Start by marking “A Carpenter's Life as Told by Houses” as Want to Read:

A Carpenter's Life as Told by Houses

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A Carpenters Life as Told by Houses
Published September 13th 2011 by Taunton Press

To ask other readers questions about A Carpenter's Life as Told by Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Carpenter's Life as Told by Houses

Joe
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, work
I wish I’d known Larry Haun. From his writing he comes across as one of those spry, sometimes cranky, remarkably ageless carpenters you meet from time to time who love their work and understand the deeper meaning of their craft. Best of all, his passion was for creating durable, practical housing. Not McMansions. Not ego-castles. Just shelter, a basic human need.

Here’s the purpose of the book in Larry’s own words:
I can’t help but wonder about the relationship between people and their homes. How
Nancy
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
part cultural history, part memoir, part "how to frame a house" instructions. Larry Haun is a lifelong carpenter who also writes for "fine homebuilding" magazine.
the book's pleasure is diluted by his long digressions into "why can't we all see how we're ruining the planet/the atmosphere/etc." plaints. They are nothing you haven't heard before, while his own story is definitely something you've NEVER heard before.
I will never forget this description of the sod houses of Nebraska, and the winds t
Rogue Reader
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: architecture
The title is wonderful, isn't it? "A Carpenter's Life as Told by Houses". Larry Haun spent his early years in a Nebraska sod house, and building with wood must have had magical properties, growing up as he did on the great plains where trees and lumber were so scarce. Haun's narrative voice is so calming, and so loving of the earth, his fellows and his craft, it was a real pleasure to read his biography.

Throughout his life, Haun moved from job site to job site, building stick houses in developme
Mary Soderstrom
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I bought this book for my husband on the strength of a story in the New York Times about a year ago. (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/gar...) Larry Haun had written a lot for Tauton Press publications, which my husband loves: he has a nearly complete set of Fine Woodworking.

Therefore I expected this story of Haun's life and the houses he knew and built would be a big hit. But my husband cmplained that it was poorly organized and written, and without a good focus. When I told him that the book
EThayer3
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I love houses and everything about them. I like to know the history behind them, how they are made. I'm especially intrigued by older houses. I loved the beginning of this book, started out describing some old style houses of the west. Very interesting to me. I read other reviews of this book where people said they got tired of the author's "preaching" and in the beginning I didn't see how that fit what I was reading. It quickly changed though. He is very into "green" and save the earth and what ...more
Mscout
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, how-to
This was an enjoyable book, if a little on the preachy side. Haun is a master craftsman/carpenter and tells the story of his life through the houses in which he has lived and those he has built. There are many fascinating stories here that make the book worth reading.

Where it breaks down a bit is in the incessant hearkening back to a simpler time and eco-lecturing. While he is absolutely correct in his sentiment, it reminds me of nothing so much as a crotchety old fart standing on the porch yel
AJ
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
There are not many philosophers anymore, and those that are around are in universities somewhat isolated from the common person. That is what made this book interesting. Larry Haun, who is a life long carpenter from the Great Plains, is also an insightful sage on many topics of life and building.

Born during the Great Depression, he tells the story of housing through the eyes of a carpenter. One of the wonderful parts of the book were all the questions he asks along the way. Instead of giving ane
Angela
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So far I'm only a couple of chapters in and I'm loving it!

This book was supplied by the publisher for review purposes.

A Carpenter's Life as Told by Houses is an incredible book. Larry Haun tells his life story using houses that he has experienced building or watched being built. The information included for each type of house is thorough. But his experiences shared during each chapter outshine the housebuilding. After reading this I have found myself looking up this author and wanting to read mo
Ben
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
A truly excellent memoir from an author and builder who did much to advance what we now know as production framing. Having read Larry's How to Build a House and wished for a little more detail during his tangential stories, this book was perfect for me. It's certainly not about how to be a carpenter, but it is about how to inhabit the world in which he live. If he seems to spend a little too much time belaboring a few simple ideas, it's because he finds them to be critically important. Highly re ...more
Michelle
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-borrowed
There are good moments in this book that are ultimately outweighed by the preachy "society isn't as good as I am" comments that litter the end of every segment. I found that the positive nature of what the author had to say were dramatically outweighed by very self-aggrandizing nature of these comments. I found myself distinctly not liking the author by the end of the book.
Wendy Horner
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is well described as "part memoir, part cultural history". I learned a lot about the history of houses in our country and enjoyed the way it was interwoven with personal stories from his life. I found myself nodding my head in agreement with many of his points, laughing aloud, and reflecting on the choices I've made in my life. This was far more than I expected from this book.
Terrance
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Mr. Haun is very interesting in his coverage of houses. His writing style for me is disruptive, more like an editorial or a short story. He frequently (every chapter) espouses the need to live more green, which I agree with. It does get tiring when reading a book about houses to here the author step up onto his soapbox. He then gets off and goes on with the story
Alex
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes, but in the end the book just read like an old man's ramblings. I agree with point of view, but it would've been nice to end on with a "here's what I propose" chapter instead of a "here's how we're doing things wrong" attitude
That being said, if you're a fan of houses, he goes through the pros and cons of several types in detail.
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, thoughtfully written story covering decades of different houses. From sod to McMansions the tale shows how our living spaces have far exceeded what we really need based on the suthor's years of home building.
Jim
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
A very humane book. Author tells of his youth on the high plains of Nebraska where some still lived in sod houses. He criticizes the shallowness and wastefulness of our consumer culture. Not a memoir but a series of sketches tied to different types of structures.
Jec
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
when the library director says "this is a book for you" and hands it to you what is left to do but read it. i loved it! an unassuming book full of interesting facts and small life lesson nuggets. one for your list.
Dawn
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
John used request it and the library bought this. But he wasn't reading it so...I read parts of this out loud to John because the author's life as builder and John's are very similar, but also their spiritual life and life lessons learned.
Leanne
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
eh!
Amy
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. The idea was good, but the writing was rambling and preachy. Never did force myself to finish this book.

Nathan
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
...an interesting perspective...
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
I liked the idea better than the execution. You've got to like wood, nails and other building material to like it at all.
Scputval
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Stephen. who liked it a lot.
Cora enjoyed the part about houses, but
found it much too philosophical and preachy.
Cara
Dec 01, 2011 added it
I enjoyed this book. Haun was a quiet, spiritual man finding his way by building every imaginable type of house from Sod to Ultra Modern. His insights were perfect for these chaotic times.
Susan
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Great way for a carpenter to tell his life story. Lots of points to ponder about our modern lifestyle. Well worth reading.
Al Kasper
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Would have been a good book if were not for Larry's going on and on about how bad everything is in our society, how we are destroying the earth.
Alex French
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing. Too much glib, obvious philosophizing. Stories and ideas are interwoven a little too closely to the pint if rambling.

I almost gave up halfway through.
Kelsey
Feb 18, 2012
Dale
Jan 18, 2012
Walter
Nov 21, 2012
Leticia
rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2013