Start by marking “Runner (The Runners, Part One)” as Want to Read:
Runner (The Runners, Part One)

Runner

(The Runners #1)

He just turned sixteen. He just got his first car. He is having the best time of his life. Then, his family? Gone. His life? Turned upside down. All he does now is run. He's running from some very bad guys. He's running to find answers. Time is ticking. In order to survive - in order to find his family - he must become, a Runner.

More in "The Runners" series:
Runner (The Run
Nook, 19 pages
Published June 4th 2011 by Logan Rutherford (first published May 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Runner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runner

Madeline
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012
I downloaded this book for free on amazon.com & it seemed interesting. However it was VERY VERY short; if it werent because I started it at almost midnight & had to go to sleep, I would have finished it in like 15-20 minutes. This book is 5 chapters, in which this guy is just running (as the title indicates), from some people who are chasing him & he doesnt know who they are or what they want from him. We dont even learn the guy's name, except they refer to him as Seventeen towards t ...more
Shannon
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
this was a short story only about 34 pages but it was really good and I want to know the rest of the story....
Todd Russell
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense
I like how this story starts out running, pardon the pun. It kind of reminded me a bit of that Patrick Dempsey movie, "Run" (although the plots are dissimilar) where there is very little setup and then bam! We're into the action. Who is chasing the boy named Seventeen? Why do they have his parents? I found it easy getting into Runner right away.

The story is short and you can read in thirty minutes or less.

Unfortunately, I was derailed a few too many times by shoddy editing. A different editor wo
Carl J.
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
A good start, but..., June 10, 2012

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Runner (The Runners, Part One) (Kindle Edition)
Runner (The Runners, Part One) is the first book in Rutherford's Runner series. I'm partway through the second book, Caught (The Runners, Part Two) and decided to go back and review the first. It's a good setup, very short and quick. Gets you into the story immediately and propels you forward. But it's very, very short, really a setup for Caught. And the
Ashley Ehlers
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Runner is a short story, prologue plus five short chapters, that can be finish in just but a few minutes.

However it'll hook and tug you in, deep within it's sitting over the edge concept.

I was intrigued when I kept seeing this story pop up when I was looking for free books on amazon, so I finally got it. I mean what can hurt, it's freaking free.

This book is fast paced and you can't help but flick the screen to the next page. Through out the book we never get the name of the main character. A
Paige Bradish
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought Runner by Logan Rutherford off of amazon and this is my honest review.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed, I've been wanting to be a writer for awhile now but I just haven't had the nerve to put anything out there. But this young author only 16 at the time which is a year younger than me now published sort of a whole mini series and I find that quite fascinating, and inspiring!

In part one which is Runner we meet Seventeen, I thought he had a name in the beginning but by the time I got to
Yianna Yiannacou
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Okay, so I am going to say this book was actually pretty interesting but horribly written. I give it 2.5 Stars. I was curious as to why this young boy was running for his life from an unknown predator.

It literally starts off with this boy running for his life. He used to have a normal life but after his birthday his family was kidnapped and he found a random note telling him to run for no apparent reason. He knew his life was on the line, so he complied. Calling the cops was out of the question
Rachael
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, dystopia, reviewed
The best part of this book is its action - there's constant adrenaline! There isn't one moment when the protagonist isn't fighting off gangs, throwing grenades, or running for his life. I believe this part of the book is well executed, making this the most enjoyable part of the book.

However, the main problem was it was much too short. I'm aware I'm a pretty fast reader, but I finished this book in a matter of five to ten minutes. There's also a cliffhanger, but luckily for me, I had the second p
Chrissy
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Not sure about this one...

All Seventeen remembers is that a group of strange men kidnapped his family and ordered him to RUN, promising that his family would die if he were ever to call the cops. Since then, Seventeen has been running -- and he doesn't know why, or even from whom he is actually even running.

One day, Seventeen meets another girl on the run, named Fifteen, who may have the key to the beginning of some real answers...

