Start by marking “A Previous Engagement” as Want to Read:
A Previous Engagement

Read Book

A Previous Engagement

Tessa Monroe knows how to do exactly two things: climb her way up the corporate ladder and cheer up her best friend Christian Douglas, the main man in her life since paste was a snack. With the exception of a Ring Pop proposal and a pool-side kiss in college, not much has changed between them in 25 years. Now that they’re all grown up, the two friends find themselves heade ...more
Paperback, 1st, 210 pages
Published July 9th 2011 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about A Previous Engagement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Previous Engagement

Huma Rashid
Feb 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oh. My. God. This was terrible.

I had this book on my Kindle (Thanks, Pixel of Ink!) and wanted something to read to unwind before bed as I waited for my Tylenol PM to kick in. (Wasn't feeling well - I always want to read romance novels when I'm under the weather. It's a thing with me.)

It was absolutely terrible. The heroine was unlikeable. That's just the best way to put it. She was just unlikeable. Not a terrible person, but just someone I could never imagine myself rooting for. She was just u
Julia Hughes
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, romantic
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road ... Like many of us who yearn for somewhere over the rainbow, Tess Monroe discovers that happiness and her heart’s desire can be found in her own back yard.

This is a classic ‘boy next door’ story, romance in its purest form and I lapped it up unashamedly.

Although a tale as old as time itself, the author breathes life into her characters, and I practically experienced a New England Spring, and walked in the marbled halls of Prime Investments with Tess as she applied he
Constance Av
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a light and not so thrilling story. Our main protagonist, Tessa, is a workaholic and her life depends on her job and her career. She has two really close friends and one of them is Christian. While Tessa tries to show her talent and how much her job means to her, Christian breaks up with his fiancée and now he is searching for a new woman aka wife, as he is so determined to get married.

