Start by marking “Late Innings: A Baseball Companion” as Want to Read:
Late Innings: A Baseball Companion

Late Innings: A Baseball Companion

Alternate cover edition for ISBN 0671425676

Incisive, personal reporting that covers the five most recent baseball seasons and such events as Reggie Jackson's three World Series home runs, the triumph of the Phillies, and the bitter ordeal of the 1981 players' strike.
Paperback
Published February 1st 1992 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Late Innings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late Innings

Tom Gase
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I learned a few things from this book. One, the Kansas City Royals and Pittsburgh Pirates used to be good. Honest truth. The second thing I learned is that nobody writes about baseball better than Roger Angell. Nobody.

I wish Roger Angell was still writing baseball books, because nobody has ever written about a sport better than he writes about the national pastime. I had previously read Five Seasons, and Season Ticket before reading Late Innings, which focuses on the baseball years 1977 through
Chris Schaffer
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'd probably give a 5 star rating to any Roger Angell baseball book. He is the greatest baseball writer there is, was or ever will be in my opinion. This book covers the 1977-1981 seasons, chronicling each season from Spring Training on, with vignettes along the way on Bob Gibson, the legendary St. John's-Yale game of 1981, semi-professional baseball leagues and more. If there's one gripe it's that with relation to the 1981 season, very little details are offered on the season and post-season.
Patrick Barry
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another book by the man who I consider is the best sportswriter of my time. The book covers the 1977 through 1981. . One great essay follows another in this book climaxing with the lunacy of the 1981 baseball strike. Simply great writing
Jim Townsend
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book of New Yorker essays about baseball by a man who probably writes about the sport better than anyone.
Randal
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Angell completists only
Shelves: baseball
I am generally a fan of Angell's writing, but not this book:
He's constantly looking behind the scenes, instead of at the game, and the whole peek-behind-the-curtain look at a baseball writer's life has gotten old, somehow;
I don't really care about baseball's 1980-81 labor issues, however trenchant the copy was at the time, nor does it matter much who went 13-for-27 in a big-league call-up when we can look up the rest of their career in hindsight;
The players and even the game he
Mike
Nov 06, 2007 rated it liked it
About two-thirds through, I don't think I'm going to finish this one up. Maybe I will another time. It's very well written but it's generally focused on the late 70s/early 80s and not presented in a broad context. There is a lot of detail about certain performances of that moment which stopped holding my interest after a while... like the articles about past Spring Trainings. These were relevant articles at the time, for the most part, but now just read as an archive. Now that there is actual ba ...more
Chuck Fannin
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love all of Angell's baseball anthologies. What makes this one special, in my opinion, is "Distance", the profile of Bob Gibson. Gibson's intensity and pursuit of excellence practically leap off the printed page. It makes me wish I had seen him in his prime.

If you have never read anything by Roger Angell before, then start with "The Summer Game". (Plus, you'll get some Bob Gibson in the chapter on the '68 Series. Go Tigers.)

But if you are a Bob Gibson Fan, read this. Th
Ralph
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-r-shelf
More great baseball writing from Roger Angell - he doesnt produce anything less. I particularly enjoy going back to the "period" reports, as many of the issues raised, and the author's thoughts on them, have now played out (and mostly not in a good way).
Yet Mr Angell's writing always delivers the beauty and the thrill of baseball, and the joy in maturing along with the great players over the years.
I recommend all of the author's baseball books for a fan interested in its history - no
Homerun2
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully enjoyable for baseball fans. Even though the players and situations he describes are now decades old, much of what he has to say about the game is timeless.

My favorite columns: women sports reporters in the locker room, and the visit with his penpal and her boyfriend/pro baseball aspirant.

Beautifully written, sharply insightful.
Tom
Jul 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, essays
Late Innings is a little more somber than his other works; the player strikes and owner lockouts, fading popularity of baseball in America, the retirement of his heroes from the 50s and 60s. It isn't his best work, and I'd rather reread The Summer Game or Five Seasons instead, but still miles above most other baseball writing.
Ray
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A highly literate account of the national pastime from the seasons 1977 10 1981. They were originally articles in the New Yorker magazine. Interestingly there was a footnote that mentioned Bill James who had been one of the pioneers of the present day analytics movement.
Vickie
Sep 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
One of America's most skillful baseball writers. Baseball before The Strike, when it was lost to me, seemingly forever.
Brian Schnack
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-sports
Hall inductee Angell's ode to the dusk of baseball. A wayback machine. Somber is a good word for it. Final chapter - In the Country - is the best baseball I've read since A False Spring.
Mark
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quite simply, my favorite baseball book of all time. There's simply no better scribe out there than Roger Angell.
Bob Vogt

• Why Time Begins on Opening Day
  • Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers
  • The Lords of the Realm
  • The Long Season
  • The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World
  • Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic: Reggie, Rollie, Catfish, and Charlie Finley’s Swingin’ A’s
  • Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • Stars and Strikes: Baseball and America in the Bicentennial Summer of ‘76
  • Dollar Sign on the Muscle: The World of Baseball Scouting
  • Stolen Season: A Journey Through America and Baseball's Minor Leagues
  • The House That Ruth Built: A New Stadium, the First Yankees Championship, and the Redemption of 1923
  • Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick
  • Nine Innings: The Anatomy of a Baseball Game
  • The Pitch That Killed
  • Baseball
  • Fifty-Nine in '84: Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball, and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had
  • The Final Season: Fathers, Sons, and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark
Roger Angell (b. 1920) is a celebrated New Yorker writer and editor. First published in the magazine in 1944, he became a fiction editor and regular contributor in 1956; and remains as a senior editor and staff writer. In addition to seven classic books on baseball, which include The Summer Game (1972), Five Seasons (1977), and Season Ticket (1988), he has written works of fiction, humor, and a memoir, Let Me Finish (2006).