Jump to ratings and reviews

Dancing Jax #2

Freax and Rejex

The second novel in the extraordinary, ground-breaking, genre-busting new trilogy from master of fantasy Robin Jarvis Five months have passed since the publication of the devilish book discovered in Dancing Jax. It is on its ninth reprint and tens of millions of copies have been sold in the UK. The entire country is now under its evil spell. Yet a tiny percentage of the population have proven to be immune to the words of Austerly Fellows. The number of unaffected children between the ages of 7 and 15 is only 49. With the critical eyes of the rest of the world turned towards Britain, the Ismus decides to send the children for an intensive holiday camp, where they will study the sacred text and learn to embrace it. But after the holiday is over, the children are told their stay has been extended. A barbed wire fence is put up around the site. And it soon becomes apparent that the place is not a camp and the children are not guests. They are prisoners of war…

532 pages, Hardcover

First published January 1, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Robin Jarvis

48 books222 followers
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals—especially mice—and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel—The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice—was the runner up for the Smarties book prize in 1989.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
21 (4%)
1 star
8 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 59 reviews
Profile Image for Matthew Hodge.
593 reviews21 followers
September 10, 2018
Probably one of the last books that I'll finish for the year, but certainly a cracker of a way to end the fiction-reading year. Easily the most gripping novel that I've read this year.

For those who came in late, Robin Jarvis was my favourite childhood author, but due to the passage of time, it's been one of those things where I've missed a few of his middle period books when I was off at uni/starting work, etc. but have been catching up on his latest stuff. And what a progression. In the early 90s, in comparison with much other YA fiction that was out there, his stuff was pretty dark. Then along came J.K. and Hogwarts and Stephanie and Twilight and all of a sudden, darkness became mainstream.

So Jarvis has responded by taking it to a whole other level in his latest trilogy, Dancing Jax. So as a result, while his earlier books would have been suitable for about age 10 and up, these ones are definitely for more mature readers.

In the first book in this trilogy, an evil book called Dancing Jacks written by an early 20th century occultist, Austerly Fellows, is discovered and starts to pass around the small coastal town of Felixstowe. Almost - and that's an important word "almost" - anyone who reads or hears the book gets sucked into the slightly twee, technicolour world of Mooncaster, where they find themselves as one of the characters in the fantasy world. (Which is kind of a cross between an Alice in Wonderland playing card world and a dark Disney fairytale world.) Meanwhile, they just regard the real world as a sort of dream state that they have to endure before being able to escape back into the fantasy.

When we begin this second volume, Freax and Rejex,the book has taken over nearly all of Britain, except for a handful of people. So at the start of the story, a small group of children, "aberrants" as they are known, on which the book does not work, are rounded up and taken to a weekend camp where every last effort will be made to convert them over.

This second volume rather caught me by surprise. For starters, apart from a couple of cameos, nearly all the characters in this story are brand new. That's a brave move to start with, bringing in a whole bunch of characters for a sequel - the only other stories that do that are usually straight-to-DVD sequels for popular slasher films and they're not renowned for being all that great - but here it works beautifully.

The aberrants, drawn from a wide cross-section of British locations and classes and ethnic groups (all of which add to the distinct Britishness of the story which I, as an Australian, really quite enjoy), take a while to warm up to. They're either traumatised, obnoxious, or some combo of both. But as we start to understand these kids and the horrors they've seen, watching everyone they know and love turn into zombie-like mindless followers of the kingdom of Mooncaster, we start to glimpse their extraordinary inner strength.

And once the "camp" really ramps up - and I don't want to give away any major plot spoilers - the kids are tried and tested in extraordinary ways. As a thriller, once Freax and Rejexis in full motion, it's difficult to put down. Also, Jarvis has reached a new level of genre-combining in this story.

In one sense, it's a good old-fashioned British POW story. But then this is combined with a YA dystopian future story (à la The Hunger Games) of a small group holding out against a world gone mad, combined with the crazy fantasy element of Mooncaster (which is not dissimilar to the TV show Once Upon A Time in the way the fantasy world overlaps and resonates with the real world).

Finally, there were some sequences dark enough to belong in a horror novel (much as Jarvis doesn't like to be described as a horror writer). Like a Stephen King novel, and less like a lot of lesser horror authors, this is not because he's trying to have horror for the sake of it, but actually because it is when the evil seems so dark, that the courage and tenacity of his heroes shines through. (Though the sacrifices and decisions they have to make are truly harrowing, and there are some horrific and quite moving scenes throughout.)

Freax and Rejex is that rare beast - a sequel that's better than the original. In fact, it was so well executed, that I'm somewhat afraid to read the third book (don't worry, I will read it), for fear that it'll be like the third Hobbit movie - somewhat anticlimactic, even though it does tie up all the loose ends.

That said, I'm rather curious to see how one plot strand develops in the third novel, and that's the Mooncaster character of the Bad Shepherd. I won't go into detail here - again, trying to avoid spoilers - but as a Christian reader, the religious implications of this character are somewhat disturbing and uncomfortable. However, we're not left with enough detail to know how all of this will play out.

Actually, the religious implications of the Dancing Jax story are overall disturbing, especially at this stage in the trilogy. If you hearken back to the original Deptford Mice trilogy, Jarvis' first books, the spiritual world in which the characters lived contained the Green Mouse (somewhat of a pagan life force for the mice) vs the evil Jupiter, god of the rats. In other words, in the world of the Deptford Mice, there were good supernatural forces and evil supernatural forces.

But in Jax, no such "good" forces have emerged. There is the strong occult world of Austerly Fellows and his book (and more sinister forces behind that), but on the side of good, there are only a handful of rather normal human beings operating entirely out of their own strength, with no force or spiritual realm looking out for them. It's somewhat akin to the modern trend for demon possession movies, where the demons can do all sorts of stuff, but no force of good seems to be able to overthrow them. It makes sense in a horror film, because letting evil win and the darkness take over is always a guaranteed way to freak out your audience, but I want to think that there are more forces at work than that in this incredibly bleak vision of Britain that Jarvis has created.

