Start by marking “The Devotion of Suspect X” as Want to Read:
The Devotion of Suspect X

The Devotion of Suspect X (Detective Galileo #3)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  17,183 Ratings  ·  2,624 Reviews
Yasuko Hanaoka is a divorced, single mother who thought she had finally escaped her abusive ex-husband Togashi. When he shows up one day to extort money from her, threatening both her and her teenaged daughter Misato, the situation quickly escalates into violence and Togashi ends up dead on her apartment floor. Overhearing the commotion, Yasuko’s next door neighbor, middle ...more
Published February 28th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published August 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Devotion of Suspect X, please sign up.

Anindita I would call it a "stand out from any other thrillers in the market".
I would call it a "stand out from any other thrillers in the market".
This story is so complete in itself that it doesn't need much of context but once you finish reading the story you're sure to look forward to more of its kind.
(less)
Paul Jr. Not at all. I had actually seen a South Korean movie adaptation of it before I read the novel; so I knew most of what was coming and it kept me all…moreNot at all. I had actually seen a South Korean movie adaptation of it before I read the novel; so I knew most of what was coming and it kept me all the way through. I do wish, however, they would find a different translator for Higashino's books.
(less)

Nandakishore Varma
The classic whodunit works by misdirection, same as a magic trick. As is the case with the magician, so with the mystery writer - the more the skill in the smoothness of execution, the more mystifying the trick seems. But unlike the magician (who never tells), the author tells everything in the end: as the clever detective reveals how the public have been duped by the villain, the reader is also equally dumbfounded. The success of the mystery is in direct proportion to the amount of mystificatio ...more
Carol
The Devotion of Suspect X is a must-read for anyone who appreciates police procedurals, mysteries, math, Japan, literature . . . I could go on. The Devotion of Suspect X is the third in the Detective Galileo series, but I didn't once have the impression that I lacked background or relationship information gleaned from the initial 2 books. In fact, there were no references to prior cases or mysteries to suggest that earlier books existed. If not for the publishers blurbs on the book, I'd not have ...more
Irene
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, gave-away
Not only is THE DEVOTION OF SUSPECT X a multi-faceted cultural reading experience, but it also acutely complements the familiar psychological suspense/thriller/mystery genre by infusing Japanese philosophy. Keigo Higashino shrewdly and subtly induces the reader to contemplate the immeasurable complexities of the human psyche by questioning what motivates one human being to judge who is worthy of life, and who is not.

Tetsuya Ishigami’s daily schedule is precisely what one would expect of a Japane
Poonam
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Poonam by: Nameeta Rao
This has been one of the top thrillers I have read this year and this story is like nothing I have ever read. I will talk more about this in my review.

Firstly this is originally a Japanese novel and has been translated into English. The translation is done pretty well and the flow of the story is really good.

Basic Plot: A crime is committed and then a plan is formed to cover-up the crime.
"What they needed was a perfect defense based on perfect logic."

What happens when the investigation is bein
*TANYA*
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this book was a delight!! The plot was very good!! I had to google some stuff, lol, but I learned a few things I didn't know before this book. Thanks to my Goodreads friend, LaTonya for the recommendation.
Victoria
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jusqu'à la toute fin, j'ai cru que ce roman était une simple histoire policière très agréable à lire. L'intrigue était originale et intelligente, avec une construction rarement vue dans d'autres titres du genre, et une ambiance propre à la culture japonaise, mais sans émotions fortes. Et puis il y a eu les explications, et j'ai tout vu d'un autre oeil, avec la gorge toute serrée. Je suis très touchée par "le dévouement" en question, qui dépasse ce que l'on peut imaginer au départ, et les dernièr ...more
Marita
Devotion indeed...

Having read the second novel in this series, Salvation of a Saint, I was intrigued enough to read this one. To say anything at all about the plot might spoil the book for other readers. But what I can say is that Keigo Higashino shows how very ordinary, likeable people can commit murder given a particular set of circumstances. Writing with subtlety and gentle humour, he creates interesting, believable characters and weaves an intricate plot. Even though one knows from the start
Dyuti
The Devotion of Suspect X is the third book of the 'Detective Galileo' series by the author Keigo Higashino. The reason why I believe it has managed to attain such popularity, is because the book has broken free from the shackles of the typical 'whodunnit' format. The author presents us with a greater challenge than wondering who the murderer is: he keeps us guessing about how the murder can be hidden, in order to make it a perfect crime.

The premise of the story, as oft-repeated, is simple.

