Start by marking “Daughters of War (Leonora Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughters of War (Leonora Trilogy #1)

Daughters of War

(Leonora Trilogy/Frontline Nurses #1)

A thrilling and passionate World War I saga - The year is 1912, and Britain is gripped by fear of war with Germany. Intelligent, headstrong Leonora Malham Brown feels stifled by her middle-class upbringing, so when feisty Victoria Langford introduces her to the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry, she seizes her chance – and when trouble flares in the Balkans, the girls head to Bul ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Severn House Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughters of War

Start your review of Daughters of War (Leonora Trilogy #1)
Layla Ashby
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned-books
Hard to get into at first but picked up pace about 3 chapters in, was living it. Then gave up at about chapter 5.
Joanna Warrens
I am very confused. I read another series called Daughters of War by Hilary Green and this book is identical. Maybe it's a reissue of those books? I was excited to read this but I didn't want to read the same book again. It's the same characters.
Debbie Sarvis
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The story of a young privileged woman who joins others in supporting the war effort ( WW I) by learning first aid and expecting to help evacuate the injured from the battlefield. Of course, this lofty idea was squashed once they reached the war zone, so they learn how to nurse the sick and injured rather quickly. A very plausible scenario. Unfortunately, the author tries to add a note of romance to the story which I felt fell flat. Not sure I will continue the series.
lindsey simmons
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read

One of the best books I've picked up so far this year! The author takes the reader on an adventure facing some heinous situations faced by a woman of the era in which it is set. Couldn't out the book down until had finished reading about Leonora's fate. Will definitely be out having the other books in this series
Heather Copping
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019, ww1
This is a saga book, but a bit different, it covers events in a really true to life way, no cosy armchair read here. It covers the period leading up to WW1, in parts of the world that I didn't know what took place in this period of time. So a bit of a history lesson for me.
Kinsey Crosby
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, this book was so good I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves history of how women were treated.
Fi
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ooh goody: a new (to me) Hilary Green series to get stuck in to
Christine
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I give all 3 books 4 stars across the books. They are a very quick read and enjoyable
Manda Scott
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
One test of a good historical novel is that it leaves the reader with a sense of time and place - and of actual events - that spur further research or further reading in the era. This is one of the reasons why it's never a bad idea when two authors pick the same time period. As long as at least one of them is a worthwhile writer, the readership will transfer, wanting to gain more insight, more depth, a different view on the same world events.

By this standard, 'Daughters of War' succeeds admirabl
Margaret Bamford
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Parts of this book were harrowing as it described the injured coming in from the front in the First World War. I enjoyed the fact that women made themselves known to be useful when most men considered their rightful place to be at home as they were too frail or sensitive to be in the midst of the violence of war.
Hallie
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Lots of stars for the historical part of the story - the women in England who formed and joined the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry, and then the Women's Sick and Wounded Convoy, were fascinating and incredibly brave. Everything about that period and women nurses makes me think of Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth, which I saw televised and then read back in the late 70s. The restrictions faced by women, even experienced nurses, at a time of huge need, were huge, and the waste was shocking.

Anyway,
Stevie Carroll
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited when I heard that Hilary Green was writing a new series, this time set before and during the First World War. I wasn't disappointed, especially since the friendship between the two central female characters was exactly what I've been looking for. On top of that we get girls dressing as boys, references to Twelfth Night, gritting war reporting from two secondary characters, and a world of differences in attitudes between those on, or close to, the front line of the Balkans Conf ...more
Joanna
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
It will be interesting to see how the various storylines play out in books 2 and 3. This was a war in an era just before WWI that I was familiar with, but this particular war I did not know about. With today's relaxed mores and morals it's hard to take in the insult that our heroine's brother and the Colonel felt when Leo was discovered allowing herself to be thought of as male. I rather like Tom and the lengths he went to to help his friends and along the way sort of discovered himself as well. ...more
Kristin
Several chapters in, I thought I would not bother to read the next but soon I was sucked in and will certainly track down the next installment. My sense is that there will be a happy ending for Leo but no chance for Tom who will probably end up dying on the fields of France.

I enjoyed learning bit more of the events leading up to the Great War from an eastern European perspective.
Chris
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a light story but a lightly written story about a young woman's desire to make a difference in WWI by setting off from England to help an all woman's hospital by caring for the war's wounded. Historical novels are my favorite. This is the first of the Leonora Trilogy. So I'm on to read books two and three.
Grace
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
This was an easy read and the first book in the series. It wasn't remarkable but it was a good story. The main character Leo was an independant free thinking woman and I look forward to seeing how her story unfolds in the next book.
Pamela Healy
A pretty good read about WWI. Some of it was a bit unbelievable, especially in light of the fact that the main character came from a wealthy family and had little experience in the world.
K2swis
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the sequels to come into print:)
Peggy
Mar 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Juvenile romance
Cally73
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Loved the Follies series but found this rather meh. I enjoyed the historical aspect, but wasn't able to warm to most of the characters. Will continue with the next two books.
Mazzou B
Aug 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Interesting, but would not recommend on account of the morals in this book.
Bev
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just stumbled on this by accident and loved it.
Anne Moorhead
Jeremy Cocker
Jan 15, 2019
linda merryweather
Sep 01, 2019

• The Liverpool Nightingales (Nursing #2)
  • Wartime for the District Nurses (The District Nurse #2)
  • The Women of Mulberry Lane (Mulberry Lane #5)
  • Nightingale Wedding Bells (Nightingales #11)
  • The Midwives of Raglan Road
  • The Bluebird Girls (The Bluebird Girls #1)
  • Daughters of Liverpool (Nursing #3)
  • We'll Meet Again (The Bluebird Girls #2)
  • Nightingales Under the Mistletoe (Nightingales #7)
  • A Nightingale Christmas Carol (Nightingales #8)
  • The District Nurses of Victory Walk (The District Nurse, #1)
  • With Hope and Love (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #17)
  • Snow Angels (Lovely Lane #5)
  • A Nightingale Christmas Promise (Nightingales #10)
  • Miss Nightingale's Nurses (Nursing #1)
  • The Nightingale Sisters (Nightingales #2)
  • Nightingales at War (Nightingales #6)
  • Ellen's War: Blue Skies & Tiger Moths (The Spitfire Girl #1)
Hilary Green is a trained actress and spent many years teaching drama. She has always written, producing novels, scripts for the BBC, and short stories, one of which one the Kythira Prize awarded by the Historical Novel Society.

When not writing she gardens, rides horses, walks in the countryside and plays bridge as well as enjoying travel and has been round the world several times. Hilary is marr

Leonora Trilogy/Frontline Nurses (3 books)
  • Passions of War (Leonora Trilogy #2)
  • Harvest of War (Leonora Trilogy #3)