Start by marking “Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)

Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #3)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  12,511 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
A New York Times BestsellerThis harrowing new bestseller by the master of medical thrillers combines the fast action of a nerve-jangling thriller with the medical possibilities that are Robin Cooks trademarks.When a notorious underworld figure, Carlo Franconi, is gunned down, his body is snatched from the city morgue before it can be autopsied. A few days later, a floater ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 461 pages
Published March 17th 1997 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Chromosome 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chromosome 6

Mansuriah Hassan
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the third medical thriller series of Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery. The author Robin Cook is a physician and writer. For those who believe that science and technology can radically change the world for good, this is sort of an eye-opener. The story line starts a bit slow, then becomes quite intriguing in the middle and then leads up to a rather unsatisfactory finish.

Cook develops two parallel and intersecting plots about scientists in Equatorial Guinea who are frantically exp
Arys
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has its pros and cons.

Pros: To anyone who loves the applications of biotechnology to medical fields, and its ethical implications, this book provides a good plot personally, I feel it leaves the reader with the idea that the ethics of such research and practical genetic applications are very real.

Cons: The plot. I mean, in the beginning, I liked how the plot builds in both storylines, and I liked how the story progressed. But the whole idea that a medical examiner from New York would m
Nothing
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in a day, slowish start but picked up. I didn't connect to the characters though, except for Warren. I love his friendship with Jack.
The ending was incredibly unsatisfactory though. Maybe the numerous unanswered questions are answered in a later Robin Cook novel?

++(SPOILER ALERT AHEAD)++

You never learn what happened with GenSys, or Kevin, Melanie or Candace. Like... cool, they don't die. But what DO they do? Did Kevin end up hooking up with one of them? (Both?) What happens when Tayl
Jayesh Bhoot
The book starts off with a promising premise of a doctor worrying about his ethically horrifying invention in a darker, deserted part of Africa. Parallel to it, the two famous pathologists - Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery - work on an intriguing, but almost clueless murder of a mobster. These two parallel story lines unfold neatly, intertwining the characters in the process.

Though the investigation of the two pathologists was awesome, it also faltered the pace of the story. Cook stuffed an
Austin Mccarthy
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary:Chromosome 6 takes place in two totally different main settings. There is a medical office in New York City, but there is also a medical research center, Gensys, in the town of Cogo, Equatorial Guinea, Africa. In this research facility, the scientist are expierimenting with the extraction of the short arm of chromosome six. After extracting the short arm of chromosome six, they would insert it into a bonobo, a ape-like creature that is like humans (DNA wise). This process is used for org ...more
Paula
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una gran idea para un thriller médico donde la trama gira en torno a la prioridad económica de la medicina actual, con éste principio, organizaciones científicas, médicos inminentes y personas con gran influencia económica se unirán para crear y mantener un proyecto que va más allá del conocimiento científico y parámetros éticos y morales.
Si bien es un drama atrapante,a mi parecer la excesiva cantidad de personajes secundarios y los cambios de perspectiva de la historia constantemente hizo a la
Shabbeer Hassan
I had always enjoyed Robin Cook's books, but then I gave up on him. His books just got so repetitive and predictable. So it's been a long time, but I decided to give Chromosome 6 a try. This book seemed a bit harder-edged than the other Cook books I'd read, with a very serious theme, and a respectful look at the relevant issues.

There are two related stories going on. One takes place in New York, where a mobster's death takes a strange turn during the autopsy. The investigators stumble onto a rea
Ali Hassan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a student of Genetic Engineering so this book was quite entertaining for me not only this but it hold the capability keep hands of the one glued to the pages who start it reading. Some of the twits were unacceptable. Like a bunch of doctors and basket ball players knocked down armed gangsters huh.

Cook is basically a doc first than a author so I am giving it 5 stars no matter that this book ends with the worst epilogue I have read so far. Nothing about what happened to the three some of Kevi
Kitty
Feb 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a re-read for me. Kevin Marshall is a molecular biologist working in Equatorial Guinea. He is able to manipulate Chromosome 6 of bonobos (ape-like creatures) and replace with human DNA. This allows for humans to create their own organ donors (bonobos) and then the organs are harvested when needed. GenSys is funding this project and they don't really appear to be evil...but their on-site managers are greedy and will do anything to keep the lucrative project going. When Kevin see ...more
Shruthi
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This fast paced thriller by Robin Cook featuring jack and laurie is my first book in the series. I was quite impressed how the author has woven the story despite the fact that this book being quite technical. I would definitely recommend this book to people as the story is gripping and really interesting. have a look at the glossary behind or have a biology dictionary nearby before you start the book !!!
Sheila
Mar 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Once again Robin Cook tells us that we shouldn't fool with Mother Nature. There is always just enough possibility in what he is writing about to make you think that yes, somewhere in a lab somewhere, someone is trying to do just this. This one is genetics gone awry.

