Start by marking “The Foxes of Firstdark ” as Want to Read:
The Foxes of Firstdark

The Foxes of Firstdark

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  362 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
A story of foxes, from O-ha and her six unborn cubs in Trinity Wood to Camio, an American Red Fox far away in his zoo cage. The animals in Trinity Wood feel safe from predators, but their world is changing, humans are coming closer with their bulldozers, houses, their guns and their dogs.
Published April 1st 1990 by Doubleday (first published 1989)

Fennec
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I sure hope I can do justice to this.

Hunter's Moon is an allegory of emotion biting, realistic proportions. This is animal fiction at it's prime; adult, realistic and competent. Garry Kilworth absolutely nails personification here. Unlike a portion of animal related books, these animals are written completely with the attributes you understand them as having in the real world. They barely break any rules, everything is believable. Though that specific set of rules is given "voice", it's gi
Lissa
I was born and raised in the only place in the world where foxes do not live besides Antarctica (Tasmania, Australia), and as such, I find foxes extremely exotic and fascinating. They have been my favourite animal for as long as I can remember.
I cannot rave enough about this book. It's a talking animals book, sure, but for adults. It follows the life of rural vixen O-ha as her home is slowly taken over by a developing town. There's a viscous enemy bent on taking her down and making her life mise
Chris
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watership Down with foxes.
Claire R Kerry
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I can't remember reading any other book quite like this. And before you throw Watership Down or The Sight of Firebringer in my face, remember that those stories had either a quest narrative, fantastical elements or both.

This book simply follows the life of this fox, her mates, her children and is fascinating from start to finish. the culture Kilworth creates, not just for foxes but for other animals as well, is stunning in how well-thought out it is.

I don't re-read this often, it's a hefty one
Marc
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fox, animals
I discovered that this book existed a few years ago, but only recently finally got my hands on it. Having read very positive reviews, and foxes being one, if not the, my favorite animals, I could only hope it was as good as I expected.

It was more than that: it was fantastic, one of the best books I've ever read.
The whole plot, the characters, their actions and emotions, even the mystic background stuff which I tend to dislike, everything was just right and made perfect sense.
When a character is
Heissen
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, without a doubt, the best book that I have read in my entire life thus far. It perfectly blends tragedy and triumph, loss and love, and is incredibly colorful and descriptive. The characters are superbly fleshed out and the book manages to emotionally attach the reader to the book. I felt love for the protagonists and intense hatred towards the antagonists on levels previously undreamed of. It contains a rich mythology and the dialogue is fantastic.

This book has made we weep intensely a
Serewyn
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I Read this when I was very young and even though the deeper meaning slipped by me, it has always stayed with me. 20+ years later I was lucky to find a second hand copy and read it once again. I still love it, and it moved me even more deeply. Thank you Mr. Kilworth for this wonderful story of foxes. I am so thankful to have a hardcover copy on my bookshelf.
Rebecca McNutt
This book was very interesting, a story of nature and man's influence on it, and a story about change affecting the world.
Saturday's Child
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is all about the Foxes!
Stephanie A.
That was pretty powerful. To be honest, it was so graphic and stark at the beginning that I wasn't sure I would give it more than a 3, especially with all the fox religion/myth/lore, which had a flavoring of fantasy that is usually what drives me away from books. However, I was promised this was mostly a realistic novel, and I quickly found that to be true.

It's actually kind of a unique book, very much for adults and not like the scads of old wildlife novels I've downed that were intended for a
Rena Sherwood
Cute concept -- a fox version of Watership Down. However, many plot points spiral off into nowhere. What was the point of the whole white fox thing? No point at all! I read the book in the UK back about 2003 or whenever the wars about foxhunting made the abortion controversy a high school hair-pulling in comparison. So I wonder if the good reviews this book received was more because of its views on foxhunting than on the story presented.

Incredibly grim book with a bleak final sentence that I sti
Lee
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when i was a kid; Twice actually. It was the perfect reason why you should never read Readers Digest abridged versions of books. My Mom had a bunch of hardbacks with four abridged novels in each and the idea intrigued me. After finishing i wanted the real thing. Remember those book clubs on the back of magazines where you could, on your first order, have up to six books for a penny each, then you had to atleast buy six books at full price in your first year; no, am i showing my age. ...more
Hayley (allaboutthebooks)
This book is a hidden gem. A must-read for fans of Watership Down. It’s not as ambitiously epic in scope as that book about some bunnies, but is more personal and intimate. It is the story of a young Vixen named O-ha, her mates, her kits, and one crazed ridgeback hound that wants them all dead. The animosity between the fox and the hound is deeply personal, it’s passion spanning years. The characters and the world were interesting. All of the side plots with the kits were engaging and added to t ...more
Anna
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
'Watership Down' with foxes - that the first thing that springs to my mind. But while 'Watership Down' was focused on rabbits only, with Kehaar as an exception, 'Hunter's Moon' has POVs of different animal species - dogs,badgers, otters, even geese, though the story is focused on foxes.

