Start by marking “Sockeye Love” as Want to Read:
Sockeye Love

Sockeye Love

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Wildlife photographer Grey Morisette is living a half-life, quietly mourning his lover, Saya Khin, who disappeared twelve years earlier into the infamous Insein Prison in Rangoon.

Grey takes a picture of Sal Sanchez falling into an Alaska river with a sockeye salmon in his arms. Sal’s a law student, and his passion for the environment and love for the native tribes, his bea
Published May 18th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Sockeye Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sockeye Love

Vanessa North
A bittersweet story about finding new love after loss. Sarah Black's trademark style reads effortlessly. I enjoyed this one. :)
Kaje Harper
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, short-story
This is a simple, slightly quirky, poignant little story about a man opening up to a new love. Grey's past lover, Saya, disappeared into prison in Rangoon 12 years ago and hasn't been heard of since. But Grey still clings to hope, sending little letters, keeping alive a very tiny thread of possibility that Saya might still be alive, somewhere in there. Because Grey's the last person with any hope left, and when he gives it up, Saya will truly be gone. And what if he is still alive? Grey is stuck ...more
Lady*M
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I'm still waiting for Sarah Black to write a novel, because I long to read 200 pages written this beautifully.

The story is sad and heartbreaking, funny and beautiful. Reading about Grey writing to his dead lover made me cry, which isn't that uncommon when it comes to Ms. Black's stories. The young, naive environmentalists made me laugh. Sal was sweet and unspoiled - a balm for Grey's broken, cynical heart. The descriptions of nature were beautiful - another trait of this author's work.
Sadonna
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pdf, mm
This is the second story I've read by this author. I find that I really really like her style and the voices of her characters. They sound so authentic and real. This story is rather bittersweet because Grey continues to mourn his true love while possibly wondering if can really be moving on to a new love without betraying his love for Saya. The love letters to Saya as well as the selection of the Christmas gifts were very poignant. I thought both Sal and Grey were beautifully written and I am l ...more
Stacey Jo
This was a sad but sweet story about losing a love but gaining a new one. Before he can realize what he has in Sal, Grey has to learn that letting go of his old lover doesn't mean he has to forget him and that your heart is big enough to accept another, after time.
Simsala
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply beautiful! - Even with the "open ending".
Sad,real and full of love and hope...
thelastaerie
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually prefer to read full-length novel, part of it because well-written novellas are hard(er) to find, IMO.

And this is one excellent example of how good a novella can be when the writer gets it just right. Grey lost his lover 12 years ago in a Burma prison, disappeared and presumed dead. He carries on his career, writes letters and sends Xmas parcels to a lover who has probably died, has causal sexual encounters with men, so he doesn't have to face the hard truth - the decision to move on o
Sunne
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shortstory...and I'm really picky about shorts because most of the time they leave me dissatisfied. But this one is great. First, it still covers a longer timeperiod, of course with gaps but these are irrelevant. Second it absolutely wins through both MCs, on one hand Sal, so beautiful innocent, alive and open. And on the other hand Grey, cautious with his broken heart, without illusions. How these two slip into a relationsship is enjoyable to read, it has meaning, it's a bit bittersweet and sti ...more
Heather C
Umm, I'm not really sure what to say about this one. I guess it is mostly about protecting the environment and about letting go of old love to find new love. I never really felt what was really going on between Grey and Sal because every time I would get into the story, it would jump ahead a few months. Maybe, if this story was longer and wasn't missing huge chunks of the timeline and character development, I would have enjoyed it more.
Pendragonish
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bittersweet bite of loveliness.
Riayl
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, romance
It was really good...but(view spoiler) ...more
Ami

The level of typical 'loveliness' from Sarah Black in this novella is still present, especially when Grey is reminiscing about his lost (presumed dead) lover -- my gosh, this part is so angsty, I get my heart squeezed! -- AND when he is wondering whether he can actually fall in love with the much younger Sal ... and as characters go, I love both Grey and Sal. Sal amuses me the most, how he 'fights' for nature but actually hate being in the nature himself.

However, I think the fact that t
Anna
Somehow paired up this book and John Inman's Shy, I guess the covers made me put them together Shy by John Inman Sockeye Love by Sarah Black. In m mind I had decided that since I liked Shy I would also like Sockeye Love even though the stories are completely different. I did like this book...a lot. I liked the way time passed without us really knowing what happened during that time and usually I hate that but it did fit here.
Feliz
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, m-m
This was a beautiful short story. Grey was dry and pragmatic, but deep inside so broken. Sal is one of the most positive characters I've ever met. Wonderful nature descriptions.
Strewn about are little reminders of the seriousness of this book's topics; environment destruction, pollution, the consequences of a military dictatorship. Never predominant, always just enough to be impossible to overlook.
The love story is simple and sweet. I loved the rather open ending and the way the two don't comm
Chris
May 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2011, ebook
3.5 stars. Good m/m romance about a photographer who usually avoids attachments, but becomes involved with young law student he met while photographing salmon in Alaska. This is told as a series of scenes several months apart and, as a result, felt choppy, making it hard for me to connect with the characters.
Mtsnow13
A short little quick read.I wish we had the full backstory.. no real resolution, but an okay story. Kind of sad and meloncholy. Learned some interesting things about salmon,and tailings, and impacts on the environment.
Elena
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars because the abrupt ending left me wailing and tearing out my hair.
A wonderful story with an interesting setting that shows that love doesn't always come fast or easily.
Bookbee
Beautiful, sweet, sad, poignant...there are so many descriptors I could use for this gem of a short story but none of them would convey just how lovely this story is. I did not want it to end!
Kiki
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good, but has too much of an "unfinished" feeling to be really satisfying
Dee Wy
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, m-m-contemporary
5 full stars. I seem to love everything Sarah writes. Wonderful story with a thread of sadness that will touch your heart and leave you with a lot of promise for an HEA!
Johell
May 25, 2011
Anne Armitage
Sep 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Sarah Black writes contemporary and historical gay romance and mystery.

IRL, she is an artist and a single mom. She's a Navy veteran and likes to keep a tank full of gas in case she needs to roam. She likes to move around. Maybe it's a commitment thing.

She believes in the power of storytelling, and the power of craft to tell a story well.

comments about Sarah:

"She has a hard head and it has gotte
More about Sarah Black...