Yasu
Abhinav
Whoa! I finished reading the final 220 odd pages in less than 3 hours. That must be some kind of a personal best for me.

All of the crime thrillers I had read before this had the same template of the classical whodunit, with a few alterations here & there. But it was always on me to try & guess the identity of the culprit until the end when the book finally provides the revelation.

But what if you're already told 'who done it' in the first couple of chapters itself? Believe me, I thought t
Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ by: Peter McA
Subtle, skillful, sad.

& quite unlike anything else I have ever read.

This made me think of two intelligent people playing a game of chess. Shogi is also known as Japanese Chess

shogi photo Shogi.jpg

Impossible to review without spoilers, impossible to stop thinking about.

Thanks to real life friend Peter for pressing this in my hands,last time I was in the library.

Read it now.
Rohit Enghakat
What a fantastic book ! Brilliant plot narration by the author. One of the best books in the thriller genre I have read so far. It is about a murder and how the protagonist helps the culprit cover up the crime recreating the crime scene (not disclosing the details here). The climax is absolutely surprising and it definitely keeps the reader on tenterhooks.

I wonder if the Hindi / Malayalam movie "Drishyam" was inspired by this book. Enjoyed this immensely !
Leonard
Bắp
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Đây là tác phẩm có cảm giác được viết bởi Shakespeare : tràn ngập tính kịch và tràn ngập bi kịch
Thiên tài ẩn dật sống 1 cuộc đời chẳng ra sao. Bi kịch của anh là “chẳng có lý do gì để chết” nhưng anh vẫn chuẩn bị sẵn thòng lọng cho mình bởi “chỉ là anh không có lý do gì để sống thôi”
Thế rồi khi con lắc sắp dừng lại sau quá trình dao động điều hòa của nó thì 1 lực đẩy rất nhẹ chạm vào. Nó tiếp tục hành trình lắc qua lắc lại nhưng theo 1 biên độ khác. Thay đổi cuộc đời sau 1 tiếng chuông
Thỉnh tho
L.A. Starks
Perhaps a cultural mismatch for me: I found the pace of the book far too slow, the romantic element Victorian at best, and the idea of that brilliant physicists and mathematicians would be also brilliant in sleuthing unrealistic.

The Japanese setting is interesting. The book has good twists at the end, but the plot takes way too long to get there.
Suzy
3 1/2 stars

I was excited that one of the mystery groups I belong to here on GR picked this as the June/July group read since the audio had been hanging around in my iPod for a couple of years. I had no idea of what to expect and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this, my first outing with a Japanese murder mystery.

I especially liked the cerebral nature of the story where we follow a police detective and his physicist/ professor friend Dr. Yukawa, aka Professor Galileo, as they try t
Tisha
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tisha by: Benozir Ahmed
Shelves: favorites
I never read any book of this writer before. But after finishing Suspect X, I felt I have to read his writings more often! It was AWESOME, SIMPLY AWESOME! If you are a lover of thriller or mystery, you have to read it!

The plot was sooooooooo good! The twist in the last part was simply mind-blowing. It may seem like an ordinary murder case at the beginning. But when you continue reading, you will find out different aspects of this simple looking case and you just cannot guess the whole thing of y
Wasee
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
বই পরসঙগ :
গতবাধা মারডার মিসটরি/ করাইম থরিলার হিসেবে এতদিন যা পড়ে এসেছি, সেগুলো মোটামুটি নিরদিষট ছকে সাজানো থাকে। অপরাধ করমকানড অথবা খুন যেটাই হোক না কেন, পুরো বই জুড়ে ইঁদুর বিড়াল খেলার পর একদম শেষে গিয়ে সবকিছুর খোলাসা হয়। কিনতু গলপের শুরুতেই যদি একটি খুনের ঘটনা ঘটে, আর খুনীর পরিচয় থেকে শুরু করে মোটিভ,পলযান, অযালিবাই – সবকিছুই আপনার জানা হয়ে যায়, তাহলে আর সাসপেনস থাকে কোথায়? অপরাধীর পরিচয় জেনে গেলে আর করাইম থরিলারের যৌকতিকতা কী?

জাপানি সুলেখক কিয়েগো হিগাশিনোর সবারথকতাটা এখানেই। ডিটেকটিভ গযালিলিও স
Jr Bacdayan
Keigo Higashino: =)

Translator: You want to read this? Mwahahahaha. Eat mah shit!!!!!

