Start by marking “White Fang (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
White Fang (Great Illustrated Classics)

White Fang (Great Illustrated Classics)

Part wolf and part dog, orphaned White Fang relies on his instincts as well as his inborn strength and courage to survive in the Yukon wilderness despite both animal and human predators but eventually comes to make his peace with man.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about White Fang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Fang

Start your review of White Fang (Great Illustrated Classics)
Melissa
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My youngest loved wolves, so I got him this for a birthday present. We read it together, with his big brother, before bed. At first, the harsh reality of life in the wild caused a little heartache, but it was also fascinating to see life from White Fang's perspective.

Once White Fang is adopted by Wheedon Scott, the book took a much happier turn. We absolutely loved the ending.
Wes Flease
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response: I think this book was very interesting. The book had lots of plot twist. The dog narrates the book with its thoughts. I think that makes the book interesting because it's different than what we are used to. The author did a great job of painting a good picture in my head.

Plot Summary: White Fang was a pup of a dog and wolf. White Fang and his mother lived in the wild. They were split up by an Indian tribe and never saw each other again. White Fang was sold to a mean man. The
Haili
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story line of this story is about a part wolf part dog named White Fang who overcomes his weaknesses while trying to survive in the frozen frontier of the Yukon. As White Fang being the main character, he was an orphan cub who gets sold to one person to the other until he finds a person who will love him and becomes a very crucial character to White Fang. This book is very interesting because of the story line and because of all the hardships White Fang has to go through until reaching his ...more
Josephine
I'm not sure how to rate this book so I'm not going to. My seven year old would give it 5 stars though. She devoured this book! And that's saying something because I've had a hard time finding books that interest her and that she will sit and read on her own. She loves wolves and dogs though, so when my husband pulled out his old set of illustrated classics from his childhood, she picked this one and she was hooked from page one. She read the whole thing in a couple days and has already started ...more
Makenna stull
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
White Fang ( Great Illustrated Classics) is a classic re-told for children. White Fang is about a half-wolf, half-dog surviving in Alaska. The purpose of the book is to show loyalty. This book shows illustrations to help younger readers understand the book easier. I enjoyed it and liked that I could read this classic without reading the full version (the tiny print on the full version hurts my eyes.) I recommend this book to children and adults who want an easier read but still be able to read ...more
Aljeron2010
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
A classic re-told for children, White Fang is about a half-wolf half-dog surviving in Alaska. The purpose of the book is to show loyalty. This book has illustrations to help younger readers understand the book. I enjoyed it and liked that I could read this classic without reading the full version (the tiny print on full versions hurts my eyes.)
Paxton
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is a wolf, not that there are one or two, but there was a pack. Did i confuse you yet? Anyway, this wolf went and got a bad owner, ended up in a fighting ring, and got better owners and ended up in calafornia. Two more words to make the reveiw ofical, Igamadoofus Bookaflok.
Alana
Feb 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the better reasons I have for why I talk to my pets. Jack London is certainly opinionated when it comes to society, but I have to admit that he does bring up some excellent points... albeit unpleasant at times.
Kimberly Larreta
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was about a dog that is half wolf gets beat till he bleeds. He has a new owner and they show him how to not growl at people and to not fight with other dogs. He has kids with his new owners other dog and they lived happily. I would recommend this book to people who like dogs.
Ashlynn
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is AWESOME! I have loved this book ever since 2nd grade. It is a fast and easy read for me. It is super easy to keep up with and it is a book that you will never get sick of.
Amber Kestner
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really love these classics.
Katherine
Loved it! Looking forward to reading the full version.
Ellen
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read aloud for my 6, 5, and 3 year old. They liked this version better than the illustrated classic version from Barnes and Noble. My 6 year old said this book gave much more detail. Had just enough pictures to keep my 5 and 3 y/os engaged
Ben
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a 12 year old home schooler. All of the pictures in great illustrated classics help me understand the story. I've read Call of the Wild and White Fang. I like them both but White Fang has a little bit of a happier ending.
Harmoni
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, read multiple copies and love it more each time.
Dylan
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shows how back then humans used to be cruel to animals.
Justin
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel as though 3 stars is the most you can give for a simplified version of a book
Justin D.
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it

