Start by marking “The Ravickians” as Want to Read:
The Ravickians

The Ravickians

(Ravicka #2)

Fiction. LGBT Studies. African American Studies. The second volume of Gladman's Ravicka trilogy continues the author's profound meditation upon translation and the ephemeral. THE RAVICKIANS narrates the day-long odyssey of Luswage Amini, the Great Ravickian Novelist, who journeys through the city to attend the reading of an old friend. Where the earlier volume, EVENT FACTO ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Dorothy a Publishing Project

Sean
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, dorothy-project

(3.5) Although this second volume in the Ravicka cycle lacks the cohesive dynamism characterizing the first book, it moves the series forward more subtly by expanding the reader's knowledge of Ravickian culture and history. It offers an insider's perspective as opposed to the outsider perspective provided in Event Factory. The focus here is more esoteric and diffuse, in part due to Gladman's exploration of the inherent impossibility of full and true communication through translation:
If you are
Jeff Raymond
Closer to a 4.5, would have been a 5 if not for the rather flawed ending.

For all the books I've read that deal with new or mysterious or different places, I can't really think of one that attempts to evoke the experience of just being in one of those places. The Ravickians does this, and does so in a way that was one of the more compelling recent reads I've had as of late. The first book, Event Factory , had a strange outsider perspective, but most of this book takes place from the perspective o
Nate D
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dorothy, read-in-2017
A strange architectural odyssey in three parts -- a trek, a reading, and a night out in dialogue. The first part, set in the ephemeral cityscape poised between present and memory, is the strongest and most immediate, as well as most similar to Gladman's earlier Ravicka novel Event Factory. There's something rare and interesting unfolding across the entire cycle though: a mysterious travelogue through a city-state in an undefined state of crisis. 4th part comes out this fall!
A. M.
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, dorothy, fiction
A tremendous follow-up to Event Factory that deftly inverts the premise of the preceding work. Architecture, performance and language are expertly woven together to tell the story of a single day, and in that one day the insights that eluded the reader in Event Factory come crashing in. As a world-building effort, it is refreshingly subtle; as a work of fiction, it is impressively honed.
Paul Dembina
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just as intriguing as The Event Factory. For me meaning was just out of reach. Which sort of makes sense when a book is about an alien culture. However there are themes of mistranslation, loss and decay
J.A.
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is another captivating Dorothy Project release and a nice leg in the Gladman trilogy. I'm excited to see how it finishes with Ana Potova Crosses a Bridge (and delighted by the focus already on that subject in this one).
Amy
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Is there a 4th-person narration?"--Shanxing Wang, Mad Science in Imperial City

Julia
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
wish i had a syllabus to accompany this book, or a person. perhaps the reason i sunk more readily into the ravickians than the event factory (read a couple months back) is that now i've shuttled in a very immediate way between the familiar city-dweller's experience and the befuddled tourist's, can draw on the resources of both—and also because, according to a 2012 interview i found, ravicka is in no way a proxy for but wouldn't exist without new york: "I wanted to think on city living without h ...more
John
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
My library didn't have the first novel in the Ravickian trilogy (The Event Factory) so as an experiment--I read book 2. Somehow it became extremely relevant and meta.

So it was an experiment on reading a book within a series while missing out of a portion series. I started the book, a bit confused trying to understand what catastrophe had struck Ravicka, and trying to understand this world and its rules.

Which is exactly the plot from the first book...

"A "linguist-traveler" arrives by plane to Rav
Drew
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Builds on everything great about EVENT FACTORY, building out the city and its inhabitants while also deepening the questions of language and 'event' amongst a people and a species. The dream-logic of the first book is *slightly* more orderly, but in a way that actually increases the menace and unease of the reader. Damn, I liked this a whole lot.
Mark
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Communication and especially translation falter in ravicka. There is less Calvino here than in Ana Patova, which means less dreamy unreality but more unique voice. I especially liked the meandering conversation of the last third.
Carrie
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
There's something dreamy and elusive about the Ravicka books, a bit like Dhalgren, but less dark and less outwardly sinister. It's hard to get your bearings as a reader, but there's something beautiful and compelling about them. I wasn't as into The Ravickians, but I'll keep reading.
Brooks
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Communication is hard. In Event Factory an outsider came to Ravicka and tried to find a way to communicate with the city or it's citizens. In this book, a resident of the city, the great Ravickian novelist Luswage Amini, tries to communicate the despair and destruction (maybe? there might be a fire - but then again, maybe there isn't) that is sending people away from Ravicka.

After the first two, I'm very interested in the final book in the trilogy and what perspective it uses to explore and expl
Kristen
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I had to read this for my university class CRTW 300W. Overall, I thought it was an interesting read. However, I'm not a huge fan of the architecture/language connection within the work... Though I'm sure I would have liked it loads more had I not had to read it for a class.

The three sections within the novel really helped break it up--especially the third one because you rarely see a complete manuscript of a speech, with transitions and off-track conversation included. Plus, it was a really fas
Adam
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A superb illustration of contemporary writing which brings the reader into an active search for meaning and place within the text and simultaneously within our own lives where we are met with continually worsening crises and coming face to face with the absurd in an attempt to make sense of our historical existences.
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm looking forward to reading the third book by Renee Gladman, as well as everything by this publisher/the Dorothy Project now. The Ravickians encapsulates how my inner and outer interactions and boundaries flow. I felt kind of distanced from the "reading" portion of the book.
Geoffrey
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
My patience is wearing thin here. Unlike the first book, this did almost nothing for me. There's a fine line between elliptical profundity and aimless mucking around.
herocious herocious
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
i'm somewhere near the middle of this book, another catch from dorothy project. it's been a great read so for, something to throw myself in. it leaves a pineapple taste on my tongue.
William Meredith

• Creature
  • Fra Keeler
  • Dan
  • The Correspondence Artist
  • Flight from Nevèrÿon (Return to Nevèrÿon, #3)
  • Feminaissance
  • After Kathy Acker: A Biography
  • Mira Corpora
  • The Vicious Red Relic, Love: A Fabulist Memoir
  • Break Every Rule: Essays on Language, Longing, and Moments of Desire
  • Babyfucker
  • The Guinea Pigs
  • Hôtel Splendid (European Women Writers)
  • Leavetaking
  • Changing
  • Thomas the Obscure
  • Ladies Almanack
  • The Babysitter at Rest
Born in Atlanta, GA, in 1971, Renee Gladman studied Philosophy at Vassar College and Poetics at New College of California. In addition to Calamities, she is the author of eight works of prose, including the Ravicka novels Event Factory (2010), The Ravickians (2011), and Ana Patova Crosses a Bridge (2013), as well as a book of poetry, A Picture-Feeling. Her most recent work of fiction Morelia is fo ...more

Ravicka (4 books)