I have read a lot of Dr. Cook's novels but Coma is still my favorite.
Rosemary
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical and somewhat predictable thriller and almost science fiction, but with a difference. It is medical research and an evil multinational pitted against those with principles. And of course, those marvellous bonobos. Much of it is set in AFrica with steaming jungles and exotic non-western settings.
Dagny
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this medical thriller Cook returns us to the characters who work in the NYC morgue. They share the scene with characters at a research complex on the west coast of Africa. In non-stop action, the two stories converge with a harrowing climax. I found the African part totally fascinating.
Supriya
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Chromosome 6 was one of the earliest Si Fi books I read. Robin Cook has done an excellent job here! The very idea of gene transplant which as hitherto a boring chapter in Science text books was suddenly cool and awesome! I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book!!
Diana
A thrilling page turner. With a riveting mix of murder, mystery, medical, adventure, action, gangland and science, this book will draw you in and then add a surprising take on genetic engineering that would put any ethics committee in a tizzy.
Patrick Scheele
I did like the mysteries Jack and Laurie were trying to solve. They were appropriately perplexing. But not for the reader! We learn almost immediately what is going on, because we also follow this Kevin guy who knows all about it. So, don't read this book if you like to be kept in the dark as much as the investigators are.

I wasn't particularly fond of the whole "apes with a tiny bit of human DNA are people too" storyline. It was preachy, unbelievably cold that they cared more about the apes than
Antonie De Klerk
The plot is a bit ridiculous. Creating a protohuman from bonabo and human dna just so the rich can have an organ donor on standby... Does the bonobo then have all human organs? How long could a thing like that survive? The creator then sets them free in the jungles of Africa and the reader is supposed to sympathise and approve of this tremendously arrogant and stupid behaviour. Imagine how much havoc that would cause to the indigenous species of the area. Seems quite typical colonial thinking th ...more
Ivy
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My last dystopian cloning thriller for now. While it moves along quickly enough, and the science was interesting- there did seem some plot issues. I think it's aged, I wouldn't think a giant illegal biotech corporation would bother having a secret monkey island in Africa to avoid the bad publicity if it was found out - so yes, this book is not dystopian enough! Also I would love a boss who would agree to let me go to Equatorial Guinea for work based on my say so.
Elisa Vangelisti
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 978-scambio
Me lo sto trascinando dietro da tre giorni e – non me ne vogliano il buon Cook e la sua bella prosa – non posso proprio finirlo. È avvincente, ero curiosa, ma la curiosità non è sufficiente a proseguire. Ho trovato diversi svarioni (non me ne voglia nemmeno la Magrini che lo ha tradotto), ma tutto sommato è un buon prodotto. L’ho acquistato e volevo terminarlo, ma sarà per un’altra vita.
Diane Large
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended this book to me and I am so glad! This is a very interesting medical thriller with genetics going awry. Drs. Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery have a body stolen from the autopsy lab, strange reports on a liver, and murders. What's not to like? I will read more in this series.
Petra
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uuh, woow.. i really liked the book, the story, the plot, characters but main reason for 3 stars is the ending. It was kind of rushed, without satisfactory ending story; I mean, I was left with so many questions about some characters and events. Feels like somebody stole the end of the book :)
Tammy
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Cook merges Edgar Rice Burroughs's TARZAN, H.G. Wells' ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU, and Mario Puzo's THE GODFATHER, and he does it well. Some may say the ending is untidy, but, on the whole, Dr. Cook trusts his readers' intellect to settle unresolved issues.
Arwen
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is really interesting. Unfortunately, the characters made annoyingly poor choices. All the main characters are well educated, professionals but over and over make really bad decisions without any logic or common sense behind them. It was very contrived.
Brian Kirk
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a real rollercoaster it was a bit slow to start and then things really got crazy, only to finish off a little dully. This is the third book in the series and I can’t wait to get to the next one.
Veronica Harris
Good read, however, I wanted a different ending!
Lexi
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a while to get going...

But this one finished with a bang. The book raised some uncomfortable moral dilemmas. I liked seeing Jack and Laurie again, though.
Sasha Soleta
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this installment. It did take a while to get into it because the amount of technical talk but getting past that it was really enjoyable.
Phyllis
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and probably not too far off the mark . Implant gene to grow certain part that is just made for the wealthy client who needs the failing organ. Caught in interesting way.
Paula Špoljarić
Sep 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a medical trailer and it's a bit complicated but really interesting.
Chromosome 6 1 6 Oct 18, 2015 01:22PM
  • Natural Causes
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Cold Plague
  • Deception (Dr Steven Dunbar, #2)
  • Implant
  • The Genesis Code
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri
More about Robin Cook...

Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery (10 books)
  • Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)
  • Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #4)
  • Marker (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #5)
  • Crisis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #6)
  • Critical (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #7)
  • Foreign Body (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #8)
  • Intervention (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #9)
  • Cure (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #10)

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99