Start by marking “Raggedy Chan (A Chinese Heritage Tale, #1)” as Want to Read:
Raggedy Chan (A Chinese Heritage Tale, #1)

Raggedy Chan (A Chinese Heritage Tale #1)

4.86  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Emma Chan-McDougal receives a special gift from her Auntie Gracie: a rag doll named Raggedy Chan. But Raggedy Chan is no ordinary doll. She is a beautiful Chinese princess who lives in a jasper palace on the enchanted isle of Kunlun. The peace of her island home is threatened when Drought Fury steals Winged Dragon, bringer of rain. Without Winged Dragon, Kunlun will wither ...more
Published (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Raggedy Chan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raggedy Chan

NebraskaIcebergs
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Let me introduce you to a little gem of about sixty pages that I read this week: Raggedy Chan by Camille Picott. The first in her Heritage Tale series, it really contains two stories. The first is about Emma Chan-McDougal, who receives a rag doll from her Auntie Gracie. The second is about a Chinese princess whose home is threatened by a drought. Through these two interwoven stories, Picott adeptly introduces readers to Chinese traditions while also acknowledging the perpetual struggle with alie ...more
May
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was in the Chinese story and making wontons and using chopsticks :D wish I was Chinese.... literally!
Lan Chan
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Original review can be found on my blog: http://thewriteobsession.blogspot.com...

It's All In The Plot
Raggedy Chan is first and foremost an adventure. Though it's aimed at younger children, I couldn't help but admire how incredibly complex it was. It's got notable mythical animal characters to entice children and exciting plot twists for those of us who are on the other side of childhood (sniff). Just when I thought things were going to be smooth sailing another obstacle would arise and Raggedy C
Cathy  Keaton
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect from this very short story. I was able to get it for free, so I decided to take a chance on it, and it turned out to be a really wonderful read.

The story begins with a little half-American/half-Chinese girl named Emma who is being babysat by her Chinese immigrant aunt Gracie. Gracie gives her a rag doll named “Raggedy Chan” and proceeds to tell her the fairy tale behind the doll. It weaves back and forth between the story and the scenes of Emma being sat by her aunt.
Scott
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed-copy
Raggedy Chan by Camille Picott involves Auntie Grace telling a story to her niece Emily about respecting her heritage. The story she chooses to tell is one of a Princess of a faraway place who comes to another land in order to save her home. She has to make some major sacrifices in order to find what she needs to save her family.

The beginning and end of each chapter involve a scene with Aunt Grace teaching Emily a little of what it means to be Chinese with the middle of the chapters following R
Heidi Garrett
In this beautifully rendered modern fable, Camille Picott blends a tale of mythical Chinese creatures with the traditional American image of Raggedy Ann to introduce a new heroine: Raggedy Chan. Destined to become a classic, Raggedy Chan faces the hardships of all strangers in strange lands. But when she befriends Paul Bunyan and his ox, Blue, things start looking up.

The scenes between Auntie Gracie and young Emma are heartwarming, and will make this book a favorite to be read again and again. T
Susan Pace-Koch
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Raggedy Chan captures our imagination. Clever story.
We learn about traditions, quests and determination and new adventures in new lands. This book is to be enjoyed by people of all cultures and ages. Will look for more from this author!
Jessica Claycomb
Jul 24, 2014
Camille Picott
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shaharizan Perez
Jun 11, 2014
I've always felt that minority characters are under-represented in the genre of speculative fiction (science fiction and fantasy). I have noticed a growing awareness of this among the hard-core fan base, but change is slow. As a person of mixed race (half Chinese, half Caucasian), some part of me has always struggled to find characters I could identify with racially.

Every book I voluntarily select
More about Camille Picott...

A Chinese Heritage Tale (2 books)
  • Nine-Tail Fox (A Chinese Heritage Tale, #2)