Start by marking “Season Ticket” as Want to Read:
Season Ticket

Season Ticket

Angell's absorbing collection traces the highs and lows of major-league baseball in the 1980s
Roger Angell once again journeys through five seasons of America's national pastime--chronicling the larger-than-life narratives and on-field intricacies of baseball from 1982 to 1987. Angell's collected "New Yorker" essays, written in his unique voice as a fan and baseball aficio
Mass Market Paperback, 406 pages
Published February 13th 1989 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Season Ticket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season Ticket

Jeff
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Each of the last three years I have read one of Roger Angell’s book during Spring Training. It is an exercise in nostalgia both from the content as well as the fact that I read these books going on forty years ago as well.

This book, the most recent of the series, was the least succesful in my opinion. This is primarily because in this collection the author devotes several chapters to discussions with various players, infielders, catchers, pitchers, and the art, seen and unseen, of their craft.
Patrick Barry
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Another fine baseball book by America's best sportswriter. It covers the seasons 1982 through 1987. Prominent in the book is Sparky Anderson's Detroit Tigers and the catastrophic 1986 World Series and the birth of the Curse of the Bambino. A very good read, but I liked his other books better. Maybe 1986 was too painful?
Steve
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd never read anything by Angell before, and this book, published in 1988, is concerned primarily with seasons in the 80s when I really did not pay attention to sports. I'm glad this book found me, though, as Angell writes beautifully about the sport, about the ways it is played, about the unexpected moments of never-before-seen events, about the routine, about the specifics of positions, about the ways players go about their business, and about the way the game is always changing. His viewpoin ...more
Robert Greenberger
This collection of New Yorkeressays covers 1984-1987, for me prime baseball fan years. I had lost contact with the sport while at college, slowly regaining my connection in 1980. As a result, this was a leisurely, thorough walk down memory lane for me.

Angell is one of the most poetic writers about the sport, with a fan's enthusiasm and critic's eye. He shares his attention pretty equally between AL and NL, younger players and veterans alike. The game itself fascinates him as he delves deeper in
Tom Gase
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just found out tht every Roger Angell baseball book is out of print. Why??? After reading this gem I am now also in the opinion that Angell is one of the best baseball writers ever.

This book is about him covering baseball from 1983 through 1987, which just happens to be some of the years (1985-1986) that I first began to love Major League baseball. Some of the players that Angell talks to to in this book I hadn't heard about in years, some of them over a decade. Season Ticket really brought m
Bill
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book from one of the best American writers. This covers a time when I was living in a baseball city and was more of a baseball fan than I am now, so the names and even some games are clear memories for me. But Angell could be writing about anything; politics, quantitative easing, the farm report or sex workers in Bangkok and it would be a pleasure to read. His season wraps in the New Yorker have always been a treat, and his takes on steroids and asterisks in general are always clear- ...more
Larry Hostetler
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Enjoyable read about baseball in the mid-1980s. Interesting perspectives, with various chapters focusing on different aspects of the game or teams or individuals. A collection of writings, the thread running through the book is the time-frame, ostensibly one season. But it goes beyond one season and I'm glad it did. The spring training focus was enjoyable, as was the ending chapter on the Hall of Fame. Its non-reportorial style enhanced the enjoyment.
Charles M.
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting baseball book of compilation of interviews of numerous ballplayers just after the drug scandals of the late 70s and right before the steroids age. Author marvels over such people as McGuire and Canseco, unbeknowst to everybody that these players were powered by 'roids. Also, great pourview of Cooperstown HOF induction during that summer (1987) when Catfish Hunter, Billy Williams and Negor league Ray Dandridge were inducted.
Dagezi
Jun 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: maybe even non-baseball fans
If you like baseball the fifth star is a no brainer. Even if you're not, the loveliness and pacing of the language is appealing in its own right. And of course he is a Mets fan so it's not like I'm biased or anything... I like to think he's not simply the greatest writer about baseball, but a great writer genre be damned. Your mileage may vary however.
Tom
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As fan's views of baseball go, this is one of the most pleasant reads of my young life. Though dated, Angell wrote Season Ticket in 1988, most of the names in the book were familiar to me from my earliest years as a baseball fan. His treatment of the 1986 World Series (the second-to-last chapter) in which his 2 favorite teams squared off is simply poetic.
Steve
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great meditation on baseball. A mix between deeply researched and interviewed chapters examining what it means to be a great position player (catcher, infielder), and long odes to the peculiarities of midseason games, and playing on winning and losing teams.

Angell can capture a scene and a mood like no other.

Eventually I'll make my way through all of these. Just so, so good.
Bill Leesman
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A follow up to his Five Seasons. Similar, but not as compelling. Still an excellent read and a must for long time baseball fans.
Janet
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't like baseball. At all. This is a 30ish year old book about baseball. It is FANTASTIC. Roger Angell is an amazing writer with enough passion about baseball to turn anyone into a fan.
Allan
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball
A snapshot of baseball in the mid eighties at the start of the steroid era. Roger Angell is probably the best writer in the history of the game as well as being one of the greatest fans ever.
Ted
Jun 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Pure baseball joy.
Terry Morrison
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best baseball writer in the business.
Chad
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Why Time Begins on Opening Day
  • The Lords of the Realm
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • Fenway 1912: The Birth of a Ballpark, a Championship Season, and Fenway's Remarkable First Year
  • Dollar Sign on the Muscle: The World of Baseball Scouting
  • Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy
  • The Curious Case of Sidd Finch
  • Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic: Reggie, Rollie, Catfish, and Charlie Finley’s Swingin’ A’s
  • The House That Ruth Built: A New Stadium, the First Yankees Championship, and the Redemption of 1923
  • Memories of Summer: When Baseball Was an Art, and Writing about It a Game
  • Baseball
  • Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick
  • Stars and Strikes: Baseball and America in the Bicentennial Summer of ‘76
  • Stolen Season: A Journey Through America and Baseball's Minor Leagues
Roger Angell (b. 1920) is a celebrated New Yorker writer and editor. First published in the magazine in 1944, he became a fiction editor and regular contributor in 1956; and remains as a senior editor and staff writer. In addition to seven classic books on baseball, which include The Summer Game (1972), Five Seasons (1977), and Season Ticket (1988), he has written works of fiction, humor, and a memoir, Let Me Finish (2006).