Start by marking “Tales Of The Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Tales Of The Kingdom

Tales Of The Kingdom

(Tales of the Kingdom #1)

Twelve stories centering on the adventures of two orphaned brothers who escape a polluted city ruled by an evil enchanter to seek their exiled king in the place where trees grow.

Action, intrigue, and danger follow Scarboy wherever he goes, especially in the Enchanted City, where the “imperfect” are cast away and orphans are enslaved. Scarboy manages to escape the evil Ench
Published January 1st 1983 by Lamplighter Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Tales Of The Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales Of The Kingdom

Erin
These classic allegorical tales are ones I grew up reading, and they continue to be meaningful to me now as an adult and someone who can share them with the children around me. I have just taken my Wed. night Bible class of 1st - 3rd graders through this book and they all became fans. It is easy to draw out Biblical truths from each chapter that can be applied for young ones and grown ups alike!

The 12 chapters tell the story of Hero, a young man who escaped with his brother from the wicked Encha
Hannah
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian families
I just finish my sixth or seventh read of this book (most of them having been five or more years ago), this time having read it with my 6-yr-old brother, and we both felt sad while reading the last chapter because we were almost done.
While I have appreciated the stories contained in this family book more each time I have perused them, this read (slower, because of reading it aloud) has shown me a whole new depth to the book.

Though not strict allegory, the stories in here reflect our lives as be
Angela
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book hits home. It makes you realize that you are special in the Kings eyes. There is a story about a girl who dances too much who is led by an image in the mirror. This hit home to me because I used to be as good as the people in the excersize movies. But after breaking away from this I danced before the Lord.

It brings tears to my friends eyes who see that their lives involve in this book.

It is fictional but thats alright.
I love the pictures along the sides are frames made of the story art
Reese Austin
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated and well written for a children's book. Will capture any audience.
Jessica
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite series when I was a kid after the Chronicles of Narnia. I love it even more as an adult. The stories move me to tears because they fill me with a longing to live in a community like Great Park. They remind me of simple truths about the character of God that I don’t hear very often. Worth rereading over and over again.
Vera Godley
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not particularly fond of fantasy or allegory tales but realize that they have an important place in literature and many enjoy reading the genres. In Tales of the Kingdom you have a story told allegorically; and it is a mixture of fantasy, present time, and historical characters and behaviors.

It deals with orphaned children, an orphanage, a park (a land of wonderful living), dragons, and destroying fires as well as a good king and evil enchanter. So for my mind that prefers stories more real
Heather
I stopped short of reading the last couple of stories in this book. It was recommended to me by a co-worker who really enjoyed the series when she was younger. It's a book of tales about Scarboy, later called Hero, who escapes from the Enchanted City into the woods outside, a place called Great Park ruled by the King. There he meets various friends of the King like Mercie, Princess Amanda, and the blue-clothed Rangers.

Although I liked a few of the stories, such as the one about the juggler who w
Karen
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dad, ellie, jacob, mom
Started reading during morning time..krb 6/1/16
Jacob loves this book and always asks me to read another story from it!..krb 6/17/16

The kids both said a resounding yes when asked if they would like to start the 2nd book in this series during morning time..krb 7/1/16
Lana Shaw
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows they are a Prince or Princess of a Mighty & Good King
I love this series by David and Karen Mains. The tales in this one captured my heart.
Esther
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Love love love it, must read it to your kids over and over.
Helen
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tale of the Kingdom, by David and Karen Mains and illustrated by Zhivko Zhelev, is the 30th anniversary edition of the story. It is book 1 in The Kingdom Tales Trilogy. This is a wonderful chapter book for elementary age children that follows Scarface and his brother after the death of their mother and escape from Enchanted City. They go to the forest and enter Great Park where they become members of the community, meet a lot of interesting people and learn valuable lessons.
This is a wonderful
Amy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always been one for medieval adventures. I’m just fascinated by tales of knights and dragons and maidens in need of rescue, or in some cases, doing the rescuing. At first, I didn’t see how the different chapters connected minus a few nods to other characters, but as I read on, the tales told in the pages of this book began to connect more and more. Caretaker, in particular, interested me, as he made me think of the scene with Gandalf and the talking trees in the second film in the Lord of t ...more
Lenoire
Scarboy and his brother, Little Child escape from Enchanted City after their mother has passed. They run away to seek safety in Great Park because orphans are enslaved in Enchanted City. Together with his brother, they must gather their courage to conquer their fears to locate the King their mother talked about.

The book is a series of inspiring stories for kids that teach them values such as good and evil, virtues and values, along with the importance of trusting God. To be completely fair, I am
Stephani Austin
Love, love, love this allegorical children's story. However, my husband and I are enjoying them, since my son is only 7 months. Inspiration, encouragement, and challenge lie inside as well as great reminders of who we are, who we serve, and how things are going in the world. Not expensive on Kindle...definitely recommend!!!
Anna
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it! It's fun to read children's fairytales! I always have to take a moment and adjust myself to the allegory style, which I usually don't enjoy, but once I got past that part I could enjoy the book and the applications.
This was assigned as a part of our homeschool curriculum - with mixed reviews from other readers. It took a few chapters to get into it, but the second half of the book was Fabulous allegory. I was totally not expecting my tears at the end. We are SO LOVED by The King!
Sarah Middlestead
I read this book aloud to my children (11, 9, and 4) and it was spellbinding for us all. The allegorical tales were poignant and beautiful, with the chapter entitled “Princess Amanda and the Dragon” being particularly powerful. We will be reading this again and again for years to come.
Jennifer Johnson
This series is my favorite of all time and helped fuel my love of allegories! It is the kind of book that has depth that sticks to you long after reading it. -Jennifer K Johnson(The Dark Mountain Chronicles-The House of Envy)
Laurel
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books ever. The illustrations are amazing, and the stories touch my heart.
Danelle
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom read them to me and I just LOVED them!
Emily
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A favorite childhood book, still deeply meaningful, even apart from the nostalgia.
Stephanie Waterhouse
I read book #2 before this one in the trilogy. I thought I would have an advantage...but no I didn't.

