Start by marking “A Previous Engagement” as Want to Read:
A Previous Engagement

Read Book

A Previous Engagement

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  1,548 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Tessa Monroe knows how to do exactly two things: climb her way up the corporate ladder and cheer up her best friend Christian Douglas, the main man in her life since paste was a snack. With the exception of a Ring Pop proposal and a pool-side kiss in college, not much has changed between them in 25 years. Now that they’re all grown up, the two friends find themselves heade ...more
Paperback, 1st, 210 pages
Published July 9th 2011 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about A Previous Engagement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Previous Engagement

Huma Rashid
Feb 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oh. My. God. This was terrible.

I had this book on my Kindle (Thanks, Pixel of Ink!) and wanted something to read to unwind before bed as I waited for my Tylenol PM to kick in. (Wasn't feeling well - I always want to read romance novels when I'm under the weather. It's a thing with me.)

It was absolutely terrible. The heroine was unlikeable. That's just the best way to put it. She was just unlikeable. Not a terrible person, but just someone I could never imagine myself rooting for. She was just u
Julia Hughes
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, romantic
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road ... Like many of us who yearn for somewhere over the rainbow, Tess Monroe discovers that happiness and her heart’s desire can be found in her own back yard.

This is a classic ‘boy next door’ story, romance in its purest form and I lapped it up unashamedly.

Although a tale as old as time itself, the author breathes life into her characters, and I practically experienced a New England Spring, and walked in the marbled halls of Prime Investments with Tess as she applied he
Constance Av
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a light and not so thrilling story. Our main protagonist, Tessa, is a workaholic and her life depends on her job and her career. She has two really close friends and one of them is Christian. While Tessa tries to show her talent and how much her job means to her, Christian breaks up with his fiancée and now he is searching for a new woman aka wife, as he is so determined to get married.