The story itself is wonderfull and beautifully written. It tells us a lifestory of a vixen named O-ha and her family. Even though O-ha has to face a lot of difficulties, death of her loved ones and hatered of a mu
Leila
This book has been on my shelves for a few years and this is my fifth time of reading. Garry's novel begins with a vixen named O-ha awaiting her very first litter of cubs and her mate. There is a badger named Gar, a lead hound named Breaker and a big vicious dog named Sabre - a ridgeback. At the same time there is Camio an American Red fox caged and longing for his freedom. The same moon (Hunter's Moon) shines down upon them all. If you are a lover of animal stories you will enjoy this wonderful ...more
Ionatan O'gallaher
For a quite a few years this book was my "holy grail" of sorts. I can'e really remember how I had heard about it, but I knew that I had to read it. I was finally able to track down a copy and was not disappointed. I jokingly refer to this as "The Greatest Book That You've Never Read" because it is a rather obscure title. The story that Kilworth creates is both triumphant and tragic. It does not have a terribly happy ending, but that is the way of life in the animal kingdom. Creating a distinct c ...more
Joshua
Jan 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how to describe this book. It's definetly not a kids book like 'House of Tribes' and I found it a very hard read. In fact I had to force myself to continue reading it, however it's also quite a good story.

Its very depressing but there's something about it which leaves you feeling fairly satisfied by the end, I'm not sure what it was. It's like a Shakespearian tragedy about Foxes.

Hard to recommend, but I wouldn't call it bad.
Rachel
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I must love everything about this book. The realism, the facts, the story, the fantasy... everything. It has a bittersweet ending full of both hope and despair that makes me wish for more at the same time as being ultimately satisfied. Overall, it's a very wonderful book, and I'm so glad that after all this time of waiting to read it-- the first thing I added as "to-read" on Goodreads three years ago-- I've finally been able to. I love it.
Heidi Vlach
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recently remembered that I read this book as a teenager, and I tracked down a copy for a fox-loving friend of mine. Can't say I remember every detail of the story, but I recall finding O-Ha's life an interesting one. These foxes have their own social customs and moral quandaries, and their unusual names are a distinct part of their identities. Always something I like to see in an "animal story".
Anna
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
Прекрасная книга о прекрасных созданиях, позволяющая взглянуть на мир глазами лис. Взглянуть на их потери и трудности, радости и приобретения, взаимоотношения с людьми и другими животными и на столь быстро и неожиданно меняющуюся жизнь вокруг них. Добрая, светлая, но в то же время тяжелая и жестокая книга, которая действительно может довести до слез, как радости, так и горя. А ведь это лишь история одной лисицы по имени О-Ха...
Renee Hall
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reminiscent of Watership Down, in all the best ways, and yet the personal, intimate nature of the story keeps it from feeling derivative. Engrossing, lovely, rich, and entertaining. I was truly sorry when this was over.
Rebekah Rivera
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember randomly picking this book up at my local library, and reading it all the way through within a few hours. It was one of the best books I've read, and I love how the characters are foxes :)) I'm just upset that the library no longer has a copy of the book... I need to get a copy :)
Linds
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Story is told from the point of view of a fox and follows her life throughout a fox-hunt, development in the area, birth and encouters with humans. I found the descriptions of the foxes mythology and society very interesting, however the dialouge did drag a bit in parts.
Jamie
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I HAVE READ THIS BOOK WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I SWEAR THIS IS IT. I adore this book and I really want to reread it.
Tanya
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't as good as I remembered the second time around, I first read it as a teenager. Very disappointed.
Judith Ring
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the first couple of chapters, and despite its good reviews, I found it rather dull, it just didn't hold my interest.
Daisy
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
soo good. if you love foxes or even just (somewhat anthropomorphised) animals you have to read this.
Lorna
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different...bloody good. Fantastic idea, very well written and it gets you all emotional about foxes.
Hugh Reddox
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
puts you in place as a fox,exciting wildlife trilogy,live as a fox,be a fox.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
A very interesting story all written from the point of view of Foxes!
  • The Wild Road (The Wild Road, #1)
  • Journeys to the Heartland (The Wolves of Time, #1)
  • Run With the Wind (Run Wild #1)
  • Raven Quest
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • The Cold Moons
  • Scream of the White Bears
  • The Mob
  • The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West (Heavenly Horse, #1)
  • The Prince Who Fell from the Sky
  • Nightshade City (Nightshade Chronicles, #1)
  • Vulpes the Red Fox
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Ratha's Creature (The Named, #1)
  • Silverhair (Mammoth, #1)
  • The Plague Dogs
  • The Tygrine Cat
Garry Douglas Kilworth is a historical novelist who also published sci-fi, fantasy, and juvenile fiction.

Kilworth is a graduate of King's College London. He was previously a science fiction author, having published one hundred twenty short stories and seventy novels.
More about Garry Douglas Kilworth...

“Man is not satisfied with just being man. He wants to be everything, all creatures, and still remain himself. Man has unfathomable depths to his goodness and his evil, his intelligence and his ignorance--he is a dark region of wells and wishes to drink at them all.'-- O-kolkol” 12 likes
“Importance of dreams is not in using - importance is in having. You think dreams must mean something real, that fantasy bad for the soul. All wrong, all wrong. Fantasy just as important as reality. Reality is feeding body - finding food for keep alive. Fantasy feeds spirit. Soul need food same as body, and dreams, philosophies, stories, creations, all food for spirit, see?” 3 likes