Well, I guess we'll see in Book 3. As you can see, the fact that I'm even inclined to want to speculate about the deeper implications of a work of fiction just indicate what a strong world this book conjures up. Not for the easily frightened, not for fans of the light and fluffy, but if you've got the stomach for it, this is a riveting read.
Profile Image for X.
195 reviews
May 20, 2017
I'm not quite sure what to think of this book. It was a little slow to start, but it's dark, brilliant, and full of unexpected plot twists, and I can't stop thinking about it. I'm extremely curious to see where Jarvis is going with this and how everything comes together (I hope!) in the last book.
Profile Image for Бранимир Събев.
Author 33 books183 followers
January 29, 2014
Ето го и дългоочакваното продължение на Танцуващият Замък! Чудесната корица и оформление отново са оригиналните, с които май излиза по цял свят, ако не се лъжа.

Танцуващият Замък разпростира бързо заразата си из Англия в това продължение, паразитирайки из целия остров. И не само там - хищната книга вече протяга и задушава в пипалата си Германия и други европейски страни, а САЩ отчаяно се съпротивлява на пагубното й влияние. Положението изглежда обречено.

Този път главните герои са "лузърите", или така наречените "аберанти" (много хубава дума, много ми хареса). Натъпкват един лагер с деца, които имат природен имунитет към книгата и се опитват отчаяно да ги привлекат към чудния живот в Муункастър. Въпреки всичките усилия, повечето деца си остават нормални.

За съжаление, търпението на Измъс и слугите му се изчерпва и лагерът... се превръща в концлагер. Храната и всичко други става оскъдно, хлапетата са принудени по цял ден да работят, да берат гадния плод минчет, да слугуват на пазачите си - зловещите стражи Пунчинело... Положението се скапва с всеки изминал ден.

И още - в едно от децата се е вселил духът на самия Измъс и то постоянно прави мръсно на останалите. Ала в друго се е вселил Потайният Дух на Замъка, който притежава дарбата да се телепортира в Кралството и да се връща оттам, носейки различни предмети... А чудовищата от света на Муункастър вече спокойно идват в нашия.

Плюсчета:

+ книгата е обемничка, но се чете учудващо бързо, гладко и приятно;
+ Джарвис пише увлекателно, изобщо не сваля нивото спрямо първата книга, напротив - прехода е така естествен, че имам подозрение: Танцуващият Замък на практика е една огромна тухла, която е разцепена на по-малко;
+ читателят е много, много съпричастен със съдбата на героите, определено;
+ "Милиони хора са в мрежата. Някой би си помислил, че пред тях ��а открити неограничени възможности. Но те съвсем не се стремят към това. Твърде големият избор ги обърква. Както ви казах, те желаят ред. Искат някой да им каже какво и откъде да си купят. Хората са подвластни на стадния инстинкт. Ето защо хаосът на интернет се укротява и приема желаните от тях форми при всяко щракване на покорната и безропотна мишка. Издигат преградни стени в безкрайността, понеже изпитват ужас пред срещата с неограничените условности."

Минус:

- заглавието е не само отвратително, ами направо ужасно. Толкова ли нямаше по-читав начин да се преведе на български Freax and Rejex?

С голямо нетърпение очаквам следващата книга от Танцуващият Замък - Fighting Pax! О, да - историята съвсем не е приключила. И него ще прочета с голям кеф. Книжката беше супер добра.

Само да не го преведете като Мирния Борец или нещо от сорта.
Profile Image for Mark.
1 review
February 15, 2012
This book is simply one of the best books I've ever read. Robin Jarvis strikes again with his amazing story weaving like no other author - here we revisit the holocaust like reality that has dawned after the initial book - the UK is enslaved by the book and there is nowhere to turn for the poor immune few who can't fall under the spell of the evil book Dancing Jacks.

Slowly easing you in to a false sense of security, the book begins as playful and almost eerily too good to be true finally catapulting the reader into some of the most horrific and harrowing scenes I've ever witnessed - this is certainly not a book for the faint hearted - or children for that matter. At points the book is downright disturbing - but what can you expect with a world controlled by one of the most evil men to have ever existed?

Amazing monstrous creations fill the book leading into the final book of the trilogy - I for one cannot wait till next year till this is released.

I can't impress on you, if you are reading this, that you HAVE to get this book. The characters in the book are loveable and initially the social norms that we come to expect of stereotypes - those that the first book criticised so - become the heroes of the book.

Expect amazing unexpected scenes, in depth history of the origin of the main antagonist are revealed - the book is one big roller coaster ride to an amazing climax that eclipses that of the first book by miles - the original characters of the first book are mostly put on hold (until the last book I expect) but here we come to know much more critical characters who will be pivotal to the unfurling of the finale.

Long may Robin Jarvis last - I envy his writing style and can only dream of being able to weave such an awesome story.
September 25, 2012
I didn't like this one as much as the first one as I thought it dragged on for a bit too long at parts and it wasnt fast passed as the 1st one was.
Profile Image for V.S. Nelson.
Author 2 books46 followers
March 14, 2017
I don't like trilogies for many reasons. I think the first reason is that you cannot move these days for them. Everything is a trilogy. It is literally the worst way to tell a story. The problem being that you have the first book where you're introduced to the concept, the characters and the plot. That book's usually great. Then you have the last book in the trilogy where everything has been worked out and the disparate threads of the narrative are cleverly woven together with a nice dollop of action and hopefully a little poignancy.
What are we missing? That's it. The middle book in the trilogy!
The middle book in the trilogy is like a bus that takes you from the first book to the third book, where the person sitting next to you smells faintly of urine and you struggle not to make eye contact.

