Start by marking “Supergirl Mixtapes” as Want to Read:
Supergirl Mixtapes

Supergirl Mixtapes

In Meagan Brothers's Supergirl Mixtapes, a music-obsessed girl travels to New York City to find herself.

After years of boredom in her rural South Carolina town, Maria is thrilled when her father finally allows her to visit her estranged artist mother in New York City. She's ready for adventure, and she soon finds herself immersed in a world of rock music and busy streets,
Published April 24th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Supergirl Mixtapes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supergirl Mixtapes

Start your review of Supergirl Mixtapes
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I read this book for a challenge in one of my groups. I loved the summary. I absolutely loved the cover with the tape on it, but unfortunately the book just wasn't for me.

I hope others out there enjoy it more than me and I did like it somewhat but it just mostly wasn't my thing.

I liked Maria and her grandmother and a friend that would send her mixed tapes. Oh, to be able to still make mixed tapes! A lot of the other stuff in the book was just okay.

Fin
Kate
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lori
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I first heard of Supergirl Mixtapes I knew that I had to read it as soon as possible. It takes place in the 90’s and there’s a lot of focus on music. Those are two elements that I adore in any book. So I was very excited. Then I started to hear some very mixed opinions about the book. I’ll admit that I kept moving it down on my TBR after that. Finally, I decided to give it a chance…and I kind of loved it.

I can see where some readers had issues with it, but I was pretty much hooked from page
ILoveBooks
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: will-trade
Maria has led a safe life so far. She doesn't know why her mother up and left when she was younger, but she knows she has a reliable, dependable dad. When she is finally allowed to live with her mother, Maria decides to use her newfound freedom to the fullest. With her mother there, but still acting a little odd and a little absent, Maria does not have any guidance. Her life with her mother is the majority of the story. Maria meets her mother's very young and very good-looking boyfriend as well ...more
MK ( Makayla)
This has to be one of the TRASHIEST book I've ever had the unpleasant experience of reading .
And that's putting it nicely .
I finally understand what y'all Mean when you say a book has no plot .
Was there a point to all the drugs , drowning in alcohol , and overall smutty trashiness ??? Nope apparently not ! I still don't get the point of it !
This book was a collage of musical references and absolute drama .
Spoilers .....

Maria moves to love with her estranged mother . Her mother moved
Victoria Nelson
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sally Kruger
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Maria was born in New York City but moved to South Carolina when she was two. Her artist mother headed back to NYC when Maria was four. Since then Maria has been surrounded by her father and her grandmother and their views of how awful her mother was.

After a rough breakup with Brian, Maria convinces her father she should move to NYC and get to know her mother. Her grandmother pulls some strings and invests considerable money to get Maria enrolled in a fancy private school, and Maria is on her
Jade Walker
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I decided to read this book i think that i was expecting something a little bit more fun and happy. Seriously, got it very wrong, Maria is one messed up teen and her life is also messed up. this isn't a happy musical book at all, it's grungy and grimy and whilst I did like it I may not have chosen to read it at the time that I did if I'd known that. There isn't a real plot to it, it's really just a story of Maria's self-discovery.

I really liked the characters in this book, Maria was very
Nicola
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
In Supergirl Mixtapes, we meet Maria, a young girl who has decided to move to New York City to be with her mother who she hasn't lived with for a long time. She was bored with her old town and was sure New York would bring great things to her life- even though her mother has never been very responsible and didn't help raise her. I was excited about starting this one. The cover with the cassette on it is very cute and gives off a fun vibe.

I have mixed feelings about this book, though. I liked a
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Supergirl Mixtapes is about 16 year old Maria and he want for something more. She lives in a small town in South Carolina with her dad but where she really wants to be is with her mom in New York City. Her dad reluctantly lets her go to visit her mom. Maria thinks she will find new and exciting adventures in NYC. Upon arrival she starts a new private school, travels the city, and learns all about the music scene. Maria soon finds out that NYC is not all that it is cracked up to be through other ...more
Jeff
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is another knock-out of a book by Meagan Brothers, following on the also terrific Debbie Harry Sings in French. Maria is younger here, and her life with her fun, troubled mother in 90's Manhattan is gorgeously, at times heart-breakingly, portrayed. Supergirl Mixtapes is a highly original coming of age story, one that is funny, tender, and very real. You can't skim it, and the writing is so good you don't want to. I highly recommend both of these truly outstanding, music-filled books.
Jamila
This novel is a quick read for folks interested in music, New York City or mother-daughter themes. Maria is a likable, independent young woman who tells a lot of lies while trying to find happiness living with her drug-addicted mother. Author Meagan Brothers gives lots of love to pre-Giuliani New York, the downtown punk scene, vinyl and Patti Smith.
Aspen Riley
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
great book five stars :)
Cindy Luc
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it is amazing Meagan show how most teen feel when they haven't see their mom or dad in a while i can relate sort of but i understand what she is saying i can't wait for a sequel yay
Tammy Cordeiro (devadasi7)
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was an incredible ride! It left me breathless.

