Start by marking “Summer by the Sea” as Want to Read:
Summer by the Sea

Summer by the Sea

It's the beginning of another season in the seaside resort town of Winslow, Rhode Island, and Rosa Capoletti is given the chance to rediscover the pleasures of love and laughter, food and wine, friendship and romance ...

With a little determination and a lot of charm, Rosa Capoletti took a run-down pizza joint and turned it into an award-winning restaurant that has been vot
Published June 24th 2004 by Mira Books (first published 2004)

Annette Mardis
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
If you only like romances with lots of steamy sex, don't read this book.

If you only like breezy novels with quick payoffs, don't read this book.

If you don't like well-drawn characters, don't read this book.

But DO read this book if:
* You like to read about people finding lasting love the second time around;
* You like to see literary puzzle pieces come together in a pleasing plot;
* You like to settle in with characters for a while;
* You don't mind flashbacks and well-fleshed-out back stori
Darcy
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, romance
I am not sure how this author made it on my radar, but this will not be the last book that I read by her. This book was a very sweet story about first loves, first betrayals, and screwed up families.

The story switches back and forth from the present to the past. In the beginning we see where Rosa doesn't have the time of day for Alex, and I have to admit I wondered why, it seemed like she was out of line. But it is as we learn how these two meet as kids and see their friendship progress that we
Kelly Moran
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I always say that I will take sleep deprivation over a bad book any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Thanks to Susan Wiggs, I'm now sleep deprived. This was the first book I picked up by her, and it won't be the last. She has a way of winding love, family, and friendship into a book that's so emotionally powerful you jump right in the setting. Bravo! I love her already!!!
Arlene
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, adult, romance
Summer by the Sea by Susan Wiggs is a perfect beach side read. This is my first novel by Wiggs and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise, so I was definitely glad I included it in my summer reading bundle.

In this novel, we meet Rosa Capoletti who is a successful restaurateur of Celesta by the Sea. It’s located in lovely beach town that has been Rosa’s home since she was born. As with most summer beach spots, the townies always seem to stand apart from the regular summer residents that occupy t
Carol
Oct 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice romance novel. Not as sexually explicit as some. However, when the teenager takes his girlfriend out after dark with his telescope to see the 'transit of Mercury' and it wasn't a boondoggle, I thought "What's wrong with this picture?" A transit of Mercury takes place when the planet Mercury comes between the Sun and the Earth, and Mercury is seen as a small black dot moving across the face of the Sun. How are you going to see that at night?? Huh? Anyway you don't just point your tele ...more
Jasmine Whitherly
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Susan Wiggs possesses great skill in describing the nuances of human emotion and intertwining them into a story line that is real and believable. In "Summer by the Sea" I enjoyed the progression and the complexities of the romance between Alex and Rosa, the flashbacks that put their history into perspective, the descriptions of scenery and the characters' reaction to it. I loved the recipes that fit so well into the theme. Most of all, I liked that the ending was not mushy or overly emotional.
Katharine Coggeshall
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun, light read with plenty of romantic feelings without romance scenes. The author has an elegant way of writing and storytelling. In this book, she unravels a love story that starts with a boy and a girl at the age of 9. Wiggs moves forward and backward in time throughout the book to seamlessly unveil pieces of the story as the reader needs to know them. It moves at a nice pace. This book is a perfect example of less is more.
Colleen Whale
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book, but I didn't *love* it, you know? It didn't spark a lot of passion. I mean, it was nice and sweet, a good beachy summertime read, and sure, there was drama, but it just didn't excite me.
Laurie Way
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read! Credible characters with real lives full of joy and angst in equal measure. Italian food descriptions that you can almost smell and taste. And a bonus, recipes included.
What could be better!
Ns
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
When it comes to true love there are second chances in Susan Wiggs' novel Summer by the Sea.

From the moment Rosa Capoletti met Alexander Montgomery when she was nine and he ten, they shared an instant connection, one that would create memories of a magical summer. That fateful summer paved the way for several more magical summers shared by Rosa and Alex, oblivious to their differences and circumstances.

For a few summer weeks Alex is a part of Rosa's world but she is never part of his when summer
Anne
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Susan Wiggs is an American author, she's written many stand alone novels and also a couple of series. Summer By The Sea is a romance novel, no getting away from it - if you don't like a bit of love and heartbreak then don't bother. If you like a story that makes you feel good, with a cast of interesting characters and a dollop of Italian food thrown in, then this one will suit you down to the ground.