It's no real surprise that Jarvis hasn't done this. He is a master of children's literature and therefore we the reader aren't focused into the awkward social nightmare of public transport.

I enjoyed Freax and Rejex more than Dancing Jax because I felt there was a solid cast of characters throughout the story. More importantly, they were children! Everything about this book appealed to me and I loved how utterly screwed the kids in it were. Most stories the plot is pretty obvious and you have an idea what will happen at the end about a third of the way through the story. Good will beat bad and everyone will live relatively happily ever after. But this is Jarvis, so I know that won't happen. He messed with my emotions by killing off characters I liked when I was ten and it seems he's still at it now I'm in my early 30s. Also, all the way through ready this book I kept thinking, 'man, these kids are screwed. Really, really screwed.' That was great! I had no idea what Jarvis was going to do to them, but had a good idea most of it would be horrible. Jarvis lets bad things (really messed up bad things) happen to good kids in his books and that's something I very rarely see.
I also liked the characters themselves. Admittedly, it took a little to warm to them and characters I thought I was going to hate I ended thinking, 'oh you poor thing, you've had it so rough!' Of course that's when Jarvis, twisted sadist that he is, decides it's about time to do something horrible to that character. It took me so long to like them and then you do that? Really? Gotta say, love him for it.

The third book is on my shelf already!

Profile Image for Kerstin.
733 reviews18 followers
May 6, 2015
(1st read: March 10, 2013 - March 15, 2013)

Kurzbeschreibung:
Vor einigen Monaten tauchte ein merkwürdiges altes Buch in einer britischen Kleinstadt auf und zog all jene, die es lasen, in seinen Bann. Inzwischen wurde das Buch in großem Stil veröffentlicht und ganz Großbritannien ist ihm verfallen. Diejenigen, die sich seinem Einfluss widersetzten, wurden getötet. Doch es gibt einige, auf die das Buch keine Wirkung hat. Sie werden Abtrünnlinge genannt, werden verfolgt und gejagt, auch von ihren eigenen Familien und Freunden. Dies ist ihre Geschichte.

Zum Autor:
Mit dem Schreiben und Illustrieren begann Robin Jarvis 1988. Seine Bücher wurden in Großbritannien mit zahlreichen Preisen ausgezeichnet und haben sich bereits mehr als eine Million Mal verkauft. Was der Autor, der in London lebt, überhaupt nicht mag, sind Geschichten, in denen er niemanden umbringen kann.

Meine Meinung kurz & knapp:
Mit Dancing Jax. Zwischenspiel ist Robin Jarvis ein grandioser 2. Band gelungen, der es in sich hat und den 1. Teil sogar noch toppen konnte. Die Protagonisten, die dieses Mal allesamt Kinder und Jugendliche sind, konnten mich durchweg begeistern. Es kam zu keiner Zeit Langeweile auf den bemerkenswerten 544 Seiten auf, denn die Spannung ist von Anfang bis Ende gegeben und hoch angesetzt.

Man kann gar nicht anders, als als Leser mit Lee, Alasdair, Charm, Marcus und den anderen mitzufiebern, ob sie es schaffen werden, sich aus den Fängen des Janglers und der Punchinello-Wärter zu befreien, die sie mit grausamen Methoden und Mitteln gefangen halten. Dancing Jax. Zwischenspiel ist somit auch brutaler als sein Vorgänger und an manchen Stellen musste ich schon schlucken ob der Grausamkeit, die hier zutage tritt.

Sehr interessant fand ich auch, dass der "Macher" von Dancing Jax, der überaus verrückte und gefährliche Austerly Fellows, ein eigenes Kapitel zugedacht bekommt, das den Leser ins Jahr 1936 zurückkatapultiert und somit nähere Einblicke in die kranke Seele des Dancing Jax-Erfinders liefert. Und auch die Welt von Mooncaster wird in diesem 2. Teil näher beleuchtet, da einige Kapitel dort spielen. Ich bin nach wie vor begeistert und kann diese Reihe nur weiterempfehlen und hoffe, dass der 3. und abschließende Band nicht allzu lange auf sich warten lässt!
Profile Image for Shobha.
103 reviews
November 11, 2014
If I never read anything like this again, it'll be too soon. Watching leaves grow on a plant would have been time better spent. Being at a dentist would have been more enjoyable. As an example of the intense bile-worthiness of this book, & the vapidity of it's intelligence, it's only way to show uber bad-assness is to have a human children being mashed into sausages & fed to other children. That has to be the most unintelligent, not to mention imagination-lacking way to show how bad your character is.
175 reviews3 followers
February 5, 2016
This book, like the first, was twisted and sick. I absolutely enjoyed it. Not a series for the faint of heart.
It had books and fairytales and monsters and children (of diverse backgrounds from what I remember). The kids were all loveable in their own way which made the sick and twisted events that occur even more tragic and painful. I rooted for them so freaking hard. Such an insanely good read, looking forward to #3 !!!
Profile Image for Jana Reisse.
2 reviews
January 29, 2013
Was muss in dem Kopf des Autors Robin Jarvis vorgehen, wenn ein solch geniales, äußerst spannendes, rätselhaftes, beängstigendes, nervenaufreibendes, furchterregendes, grausames, schreckliches, fesselndes Buch das Ergebnis ist?! Ich bin mehr als beeindruckt und auf eigenartige Weise schockiert. Am Ende blieb ein recht beklemmendes Gefühl und das Warten auf "Fighting Pax". Es ist definitiv kein Kinderbuch, aber eins der besten Bücher, die ich je gelesen habe!
Profile Image for Lena.
3 reviews
March 10, 2015
I don't usually rate a book with 5 stars..this one was an easy decision!!!!..simply loved it, as much as the first one, if not more!!!looking forward to reading the last one..!!
Profile Image for Amina.
52 reviews5 followers
September 7, 2016
Wow. This was intense and I loved it. So many unexpected plot twists and so many great characters.
Profile Image for Leah Hosie.
60 reviews
October 13, 2019
Robin Jarvis is one of my favourite authors and I have no shame, once again, in reading and reviewing a kid’s book.