Firstly, the way the story begins is very pleasant and happy an cute, but I don't think 5 year old -th
Nicki
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I've won this through Goodreads' First Reads Program. I really loved this book; I couldn't put it down! It was a great romance novel. I didn't like the fact that Tess needed a man in her life to be happy, but I was willing to go with it because, hey, it's a romance novel and that's what happens. By the end, I was just screaming for her to get together with Christian already, because it was so obvious that he loved her. I'd recommend this book for anyone! :)
Jason Halstead
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romance fans
Recommended to Jason by: Stephanie Haddad
Either because of my testicles or because I'm just that way, I avoid romances. They seem to only be possible when incredibly stupid people are the characters. The main character in A Previous Engagement (a clever title, by the way), fits the category perfectly. I thought the male paramour did as well until I was most of the way through the book. Then I realized he wasn't suffering from a series of major concussion, he was just overly sentimental and emotional for a man. Definitely not a man's ma ...more
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
A Previous Engagement is very typical, predictable chick lit. The reason that I can't give it more than two stars, is that there was really nothing at all unique or surprising in this story. In fact, the miscommunications that occurred to keep the two main characters, Tessa & Christian, apart, were so predictable that it wasn't even interesting. In fact, if Tessa & Christian had actually ever talked or acted like the almost 30 year old adults they were supposed to be, there would have be ...more
Tina
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think I ultimately enjoyed this book so much because I could relate to it.
My best friend growing up was a boy. No one could understand how we could be friends and nothing more. It caused issues in many of our relationships, often times requiring one of us to fade into the background for the other persons happiness.
We, however, remained only friends through the years and are now both happily married to other people.
That doesn't stop me wondering what might have been. This book let me delve into
Katelyn Tustin
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. Here is why: it is suppose to be a nice fun romance comedy. And that is exactly what you get. Are some of the plot obstacles typical to a romance comedy? Of course! There is a reason why they are typical, it is because they work. Tess is a flawed character which is exactly how I like them. Perfection is boring and I want nothing of it. The book is a perfect length. It gets you invested but does not drag on in mindless chatter just to please critics who want some deep meanin ...more
Sewlyfluff
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A cute and fun read - I read it in about 1.5 days. It was a catching story - that I couldn't put down and wanted to know what would happen. It was a little frustrating the obviousness of their feelings and their utter unawares. But this is what made me not want to put it down because I just wanted them to figure it out! I know this frustration first hand - I've been in a VERY similar situation - and by the time we figured it out it was too late for us - but although you may think its annoying an ...more
BookWorm 221
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Book number 6 of the year. A previous engagement by Stephanie Haddad. I gotta be honest and say that the first thing that I noticed about this book was that it was for free on kindle, but what a great book, it's just fun and a good read really, there's a lot of romance and friendship all that things that make this book and excellent read for girls, I read it in about a day and a half and left me wanting to read other works by this author.
Stephanie
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I absolutely loved this book!! It was such a nice light read and I really found myself sucked in. I loved how much the Tess and Christian showed their emotions and just how connected the two of them were. I found myself really feeling for the characters, more than I ever have before. I really want to check out more books from this author, I didn't want this one to end!
Natalia
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When i was reading this book it was like i was watching a romantic comedy type movie(which i personally loooove). It was so cute and made me want to keep reading all the time, wanting to know what was going to happen next. So if your into romantic books and even movies, this is definetly one you should read. =)
Nicole Hanson
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky and won this book as a giveaway here on goodreads. I'm so glad that I did cause I LOVED IT! After the first chapter I did not want to put it down! I loved all the characters and am sad that the book is over! I could have read on and on to find out what happens to them!
Kathleen Crowell
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick easy read. Fun--predictable, but worth the time if you enjoy these types of romances/chick lit. I could dissect it a bit, but it's not worth it--it was a fun read--don't think it was meant to be a literary character study...
Jill
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of several free or almost free books I downloaded to my Kindle. It was a fun quick read. Fairly predictable but still lots of fun.. Not generally a fiction reader so I was suprised.
Tammy
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not huge on romance books but a surprisingly wonderful read, I still want to know more like whether she persued a case against her boss's advances. I was swept away loved it.
Danielle Calabrese
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good book (that was free on Amazon!) about friends who have been in love with one another their whole lives, but are too afraid to come clean.
Brynn Marie
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute fast light romantic read. Definitely one of the better free books I have grabbed off of Amazon.
Summerscent
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I just finished reading this one, and it was a fun and easy read. Some parts made me laugh out loud, and the dynamics of Christian, Tessa and Kendra is fantastic. A great read!
Michael Haddad
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has great characters that you'll want to care about, but it's also clever and funny. It's a good balance of comedy and romance that even non-romance readers will enjoy.
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Typical easy read, "girls" book... A quick read to pick up on the weekend to pass the time. Typical romantic ending! Found it on iBooks for free and decided to try it out on my iPod.
Tomi
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read. The humor was genuine and the friendship between the characters was believable. I will be looking for more books by this author.
Rachael Fenlon
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic love story

Kept me tuned in, some very cute moments, very typical chick flick book, few typos but no big deal there
Chelsea
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Vapid.
Bianca
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
*Originally reviewed on Pages Of Forbidden Love

Tessa and Christian have been best friends since they were small children. With a long and strong friendship like theirs you would think nothing could tear them apart. Unfortunately, both Tessa and Christian are looking for different things in life. Their struggle with getting everything they want is just the thing to test their friendship. Tessa is trying to be fully focused on work. She wants to build a great career and Christian is ready to settl
Brianna
Jen Chatfield
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Jen Quintanilla
Jan 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I kept waiting for this book to get better and it just never did. The main character (Tessa) was annoying and for most of the book I wanted to smack her. She wasn't at all likable and I could not understand how the other characters could stand to be friends with her. Also, this book had way too many little issues hanging around the periphery that in the hands of a good writer would have aided in serious character development (like Tessa's mom and apparently crappy childhood that we are never tol ...more
  • L.A. Caveman
  • Sleeping with Paris (A Paris Romance Book 1)
  • Almost a Bride
  • Ties That Bind
  • No More Lies
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • Build A Man (Serenity Holland, #1)
  • When the Heart Falls
  • South Beach Cinderella
  • Bound to Love
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • Intimate Strangers
  • Kiss Me Crazy (The Fitzgerald Family, #3)
Stephanie Haddad’s earliest works featured unicorns and talking pumpkins who overcame adversity, evil, and the threat of being baked into pies. With age, her writing has evolved to more grown-up topics, like love and the complicated relationships between people. As a life-long lover of cheerful fiction, she strives to tackle real-world issues with wit, hope, and lots of humor. Her short stories ha ...more
More about Stephanie Haddad

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be