Start by marking “In Medias Res: Poems” as Want to Read:
In Medias Res: Poems

In Medias Res: Poems

“Lee’s strange and gemological arrangements are the measure of her gift. . . .”—from the Foreword by Heather McHughIn the form of an eccentric dictionary, this debut brings to mind the long poems of Anne Carson. In compressed and oddly slanted “definitions,” Lee’s poems move through the alphabet in an attempt to limn the border between language and spirit. In Medias Res is an ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Sarabande Books

To ask other readers questions about In Medias Res, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Medias Res

Start your review of In Medias Res: Poems
Dawn
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I am usually not in the Saraband camp, but I bought this in NY last year because something calmed me about the layout - little pieces of things alphabetized like a dictionary. And it was rather calming. A one-sitting kind of read with a penchant for words pertaining to ornamental interior design, furniture and jewels/gemstones. I did learn some good words. The structure (a sort of dictionary) reminded me of something I wish my friend Misty would write (we'll see, we'll see). But the big thing ab ...more
Lauren Short
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sarabande
I wish I could give this 3.5 stars. There are lots of good things--images that carry throughout, the nautical feel of what appears like a beautifully written dictionary. BUT. Some of the poems are short, which is fine, but they don't pack the punch of something like Hemingway's "Baby Shoes." Some of the "definition" poems distracted me from some of the repeated imagery like the folded paper plane, curious children, and the seaside scent of salt.
Paul
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Strange things are happening and unfolding as "the rose of the world" in Karen An-hwei Lee's lost and found poems. "These words are translated as life" act as intercessory prayers for shattered and tired readers and writers. There is "unseen wealth" to be discovered and mined in In Medias Res' intertextuality and intelligence. Write on, KAL!
Jonathan
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Karen An-hwei Lee's poetry. I have published her work before in Iodine Poetry Journal, and ran across this title a few years back. Wonderful work!
Kathryn
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I'm usually all of experimental poetry, but I couldn't connect with this one. Maybe it was the format or all the found poetry or the vocabulary or the topics, but it just tried too hard for my taste.
Eileen