Start by marking “Tales Of The Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Tales Of The Kingdom

Tales Of The Kingdom

(Tales of the Kingdom #1)

Twelve stories centering on the adventures of two orphaned brothers who escape a polluted city ruled by an evil enchanter to seek their exiled king in the place where trees grow.

Action, intrigue, and danger follow Scarboy wherever he goes, especially in the Enchanted City, where the “imperfect” are cast away and orphans are enslaved. Scarboy manages to escape the evil Ench
Published January 1st 1983 by Lamplighter Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Tales Of The Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales Of The Kingdom

Start your review of Tales Of The Kingdom
Emily Z
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a beautiful story. It was gripping, powerful and so beautiful. We will be reading this again.
Erin
These classic allegorical tales are ones I grew up reading, and they continue to be meaningful to me now as an adult and someone who can share them with the children around me. I have just taken my Wed. night Bible class of 1st - 3rd graders through this book and they all became fans. It is easy to draw out Biblical truths from each chapter that can be applied for young ones and grown ups alike!

The 12 chapters tell the story of Hero, a young man who escaped with his brother from the wicked Encha
Hannah
I just finish my sixth or seventh read of this book (most of them having been five or more years ago), this time having read it with my 6-yr-old brother, and we both felt sad while reading the last chapter because we were almost done.
While I have appreciated the stories contained in this family book more each time I have perused them, this read (slower, because of reading it aloud) has shown me a whole new depth to the book.

Though not strict allegory, the stories in here reflect our lives as be
Reese Austin
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated and well written for a children's book. Will capture any audience.
Angela
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book hits home. It makes you realize that you are special in the Kings eyes. There is a story about a girl who dances too much who is led by an image in the mirror. This hit home to me because I used to be as good as the people in the excersize movies. But after breaking away from this I danced before the Lord.

It brings tears to my friends eyes who see that their lives involve in this book.

It is fictional but thats alright.
I love the pictures along the sides are frames made of the story art
Esther
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Love love love it, must read it to your kids over and over.
Jessica
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite series when I was a kid after the Chronicles of Narnia. I love it even more as an adult. The stories move me to tears because they fill me with a longing to live in a community like Great Park. They remind me of simple truths about the character of God that I don’t hear very often. Worth rereading over and over again.
Sarah Epps
Family read-aloud. Not all the stories were of the same quality but many of them were good and theologically sound.
Susanne
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-the-kids
We absolutely loved this book! I read it aloud to my kids, and we loved every chapter. This will definitely be one that we’ll read over and over!
Vera Godley
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not particularly fond of fantasy or allegory tales but realize that they have an important place in literature and many enjoy reading the genres. In Tales of the Kingdom you have a story told allegorically; and it is a mixture of fantasy, present time, and historical characters and behaviors.

It deals with orphaned children, an orphanage, a park (a land of wonderful living), dragons, and destroying fires as well as a good king and evil enchanter. So for my mind that prefers stories more real
Heather
I stopped short of reading the last couple of stories in this book. It was recommended to me by a co-worker who really enjoyed the series when she was younger. It's a book of tales about Scarboy, later called Hero, who escapes from the Enchanted City into the woods outside, a place called Great Park ruled by the King. There he meets various friends of the King like Mercie, Princess Amanda, and the blue-clothed Rangers.

Although I liked a few of the stories, such as the one about the juggler who w
Amy Wykes
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love these books. I have all three and they are signed by the author. My kids have really enjoyed the stories and I have enjoyed discussing the meaning behind the stories with them. Some of the meaning will go over younger children's heads but there are enough beautiful colored pictures to keep their attention. The story lines depict so many areas of our own walk with God and it's encouraging to watch how the characters develop and change. They are set up in short story form but eac ...more
Molly
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This trilogy is a delightful allegory written for children that teaches Biblical truths in wonderfully creative ways through the art of storytelling. The Mains' use of imagination is incredible and your children will not be disappointed. There are many lessons within each story - that will delight children of all ages.
Karen
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dad, ellie, jacob, mom
Started reading during morning time..krb 6/1/16
Jacob loves this book and always asks me to read another story from it!..krb 6/17/16

The kids both said a resounding yes when asked if they would like to start the 2nd book in this series during morning time..krb 7/1/16
Kevin
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was may favorite book as a kid... It's still one a like a lot.
Lana Shaw
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows they are a Prince or Princess of a Mighty & Good King
I love this series by David and Karen Mains. The tales in this one captured my heart.
Nicholeen
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a children's book. My children LOVE it and the two others in the set. It is a beautiful parable about being a warrior for Christ.
Helen
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tale of the Kingdom, by David and Karen Mains and illustrated by Zhivko Zhelev, is the 30th anniversary edition of the story. It is book 1 in The Kingdom Tales Trilogy. This is a wonderful chapter book for elementary age children that follows Scarface and his brother after the death of their mother and escape from Enchanted City. They go to the forest and enter Great Park where they become members of the community, meet a lot of interesting people and learn valuable lessons.
This is a wonderful
Scott Jordan
Title: Tales of the Kingdom
Author David R. Mains
Awards: Golden Medalion Award

Summary:
The Tales of the Kingdom is a story told in vignettes in which a pertinent moral is disclosed to the reader. The story revolves around two brothers who escape from an Enchanted City after the death of their mother and must find the courage to find a King worth serving. A wonderfully powerful and creative story.