Part II of the Dancing Jax trilogy introduces us to a group of youngsters seemingly immune to the effect of the book first described in the initial story.

The good: Such menace!! What starts with suspicion quickly deteriorates into abuse, torture and murder. The author does not hold back with the horror, and he does a cracking job of describing the misery of those left alive. Despite the dark story though, there are real flashes of love and hope and genuine goodness, especially well written given the self-serving (and protective) image that the kids originally try to portray with one another.

The bad: The book is something of an analogy for life in the 21st century, which can be a little on the nose at times. But please don’t let that out you off!

Summary: Read the book! If you’re 9, RJ opens up a fantastical world, which acts as a terrifying mirror to our own. He does not hold back and he does not patronise. If you’re 90, the themes still resound, and although the characters are largely younger, they are engagingly written. This trilogy is like nothing else I have read. A real dark treat and one I would thoroughly recommend.
Profile Image for Stefanie Hasse hisandherbooks.de.
726 reviews226 followers
February 6, 2013
Zitat:
"Vor fünf Monaten war ein Kinderbuch mit dem Titel Dancing Jax veröffentlicht worden, das sich seitdem unfassbare dreiundsechzig Millionen Mal verkauft hatte. Das bedeutet mindestens ein Buch pro Bürger. Es hatte das Leben jedes Einzelnen in diesem Land völlig auf den Kopf gestellt."
(S. 21)

"Während er sprach, erschienen immer mehr dunkle Flecken auf seiner Haut, bis sein Gesicht vollständig mit schwarzen Punkten, wie von Tinte oder schwarzem Schimmel, überzogen war. Sie wuchsen und verbreiteten sich, überzogen sein Gesicht, bis sein Kopf eine einzige pulsierende Masse war."
(S. 110)

"Keiner hatte sich getraut zu widersprechen. Der Schock saß ihnen in den Knochen, sie waren wie betäubt. Ihr Leben hatte in puncto Wahnwitz einen weiteren Gang hochgeschaltet und es war nicht leicht, das zu verarbeiten."
(S. 256)

Inhalt:
Der Bann von Dancing Jax hat sich auf ganz Großbritannien ausgebreitet. Es gibt wenige Abtrünnige, auf die das Buch keine Macht entfaltet. Aber alle Menschen leben nur noch unter dem Einfluss, den Mooncaster und das Reich des Prinzen der Düsternis auf sie ausübt. Die Scheinwelt von Mooncaster wirkt für die bekehrten real; die wirkliche Welt wird für sie zur Traumwelt. Doch dies ist dem Ismus nicht genug. Und er weiß genau, was er zu tun hat, um Dancing Jax auch über Großbritannien hinaus zu verbreiten. Der Wahnsinn scheint nicht aufzuhalten zu sein...

Die letzten Abtrünnlinge sollen bekehrt werden. Ein großes Fest wird für die ungläubigen Kinder veranstaltet, um sie auf den richtigen Weg von Mooncaster zu leiten. Zuerst läuft es für Charm, Alasdair, Lee und die anderen Kinder auch richtig gut. Sie werden nach allen Regeln der Kunst verwöhnt. Aber was plant der Ismus wirklich mit den Kindern? Als das Fest vorbei ist und nur wenige Kinder bekehrt wurden, sperrt man die übrigen unter der Aufsicht des Janglers und der Punchinellos in ein Camp. Hier geraten sie in eine unglaubliche Spirale aus Gewalt, Hoffnungslosigkeit und Düsternis. Werden die Kinder diese Tortur überleben...

Meinung:
Nachdem ich von "Dancing Jax - Auftakt" ja förmlich umgehauen wurde, habe ich mich schon sehr auf "Zwischenspiel" gefreut. Natürlich sind die Erwartungen nach einem großartigen ersten Teil auch an die Fortsetzung sehr hoch. Eine gute Idee fortlaufend gut umzusetzen ist natürlich nicht einfach. Nach dem Lesen von "Zwischenspiel" muss ich ohne Umschweife anerkennen, dass dem Autor mit diesem zweiten Band eine grandiose Weiterführung seiner Geschichte gelungen ist.

Den Schreibstil von Robin Jarvis kann man als sehr nüchtern bezeichnen, ohne dass notwendige Details zu Protagonisten und Szenerie auf der Strecke bleiben. Zudem ist alles sehr flüssig zu lesen; Zusammenhänge erkennt man problemlos. Ein personaler Erzähler bringt den Plot in Vergangenheitsform zielsicher voran. Meine Neugier auf den Fortlauf der Geschichte zog sich nahtlos durch das gesamte Buch. Die grundlegende Spannung ließ mich förmlich durch die Seiten fliegen; Langeweile kam zu keiner Zeit auf. Allerdings sollte man sich beim Lesen des Buches darauf einstellen, zeitweise sehr überraschend geschockt zu werden und bestimmte Phobien, auf die ich hier nicht näher eingehen will, auszuschalten.

Wie schon im ersten Teil wurde ich auch hier wieder mit einer Masse an Charakteren konfrontiert, die jeder für sich zum Gelingen der Umsetzung beitragen konnte.

Ein sehr gelungener Protagonist war für mich eindeutig Lee. Er zieht sich zuerst sehr zurück und beobachtet das Geschehen lieber. Bis er letztendlich ungewollt doch gezwungen wird zu handeln und ihm eine große Verantwortung zufällt. Kann er sich dieser Verantwortung stellen?

Charm, das zickige Model, musste im Verlauf der Geschichte hart kämpfen, um bei mir Sympathiepunkte zu erhalten. Aber schließlich konnte sie mich doch noch voll und ganz auf ihre Seite ziehen und ich konnte ihrem Zauber nicht entfliehen. Für mich ist Charm eindeutig der Charakter mit der größten Entwicklung. Sie konnte mich letztendlich überzeugen und hat stets zum Vorankommen der Geschichte beigetragen.

