Start by marking “This Year I Will...: How to Finally Change a Habit, Keep a Resolution, or Make a Dream Come True” as Want to Read:

Are you really ready to change? Take this quiz and find out.

Every New Year’s Day, my list of resolutions is:
Ambitious. I aim for everything from losing weight to saving more money for my retirement.
Realistic. I just try to bump my good behavior up a notch--be a better friend, give more money to charity---without giving myself any strict deadlines or goals.
Precise. I dec

Published December 26th 2006 by Harmony (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about This Year I Will..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Year I Will...

Start your review of This Year I Will...: How to Finally Change a Habit, Keep a Resolution, or Make a Dream Come True
K8e
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
While this book didn't offer me any strike-my-life-with-lightening wisdom and advice... I did get somethings out of it:
and here they all are:

"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." -Japanese Proverb

3- it may take 6-9 months for your brain to "get" a routine.
7- take what works for you & let the rest go
39- if you can only think of the negative- make sure you turn it into a positive emotional charge.
43- "Create a vision of who you want to be and then live into that picture as
Idarah
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
"I don't believe in New Year's resolutions." Ever said that or heard that? I actually don't believe in making huge vows at the beginning of the year, and falling flat on my face a month later. I am a believer in trying to implement lasting lifestyle changes in my life that lead to a happier/healthy me. The problems usually arise after my burst of energy fizzles out, and I am back to square one, usually 10 lbs heavier and just a smidge bitter.

What I needed was a way to organize my ideas and goal
Reshma
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I think MJ Ryan has done a great job of distilling wisdom from different fields of study and really offers some insightful tips and reminders for helping yourself set up the framework needed to create lasting and meaningful change. I feel like it's a book you want to refer to over and over, and especially use it as a companion as you are trying to make a particular change.

I read it cover to cover just to get a sense of what it offers and see if it fit with my way of thinking. Now I I want to us
Donna
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
UPDATE: this book made my re-read list this year. Even the second time around, I really enjoyed this gentle and positive reminder of living a more purposeful life. I always need reminders....my memory isn't what it used to be.

---------------------------------

I liked this book and from time to time, I need to read books like this. They serve as a reminder and they give me a boost of encouragement. This information was well organized and presented in a usable way. Was there anything new in this?
Rachael  Fryman
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Some interesting information but the audio book was really dry and hard to focus on and I found my mind wondering very often. Might try to revisit this in the future in a physical book.
Dang
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is about 225 pages about how to get off your duff and start making changes--losing weight, quitting smoking, changing jobs, etc. As a busy person, and frequent procrastinator, I found the short chapters very convenient. Even I could find time to read a few pages, then put it down. But, in fact, once I started, it became hard to put down, and I was on course to finish it in a week, until... well, until page 147. Up to this point, the stories had been a mix of recounted/anecdotal stories with ...more
Ibrahim Niftiyev
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, t.his was a nice book actually. I liked it due to the fact that I'm personally facing various habitual and routine-development related challenges and supporting such processes with these type of books can be useful. Ryan is writing with a sign of great experience and not only backing on scholarly popular concepts. However, always remember that these type of books can be only support not tools. The results from personal development books can be 3-4 time higher when you are personally facing ...more
Joan
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who want to really see a goal reach its fruition
Recommended to Joan by: John Tesh Radio Show
I'm one who boldly says I'm reading a self-help book,
...and that's usually all the self-help I get from it. I make motions and wishes in the right direction, but then seem to get stuck, or fall back into the comfort zone of the old routine, rather than rally myself toward the unknown of change.
This book's advice was mixed in well with the author's own struggles to change habits and work toward her strongest desires. She isn't promising results in 3 weeks, like many magazine articles/diet product
Melani
May 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Okay, so I have to preface by saying that I did learn some things from this book. There was some interesting technical information about how our brain forms neural pathways during our lives, and actions that move contrary to those neural pathways seem less natural to us. These neural pathways are what makes it difficult for us to change and cultivate new habits; our old habits are hard wired into us. I enjoyed this aspect of the book, however, I did not get much out of the quotes from Meryl Stre ...more
Rorie
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
last year I decided to take on a new good habit every month, stuff I had been saying I would do, little things (regular flossing, drinking enough water, etc., regular excercise) I finished out the year with 6 new good habits I didnt have before. This year has been trickier, as its the stuff I didn't get to stick last year and I'vebeen trying to figure out why. that's why I picked up this book.
a lot of what I learned last year in this book in a readable, distilled and backed up with some neurolo
Eric Montag
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a pretty big fan of this author. This book is composed of many small chapters, with each chapter being 2-3 pages. Chapter headings include things like, "AA Is On To Something- One Day At A Time" and "Don't Despair: Understand The Three Stages Of Learning." So if you don't want to read the whole book cover to cover, it is very easy to skim the contents and just read the chapters that you think will apply to you. Some of the chapters seem like common sense, but I do also think that it is true ...more
Maria
Change, growth, goals are things that we all aspire to and Ryan is here to encourage the reader on. She reminds the reader to figure out the why behind the reason to change, be clear about the how and plan for disruptions. Change is hard so reward yourself, with notice and praise along the way.

Why I started this book: Once again, all my library holds arrived at once... good thing that the one due first, is the one that will cheer me on to read the others.

