We liked learning a smidge about a lot of different ocean animals. We also liked the illustrations.
Brittany Jacobson
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because it informed me about marine life I didn't know anything about! It opened up my eyes to the kind of life that lives in the ocean!
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the alphabet books that teach me something I don't know and this one did that
Rida
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very informative it may be a baby book but I still learned things i didn't know =)
Robin
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Having lived on a New England island during the summer when I was younger, I am always drawn to ocean animals and this alphabet is really great.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 41674 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Parkerc
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
For his first book I liked it because the pictures and the information in it.
Gerilyn Lessing
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
My kids love all of Jerry Pallotta's books.
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2014
Savanna Grace
May 02, 2017 added it
Shelves: rdng-648
I like how this nonfiction book is illustrated by hand rather than supplied with photos. I was not the biggest nonfiction fan when I was young, but I would have been more open to reading this book because the illustrations wouldn't feel so overwhelming. Good information about different sea creatures.
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, science, abc
Another great scientific alphabet book by Jerry Pallotta. I am a big fan of these books.
C.M
Holly
Apr 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
My full name is Gerard Larry Pallotta but my mom always called me "Jerry". I was born on March 26, 1953 in Boston, Massachusetts. My mom's name is Mary, and she came from a family of ten children. My dad's name is Joe, and he came from a family of five children. My grandparents were immigrants of Italian descent. I have the nicest parents in the world. They have always been unselfish and ready to ...more

Jerry Pallotta's Alphabet Books (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Bird Alphabet Book