Check out my full review at Into the Mystic
Elizabeth Eslami
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
She puts her heart on every single page. Meagan Brothers is a hell of a fine writer.
Rachael
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Maria can’t wait to escape from her small southern hometown. Things have been going downhill for a while, and Maria is starting to feel like everyone she could count on is going away. She feels like she needs to get out of there too, so her father’s permission to visit her estranged mother in New York City is a blessing. And so what if the big city is a little scary and maybe a little too much for Maria to handle on her own? She would gladly brave the subways ad busy streets in order to see her ...more
Princess Bookie
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2011
My Thoughts: Honestly, I wanted to love Supergirl Mixtapes. The cover alone suggests it would be unique. The plot sounds like it would be awesome. And its sprinkled with music, big win.

We are introduced to Maria who lives with her father in a small southern town. Her mother has never really been around. Until now. She goes off to New York to live with her mother for a while.

While in New York, Maria is trying to navigate the streets while trying to figure out where exactly she belongs. Back in
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star, cover-lust
From my blog Auntie Spinelli Reads

I gave this book 2 stars (it was ok) even though it wasn't ok for me because I didn't really like it at all. But there wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with it except for the simple fact that it just wasn't for me. There was pretty much nothing happening for the first 3/4 of the book except a bunch of music jargon - all stuff about bands/singers I either a) don't like, b) don't give an ass rat's about, or c) have never even heard of. So all the talk about
Bob
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Meagan's books are a learning experience for me, as I'm quite a ways from being a young teen, and my young generation was a good 30 years prior to hers. However, there's a commonality to every generation, in that teen years are a confusing, frequently rough and tumble learning ground, and some of those biggest struggles are with your own sense of self.
That being said, it's a pleasure to dive into her words and discover that which is both familiar (in feelings) and alien (fashion, music and art
Jacinda
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012
This one just wasn’t for me I think. I couldn’t connect with the characters or the story itself. I did enjoy the era the book was set in around 1995 (or maybe a bit later) and also the setting, New York. Like I always say, I like reading books before cell phones and all of this technology came along.

I kept reading because I was curious and I was waiting for a couple of secrets to be revealed. I ended up finishing the book feeling unfulfilled…I didn’t like the ending. I was kind of upset since
Jen
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, high-school, 2012
Debbie Harry Sings in French is one of my favorite teen books and the author does a great job following that up with Supergirl Mixtapes, a story about Maria, a girl who goes off to NYC to live with her mother whom she hasn't seen in years. What I most adore about this book is that it takes place in the 90s, when I was a teen, so I got to relive some of my teen agnst through it. I'm a bit weirded out that this, technically, could be considered historical fiction. I do realize that the 80s just ...more
Stephanie A.
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A deeper and more nuanced novel than I expected from the cutesy cover. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't this: a nostalgic look at New York in the nineties, an older soundtrack, an isolated teen with a self-injury-branded-as-suicide-attempt past that doesn't really have an impact on her present state of mind, a long overdue reunion with a mother who acts like a teenager but who isn't a villain, and said mother's 22-year-old boyfriend, which is exactly as much ...more
Lia
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-ya
Meagan Brothers' newest YA title will not disappoint. Maria leaves her father to go live with her mother in NYC. As if the transition from South Carolina to New York is not enough, she realizes that life with her free spirit mother is one of enormous ups and downs. Struggling to get her own life together, armed with warnings of family and friends, Maria learns that her mother's drug problem is one that just might not ever turn around. A realistic read that is not didactic and will speak to teens ...more
Lucky
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a great follow up to Debby Harry Sings in French, which I loved. Supergirl Mixtapes is a quick read; but, don't let that fool you. It has all the good stuff: some angst, misplaced affection, adventure, divorced parents, mental illness and music! The music threaded effortlessly throughout the novel keeps the pace moving. The author sets the scene perfectly. After reading this book, you are a lot closer to living through the 90s in New York City.
Lauren
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed every minute of Brothers' second novel! Not only was it a love letter to New York city, it's an interesting look at the music scene in the 90's. Maria is a strong and likable main character, level-headed and a little insecure at the same time, and infinitely relatable. I will definitely be recommending "Supergirl Mixtapes" to teens and adults!
Rebecca McNutt
This book was very similar to Placid Girl, but lacking in depth. Supergirl Mixtapes had a lot to offer about rock music but that was all it was. There was no subplot, nothing remarkable or special about it.
Mrs. Nelson's
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
--Review by Lauren
Mara
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book (and loved the cover), particularly because I was a college student in the 1990s and am familiar with the bands mentioned. I liked the main character and her journey, although the ending felt strangely abrupt.
Jean
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good story, kept me reading. I liked all the music woven throughout the story--the songs, the groups, the instruments, the tapes. What's with all the bad mothers lately?
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Me
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
  • The Never-Ending Present
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Wilder Girls
  • Time Windows
  • The Tattoo Chronicles
  • The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical
  • The Rant Zone: An All-Out Blitz Against Soul-Sucking Jobs, Twisted Child Stars, Holistic Loons, and People Who Eat Their Dogs!
  • High Voltage Tattoo
  • As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
  • The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
  • S.T.A.G.S
  • The Immortal
  • See You Later
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)
  • The Wicked Heart
Meagan Brothers is the author of three novels for young adults, Debbie Harry Sings in French, Supergirl Mixtapes, and Weird Girl and What's His Name. She has also been, variously, a musician, a performing poet, a record store clerk, and an adjunct professor of creative writing at Manhattanville College in Purchase, NY. A native Carolinian, she currently lives and works in New York City.