Why I finished it: Quick read and a soli
Leslie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best self-help book I have read. And I have read it twice. What I find most helpful is that it guides you through the practices and pitfalls of change in general. The information here can be used to help you get healthy, quit an addiction, provide yourself with better work/life balance, or even write that book you have been dreaming of. Great book...I took notes.
Chad
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The usual stuff for achieving goals: be specific, write them down, track progress, measure and don’t procrastinate or try for the impossible where failure is certain. But, the best advice in the book was forgive yourself for slip ups and keep trying—don’t give up
Karen
If you are needed some inspiration on how to change, listen to this audiobook. Nothing new but always need to hear this information again and again.
Happyreader
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mind-altering
My boss and I argue endlessly over whether it's possible for people to truly change their habits and lose weight. He votes no because he's having problems shedding some weight and he sees many patients not keeping commitments to lose weight. I vote yes because I think all change depends on your mindset and I've had patients suddenly make that mental shift and lose the weight. While this book isn't focused directly on weight loss, it's all about how to shift your mindset so that you're ready to m ...more
Anna
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
For me, this book arrived a bit too late. I have already, more or less, and with some failures along the way, figured out how to keep the resolutions myself (or maybe with some help of the zillion self-help books I've read on the subject before :)). So most of the time I couldn't help thinking "hey, that's exactly what I'm doing" - defining my goals with precision, setting deadlines, keeping record of the current progress etc. However the great thing about the book is that it gathers all the met ...more
Andrea James
May 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
It's probably unfair to simply say that this is a basic book because it may seem basic only because as a trainer/coach I've read so many others and hence I'm familiar with the advice that is commonly spouted.

I listened to this on audiobook whilst running and admittedly once in a while I do miss one or two things that is said because I'm momentarily distracted by some obstacle and it's too much of a hassle to rewind the audio. Anyway, another reviewer (Dang) pointed out the following:

Until I got
7jane
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent, this book is made of several chapters of helpful hints on how to reach one's goal, no matter what. Made so many notes while reading this, and for me it's a good sign - this book has much to give and I never got a feeling that I was being patronised or made to feel inferior, unlike some other 'helpful' books. The size of the book, despite being a hardback, was easy to handle.
For those who want one book on setting goals, working on goals, sticking to working on goals, and reachin
Kristal
Dec 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kristal by: anyone looking to change habits or write resolutions
This book gives great insight to the psychology behind changing a habit or sticking to a resolution and how to evoke different parts of the brain and your emotions in order to make the habit long term. Very easy to read. Be prepared to do some writing as you are reading to help when you get to the task of creating resolutions
Bailey Olfert
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Although this book has quite a lot of helpful information, it isn't as in-depth as some of the other habit-related books I have recently read. I only rated it two stars more because of my own situation than because of any weakness in the book: you have to be at a place in your life where you're able to choose a goal in order to effectively use this book.
Rasha
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot, although it didn't say something new but it inspired me to priotize my resolutins and try to keep them again after I lost faith in myself and my ability to achieve what i've set my mind to, it worth reread to digest all its strategies and advices.
Sasha
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
The trade-offs you make with how you spend your time and who you give it to reveal what you truly care about. Covers all the stages of changing a habit - right from the conception of change, letting go of beliefs holding you back, to failing the first time, revising and re-trying.
Nancy
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've ever read on how to realize your resolutions, with practical methods to get you started and keep you on track.
Jeanne
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent little snippets to get you motivated. A+
Rachel Bauer
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring quick read that will change the way you set goals and reach them.
Mashael
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really good one to help though changing your habits . Strongly recommended
Baron Van Radabaugh
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very easy read. A big help at taking big goals and showing you how to approach them, focus on each step, and congratulate yourself along the way.
Emily Mellow
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nutrition-health
I seriously recommend this book to anyone. I love MJ Ryan, her books are so well written and thoughtful. This book is chock full of ideas for making a change stick.
Lorri
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I enjoyed reading, and taking notes, on some of the ideas presented on making change. Interesting reading about changing neural pathways.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
  • Хочу и буду. Принять себя, полюбить жизнь и стать счастливым
  • Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams
  • Edgy Conversations: How Ordinary People Can Achieve Outrageous Success
  • Hell Week: Seven Days to Be Your Best Self
  • The Power of Focus
  • 45 татуировок продавана. Правила для тех, кто продает и управляет продажами
  • It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff
  • The Art of Extreme Self-Care: Transform Your Life One Month at a Time
  • The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits
  • Man, the Manipulator
  • Stick with It: The Science of Lasting Changes
  • The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin
  • 45 Татуировок менеджера
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • A Journal: EVERYTHING IS FUCKED: A BOOK ABOUT HOPE BY MARK MANSON: unwind your creativity; journal your thought
  • The 3-Minute Rule: Say Less to Get More from Any Pitch or Presentation
  • Мастер ветров и закатов (Сновидения Ехо #1)
MJ Ryan is one of the creators of the New York Times bestselling Random Acts of Kindness series and the author of The Happiness Makeover (nominated for the 2005 Books for Better Living award in the Motivational category), Attitudes of Gratitude, The Power of Patience, Trusting Yourself, The Giving Heart, and 365 Health and Happiness Boosters, among other titles. Altogether, there are 1.75 million ...more

News & Interviews

“We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand…and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it’s too late. —MARIE BEYNON” 3 likes
“Because it takes work, often a lot of work and sacrifice, you have to really want to bring something into being.” 2 likes