Of course, we don't learn anything in this book. Instead, everyth
Ruth B
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, mystery, short-story
I had this book on my Kindle-app for some time and finally I gave it a chance.
My rating is almost a 3... WHY? Because even though it's too short I think that is good and it only has 19 pages for a purpose!
I believe that the auhtor is trying to leave us intrigued.
And I'm really intrigued right now!
We don't even know the name of the boy and why is he running.
I think this first "book" could fit as the first chapter of this story.
The way the book is written is the hook for the others.
SO I don't th
Erin
Jan 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-free
This "book" reads like a creative writing piece written by the author when he was in middle school. It's short (took less than 10 minutes to read), it's choppy, and (view spoiler) It was a kindle free download so I'm not shocked that it isn't that good but I was just confused about this one...

Note to the author: Don't take this to mean I think you should stop writing, by
Nicola
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Short, simplistic, and very little substance. There is potential for this to be a pretty good story, but that potential was not quite met. Both background information and details are missing here. As a prologue this would make me want to read the rest of the story, as a stand alone I am merely left confused. Perhaps I should read the rest of the "trilogy".
Very poor editing! Disappointing, because even freebies should be edited properly. Young readers and potential writers take their cues from pu
Morty4
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-100-books
Okay, this is probably one of the most poorly written books I've read in a while. Or I guess I should say poorly edited, lots of grammar and spelling mistakes. They only reason I gave it two stars is because I did end up reading the four other books in the series (I wanted to know what happened). It's like a very weird version of the Matrix with no machines taking over the earth... Yeah. Also, they are all really short (it should probably just be one book).
Mariah
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
for a short story, i thought it was good. It was a cross between I Am Number Four meets Eagle Eye. Aside from a few typos and slow parts, it was good. I would've liked it to be a little less like reading a script because some parts were choppy. The story line could've been clearer. Other than those things, it was good and i'm going to read the next one.
Leigh Anne
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Definitely a quick, easy read. Not a lot of plot building, you definitely have to read the next books to know what is going on, because this book leaves you with no clue. But, I am curious enough to continue to read on to the next books for now.
Kristy
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
It's a very short book, you could probably read the whole series in one sitting. I thought it was interesting. A boy they call Seventeen is running from the people who have his family. Then he meets Fifteen and they try to discover WHO they're running from and why this is happening to them.
Sandie
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is not a great read. It is very short and we really don't get into the story before it is over. I would like to see where this story goes and see if the author redeems the story, characters, and background Information.
Roberta
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not impressed. The book was very short and had tons of short, pointless sentencez. My 4th grader son courld easily read this!
Christine Hayes
Was trying to decide between 2 or 3 stars. Was short and therefor I was angry when,it ended. just poof! the end. Was good but,unless it is free,I won't get the next chapter.
Midnight Sapp
It was good, really interesting, but too short. I will read the next one.
Lana
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I found lots of typos in the story. The storyline jumps around a bit and is very short. Recommended if you want a very short read.
Pam
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved it and couldnt wait to read the next one.
Jon Velez
Dec 30, 2013
T. Johnston
Apr 15, 2012
Sharon
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2016
Feb 22, 2016
Debi Tomlinson
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Coombe's Wood
  • Wyatt's Revenge
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Hidden in Plain View (A Darryl Billups Mystery)
  • Ruin
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Noir, City Shrouded By Darkness (Shades of Gray #1)
  • Blackout (Darkness Trilogy, #1)
  • Catharsis
  • Edwina
  • House Rules (Joe DeMarco, #3)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • Amid the Darkness (Refuge Inc., #2)
  • Unison (The Spheral #1)
  • The Gingerbread Dungeon

The Runners (5 books)
  • Caught (The Runners, Part Two)
  • Rescued (The Runners, Part Three)
  • Wake (The Runners, Part Four)
  • Eden (The Runners, Part Five)