Start by marking “Jezebel” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Set against the sweeping backdrop of the ancient Holy Land, Jezebel is a tale of love, loss and deceit - and one woman’s struggle to survive in a land filled with rivals plotting her downfall…

Her name is iconic. Her courage extraordinary. Her story remarkable.

Jezebel, a young princess of Tyre is destined to be married to King Ahab of Israel. Yet she is determined to rule h
Published January 1st 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Jezebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jezebel

Jill Hudson
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I expected to love this book because I enjoy historical fiction and especially biblical fiction very much. This novel did have some good things going for it: an unusual perspective on the Bible, an easy-to-read style and some clever plot twists. However, it had several serious drawbacks in my opinion: many examples of sloppy writing; some serious anachronisms (silk was far too readily available!); too much in-your-face research (the author was very keen to assure us that she knew what Tyrian pur ...more
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
The name Jezebel is so known, but I do not know anything about the woman other than the loose image. I do not know her story or her place in history.
Whilst I am realistic enough to know that this is fiction, and has been written as a 'love' story within history - I found myself drawn more and more in to Jezebel's story and environment. Removing all the 'romance' and cleanses of the story-telling, I recognised that Jezebel has her place in the history of the bible, and of that region. I am deter
Evie Pey
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, well written and engaging.

I have never read a bad book by this author, can't wait to read the next release.
Richard Abbott
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I came to this story as it had been chosen for a book club I belong to. Since the subject matter is getting close to the period I like to write about (it is set only a few hundred years later, and in the same general region as `In a Milk and Honeyed Land`) I was unsure what I would think of it. I was acutely aware of the risk of judging it much more strictly than an equivalent book from another period.

In balance, for me, this was a four star book. The historical background had been looked into t
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jezebel, a princess of Tyre is to marry King Ahab of Israel, but not before she has an affair with Jehu, a visiting prince, that leaves her pregnant with his child. As she moves to Israel, she finds herself at odds with their customs and their religion, whilst meanwhile trying to protect the identity of her son’s true father.

Compared to how she is depicted in the Bible, this rendition is much more in favour of Jezebel. Some of this is due to a liberal artistic licence and changing certain events
Ashish Jaituni
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jezebel - I loved reading the book. A much despised figure in the Bible. The author takes a sympathetic view of the queen and writes a nicely carved story which is probably absolutely fiction but the good point she makes is on the dangers of a fanatically driven state. The book reminds us that these dangers are very relevant in today's world. A very readable book.
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs Jane
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book: on the one hand, I like the way that the Biblical figure of Jezebel is fleshed out; on the other, I don't like the way that the prophets Elijah and Elishah as depicted as dirty old men with designs on Jezebel herself. I think this is definitely a very romanticised view of Jezebel, and if you don't know your Bible or want just to accept this as a piece of fiction, then you'll probably enjoy iy. It's certainly worth reading, but I found the author's depiction ...more
Hannah Kim
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I read this a while ago so I can't recall specifics, more just the impressions the book made on me. Which may be slightly off. I would go back and reread it but honestly, I can't manage the slog right now when there are far more interesting reads. Maybe one day (if so I'll update this review).

So Jezebel was okay.

I love iconic, strong women of influence through history (I could binge read on the various Egyptian princesses and Chief Royal wives all day) and was looking for the same po
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not sure how much of it is true, but it's a really good read. I guess most of the stories in it and incidents are fictional, but now it interests me to find out how she actually was, and how close the real life Jezebel was, to the book's character.
My first experience of reading a novel based off a historic character plot and I'm pretty impressed.
Simple narrative, clear well written and pretty descriptive.
Perfect novel that shows how love can make or break lives...and how human being become bli
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Meh. If you're going to take an infamous historical character and retell her story, you might want to make sure your character is a believable human being. While every other character is dynamic and flawed, Jezebel can do no wrong. Throughout her life, she is strong and good at the core while others eventually fall to flawed ideology or pride.

Reader beware: this is nothing like the historical Jezebel, but instead a creative perspective on what her life was like. Prophets are lecherous rebel-rous
I loved this book. But, this book isn't for everybody, you got to want to read a story like this. If you're not into this type of books you better miss this one. I didn't know anything about Jezebel from the Bible,so I didn't have any idea how this character would be. From the beggining of the book the story got my attention, and I just couldn't stop reading it. It was beautifully written, I felt like I know the world Jezebel lived in. It was also an emotional ride,and the end really made me cry ...more
Jan 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
NOT BIBLICAL ! Claims Elijah Tried TO RAPE HER ?Where does the author get her information ? She speaks eloquently about the useless demons Jezebel worships and falsely accounts of the prophets of Yawah , the one true God ! Beware of this evil author. Read Reign of the Queens by Ginger Garrett, for accurate biblical account of this child killing witch. Or better yet, read 1Kings of the Holy Bible. Apparantly the authour of this Poor account didn't.
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
An insightful exploration into the young woman who was betrothed to seal alliances between the Judeans, the Israelites and the Phoenicians. The arrogance of two strong prophets, first Elijah and then Elisha, makes for an interesting contrast with the usually received perception of these renowned Biblical characters. Jezebel shows great strength as she negotiates the political complexities of ruling in this time.
Mousumi Bhattacharya
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the most discussed and cussed fallen woman in the history of fallen women. In fact her name has become synonymous to fallen women. The incidents in her life that made her infamous are in the book. But, the way the incidents are perceived is different. I loved it and recommend it to anyone who is a fan of historical fiction.
Savannah Asztalos
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book overall but I hated last part of the book. I was really upset with the author's decision though I'm sure it had to be done considering the historical contex. The ending was alright considering the last part. Overall a great book really enjoyed reading it :) I recommend it
Jimi-carol Benton
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A really good book but I found it distressing how much it went against the bible. I should have known though that the book would favor Jezebel. I really hated that it made the prophets of God look so evil.
this book states that it is historical, where there is some history to it a lot of it is way off base.
If you are going to write a story based on a Bible character, at least get your facts right.
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
1st read 2011
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
umm...the book was so good that I wanna read it once again...been sometime and I've forgotten it..
but surely an awesome read!
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Couldn't put this one down, but the artistic license based on historical events was quite liberal.
Justin Neville
Rating and review coming.

I know some of my Goodreads friends are currently reading this book or about to for our book group, so I won't prejudice their responses to it...
Kim Leach
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Looking forward to seeing how biblically accurate it is.
Rachel Rick
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this as much as I'd hoped; I was hoping for The Red Tent but this didn't match that. Entertaining but sometimes irritating
Kathleen Wells
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Awful book. Inconsistencies, and didnt have much to say. I cant even say if it is "historical" fiction.
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. Don't know enough about the history to know if its accurate but it was a good read and not overly heavy or descriptive which was just what i needed after my last book.
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good. Will read more by this author.
Jun 10, 2014
Nov 12, 2013
Nov 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible #2)
  • Secret of the Sands
  • Mary Magdalene
  • Delilah
  • The Triumph of Deborah
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Lilah (Canaan, #3)
  • Sarai (Wives of the Patriarchs, # 1)
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
  • Asenath
  • Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel Of The Exodus
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Ruth
  • City of the Dead (Seven Wonders, #1)
  • Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther (Lost Loves of the Bible #1)
Eleanor de Jong is the daughter of academics and grew up in Europe, America and the UK. She studied history and politics at university, and is now settled in London with her partner. Delilah is her first novel.
More about Eleanor De Jong...