Start by marking “Agatha Christie: Murder in the Making: More Stories and Secrets from Agatha Christie's Notebooks” as Want to Read:

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  579 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In this follow-up volume to the award-winning 'Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks', Christie archivist and expert John Curran leads the reader through the six decades of Agatha's writing career, unearthing some remarkable clues to her success and a number of never-before-published excerpts and stories from her archives.

Starting his investigation in the 1920s, John Curran e
Published November 22nd 2011 by Harper (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Christie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Christie

Gerry
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading John Curran's absorbing study of Agatha Christie's archives is akin to reading a detective novel as plots are outlined, discussed, amended and re-written all before the finished novel appears on the bookstands.

The book is a fascinating study into how Agatha Christie worked and thought and includes a couple of never before published items, a short story entitled 'The Man Who Knew' and a slightly longer story that has Miss Marple as the central character, 'The Case of the Caretaker's Wife'
Morgiana
Feb 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, crime
I couldn't like this book.
I am a big fan of the Queen of the Crime...but this book was so dry as the desert sand and more boring. I had some expectations about this book as I learned it will handle the the author's secret records, so I thought it will give me news about the life, thoughts, writings of the author, but miserably failed.
Always thought while reading: Am I reading someone's shopping list???
Definitely not recommended.
Ana Paula Lelis
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I love her books and it was great to understand how she used to create the stories. And you can read a short story never publishied before and belive me that's worthy. If you are a fan I definetely recommend this.
Penny Landon
I bought this book after I enjoyed John Curran's first book on Agatha Christie and I am neither disappointed nor completely satisfied. I expected it to be just like the first book with a little more insight into Agatha Christie herself and her writing style. By the time I finished this book, I was riding on a tidal wave of boredom and the ending of the book was abrupt. I would have liked some final thoughts from the author himself or more from David Suchet. Instead the author decided to end the ...more
Margaret
Murder in the Making roughly follows the format of Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks, where John Curran's analysis is interspersed with his transcriptions of Christie's notebooks. Christie was a constant notebook keeper but not so good at keeping all the notes chronologically. There are solutions to some of the novels revealed in the discussions of her methods, so only a well-read Christie fan or someone who doesn't mind spoilers would find this particularly interesting. However, there is a gre ...more
Cathy Ace
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have finally managed to finish both this book and its "companion piece" by the same author, "Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks".

Mr Curran's enthusiasm for, and love of, Christie's work shines through in this well-researched book, that gives some insight into how the wonderful wordsmith wove her stories.

Anyone who enjoys Christie's works, and has already read a good many of them, will enjoy this...though you should expect it to be a view of her writing and process that still leaves questions
Hannah
Rating Clarification: 2.5 Stars

Very dry and repetitive in places. Not recommended for the casual Christie fan.
Roberta
I've read and enjoyed all of Agatha Christie's books and John Curran obviously worships the ground that Agatha Christie walked on but what little I read of this book was just too boring.

Jessica
Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect example of why writers notebooks should never be published.
They only make sense to the writer themselves and quite frankly, I find it almost bordering on breach of privacy.
Irwan
This is a detailed dissection of Christie's authorship by means of her collection of notebooks. I don't claim readership to her work, although I enjoyed Hercule Poirot by means of dramatized tv series, made alive by the excellent acting of David Suchet.

What I wanted and liked from this book is a glimpse of creative process that endures such a wide and long readership. Detective novels genre, I think, require plotting. It is so inspiring to see through the handwritten sketches when Christie's plo
Heather Kelly
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not enough of a well-read Christie fan to appreciate this book so I can't blame the author or content for my timing at all! I've only read a handful of her books, one of which is an all-time favorite for me, but it wasn't enough for me to really enjoy this particular read. Plus, I was afraid to read all of the discussions provided on many of her novels since I haven't read them yet. I do have them on the list though! I wish more was mentioned regarding my favorite...And Then There Were None. ...more
Annina
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed the first book about Christie's notebooks too and gave it one more star than this one. I suppose that I would have enjoyed this quite as much if this was the first one I read. But this doesn't really do anything new, but just gives more of the same kind of information as the previous book. It gets a little repetitive in the end. It was still interesting, but maybe I would have wished for something new by now. Some new form of presenting the information at least or something. I would r ...more
Vinitra
This book was neither completely boring nor endlessly fascinating - it was a neat look into the ways in which Agatha Christie came up with the ideas for her novels (and for someone like me, who's read every book she's written, that was super interesting) but I did wish there was a bit more tying together of all the things the author found in her notebooks rather than just a disjointed "and then here's something else I found" type of presentation. There was a lot of information on how certain nov ...more
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Why read: Received for review from publisher

What impressed me: The highlight of the book for me was the plot ideas that Christie came up with, yet never used in her books. That's what made the book interesting and worth the read.