Der Schotte Alasdair war mitunter ein undurchsichtiger Protagonist. Dachte ich anfangs, ihn kann nichts aus der Ruhe bringen und er reagiert immer besonnen und durchdacht, trifft er im weiteren Verlauf einige Entscheidungen, die mich manchmal an ihm zweifeln ließen. Im Endeffekt ist Alasdair ein hervorragend umgesetzter Charakter, der mich durchaus mitreißen konnte.

Wieder ist Robin Jarvis mit "Zwischenspiel" eine perfekte Verknüpfung von Komponenten verschiedener Genres gelungen, die mich von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite voll in ihren Bann gezogen hat. Untermalt wurden die in der Geschichte enthaltenen Beschreibungen mitunter von Zeichnungen aus dem "Originalbuch" Dancing Jax. So weiß ich jetzt u. a. wie man sich Punchinellos und Große Gaagler vorzustellen hat. Insgesamt gesehen kann man diesen zweiten Band aus meiner Sicht mit Reality-TV gemischt mit Fantasyelementen beschreiben. Eine hervorragende Mischung, die für mich puren Lesegenuss darstellte.

Am Ende des Buches hat es der Autor nicht versäumt, einen kleinen, aber wirklich nicht sonderlich gemeinen Cliffhanger einzubauen, der mich zufrieden zurücklässt und voller Spannung auf den letzten Teil dieser Trilogie warten lässt

Urteil:
"Dancing Jax - Zwischenspiel" ist ein schwer beschreibbares Buch. Für die vielen spannenden und mitreißenden Lesestunden kann ich gar nicht anders, als die Geschichte mit eindeutigen 5 Büchern zu belohnen. Ein neuerliches Abenteuer in Mooncaster, das fesselt und den Leser in seinen Bann ziehen kann!
Für alle Fans des ersten Teils ein definitives Must-Read. Alle, die spannungsgeladene und ungewöhnliche Geschichten lieben, sich von schockierenden Überraschungen und brutaler Nüchternheit nicht aus der Bahn werfen lassen und phobische Anwandlungen ausblenden können, werden ihre Freude an dem Buch haben!

Die Serie:
1. Dancing Jax - Auftakt
2. Dancing Jax - Zwischenspiel
3. ? wie wäre es mit "Fighting Pax"?

© his-and-her-books.blogspot.de
Profile Image for Yvi.
27 reviews
February 21, 2020
I really enjoy book series that begin different stories in book one and two which will eventually be brought together in the third and final book.
So we have "brand new" characters? Naah not really because they are extremly similar to the characters of book one, which basically means they are cruel little bastards. I hate every single one of them!
The writing was great, super exciting even if the plot was often predictable.
I loved loved loved the flashback to 1936, it was my favourite part besides the Mooncaster parts (of course).
Profile Image for Joanna.
1,662 reviews35 followers
January 18, 2015
Inhalt:

England ist ganz im Bann der "Dancing Jax". Jeder huldigt dem Ismus. Bis auf ein paar Abtrünnlinge, auf die das Buch keinerlei Wirkung zeigt. Um auch sie gefügig zu machen, lädt der Ismus zwanzig Kinder und Jugendliche auf ein Camping-Wochenende ein. Natürlich verfolgt der Ismus ganz andere Pläne...

Meine Meinung:

Dieses Buch kam, holte weit aus und streckte mich nieder. Anders kann ich es nicht beschreiben.

"Dancing Jax" von Robin Jarvis soll bzw. muss man der Reihe nach lesen. Bitte nicht mit Band zwei anfangen. Klar, es geht. Aber man verliert zu viel. Der ganze durchdachte Aufbau der Geschichte, die steigende Spannung, der Höhepunkt, die Explosion. Man kann nicht einfach in der Mitte anfangen und begreifen, worum es geht.

Schon "Auftakt", Band eins, fand ich grossartig. Genial. Und was hab ich mich gegruselt. Mit jeder Seite nahm die Gänsehaut zu und es schauderte mich immer mehr und mehr. Doch jetzt, im zweiten Teil, hat Jarvis alle Fehler des ersten Teiles ausgemerzt. Keine Längen mehr - jede Szene passt und hat ihren Sinn. Keine Überflutung mit Namen, sondern eine Auswahl und dabei bleibt es.

"Zwischenspiel" hat bei mir eingeschlagen wie eine Bombe.

Und eine ähnliche Verwüstung hinterlassen.

Die ersten Kapitel zeigen uns, worauf wir uns gefasst machen müssen. Doch schon bald wird es etwas harmlos. Die Kinder werden ins Camp gebracht und wir haben ein Wochenende Zeit, sie kennenzulernen. Da ist die Veganerin Jody, die kleine Christina. Der Macho Marcus, der Schotte Alasdair, der rebellische Lee. Charm, die sich nichts sehnlicher wünscht, als berühmt zu werden, und die dicke Maggie, die für alles den passenden Spruch bereit hat. Jim, Spencer, Esther...

Wir sind dabei, wenn sie sich anfreunden, sich streiten, sich näher kommen. Jarvis setzt sein Können dabei so gekonnt ein, dass wir bald nicht nur zuschauen, sondern direkt dabei sind. Wir hören Alasdair beim Gitarre spielen zu, lachen über Maggies Witze und fragen uns, welchen Geschmack Charm uns wohl zuordnen würde. Wir schliessen die Figuren ins Herz, gewinnen sie lieb, finden Freunde.

Und dann ist das schöne Wochenende vorbei und der Schrecken nimmt seinen Anfang.

Die Kinder werden eingesperrt und müssen von nun an schuften. Als Abtrünnlinge sind sie nichts mehr als Spielbälle der perversen Gefängniswärter. Ausserdem hat sich der Ismus in einem der Kinder eingenistet und säht Zwietracht, Lügen und Hass.

