Start by marking “Fabian Escapes” as Want to Read:
Fabian Escapes

Fabian Escapes

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Caldecott Honor-winning Hondo and Fabian are back!

The award-winning cat and dog duo returns for another set of adventures. This time, Hondo stays home while Fabian goes outside. Seen from a cat-and-dog's-eye view, an ordinary day is elevated to an exciting new level.

Peter McCarty's simple text and signature lush watercolor-and-pencil illustrations make it clear that wherev
Published April 17th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Fabian Escapes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fabian Escapes

Lisa Vegan
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all readers who love dogs & cats; for reading aloud & independent readers
I recently read and enjoyed Hondo & Fabian and then immediately reserved this book at the library.

And, I liked this book even better than I did the first one.

It gets dogs and cats perfectly, and it’s so amusing and sweet.

This is a wonderful book for reading aloud and for independent readers too.

It’s a wonderful story for talking about friendship, comparing lifestyles and adventures, and, of course, dogs and cats, and actually the story is very realistic.

The illustrations, as in the first bo
Krystal
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This is not just a book about the innocent hijinks a cat and his dog roommate get into. This is a book about a cat and his struggle with a merciless God.

The excerpt starts out innocently enough. Fabian the cat, in a house completely devoid of responsible adults, likes to sit in the window and suffer the injustice of watching the outside world pass him by without ever having a chance to experience it. Hondo, the dog he is forced to share small spaces with, gets to come and go as he pleases. With
John Sullivan
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fabian Escapes is the sequel to Hondo & Fabian. In this story, Fabian, the cat escapes through the front door and has an adventure of his own. It is interesting to see Fabian in this way, because he is so out of his element. Just as McCarty does in the first one, his descriptions fit the characters so well, and make them very likeable animals. I would read this aloud to my class after the first book because they are so humorous and enjoyable that I am sure the class would love them. An activ ...more
Kira Dickson
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
copyright:2007
number of pages:Unknown
format:hardcover
reading level:
genre:baby book
lit requirement:baby book #3

summary:
This book goes into the day of Hondo the dog and Fabian the cat after Fabian escapes the house. It shows parallel to the animal's day.

response:
I love this book because one of the main characters is a cat. This is a cute little story that shows the day between two animals and what they did though out the day. I would recommend this book.
Christy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Caldecott Honor–winning Hondo and Fabian are back!
The award-winning cat and dog duo returns for another set of adventures. This time, Hondo stays home while Fabian goes outside. Seen from a cat-and-dog’s-eye view, an ordinary day is elevated to an exciting new level.

Peter McCarty’s simple text and signature lush watercolor-and-pencil illustrations make it clear that wherever these two furry friends go, mischief is sure to follow!

