Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By

Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #50)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  2,154 Ratings  ·  260 Reviews
For centuries the Maintainers have worked. With no help from other worlds, they subsist on the food they can grow and that's little enough. But their purpose, their whole life is to maintain the machines that will one day make their world as habitable as old Earth. Life used to be hard. Now as their crops fail, livestock sickens, and the temperature drops, it's becoming im ...more
Published September 29th 2011 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Dan Schwent
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, doctor-who, 2013
The TARDIS takes a wrong turn on the way to Leadworth to drop the Ponds off for Christmas and The Doctor, Amy, and Rory find themselves on a far flung colony world that is in the grips of the worst winter the world has ever seen. But what's causing the hellish weather? And what's killing the livestock? And can the Doctor and the Ponds get to the bottom of things before it's too late?

Of course they can! After all, he's The Doctor.

In the wake of the announcement of the actor playing the Twelfth Do
F.R.
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Doctor, Amy and Rory arrive in the midst of a post-technological society, facing a looming crisis.

For a long term fan, there's a lot of fun in 'The Silent Stars Go By'. We have a returning monster and countless references (some tongue in cheek) to past, classic Doctor Who, if Dan Abnett isn't a fan of Patrick Troughton then I'll give up the contents of my Tardis moneybox. The result is a cracking adventure with a fantastic twist.

There are other books – even Doctor Who spin off books - which
Conor McHugh
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very high four stars!

The story was epic in scope, with brilliant characterisation of the Doctor and company, so much so that it was easy to hear and imagine the actors saying the lines.

The characters beyond the trio were a bit bland mind you, but not enough to take too much depth away from the story.

And the story itself was epic in scope, much more so than I'd imagined it would be.

The finale, battle and revelations kept me hooked. From about 70% in I read the last of it in one helping with no
Mark
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Doctor Who
Recommended to Mark by: the tv series
Nothing better to get you in the mood than a festive orientated novel from the Doctor, Amy & Rory returning to a Christmas-ish or Christmasesque locale that turns out not to be Leadworth Christmas 2011. But who does expect such precision when travelling with the Doctor, while he might be willing the TARDIS always send them where they are needed. And while Rory gets a coat Amy & Doctor meet some folks that seem mighty upset with them.
Upon the return of Rory he finds himself stalked by a s
Kribu
Really really liked this one - without doubt the best Eleventh Doctor book I've read yet. Granted, there are several I've yet to read, but there was really very little to not like about this one for me.

I've not made a secret about not being happy with the last few years of Doctor Who on TV - I don't mind Matt Smith as Eleven, and Amy & Rory were always likeable enough, but I didn't care for the season arcs, or for the entire River plot, or, well, basically anything. I gave up mid-season six
Dan
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
This Doctor Who book for adults sees the Doctor, Amy and Rory arrive on a snowy planet which is being terraformed. But someone has gone missing and there are giants in the woods!

The aliens in this book are the Ice Warriors which have not been seen on TV for many a year. They are written wonderfully and appear just like they did on TV. The Doctor makes various references to his past adventures with them including mentioning some past companions. It’s a great nod back but as Amy is meeting the Ice
Logan LeDuc
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book came to me from a very reliable source - my boyfriend. It happens to be one of his all time favorite books and I was so surprised when he bought me a copy for Christmas! He's been begging me to read it on a daily basis, so I finally cracked it open and finished it within a day and a half.

This book was a typical adventure alongside the Doctor and the Ponds. It was exactly like an episode, but allowed for so much more detail to be included.

If you've never seen Doctor Who, it's a very Sci
Tom Jones
Nov 11, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF

I won't bother to put a rating on this book because I never got into it. I am a classic Doctor Who fan. I will be honest, I don't really care for the New Series. I began to loose interest during series 5 and ever since, I've always been hit and miss. I like the 12th doctor but his era and stories have been on the mixed side. The show needs to do some big changes, which it has because I think it's on the verge of dying and perhaps leading to cancellation.