Me:

Meh. Hmmm..okay. Ohh it’s getting interesting. Ayt. Who the fuck translated this??! Ohhh well. Still pretty good. Awesome. What.the.fuck. Ahhh!!! Ahhhhh!!! Whoah really??? Ahhhhhhh!!!! * welp* Whewwww. Wow. Whyyyyyy. Wow!!!

You:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

{grade school review but I should probably click like for the effort}
\
(-_-)

Boring Person:

A totally different spin
David Yoon
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a whodunit but rather a how to get away with it thriller. By the end of the first chapter Yasuko Hanoaka and her daughter Misato have killed Yasuko’s ex-husband Togashi. You could argue it was in self-defence but that’s not the point. Yasuko’s neighbor, the heavyset, round-faced Ishigami overhears the commotion and deduces their predicament. Clearly infatuated with Yasuko, he offers up his services in covering up the crime. "Trust me" he says, "Logical thinking will get us through this."

Ishi
Maruf Hossain
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who loves how done it thriller
দুরভাগযজনকভাবে মুভি দেখে ফেলার পর বই কিংবা বই পড়ে ফেলার পর মুভি দেখার আগরহ অনেকটা থিতিয়ে যায়। তবে এ বই থেকে হাইলি অযাডাপটেড সুপারহিট মুভি দৃশযাম আমার পরিয় মুভির তালিকায়। তাই বইটা পড়ার আগরহ ছিল তুমুল।

আপাতদৃষটিতে মনে হবে খুব সহজ-সরল একটা কাহিনি। ঘটনার ঘনঘটা নেই, নেই কোন দুরদানত অযাকশন-সটানটবাজি, লেডি কিলার হিরোও নেই। কাহিনি একদম ফলযাট। এক ডিভোরসি মহিলা তার পরাকতন সবামীর অতযাচারে তিতি বিরকত। শেষমেশ একদিন শয়তানটার হাত থেকে মুকতি পেতে একদিন দুরঘটনাবশত খুনই করে ফেলে লোকটাকে। মা-মেয়েকে বাঁচাতে একেবার
Selviana Rahayu
Pasti kalian pernah kan, pacaran, lalu karena suatu hal hubungan kalian putus. Namun, putusnya hubungan kalian rupanya tak berbanding lurus dengan hilangnya rasa pada mantan hingga kelak kalian tahu ternyata si mantan masih suka stalking akun sosmed kalian? Hahahaha. Nggak, aku nggak lagi curhat kok. Tapi kalau kalian pernah mengalami itu, pasti kalian paham yang dialami Yasuko Hanaoka, seorang janda beranak satu yang terus menerus diteror mantan suaminya. Yasuko bekerja di sebuah kedai bento da ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
'The Devotion of Suspect X', by Japanese author Keigo Higashino, is an amazing police procedural puzzler of a mystery! Not the crime itself - the murder victim and the murderer are revealed in the first chapter. It is during the investigations of the murder by two other characters after the murder that even more shocking discoveries are made.

This book is best if read cold, without reading the cover blurbs or reviews. Either stop here, or if you must, gentle reader, I will continue.

When I started
Hymaya
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
C'était mon premier polar japonais, et c'est une bonne surprise. Le roman s'ouvre sur le meurtre de Togashi, ex-mari violent et fainéant de Yasuko Hanaoka, qui en vient à l'étrangler, avec l'aide de sa fille, après une dispute. Le mystère ne réside pas dans la recherche du coupable, mais comment cette femme aidé par son voisin, un mathématicien brillant, va tenter d'échapper à la police.
L'intrigue est très bien menée, et le dénouement vraiment inattendu. L'écriture est très fluide, assez détaché
Sifat
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been a stunning read for me. I should admit, the story on occasion goes somewhat sensitive. By the way, this is an absolute "must read" top rated thriller story which is actually rare.

As you begin turning the pages, you would become acquainted with Yasuko Hanoaka, a single parent who has needed to move to get away from her ex, at long last snaps when he appears at her new entryway. When she and her little girl coincidentally murder him, Yasuko plans to hand herself over as the sole culpr
Nusrat Mahmood
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
জাপানি-কোরিয়ান... সাউথ এশিয়ান দেশগুলোর মানুষরা সমভবত ইদুর-বিড়াল খেলা খুব পছনদ করে। এ পরযনত যত এনাইম দেখলাম থরিলার মিসটরি জনরার সবখানে একইরকম। কে কাকে টেককা দিবে। গৎবাঁধা অপরাধী খুঁজে বের করবার থেকে অপরাধীর অপরাধ কিভাবে ঘটালো তা বের করাতেই তাদের মজাটা বেশি যেন। হিগাশিনোর সটোরিটেলিং এর কারিশমা এইখানেই যে সবকিছু জানা সততবেও শেষ পরযায়ে গিয়ে একটা তকমা লাগিয়ে দিতে পারা।