This allegory is very touching. The introduction to the characters of the Trilogy is breathtaking. So much similarity in these characters and the lives of the real world is so astonishing. [I know it's an allegory, but done so well. I believed them to be true]

There are twelve stories in this tale. Each ending with some moral truth. Could these be stages one goes through in this adventure called l
Bethany Joy
This book and its sequel Tales of the Resistance were among my very favorites in childhood. They recently re-published them with a new illustrator, and destroyed half the charm, as the original illustrations were true works of art. The stories themselves are wonderful - fantasy stories of characters who live fully (which is why cartoony illustrations are such a disservice) , but biting to the heart with truths about my own life seeking the King.

My most recent "read" was from the old, old, audio
Lydia Presley
This book is hard to describe. I've heard it read out loud so many times I almost know the story by heart, and it never fails to fascinate me.

I read a lot of young adult and cihldren's novels. I read quite a bit by myself, and even more out loud to my niece and nephew. I cannot wait to read this book to them.

The message is so beautiful it touched me as a child (I can even remember crying I was so overcome), and to this day it continues to speak to me. If your children enjoy the Chronicles of Nar
Jana Eads
I read this aloud to my four children (11, 9, 4, and 2) and will definitely be reading it again and again in years to come! A lot of these stories really got me choked up, challenged me, and helped us see some things in a new beautiful way. The authors have a deep understanding of the Christian life and incredible imaginations. The lessons learned have come up repeatedly in conversation with my older two since reading this together, and I look forward to exposing these stories to my younger kids ...more
Amy Wykes
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love these books. I have all three and they are signed by the author. My kids have really enjoyed the stories and I have enjoyed discussing the meaning behind the stories with them. Some of the meaning will go over younger children's heads but there are enough beautiful colored pictures to keep their attention. The story lines depict so many areas of our own walk with God and it's encouraging to watch how the characters develop and change. They are set up in short story form but eac ...more
Amy Rogers Hays
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-series
Scarboy escapes the evil Enchanted City into Great Park where he becomes Hero and believes in the King and the Restoration. Hero’s tale is interwoven with a collection of allegorical episodes exploring the adventures of other members of Great Park. My college wilderness instructors read these stories to us in the wild woods of Upper Michigan’s Porcupine Mountains. They are sweet and convicting. My favorite toast comes from these books: To the King! To the Restoration!
Erin Fowler
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly written! This is a compilation of short stories that have an underlying biblical message on a relational level. The stories speak of the Enchanter and the King. The King is loving and caring and takes many different forms as he impact the lives of different characters in these wonderful tales! These would make great bedtime stories. I was first introduced to these stories on a missions trip when a leader read them to me and my high school buddies.
Lydia Thomas
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the rest of the Kingdom Tales Trilogy, this is really a collection of short stories that all tie together. This collection tells stories of outcasts who are taken into a sort of park, cared for, and given new names. Some of my favorite stories are A Girl Named Dirty, about a girl who literally lives in a pigsty; Princess Amanda and the Dragon (love me some Princess Amanda); and I love the scene at the Sacred Flames at the end where everyone is celebrating.
Stacia Ahlfeld
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book as a kid by my aunt. It has been one of my favorites ever since. I didn't get all the symbolism as a child, but it always appealed to me. I would re-read it often, and am, in fact reading it to my son. I know he doesn't get it (he's only 3), but I want him to be able to read and hear good, faith-based writing. I'm hoping that some day it will mean as much to him as it did to me growing up.
  • The Bridge
  • Tell Me the Secrets: Treasures for Eternity
  • Mountains of Spices
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Treasures of the Snow
  • The Sword of Camelot (Seven Sleepers, #3)
  • Bartholomew's Passage: A Family Story for Advent
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • Chataine's Guardian (The Annals of Lystra #1)
  • The Hedge of Thorns
  • Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)
  • The Ale Boy's Feast (The Auralia Thread, #4)
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • The Light Princess
  • Mandie and the Forbidden Attic (Mandie Books, #4)
  • The Child's Story Bible
David R. Mains has been dedicating himself for spiritual growth development programs that disturb ordinary presumptions. During the year 1967 he built an experimental church in a Teamster’s Union Hall in West Chicago. Some church-planting specialists proclaimed that it can't be done but then with a few supporters, the church has grown from only 27 until 500 for ten years.

Mains' system is advanced

Tales of the Kingdom (3 books)
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • Tales of the Restoration (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)
“So the princess discovered that when one loves a forbidden thing, one loses what ones loves most. This truth is a hard won battle for each who finds it and is always gained by loss.” 15 likes
“So the two went: the boy who had escaped from darkness because he loved light more than he knew and the girl who had become ordinary because she did not realize how wonderful it was to be a princess.” 5 likes