Review Application:
This story series would be appropriate for 3rd-grade students and up. I would sugge
Amy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always been one for medieval adventures. I’m just fascinated by tales of knights and dragons and maidens in need of rescue, or in some cases, doing the rescuing. At first, I didn’t see how the different chapters connected minus a few nods to other characters, but as I read on, the tales told in the pages of this book began to connect more and more. Caretaker, in particular, interested me, as he made me think of the scene with Gandalf and the talking trees in the second film in the Lord of t ...more
Lenoire
Scarboy and his brother, Little Child escape from Enchanted City after their mother has passed. They run away to seek safety in Great Park because orphans are enslaved in Enchanted City. Together with his brother, they must gather their courage to conquer their fears to locate the King their mother talked about.

The book is a series of inspiring stories for kids that teach them values such as good and evil, virtues and values, along with the importance of trusting God. To be completely fair, I am
Mh Weyler
My mom read this to us as a child. I remembered enjoying it. 35 years later I am reading it to my own kids.
It is a peculiar book... not particularly pleasant but full of Biblical allegory. My kids, age 11, 8, and 7 all understood much of the allegory despite being couched in difficult vocabulary and odd imagery. It is the story of a boy’s journey to die to his old self and trust the true King. We see characters who become lovely through the fellowship with the King. Sin is ugly and disturbing,
Nathan
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to re-read this children's Christian allegory that I remember as a kid. The scenario is a boy escape's from the Enchanted City (ruled by the Enchanter) and finds himself in Great Park where the people of the Kingdom serve the King, who will one day restore order to the city. The boy learns a series of lessons about accepting yourself. There are also a number of side stories. Overall, this was entertaining but I don't know if I'll pursue the second and third books in the trilogy.
Stephani Austin
Love, love, love this allegorical children's story. However, my husband and I are enjoying them, since my son is only 7 months. Inspiration, encouragement, and challenge lie inside as well as great reminders of who we are, who we serve, and how things are going in the world. Not expensive on Kindle...definitely recommend!!!
Drew Caldwell
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really did enjoy this book. Its world is immersive, but not so immersive that you can't pull yourself out of it. The story is interesting, but it's less important that you read the book from start to finish as each chapter is more of a short story, in the same world. No chapter really continues another. I would recommend this book, especially for younger children.
Sarah Middlestead
I read this book aloud to my children (11, 9, and 4) and it was spellbinding for us all. The allegorical tales were poignant and beautiful, with the chapter entitled “Princess Amanda and the Dragon” being particularly powerful. We will be reading this again and again for years to come.
Jennifer Johnson
This series is my favorite of all time and helped fuel my love of allegories! It is the kind of book that has depth that sticks to you long after reading it. -Jennifer K Johnson(The Dark Mountain Chronicles-The House of Envy)
Anna
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it! It's fun to read children's fairytales! I always have to take a moment and adjust myself to the allegory style, which I usually don't enjoy, but once I got past that part I could enjoy the book and the applications.
This was assigned as a part of our homeschool curriculum - with mixed reviews from other readers. It took a few chapters to get into it, but the second half of the book was Fabulous allegory. I was totally not expecting my tears at the end. We are SO LOVED by The King!
Danelle
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom read them to me and I just LOVED them!
« previous 1 3 next »

• In Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #1)
  • The Light Princess and Other Fairy Stories
  • The Princess and the Goblin  (Princess Irene and Curdie, #1)
  • The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #1)
  • Treasures of the Snow
  • The Golden Goblet
  • DragonSpell (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Circus Mirandus
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • The Enchanted Castle
  • Shadow Spinner
  • Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1)
  • Understood Betsy
  • The Light Princess
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
  • Hood (King Raven, #1)
David R. Mains has been dedicating himself for spiritual growth development programs that disturb ordinary presumptions. During the year 1967 he built an experimental church in a Teamster’s Union Hall in West Chicago. Some church-planting specialists proclaimed that it can't be done but then with a few supporters, the church has grown from only 27 until 500 for ten years.

Mains' system is advanced

Tales of the Kingdom (3 books)
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • Tales of the Restoration (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)

News & Interviews

“So the princess discovered that when one loves a forbidden thing, one loses what ones loves most. This truth is a hard won battle for each who finds it and is always gained by loss.” 15 likes
“So the two went: the boy who had escaped from darkness because he loved light more than he knew and the girl who had become ordinary because she did not realize how wonderful it was to be a princess.” 5 likes