Our heroine; Rosa, is the owner of a succesful Italian restaurant in a small coastal US town. Her
Lisa
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a light, summer inspired, fun read and this was it. Even amid all the family drama I became immersed in this story about love and second chances, the ways people deal with grief, and of course all of the foody talk and the yummy Italian recipes included. I loved the characters and wish for another book with Rosa and Alex so that I could see the rest of their story...some of their happily ever after not to mention seeing the two families finally try to get along.
H2
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Lisa
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Rosa and Alex meet as kids during the summer at the beach. They remain friends over the summers as they grow up. The experience a lot of "firsts" with each other. Rosa is out-spoken and a go-getter. Alex is quiet, has asthma, and his mother doesn't let him out much. They part as they prepare to go to college. The author weaves life throughout their story and when the truth comes out; some healing can begin. A nice read.
Andrea
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Warning, do not read this book if you are hungry! :) Loved the aspect of the Italian restaurant and the many wonderful recipes included throughout the book. Although the story starts out strong, there are a few places where it seemed to lull. However, once the loose ends came together, the storyline really picks up and I found that I couldn't turn the pages fast enough! This is one of the best Susan Wiggs' books I've read!
Rebecca Dean
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent romance novel..... my kind of book. Rosa and Alexander's story was interesting from page 1. I loved the character development by Wiggs. She is great at that....key for a novel to be a good one.

This book had all the right things a romance needs. Loved it!
Miss Kim
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance Fans
This was my first Susan Wiggs read, and I did like it. However, it didn't blow my sox off. It's the old tale of one half of the relationship being from 'the wrong side of the tracks'. The characters are well developed and there are very strong family connections. It has a nice HEA.
Diane
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
An enjoyable romance, a second chance.
Wanell Smith
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book!!!!
Wish it was a series!!!!
Terresa Smith
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice love story to read in the summer.
Charlotte
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am absolutely in love with this book! This was the first novel I read by Susan Wiggs, but I will look for more of her work.

PLOT (adapted from the back cover): With determination and charm, Rosa Capoletti took a run-down pizza joint and turned it into an award-winning restaurant that has been voted "best place to propose" three years in a row. For Rosa, though, there has been no real romance since her love affair with Alexander Montgomery ended suddenly and without explanation a decade ago.
But
Vicki  B
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
A sweet little story was completely sidetracked by undoubtedly the most unpleasant main character in any book I have ever read. Faith is absolutely so awful. Into her average life comes the man of every woman's dreams. Faith is unhappy that Jake dresses too well, has too much money, drives a Mercedes, has a beautiful home, and a very successful career. He's kind and generous to everyone. She fusses over changes that are happening to a town that she self admittedly has not chosen to visit since s ...more
Lindsay Racen
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another in the books from my favorite chick-lit author Susan Wiggs. Since finishing up the entire Lakeshore Chronicles I've needed to defer to her stand-alone books. Summer by the Sea certainly did not disappoint and as you would expect is the perfect summer read, and of course like many of her classics includes heart-filled recipes for every occasion. I've shared some to Goodreads for you all.

The story itself is authentic, heartbreaking and heartwarming. It's filled with love for family and
Nourhan Abou Agila
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel reminded me of one of my favorite songs " Moddi - House by the Sea ", it's very sentimental, emotional but yet not too cheesy.
my heart kept melting during the 4 days I kept reading the story of Alex and Rosa.
I don't want to spoil the story for any one, but I will just compliment the whole atmosphere that surrounded this magnificent masterpiece, the sea shore, the tide, the waves, the whole thing made me overwhelmed.

"Yeah behind everything that I do
I just want to come home and lay dow
Barbara
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book was slow to start to set up the characters and their place with it in the story. Around chapter 8-10, it started to get very interesting. Love found, love lost, truths revealed, lies unfurled, love rekindled all lead to a very good book.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Rosa and Alex’s upbringing and friendship evolving into love. It was a great story that ends in a way to either make room for a sequel or to let your imagination continue the story for you. A great summer read.
Laura Aase
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfect fluffy romance! Rosa’s heart was broken by her life’s love and childhood friend,Alex. Now a successful restaurant owner, she is shocked and flustered when Alex returns to their sleepy seaside town. He makes it clear that he wants to try again? Will she be able to open her heart again? I especially liked the Italian recipes throughout as well as the ugly secrets from the past that come out!
Kay
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beachreads
Perfect summer read! Kind of a Pretty Woman/Mystic Pizza vibe. The fiesty Italian townie and the sad sickly, rich summer boy meet as children and circumstances just get in their way before they can find happiness. Rosa owns an award winning restaurant and there are many recipes included. Simple but adorable book. I loved it.
Carolanne wollin
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole time I was reading the book I was thinking of giving it a rating of three stars. I love Susan Higgs however she has written much better it was like she was trying to hard to tell the story. Then the second half of the book really took off.
Sherri
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read

I am looking forward to trying some of the included recipes. I liked the surprise ending that we didn't see coming and resolution to the accident that changed the path of Ross's life.
Mishmitakin
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I dont fancy romance novels and happened upon this one by accident. My favorite parts was the characters high regard for family and the belief in second chances. The surprise was to find a wonderful authentic Italian recipe book in the mean time.

• Seaview Inn (Seaview Key, #1)
  • The Perfect Summer
  • Coast Road
  • Dakota Home (Dakota, #2)
  • A Summer in Sonoma
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
“She knew with painful certainty that the opposite of love was not hate, but indifference.” 124 likes
“She was the living, breathing proof that the hard things in life didn't have to defeat you - or even define you.” 21 likes