Have you ever wondered what makes dogs and wolves so similar but different? This book is very good at showing the grueling and harsh perspective of an Alaskan wolf. The main characters are White Fang a ferociously strong wolf, Kiche a she-wolf and mother of White Fang, Gray Beaver White Fangs first master, Beauty smith his second master, and Weedon Scott his third master. Throughout the story, White Fang meets several humans which he refers to as gods. White Fang is treated badly and at times
Hope Cannode
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"White Fang" by Jack London. White Fang is half dog and half wolf. Growing up in the Yukon territory of Canada during the Klondike Gold Rush, he learned the law of the Wild at an early age: kill, or be killed, eat, or be eaten. Separated from his mother and traded from master to master, White Fang never grasped the concept of love, and violence was all that he knew. Having no teacher, he learned the rules of survival by experience. Then, a cruel man called Beauty Smith buys White Fang and turns ...more
Keke
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So heartwarming and charming. I definitely want to read the adult version.
Mason J 6
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The great illustrated classic of White Fang by Jack London is about a young wolf named White Fang. His mother, Kiche, and White Fang go scavenging for food in the winter because the Far North is having a famine. While scavenging for food they are taken in by a tribe of Native Americans that Kiche’s mother belonged to. White fang is traded by the tribe to a guy named Beauty Smith who runs a dog fighting ring.
I feel like everyone should read this book. I think this book is valuable because it
Anna
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The reason I gave it three stars is because I thought it would be a little different then what I have read before. The book was good but it wasn't what I thought it would be like. I thought t would have just a little more action than what it did.
This book was about a wolf named White Fang. he starts out as a pup then goes through his life growing up. White fang got his name when him and his mother found an Indian camp that had food that smelled and that Indian camp was were his mother grew up.
Jered Moore
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The storyline of this book is about a wolf dog that survives with his mom in the frontier of Yukon. White Fang goes through many challenges in his life. The main character is White fang throughout the book. He gets sold and bought because of his fierce abilities. He is the more hated wolf for killing other owned dogs. White Fang is eventually a hero for his actions. White Fang cares for his final owner because of the kindness he has towards him. This is now my favorite book out of the Great ...more
Jose Caldera
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
White Fang by Jack London is my book. This book is all about a half dog and half wolf life and all of his adventures. It also talks about many owners he had and most of the owners were mean to him. In his family he was the only one who survived. His dad died and his mother navigate from the Mackenzie river. His brother was eaten by other animals.

I love dogs-that's why I picked up the book. I totally liked this book because it is an adventure book. But, if I have to change something I would
Demitria
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is outrageously fantastic. This book is about a family wolf pack that soon goes scarce of food from where they live and have to relocate and then loses one of its family members which is called the white fang. He is half of a wolf and half of a wild type of species that lives in the wild. He soon finds his mother but he doesn’t know who she is. I reccomend this book to any age limit, if you want to find out the rest of the story go pick up your copy of The White Fang by Jack London at ...more
Allison
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to Jacob and he thought it was very interesting. It might be a little old for him yet (even though this is the condensed and illustrated version), but I enjoyed reading a novel at bedtime. Jacob loves animals so of course this was right up his alley--he asked that I check out some more of the illustrated classics.
King Haddock
It was not my favorite Jack London book, although very vividly colored according to his eloquent writing style. Still, anyone ever seen the White Fang movie? I found it terrible, completely unlike the novel. If a movie is going to be titled after the book, it might as well have the same plotline and characters.
Kaffa
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: terrible-books
This is a cancer infecting our literacy. The Great Illustrated Classics is an abridged telling of a classic with half the pages being pictures. It is insulting to the reader and the author. It's the next greatest insult to remaking books into comics. The only reason I give it two stars is that it is based on a great book. If it were it's own story I'd give it one.
Kyle Hengesbach
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Another one of Jack London's best, White Fang, is about a part wolf/part dog living in the Yukon wilderness. White Fang fights against men and animals everyday for survival in the harsh winter. In the end the reader wishes that they had a dog like White Fang who finally realizes what is right.
Angela
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am glad to have read this story with my son. It was pretty intense in the beginning and I thought about stopping our progress. It was a good lesson in how an animal or human will behave when treated poorly and how well we can get along when treated and taught with kindness.
White Fang 1 1 Oct 14, 2015 04:42PM

• The Wizard of Oz (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Black Beauty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Swiss Family Robinson (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Oliver Twist
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Moby Dick (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • Around the World in 80 Days (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Jungle Book (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Peter Pan
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
“paralyzed, then he scrambled backward, yelping his cries of pain. Hearing her cub's cries, Kiche pulled at her stick in a rage, helpless to come to White Fang's aid.     Gray Beaver laughed loudly and called everyone to see White Fang. Soon, they were all laughing at the pitiful little cub who sat yelping and crying and trying to soothe his burnt nose with his burnt tongue.     At that moment, White Fang understood what shame was. He knew the Indians were laughing at him, and he couldn't bear it. He turned and fled to his mother. He fled, not from the hurt of the fire, but from the laughter” 0 likes