Fabian Escapes is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the
Barbara
Continuing the adventures of Fabian and Hondo, this book follows Fabian as he sets off on an adventure of his own. After all, why should his dog friend, Hondo, have all the fun and get to go on walks? Fabian leaps from the window, explores the garden, meets some neighbors, flies over a fence, and hides under the porch. Meanwhile, Hondo sniffs and snacks on a dish of butter and tolerates--barely--the baby's attempts to dress him up in frilly clothing. There is not a one of these illustrations, cr ...more
Asho
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked everything about this book. The illustrations are wonderful, so charming and soothing. I want to snuggle with Hondo and Fabian. Also, the pets are named Hondo and Fabian. How cool is that? The text is repetitive in a useful way. Everything Fabian does is paralleled by something that Hondo does. My 17 month-old really enjoyed this, and after we read it for real we spent quite a while flipping back to various pages so that he could point to the dogs and cats and I could label them and make ...more
Robert
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Hondo & Fabian Hondo the dog had an outdoor adventure while Fabian the cat stayed at home. Now it is Fabians turn to go outside. Done in the same style as the original, with the same delightful illustrations and text suitable for early readers. Done in pencil, on watercolor paper, these illustrations have a soft, luminous quality to them. Like the original, this is a delightful book with a friendly pair of pets in a happy home. I hope there will be a third installment.
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was pretty cute, but seemed a little uneventful. Fans of the first book would probably enjoy seeing more of the two friends, but I would have liked more adventure. It was a nice enough story, it just was more laid back than I had expected. Children who love dog and cat stories would probably like this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2012...
Cari Mcintyre
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fabian escapes is the follow-up book to the critically acclaimed "Hondo and Fabian" written by Peter McCarty. In this story, the roles of Hondo and Fabian are reversed. When the cat Fabian slips out of the house unnoticed, this time Hondo stays inside while Fabian has the great outdoor adventure. Peter McCarty's whimsical and soothing drawings are perfectly inline with the text and really adds to the story.
Guadalupe Ramirez
I was thrilled to have found a second book on "Fabian and Hondo," as I read Peter McCarty's first book on Fabian and Hondo to my kindergarten students to teach a lesson on similarities and comparisons between two pets, a cat and a dog. This book was as I expected. It focuses on friendship and comparisons.
Peggy
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recently-read
I bought this for my friend's four year old son, but I just had to read it before I sent it off to him. I love the illustrations - smooth, puffy, round shapes in subdued cool tones means that animals are rendered cute but not saccharine. The book is also nicely structured with parallel escapades of the dog that was shut in and the cat that was let out. Very charming!
Jo
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, dogs, cats
Hondo and Fabian are back! This time it's Fabian the cat who has an adventure outdoors, while Hondo stays inside. A simply written story about how the two animals spend their day. Adorable illustrations.
Meg
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, cats
Just re-read this volume about one of my favorite duos, Hondo and Fabian! Peter McCarty is HANDS DOWN one of my favorite children's illustrators. I just love the peacefulness of his drawings. In this book, Fabian (the cat) gets a well-deserved escape one afternoon, while Hondo is subject to the indoor life of a cat, for once. Charming.
Amy
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
The kids and I all loved the pictures in this story--they were just so... Cozy! The story was sweet and cute, and the kids just thoroughly enjoyed it. Would be a calm, soothing, wonderful bedtime story.
Samantha
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone!
this book is as good as the first (Hondo and Fabian). it's got amazing illustrations (soft and chubby family pets Hondo and Fabian just make ya go "awwww"!) and it's a cute and surprisingly action packed story. i might even like it better than the first!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book was patterned very much like the Caldecott honor winner Hondo and Fabian, in that the two part company and have separate adventures, and then reunite. The illustrations are cute, but the story is a bit bland.
Karen
Two friends have different styles and different adventures in this slight story which charms through expression and the unsaid. Hondo's patient but alarmed look when the baby dresses him in a tutu is priceless.
Tricia
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Admittedly this is my favorite author currently so of course I like this tale of a cat and dog on their separate yet parallel adventures, one at home and one outside.
Jodi Spillane
Love the illustrations.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
pretty pictures of a cat and a dog; McCarty's art has a dreamy quality to it
Kathy Ferrell
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, love-these
Wonderful! Cannot recommend highly enough! Sweet and gently funny!
Jenny
Nov 23, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: childrens-lit
We loved Hondo and Fabian, can't wait to read this one.
Christine
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 3+
Fabian the cat goes outside and has some adventures, while Hondo the dog stays inside and has adventures of his own. Beautifully ilustrated!
Jul 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Madeline, Destinee, Anna, Stella
Shelves: dogs, picture-books
Really cute illustrations,especially when Fabian meets the dogs next door.
Linda
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute story, love the illustrations.
Gail
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute. Easy to like if you have pets. Otherwise it might be boring to a child.
Karen
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Further adventures of the dog and cat duo of Hondo and Fabian. A good read-to-kids book right before bedtime.
Cass Mabbott
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Check out the scene where Hondo tries to steal the butter. Good times.
Crystal
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Uh oh, Fabian bein' naughty.

While still complete with adorable illustrations, not nearly as endearing as the first.

But look at those faces! Too Cute. Great early childhood book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Uncle Andy's Cats
  • Wag!
  • Ginger
  • Mutt Dog!
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • C. R. Mudgeon
  • The Dog Who Belonged to No One
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • Nini Lost and Found
  • Mouse Mess
I was born in 1966 in Westport, Connecticut right in the middle of two older brothers and two younger sisters. We kept our mother busy while my father worked long hours at IBM. Most of my childhood was spent in my head. I was usually recreating a battle from World War II or running from dinosaurs in prehistoric times. To this day, I develop characters and environments based on worlds I first creat ...more
More about Peter McCarty