What disappointed me: So very dry. And obviously full of spoilers for any Christie novel I haven't read yet. Lists upon lists upon lists of characters with little variation. Vaguely interesting, but the repetitive nature of the book gets old quickly.

Recommended: Only for
Ryan
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this more than I did. At first, it seemed like a great idea. There were insights into some of the earlier Christie books and I felt compelled to re-read a number of them (which is never a bad thing). I liked the discussion of the detective story, the 'rules' of that genre, and how Christie 'broke' (or re-wrote) them.

Then, it became more of a notebook summary, with periodic transcriptions of entire sections - and those transcription inclusions felt like a way to pad the book rath
Michael Brown
Notes, brief outlines and descriptive passages, whole scenes and miscellaneous plot ideas are reported in book two of the notebooks that Agatha Christie kept for her whole life. Some of these thoughts were early ideas and many were changed for the final story or not used at all. That is one of the most interesting aspects of this volume. We can watch how some ideas grew into the final book and others never left the note stage.
Sophie Clifford
While it was interesting to look into Agatha Christie and how she wrote and 'organised' herself, this book veered into boredom sometimes and the introductions to each story or section was a little disjointed and repetitive.
However, there were some bits that were very interesting and I enjoyed the Miss Marple story. It took me a while to read, I think it's more of a book that you can read a little bit of, the info on one or two of her novels/plays and then leave and come back to when you fancy.
Karen
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rushed out to buy this book, because I rush out to buy anything related to Agatha Christie. However, it is exactly the same as Secret Notebooks, and as confusingly arranged. It gets 4 stars because it's about Agatha Christie, and I believe in supporting her writing process and all commentary related to it.
Tracy
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book full of fascinating information culled from the secret notebooks of legendary author Agatha Christie. It's a book that is something that should be dipped into rather than devoured in one sitting. A great book for the true Christie lover.
Susan
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting analysis of Agatha Christie's notes, showing how she developed and even re-used plot ideas for books. There are a lot of potential spoilers so this book might be best for the aficionado who has already read all her books.
Lesley
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Josephine Pennicott
One for fans of both Agatha or the mystery writing process. A really fascinating look at how Agatha worked as far as plot-lines goes. One of the surprises to me is how much she would toy with what detective to use for different books. Can't wait to read John Curran's earlier book on Agatha now.
Amanda
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very in depth exploration of how Christie wrote her books, insight into how she thought and why she wrote the way she did...made me want to go back and reread every book. Good organization, and thoughtful writing.
Deborah Adams
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed getting a peek inside the mind of Agatha Christie! My full review of this title is posted at Curled Up With a Good Book, http://www.curledup.com/agatha_christ...
Louise Armstrong
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fully detailed account of a writer's notebooks! Admirable work on Curran's part. I soon started skimming though, because, as the author himself says at the end, the notebooks don't tell us where the genius came from.

Patricia Gulley
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How Agatha went about writing her books. Interesting. So many things a lot of writers do.
Gwen
I didn't actually finish this book, nor am I currently reading it. I plan on picking it up at a later time.
GP Field

Good for Christie fans but I think just re- typing her notes over and over got boring.
Lorena
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy interesante. Si bien leí muchos libros de Christie, había varias cosas que desconocía, como la cantidad de obras de teatro y el libro de poemas.
Rhonda Hankins
if you're an agatha christie fan already, this is good fun. if you're not an agatha christie fan already, skip it.
  • The Grand Tour: Letters and Photographs from the British Empire Expedition 1922
  • Agatha Christie
  • On Conan Doyle
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?: The Mystery Behind the Agatha Christie Mystery
  • Love and Capital: Karl and Jenny Marx and the Birth of a Revolution
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest to Uncover the Books that Time Forgot
  • Agatha Christie at Home
  • Karaoke Culture
  • A Daughter's a Daughter
  • It Calls You Back: An Odyssey through Love, Addiction, Revolutions, and Healing
  • The Murder on the Links (Agatha Christie Comic Strip)
  • Dante in Love
  • South with the Sun: Roald Amundsen, His Polar Explorations, and the Quest for Discovery
  • Bloody Murder: From the Detective Story to the Crime Novel