Nobody can argue to the point that Doc
osoi
Отличная докторская книжка с участием Пондов. Пролог прослушала раз 5, мозги отказывались включаться в новый мир – но от последних глав уже не отлипала, а ревелейшн оказался необычайно трагичным и бесконечно грустным, так что даже трансформация врагов в мирных соседей прошла практически незамеченной. Я начала забывать, что Доктор – это не только детские решения проблем, это еще и потрясающие фантастические сюжеты в новой интерпретации. В данном случае – потрясающие И жестокие, несущие в себе дил ...more
Mal
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
O little town of bethlehem
How still we see thee lie
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by
Yet in the dark streets shineth
The everlasting Light
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee tonight

The Doctor and his two companions, the Williams Ponds, go searching for Christmas, toppling, instead, into a mess between the people of Hereafter and a load of strange, green behemoths. What has the Doctor gotten them into now?

This is the last in the 50th anniversary collection
Daniel Kukwa
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
I blazed through this in less than a day...and for good reason. It's the most amazing, exciting, unpretentious "Doctor Who" action-adventure I've read in some time. Featuring the superb return of a great monster, a well-worn traditional plot device that feels like an old friend, and spot-on characterization of the 11th Doctor, Amy & Rory. A wonderful, wintry, Christmas literary gift indeed.
William Breen
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Hard to review because I'm so familiar with the characters, enjoyed the book because of that. I knew what the characters looked like, how they acted, their backstory. Definitely recommended to fans of the show but uncertain of reception by the uninitiated.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during I ♥ ♥ The Doctor (October-December 2013)

The Doctor has promised to get Rory and Amy home to Leadworth for Christmas. Rory should know by now that, well, there's a strong chance this won't happen. The Doctor does find them a very Christmasy/Christmas-esque, planet. Meaning it's not the planet Earth, but an Earth like planet. At least there are humans though... humans that are scared. Getting quickly separated, The Doctor and
 ~Geektastic~
5/5 on the Who scale. A good choice as the "representative" Eleventh Doctor anniversary adventure. Dan Abnett is usually a good bet for Who stories, an opinion supported by this fun, adrenaline- pumping little jaunt into a post-Earth future.
Jason Beil
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Doctor Who for several years now. I've been aware of the good Doctor since early eighties, when, as an impressionable youth, I happened to catch a few Tom Baker repeats on PBS, but I never became a true fan until I happened to run across the entire season five (of the new series) on BBC America On Demand. These episodes starred Mat Smith as the eleventh Doctor, and I was immediately drawn in by his madcap energy and enthusiasm. This youthful madman of a Doctor was not quite ...more
See more reviews at The Best Books Ever!

In honor of the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, BBC Books has reissued/redesigned/reawesomed a series of eleven books -- one for, you guessed it, each Doctor. The Silent Stars Go By follows our current Doctor, Amy, and Rory, as they try to get back to Leadworth for Christmas. As usual, though, their TARDIS trip is more than a bit... off.

Instead of present day England, the trio winds up in the far, far, far future on a planet colonized by Morphans, people
Miles Reid-lobatto
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok

I enjoyed, it was Traditional Doctor Who by numbers. It has all the elements that Doctor Who has had over the years. Monsters, runnings, secrets, long lost Earth colonists. It could have come out of the Troughton era or the early Baker era, it's fun, great great fun, the characters are well written and the Doctor, Amy and Rory shine just as much on the page as they do on screen...

Unfortunatly, it's Traditional Doctor Who by numbers and I've got to be honest, I kinda wanted more to it then that.
Christopher Buchanan
It finally happened. I gave a New Series BBC book a five star rating. Truthfully, I probably would have gave it a 4 1/2 because some of the banter between the Doctor and Amy early in the story is kind of annoying, but let's face it, that's true of most of the 11th Doctor's run. And, it being a Christmas story anyway, what the hell, five stars.

This one appears to be leveled for young adults as this series usually is, but this one isn't annoyingly so. It's enjoyable for an adult, if an easy read.
Regan (regansreads)
Read if: you're a Doctor Who fan, esp. of Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor
Read when: it's snowy outside, and you're curled up by a window
Read while: you're feeling nostalgic, lighthearted, and adventurous
Read with: a hot bowl of soup at chp. 13

I've read a few of these Doctor Who novels now, and each time, they read like an adventurous episode of the series, something full of running from monsters, sonic screwdrivers, and trusty companions. I've learned that I can't go into them expecting any more or
Amber
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
After years of watching the TV show, I finally decided to pick up one of the Doctor Who books, and I absolutely loved it!