Als Leser rätselt man bis zum Schluss, wo der Ismus nun steckt. Jarvis gibt immer wieder Hinweise. Könnte es dieser Junge sein? Oder der hier? Vielleicht sie hier? Ich habe stundenlang nachgedacht, immer wieder jemand anderen verdächtigt. Aber ich kam nicht drauf. Und das, obwohl ich in den meisten Krimis den Täter ermitteln kann.

Dazu kommt die ständige Gefahr, der die Kinder ausgesetzt sind. Ständig rechnet man mit dem Schlimmsten, mit der Katastrophe. Katastrophen gibt es. Gleich mehrere. Nur weiss man auch als Leser nicht wirklich, wann sie geschehen, und dann trifft es einen völlig unvorbereitet.

Aber es ist nicht einfach nur eine fiktionale Figur, die da stirbt. Diese Kinder sind zu Freunden geworden. Wie oft musste ich mit den Tränen kämpfen? Obwohl ich diesbezüglich nicht nahe am Wasser gebaut bin. Nur die Mitfahrer im Zug hielten mich davon ab, in Tränen auszubrechen. Dafür hätte ich sie manchmal am liebsten erwürgt. Wie kann man so fröhlich über das Wetter und Mitschüler plaudern, während man selber gerade um die Figur trauert, die man von allen am liebsten mochte? Die zum ständigen Begleiter wurde, zum besten Freund, der besten Freundin?

Dieses Buch nahm mich mit wie keines je zuvor. Ich träumte sogar davon. Natürlich wollte ich wissen, wie es weitergeht, dennoch traute ich mich oft gar nicht, weiterzulesen. Fast schon Angst hatte ich vor dem, was auf mich zukam. Jarvis ist so abseits jeglicher Stereotypen, dass man ihn einfach nicht einschätzen kann. Praktisch nichts konnte ich vorhersehen. Und ich habe doch schon einige Bücher gelesen und bereits ziemlich viel Erfahrung.

Klingt das für euch negativ? Ganz im Gegenteil! Wenn ein Buch es schafft, sich so sehr in mein Leben, meine Gedanken, meinen Alltag zu drängen, dann ist es gut. Dann ist es sehr gut. Wahnsinnig, abartig gut. Es ist düster, brutal, ungehalten, geht ans Herz und an die Nieren, es ist lustig, heiter und romantisch.

Ich habe gelacht, ich habe geweint, ich habe gelitten und geliebt und verloren.

Aber es gibt Hoffnung! Denn was die Kinder im Camp nicht wissen: Unter ihnen befindet sich der Castle Creeper. Er ist der Einzige, der den Ismus vom Thron stossen kann...!

Fazit:

Ich könnte wohl noch weiterhin über "Zwischenspiel" schwärmen, aber ich belasse es bei dem, was ich oben geschrieben habe. Es ist ein Buch wie kein zweites! Ein krasse Steigerung zu Band eins, obwohl der schon gut war. Nichts für schwache Nerven oder zu junge Leser. Perfekt für mich, die ich aussergewöhnliche Bücher liebe und Qualität daran messe, wie sehr mich ein Buch mitreisst.

Dieses hier hat mich nicht mitgerissen. Es hat mich umgehauen und ist auf mir Trampolin gesprungen. Mit Salto.

Kleine Anmerkung am Rande: Die deutschen Cover gefallen mir um einiges besser als die Originale.
5 reviews
May 7, 2018
Fantastic book. Probably my favourite of the trilogy.
17 reviews1 follower
October 15, 2019
Gelungener zweiter Band mit Grausamkeiten, Spannungen und unerwarteten Wendungen
Profile Image for isabell.
353 reviews
July 31, 2016
Inhalt:
An die, die immer noch um jeden Preis Widerstand leisten (ich weiß, ein kleiner, verstreuter Haufen existiert noch), entweder weil ihr einen eisernen Willen habt oder einfach das Glück, so wie ich immun gegen den Wahnsinn zu sein: Ich rate euch dringend, das Land zu verlassen! Verschindet von da. Ihr könnt nichts mehr ausrichten.

Zitate:
"Es hatte ihren Familien die Liebe gestohlen. Es war gleichzeitig bezaubernd und schrecklich, in etwa so wie Feuer." (S.115)

"In diesem Moment fühlte sie etwas Warmes, Feuchtes im Haar des kleinen Mädchens. Als Jody ihre zitternde Hand hob, sah sie, dass ihre Finger blutbefleckt waren. Dann spürte sie, wie ein Rinnsal an ihrem eigenen Hals hinunterrann." (S.200)

"Dir ist schon klar, dass wir geliefert sind, sobald sie uns loswerden wollen, oder? Das hier ist ein Konzentrationslager, verflucht nochmal!" (S.275)

Meine Meinung:

Das Cover finde ich wieder echt toll und es ist wieder im selben Stil geblieben, wie beim ersten Band. Es ist wieder wie eine Spielkarte mit einem Skelett drauf und das Skelett ist wie der König gekleidet. Das deutsche Cover gefällt mir wieder besser als das Original. Das Original ist mir einfach ein bisschen Too-Much. Es spiegelt zwar diese Verrücktheit des Inhaltes wieder, aber so ein Cover würde ich ungern im Regal stehen haben wollen.

