Start by marking “My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)

My Wicked Highlander

(MacDonell Brides #1)

With Scotland in the grip of a nationwide witch hunt, Isobel MacDonell is hiding in England. But when Sir Philip Kilpatrick arrives to escort her to her betrothed in the Highlands, Isobel must face a harrowing journey through a land of fear and suspicion. Soon, however, Philip grows reluctant to deliver Isobel to the noble intended she has never met. Isobel has charmed her ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Pocket Books (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about My Wicked Highlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Wicked Highlander

Kim
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I found this book as an extra that someone had and could ship with another one I wanted. So, I got it and another one in the trilogy. It turns out I like the magic books just fine. In fact, I quite like them. They're usually about healers or people with accute intuition or such. Not too different from real people, just called magic. This one was more than that, but I still liked what it added to the story.

I like that there was some 'real life' in this one - people acting one way because of honor
Muse Here
I really liked this book. Except the for the fact that I found it quite obvious what the cause of the father's illness was not long after starting the book. Now I'm starting book three and the characters themselves STILL haven't figured it out.
That being said, the main characters were both lovable and the romance was quite enjoyable. The sex was minimal and strategically placed so as to be completely believable. Overall, I quite enjoyed this book.
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the first in the MacDonell Brides trilogy and my first book by this author. The book cover alone captured my attention but the story itself kept me engrossed. Needless to say, I look forward to reading Ms. Holling's other works. The ending will grab you and not let go!

Plot - A-
Romance - B
Sensuality - B+
BOOK = B+
Kelly
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, favorites
One of the best romance novels I have ever read. This was the first book in the MacDonell bride series but I read it last due to the availability of the books. Even reading backwards they were wonderful and I wasn't lost. I loved them so much I might re-read the other two now in the correct order. I recommend this series to anyone who loves historical paranormal romance.
Rachel
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Only thing I was unhappy with was the fact that one Phillip found out what happened to his sister, he didn't spill it about his step mother. I would have let that bitch have it. She was such an nasty woman, she deserved to be fronted out. Other than that, book was great. I hope we see Phillip and his sister get back together.
Lillyanna
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just reread this series again, it is one of my favorite. I am drawn to the love, magic, highlands and the stories. I had hoped to find some more books by Jen Holling, has she written anything in another name?
Lisa
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Jenny
This is the first novel in the MacDonnell Brides Trilogy. Isobel MacDonnell is a crafty woman who meets the brooding Philip Kilpatrick. The mysteries surrounding the MacDonnell family's past will all be revealed in the subsequent novels.
Gail
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I only managed to put this classic Scottish paranormal romance novel down once thanks to the appealing characters and interesting plot. Unfortunately, too-obvious foreshadowing, a bit of repetition in parts, and typos stand between "My Wicked Highlander" and a fifth star.
Kerry
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Best drunk reading ever - hilarious!
Stephanie Williams
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Luved it, can't wait to read the next book
Marika
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, that is all I can say. it was amazing, I could not put this book down I read it in a day and a bit.
Kristine
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Lots of fun a nice sweet romance
Miranda
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a good book but it really had me hanging on what was happening with the father of the girls.
Rachel
really good ;D
Detgen
Jul 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: research
Of course it doesn't have five-star literary merit. But I rate by enjoyment. This is top-notch brainlessness.
Canita
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Delightful escapist fiction!
Mitzi
Book 1 of Trilogy. Good.
Paranormal Romance
Since childhood the heroine has known she was witch and surrounded by her sisters and parents she always felt safe regardless of how Scotland feels about witchcraft. Then her mother is burnt at the stake and everything changes. Her father sends his 3 daughters off into seclusion until it safe to return home. The heroine was sent to England and lives in the house of nobility. Her life is peaceful if not warm or loving but despite the fear in her foster parents eyes when they look at her, she has ...more
Lover of Romance
Isobell along with her sisters, were separated at a young age, and Isobel was sent to England for her protection. Their mother was killed when accused of witchcraft. Isobel is a seer, and has the ability to see the past and future of a object she touches. She has had to live in fear of her gift being realized. When she comes of age, her father sends for her, so that she can be married and protected by one of the most powerful men in Scotland. Her escort back home is Sir Philip Kilpatrick. Philip ...more
Patsyann
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The moral of this book is: if you fall in love with a witch, you better have friends and relatives that will help you at a moment’s notice, because you will always be in dangerous, life threatening situations. With that being said, the hero is the perfect romantic hero. He is not perfect, but he is self assured and confident, trustworthy, ethical and of course ruggedly handsome. Oh and a hunky highlander. With a Scottish brogue.
Is the heroine a witch? Today she would probably have a reality TV
Jacob
Jul 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
When I worked at Barnes & Noble, I would often be caught flipping through books in the Romance section. I learned two things: that people think it's sad if an English major is drawn to romance novels, and nearly half of all these books seem to take place in the Scottish Highlands. Can I say kilty pleasures? Fine. Several years later, I felt vindicated in a master's literature class when Prof. Cappetti described the true beginnings of the novel as semi-autobiographical accounts of female subj ...more
Tonya Warner
Sir Philip was been given the task of bringing Isobel home to Scotland to her father. She is to be wed to a man believed to have killed his wife.

Isobel is a witch. Scotland is burning all witches. Her own mother died from being burned at the stake. Philip knows she is a witch, but loves her anyways.

A very nice story.
Vicki
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
light entertaining read. I can't resist anything with a witch in it ;)
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Really enjoyed it. I decided to read something about magic and scotland and this book did not disappoint .
Dawn
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Sir Philip is sent to fetch Isobel the seer, He becomes her protector and honorable to the last.
Beth
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Isobel and Philip's story.
Jj873
Sep 03, 2008
Angel Daulton
Jul 31, 2014

• The Irresistible MacRae (The Highland Lords, #3)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride
  • Under the Highlander's Spell (Sinclare Brothers, #2)
  • Beloved Highlander
  • The Highlander (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #3)
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
  • Tamed by a Laird (Galloway Trilogy, #1)
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Highland Dragon
  • The Scotsman
  • Highland Obsession
Jen Holling lives in Oklahoma with her two children, boyfriend, and pets. She spent six years in the Air Force and holds degrees in electronics and behavioral studies. Her interests include reading, exercise, hiking, movies, music, and travel.

MacDonell Brides (5 books)
  • My Devilish Scotsman (MacDonell Brides, #2)
  • My Shadow Warrior (MacDonell Brides, #3)
  • My Immortal Protector (MacDonell Brides #4)
  • My Immortal Promise (MacDonell Brides, #5)