The plot moves a bit slower than a typical DW episode, prioritizing detail over action. Don't get me wrong - it's still very engrossing - but it takes the time to fully flesh out the world and characters in a way the TV show doesn't have time to do.

The world in which the story takes place, one of Earth's colony planets in the distant future, is very intricate, complete with a
Elizabeth Emily Browne
Okay yes, I admit it. I only bought this book because it has Matt Smiths face on the cover and he is my favourite Doctor. But I was still expecting to enjoy this.

How very wrong I was. It seemed like all the characters were dumbed down. I hated the fact that Amy came across as stupid and the complete opposite to how she really is. I think in future I'll be sticking to the program. I really didn't want Matt Smith to leave as doctor and his final episode had me in tears. I felt absolutely no emoti
Jack Iles
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely not what I expected. What began as a simple romp with Ice Warriors rapidly transformed into a tale of socialism in space! The story describes an agricultural people's existence on a hostile ice planet. However, despite the amount of hoes and trowels at their disposal, they were not prepared for an invasion of mighty lizard men. Now this all sounds a bit silly. But that is where Abnett made this a success. Unlike previous authors attempts' at writing Doctor Who, Abnettt p ...more
Justin
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This was probably the best Doctor Who book I've read featuring Eleven, the start of it is a little slow and it seems kind of ho-hum. But from the middle till the end it's pretty wild and there's some awesome surprises in there.

Basic break down goes like this:

Characterization is okay
The dialog seems too eager to imitate the show to the point that sometimes they come off looking more like caricatures. Rory, though, is pretty spot on.
The plot and the ideas presented in the book are the best part
William
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Including creatures from the show's past, several ingenious plot twists, a few enjoyable winks to time travel, and with writing that feels true to the established characters while adding its own freshness and originality, "The Silent Stars Go By" is a perfect novel for fans of Doctor Who.
Khara
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
Good story, lots of actionmp and a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.
This book is from the 50th anniversary collection. 11 stories 1 Doctor.
This books takes place as The Doctor Amy and Rory are trying to get home for Christmas.
Perfect for this time of year!
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthy episode that I would have enjoyed had I watched it. Exciting story, well plotted and characterisation spot on for the most part.
Erik
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Yep, that sure was a Doctor Who novel.
Nancy Badger
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any Doctor who enthusiest
Recommended to Nancy by: my son
Awesome! Loved the language twists and ancient earth humans, while Amy, Rory, and the Doctor get sucked inestto a big problem in a snow covered world.
Jacqueline O.
The Silent Stars Go By is part of the BBC Books New Who series of original tie-in novels. The story opens with Amy and Rory in the TARDIS with the Doctor. Amy demands the Doctor take her home for Christmas, and Rory backs her up. The TARDIS lands on a snowy world, that definitely isn't England on Earth. Outside for just a few minutes in the cold, Rory decides to go back to the TARDIS for his coat - and thus is separated from the Doctor and Amy for half the book, because when he comes back they a ...more
Robin
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice, easy read suitable for younger Doctor Who fans but with an interesting twist at the end which might well appeal to older admirers of the Time Lord. The adolescent language used by the characters was, in all fairness, quite reflective of the way dialogue was written in the Matt Smith era, but I did find it very grating nonetheless. I can sympathise with the War Doctor - when did everyone get so scared of talking or thinking like an adult?
That grump aside, I liked the atmosphere of the ru
  • Doctor Who: Beautiful Chaos
  • Doctor Who: Paradox Lost
  • Doctor Who: Only Human
  • Doctor Who: Last of the Gaderene
  • Doctor Who: Earthworld
  • Doctor Who: Remembrance of the Daleks (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who: Nuclear Time
  • Doctor Who: Dark Horizons
  • Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426
  • Doctor Who: Hunter's Moon
  • Doctor Who: Ghosts of India
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 66 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man
  • Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned
  • Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket
  • Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Rebuild your world, rebuild your race, rebuild your empire. Rebuild it all. But make sure you rebuild your ideals too. Rebuild the principles that made you a great and honorable galactic power in the first place. Don't prey on the weak. Don't steal from the helpless. Don't murder the innocent. Be a force for good, not a force for yourself.” 7 likes
“That’s what I love about people. They have dreams and grand ambitions, and they start building towards them, even though they know they won’t live to see them finished. That’s how the pyramids were built.” 5 likes