Die Idee dieses Mal war etwas anderes. Es ging um ein Camp in das die jugendlichen Abtrünnlinge gebracht werden und ihnen der größte Spaß versprochen wird. In diesem Camp erwartet die Kids so einiges und dazu gehören auch viele Lesungen aus Dancing Jax.
Die Umsetzung war im Endeffekt auch wirklich gut gelungen. Am Anfang kam ich nicht gut in das Buch und in die Geschichte herein. Zudem musste ich mich auch erstmal an die neuen Charaktere gewöhnen und daran, dass alle, die vom Buch besessen sind, nur noch mit deren Charakter genannt werden, von dem sie denken sie sind es.
Sobald ich allerdings in der ganzen Geschichte wieder drin war, hat es mir echt gut gefallen und ich wollte nicht mehr aufhören zu lesen. Es war wirklich brutal und ich war oftmals auch so schockiert, wie die Charaktere aus dem Buch. Man merkt wirklich, dass Robin Jarvis Spaß daran hat, eine solche Geschichte zu schreiben.
Was mir besonders gefallen hat, ist, dass wir auch etwas von Austerly Fellows erlebt haben und uns ein eigenes Bild von ihm machen konnten. Zudem passierten einige Dinge, mit denen ich echt nicht gerechnet hätte.

Wie beim ersten Band musste ich in den Schreibstil erst einmal reinkommen. Das ging aber um einiges schneller als bei Band 1. Mir gefällt der Schreibstil sehr gut, denn der hat es auch wirklich spannend gemacht.

Die Charaktere waren sehr unterschiedlich in dem Buch. Manche konnte ich zu Anfang gar nicht leiden und wurden mir mit der Zeit sympatischer (so wie Charm). Andere hingegen mochte ich zu Anfang, konnte ich zum Schluss hin aber immer weniger leiden. Alles in allem hat Robert Jarvis allen Charaktere eine gewisse Tiefe verschaffen und man konnte sie auch gut auseinander halten.

Fazit:
Das einzige Problematische war das hineinfinden in die Geschichte. Ansonsten hat mir wirklich alles super gut gefallen. Es war wirklich spannend und unvorhersehbar. Es ist noch brutaler und blutiger als Band 1.
Profile Image for Maggy.
6 reviews
September 22, 2012
What can I say?
I adored this book.
Now, before this review really gets going, I'm going to point out that I have not read the first book of the series and instead just jumped straight into this one because it looked really cool. I actually picked it up one morning as a time filler for a couple of minutes, expecting it to be just that. Instead, I was nearly late to school because the book was just too damn good and I could not put it down.
This book is a nice blend of all things I like best. Card suits and orders, magical realms, exploring the human psyche and to top it all off, there's slight religious and racial themes too. Perfection.
The cover was what initially caught my eye.

Being obsessed with tattoos lately, the weird and colourful design that reminds me of pirates and parrots instantly hooked me in. The creative pictures inserted at random intervals in the story also gave the book good overall brownie points like little sketches, maps
(although what irked me was the photograph that was included on page 300 something, depicting a real person. That was excessive, silly and ruined the mood a little.)
now, onto a general description of the book.
The story takes place in a semi-reality where everything is as we see it now, except all of Britian has been taken over by a strange story book that makes all its readers believe they are characters in the book and their existence on our planet is merely a grey dream.
For the aberrants, who were few in their numbers, there is nothing they can do but cling onto their lives, protecting themselves as the world no longer cares. I found the parts of the story set in the fairy realm very interesting and gripping and a nice 'break' from reality.
More detail but doesnt actually spoil anything (just to be safe though): It was amazing how characters portrayed in one light can instantly change to become another which excited and frustrated me at the same time.
All in all, I absolutely cannot WAIT until I read the other books by Robin Jarvis especially in this series :)
I'm excited to say the least! Reccomended x10000
this is definitely on my favourites page
February 22, 2015
After finishing the first book, I didn't realize there was a series. After borrowing it from the library a second time a few months after I was delighted to find out that there was an entire series and immediately got out Freax and Rejex.

The book amazing and I liked how it was set after Britain had fallen, especially when some of the characters explained what the riots were like with those who were fighting the book being converted on the street. But the book spent most of its time in the camp where the children were held, which was interesting to see it from their point of view.

The way the characters were written was stunning and you actually believed then to be real in the way they acted and developed throughout the story. I found that personal loyalties towards the characters changed as in the beginning, I disliked Charm and liked Jody, but after the tool house incident, I found that Charm and Maggie were more likeable and Jody was a nasty piece of work. However, I was disappointed that it didn't take me long to work out which child was the Ismus, which was a shame but I never worked out who the Castle Creeper was until it told me. The fact that not all the children make it to the end of the book was a nice change from some of the other novels I've read as it kept me reading and hoping that my favorite characters survived. Despite the fact that there were about 20 kids at the camp, I liked it how he only focused on a few so the character didn't get mixed up.

The sudden change in mood was startling and unexpected and got me hooked into the book as I wanted to find out more about the world of these young aberrants.

The one thing I loved about the series is its political opinions on today's society. While there weren't as many as in Dancing Jaxs, I found that there were still some amazing opinions, such as Lee's family after they had been converted, laughing at their black faces, wondering why they weren't white.

The one thing I found disappointing though, was the fact that Martin Baxter was only featured on the first and last few pages. I had grown to love his character in the first book and while I enjoyed the perspectives of the children, I will have to wait to find out what he has been doing over the past few months between books, apart from blogging and sending emails to international press, telling them to ban the book. Also, is there more than one Queen and King of each suit as well as the leading character (minus the Jacks and Jills) because I was confused about that and it wasn't explained very well.

Overall, loved the book and would recommend it it anyone :)
Profile Image for Mandy.
63 reviews4 followers
February 15, 2012
I've been a fan of Robin Jarvis since someone nudged me in the direction of his Wyrd Museum series. I also remember how, starting around 2001, promising beginnings like Deathscent (so far the only one of the series 'Intrigues Of The Reflected Realm') and The Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood (similarly, the only one to appear) gave way to an interminable space which stretched out to getting on for a decade. Then, suddenly - Dancing Jax. Transported back a decade, ready for another go, I read it and was strangely impressed with how much older the themes were, how much more modern the feel of the book was, and how bitingly satirical it was about a world which, as I myself age, I find increasingly worthy of such satire: the Ismus does have a knack for great speeches. My greatest worry, upon finishing it, was that the promised sequel was merely so much hot air. But it's okay: it's safe to breathe a sigh of relief - Freax And Rejex exists, and it's an absolute stormer of a sequel.