সালমান কে ধনযবাদ জাপানি থরিলার এর সাথে পরিচয় করিয়ে দেবার জনয এবং সরবোপরি এতো সাবলীল অনুবাদ করার জনয। বিদেশী সাহিতয অনুবাদ ছাড়া আমাদের
Resh (The Book Satchel)
The Devotion of Suspect X by Heigo Higashino is a brilliant thriller. The story is fast paced and impressive writing.

Yasuko lives a quiet life as a single mom with her daughter Misato. And one day her ex husband, Tigoshi, barges into her life again. And there is her neighbour, the gentle soft spoken maths teacher,Ishigami, who has a soft spot for Yasuko. When Tigoshi is rumoured to be murdered, Yasuko becomes the prime suspect. Until many versions of the truth, each unflawed, begin to surface.

I
Karthick Shiva
There are some books that just obsess you like anything and never get outta your mind.
After "Murder of roger Ackroyd", "And then there were none", Devotion of suspect has become top notch favourites in my "mystery thriller list".
Simple plot,
Clever execution,
Mind blowing deception,

culmination is a really "Awe, what the fuck".

Whodunit lovers! dont miss this..
Vivian
Wonderful. I rarely give out five stars, but this one earned it.

My second book that I've read by Higashino and I love his writing. This one was even better than THE NAME OF THE GAME IS A KIDNAPPING, and I can see how readers who enjoyed THE DEVOTION OF SUSPECT X first might have been disappointed. This was masterfully done. Again, there's an adroit use of misdirection and again, I saw so many pieces, but one--a delightful twist.

This appealed to me, and while the mystery itself, the game is grea
RavenclawReadingRoom
Trigger warnings: murder, implied domestic violence

WELL. This blew my mind. I read Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama recently and while I really liked it, it took me a long time to get to the point where I really liked it. This, on the other hand, I loved from basically page one.

I mean, I definitely did not expect to know from the very beginning who the murderer was and then see the story unfold as the police try to work out who the murderer is and the murderer nervously waits to see if they'll be cau
Anh
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phía sau nghi can X – cuốn sách mông lung như một trò đùa :v

Hiếm có cuốn sách nào có thể khiến mình ngồi đọc một lèo nguyên ngày thứ 7 như cuốn sách này.
Phía sau nghi can X ban đầu chỉ là bài toán dạng như 1 + 1 = ?
Bạn có thể nhanh chóng đưa ra kết quả cho bài toán trên và vẫn luôn tin rằng kết quả này đúng, cho đến càng về cuối, bạn dần thấy hoang mang. Bạn ngờ ngợ là mình bị lừa cmnr nhưng bạn éo biết bạn sai ở đâu hay bị lừa khi nào. Thế mới tuyệt đỉnh chứ lị!!!

Nhân vật được xây dựng rất hấp
The Chennai Book ...: Amazing mystery novel 3 96 Mar 25, 2017 09:53AM
  • Real World
  • Be With You
  • Revenge
  • Strangers
Keigo Higashino (東野 圭吾) is one of the most popular and biggest selling fiction authors in Japan—as well known as James Patterson, Dean Koontz or Tom Clancy are in the USA.

Born in Osaka, he started writing novels while still working as an engineer at Nippon Denso Co. (presently DENSO). He won the Edogawa Rampo Prize, which is awarded annually to the finest mystery work, in 1985 for the novel Hōkago
More about Keigo Higashino...

Detective Galileo (8 books)
  • 探偵ガリレオ [Tantei Garireo] (ガリレオ, #1)
  • 予知夢 [Yochimu] (ガリレオ, #2)
  • ガリレオの苦悩 [Garireo no Kunō] (ガリレオ, #4)
  • Salvation of a Saint
  • A Midsummer's Equation
  • 虚像の道化師 [Kyozo No Dokeshi] (ガリレオ, #7)
  • 禁断の魔術 [Kindan no majutsu garireo 8] (ガリレオ, #8)
“Sometimes, all you had to do was exist in order to be someone's saviour.” 112 likes
“It’s more difficult to create the problem than to solve it. All the person trying to solve the problem has to do is always respect the problem’s creator.” 46 likes