Firstly, the way the story begins is very pleasant and happy an cute, but I don't think 5 year old -th
Nicki
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I've won this through Goodreads' First Reads Program. I really loved this book; I couldn't put it down! It was a great romance novel. I didn't like the fact that Tess needed a man in her life to be happy, but I was willing to go with it because, hey, it's a romance novel and that's what happens. By the end, I was just screaming for her to get together with Christian already, because it was so obvious that he loved her. I'd recommend this book for anyone! :)
Jason Halstead
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romance fans
Recommended to Jason by: Stephanie Haddad
Either because of my testicles or because I'm just that way, I avoid romances. They seem to only be possible when incredibly stupid people are the characters. The main character in A Previous Engagement (a clever title, by the way), fits the category perfectly. I thought the male paramour did as well until I was most of the way through the book. Then I realized he wasn't suffering from a series of major concussion, he was just overly sentimental and emotional for a man. Definitely not a man's ma ...more
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
A Previous Engagement is very typical, predictable chick lit. The reason that I can't give it more than two stars, is that there was really nothing at all unique or surprising in this story. In fact, the miscommunications that occurred to keep the two main characters, Tessa & Christian, apart, were so predictable that it wasn't even interesting. In fact, if Tessa & Christian had actually ever talked or acted like the almost 30 year old adults they were supposed to be, there would have be ...more
Tina
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think I ultimately enjoyed this book so much because I could relate to it.
My best friend growing up was a boy. No one could understand how we could be friends and nothing more. It caused issues in many of our relationships, often times requiring one of us to fade into the background for the other persons happiness.
We, however, remained only friends through the years and are now both happily married to other people.
That doesn't stop me wondering what might have been. This book let me delve into
Katelyn Tustin
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. Here is why: it is suppose to be a nice fun romance comedy. And that is exactly what you get. Are some of the plot obstacles typical to a romance comedy? Of course! There is a reason why they are typical, it is because they work. Tess is a flawed character which is exactly how I like them. Perfection is boring and I want nothing of it. The book is a perfect length. It gets you invested but does not drag on in mindless chatter just to please critics who want some deep meanin ...more
Sewlyfluff
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A cute and fun read - I read it in about 1.5 days. It was a catching story - that I couldn't put down and wanted to know what would happen. It was a little frustrating the obviousness of their feelings and their utter unawares. But this is what made me not want to put it down because I just wanted them to figure it out! I know this frustration first hand - I've been in a VERY similar situation - and by the time we figured it out it was too late for us - but although you may think its annoying an ...more
BookWorm 221
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Book number 6 of the year. A previous engagement by Stephanie Haddad. I gotta be honest and say that the first thing that I noticed about this book was that it was for free on kindle, but what a great book, it's just fun and a good read really, there's a lot of romance and friendship all that things that make this book and excellent read for girls, I read it in about a day and a half and left me wanting to read other works by this author.
Stephanie
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I absolutely loved this book!! It was such a nice light read and I really found myself sucked in. I loved how much the Tess and Christian showed their emotions and just how connected the two of them were. I found myself really feeling for the characters, more than I ever have before. I really want to check out more books from this author, I didn't want this one to end!
Natalia
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When i was reading this book it was like i was watching a romantic comedy type movie(which i personally loooove). It was so cute and made me want to keep reading all the time, wanting to know what was going to happen next. So if your into romantic books and even movies, this is definetly one you should read. =)
Nicole Hanson
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky and won this book as a giveaway here on goodreads. I'm so glad that I did cause I LOVED IT! After the first chapter I did not want to put it down! I loved all the characters and am sad that the book is over! I could have read on and on to find out what happens to them!
Kathleen Crowell
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick easy read. Fun--predictable, but worth the time if you enjoy these types of romances/chick lit. I could dissect it a bit, but it's not worth it--it was a fun read--don't think it was meant to be a literary character study...
Jill
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of several free or almost free books I downloaded to my Kindle. It was a fun quick read. Fairly predictable but still lots of fun.. Not generally a fiction reader so I was suprised.
Tammy  Tracy
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not huge on romance books but a surprisingly wonderful read, I still want to know more like whether she persued a case against her boss's advances. I was swept away loved it.
Danielle Calabrese
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good book (that was free on Amazon!) about friends who have been in love with one another their whole lives, but are too afraid to come clean.
Brynn Marie
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute fast light romantic read. Definitely one of the better free books I have grabbed off of Amazon.
Summerscent
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I just finished reading this one, and it was a fun and easy read. Some parts made me laugh out loud, and the dynamics of Christian, Tessa and Kendra is fantastic. A great read!
Michael Haddad
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has great characters that you'll want to care about, but it's also clever and funny. It's a good balance of comedy and romance that even non-romance readers will enjoy.
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Typical easy read, "girls" book... A quick read to pick up on the weekend to pass the time. Typical romantic ending! Found it on iBooks for free and decided to try it out on my iPod.
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, clean
Tomi
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read. The humor was genuine and the friendship between the characters was believable. I will be looking for more books by this author.
Rachael Fenlon
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic love story

Kept me tuned in, some very cute moments, very typical chick flick book, few typos but no big deal there
Chelsea
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Vapid.
Bianca
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
*Originally reviewed on Pages Of Forbidden Love

Tessa and Christian have been best friends since they were small children. With a long and strong friendship like theirs you would think nothing could tear them apart. Unfortunately, both Tessa and Christian are looking for different things in life. Their struggle with getting everything they want is just the thing to test their friendship. Tessa is trying to be fully focused on work. She wants to build a great career and Christian is ready to settl
Brianna
  • Project Daddy
  • Ties That Bind
  • Bound to Love
  • When the Heart Falls
  • Build A Man (Serenity Holland, #1)
  • Siren's Song (Bandit Creek, #2)
  • Tides Of Love
  • Love In A Small Town
  • South Beach Cinderella
  • The Do-Over
  • Lucky at Love: Some Guys Just Never Give Up...
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • Fresh Powder
  • Sleeping with Paris (A Paris Romance Book 1)
  • Murder Over Easy
  • My Boyfriend's Back
Stephanie Haddad’s earliest works featured unicorns and talking pumpkins who overcame adversity, evil, and the threat of being baked into pies. With age, her writing has evolved to more grown-up topics, like love and the complicated relationships between people. As a life-long lover of cheerful fiction, she strives to tackle real-world issues with wit, hope, and lots of humor. Her short stories ha ...more