This time the scope of the Ismus' ambition is worldwide, though the book itself focuses more on a mixed bag of the aforementioned freaks and rejects - those immune to the power of the Dancing Jax. It's a wickedly unpleasant read, and while the social commentary has shifted somewhat, it's still there, both in the way the events mirror the Nazi's final solution (expanding the rivalry between Austerly Fellows and Hitler rather neatly), and in the way the characters range from the totally dislikable to the totally sympathetic. They're full, developing, well-described characters, and I'm glad my feelings changed towards them as I read the book, as to begin with I was worried we had stepped into a camp full of cardboard cut-out clichés. Not so - the masterful character work is full of twists and turns, damnation and redemption, and the reader is free to love, hate or slowly despise characters as events unfold.

There is a hint of possible resolution, but no-one's going to be guessing the ending quite yet. There are revelations aplenty regarding the origins of Dancing Jax, the nature of the Dawn Prince, and one jaw-droppingly stunning revelation about the Bad Shepherd, which got me a little too excited perhaps, reminding me of Philip Pullman in his anti-establishment glory days. Indeed, there is plenty to provoke the more philosophical, and enough horrific squirmings to satisfy any true fan of the macabre.

A thoroughly good read, and I have to say I'm very, very keen to see where this leads: you may be able to tell. Roll on Fighting Pax!
Profile Image for Eva.
202 reviews19 followers
January 12, 2015
HANDLUNG
Im zweiten Band der Reihe hat der Ismus sein Ziel, Dancing Jax zu verbreiten, In Angriff genommen. Wir verfolgen zuerst die Reporterin Kate, die für das amerikanische Fernsehen die verstörten Ereignisse aufzeichnet und ihnen nachgeht. Sie lernt den Ismus kennen und wird von ihm zu einem besonderen Wochenende eingeladen: ein Wochenende voller Feste und Spiele, an dem die übrigen abtrünnigen Kinder bekehrt werden sollen. Doch es stellt sich heraus, dass der Ismus ganz andere Pläne verfolgt und so werden die Kinder unter brutalen Bedingungen gefangen gehalten.

MEINUNG
Den Rest des Buches erfährt man hauptsächlich aus der Sicht der Kinder. Sie sind sehr unterschiedlich und man schließt sie mit der Zeit mehr oder weniger ins Herz. Jedes hat seine ganz eigene, spezielle Persönlichkeit, die sich während des Camps zum besseren oder schlechteren verändert. Der Autor geht überwiegend auf acht Charaktere ein: die siebenjährige Christina; Spencer, der Westernfilme liebt und gerne selbst ein Cowboy wäre; die Vegetarierin Jody, den Schotte Alasdair, die eingebildete Charm, der Macho Marcus, die etwas dickere Maggie und der coole, wenn auch etwas schweigsame, Lee. Es ist unterhaltsam aber auch herzzerreißend wie sie auf verscheidene Dinge reagieren und wie sich Freund- und Feindschaften bilden. Die Bestrafungen sind brutal, sollen abschrecken und drücken umso mehr die Grausamkeit des Janglers, der Wärter und des Ismus' aus. Ich denke, jeder von uns kann sich mit irgendetwas davon identifizieren und mitfühlen und ich bin erneut davon überrascht, wie authentisch und real Robin Jarvis seine Charaktere erschaffen hat.

Wie schon im ersten Band erhält man Einblicke in die Geschichte von Mooncaster; wenn es nach mir ginge, könnten es sogar noch etwas mehr gewesen sein. Auch gibt es wieder einige Zeichnungen zu Wesen oder Orten, nur die Zitate am Anfang der Kapitel habe ich ein bisschen vermisst.

Die Geschichte nimmt schon am Anfang an Fahrt auf und bleibt durch die verschiedenen Zwischenfälle und die Fragen, die man sich dadurch stellt, sehr spannend. Die Story wird auch durch den Castle Creeper sehr interessant und ich bin schon sehr gespannt darauf, wie der Autor alles im letzten Band zusammenführen bzw auflösen wird.

FAZIT
Auch wenn nicht allzu viel passiert, ist der zweite Band der Dancing Jax Reihe sehr interessant gestaltet und es war spannend, alles mitzuverfolgen. Eine gelungene Fortsetzung, die neugierig auf den abschließenden Band macht.
Profile Image for Hannah.
18 reviews1 follower
January 23, 2013
Dancing Jax: Freax and Rejex - Robin Jarvis

The second instalment in the Dancing Jax series, the first book is reviewed here also by me.

A step back from the characters of Dancing Jax is took here, with them being mentioned briefly rather than being the focus. However a brand new group of characters is introduced, the teenagers who are unaffected by the book, the Freax and Rejex.

Victimised by everyone in their lives for their inability to be absorbed into the book they are took to a camp, isolated from all contacts, with some other worldly guards to watch them and help them find their role in the world of Dancing Jax.

However this proves harder then the Ismus, the ruler of both the world inside Dancing Jax and reality due to the shift the book causes, suspects meaning they are retained longer than expected and the plush living they’ve been experiencing quickly vanishes around them.

Never before in a book though have I seen such a diverse amount of characters meld so well. This book is so much about change within the individuals as well, I have never had to change my mind about my opinions of characters as quickly and as often as I have with this book.

Don’t let this deter you though, this development within each of them is written smoothly and really seems the focus of the book, indicating that they will be of importance to the rest of the books.

Also don’t think that this book is all talking, there is plenty of talking to occur but plenty of thrilling fights and several unforeseen twists to the plot.

A book I feel is well fitting with it’s predecessor, an exciting plot mingled with beautiful character development written in a stylish manner, Freax and Rejex is a good 9/10
Displaying 1 - 30 of 59 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.