Start by marking “The Tao of Pooh” as Want to Read:

The Tao of Pooh

(The Way, With The Enchanted Neighborhood)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  87,342 ratings  ·  3,656 reviews
"Thought-provoking and charming."-- "Library Journal" Not all Great Masters of Wisdom are venerable graybeards. One is as familiar to us as that beloved teddy bear Winnie the Pooh. From the "how" of Pooh to the Tao of Pooh is a simple, effortless, joyous step...a delicious journey to Pooh Corner illuminated by the timeless teachings of the Taoist immortals.
Published July 28th 1983 by Penguin Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Tao of Pooh, please sign up.
Aisha Moore-hughes I would the Tao of Pooh of the two books. Both books were life changing but the Tao of Pooh was given to me after mom died. I didn't read it then and…moreI would the Tao of Pooh of the two books. Both books were life changing but the Tao of Pooh was given to me after mom died. I didn't read it then and I wished I had. It helped me see who I wanted to be going forward. (less)

·  87,342 ratings  ·  3,656 reviews

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*
“Hello there! Aren’t you Winnie the Pooh? I’m a big fan.”

“Yes I am. How do you know me?” Asked Pooh.

“There have been many books written about you and your friends. The most recent one is about how you are a western Taoist.”

“Oh.”

“A western what?”

“Taoist” I said, “it’s very hard to explain, I’m no expert. In fact the whole book was about the author trying to explain it to you, and you would say “oh.”

“Oh.” Said Pooh.

“From what I understand you are an un-carved block.”

“Oh” said Pooh.

“An un-carved wh
Joe
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book because it seemed so charming. The author took the stories and characters of A.A. Milne and juxtaposed them with the Taoist teachings of people such as Lao Tzu.

Pooh as western Taoist starts off interestingly enough but halfway through it I came to the realization that it was making me want to just read the actual Milne, who was frankly probably a genius writer. Those were great books with great characters, each with their own type of intelligence.

Then about two thirds thr
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Very cute, but I think this dragged on a little at times. It wasn't very memorable, and had it been so I think this would have made more of an impact on me.
Lyn
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Part of this rating is my fault.

I don’t know what I expected exactly, choosing a book that helps to explain Taoism through Winnie the Pooh (and explaining Winnie the Pooh through Taoism) but this was not what I wanted.

Benjamin Hoff has striven to explain Eastern philosophy in Western terms by using as a working allegory the beloved characters developed by A.A. Milne. By including Pooh and his friends while he wrote the book and having an ongoing dialogue with the residents of The Hundred Acre Wo
Jon

2. 2 cups of Winnie the Pooh
3. 3/4 quart of wisdom
4. 3 Handfuls of fabulous drawings by Ernest Shepard
5. The key to Happiness
Mix them all together and you have the Tao of Pooh.

The Tao of Pooh is a book that I loved whole heartily. Basically as the title suggest it's a allegorical interpetation of A.A. Milne's characters in the world of Daoism or Taoism. Inside this slender novel you will find some o
Ben Babcock
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was a Friday; I wasn’t working, I’m a little behind on my read count, so I took this off the stack. It looked short and light enough to finish in an afternoon. This need to achieve things rather than “living in the moment” of simply existing and enjoying the book goes against the principles of Taoism, of course. But I never claimed to be Pooh Bear.

The Tao of Pooh is a short book written before I was born that purports to elucidate certain concepts related to Taoism through the characters and
Naomi
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like bears and ancient eastern philosophy
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read, kept me entertained, and I feel like I actually grasped the general concepts of Taoism. That was accomplishing a lot because sometimes my borderline ADD brain can't focus on religion and philosophy books. It's not like I don't want to know. I do want to know. But it can't be helped what my brain does and does not respond to. Winnie the Pooh and funniness are two things my brain inevitably responds to. So intertwining those things with philosophy i ...more
Clint
Aug 30, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to say about this book that won't offend someone. It's like those Simpsons philosphy books, of something some modern professor tries to write to appear both profound and eccentric, living up to that professor image. Oh god books like this make me want to kill myself out of the shame I feel at being from the same planet as these people.
[Shai] Bibliophage
This is my first time to read a book about Taoism and I thought that teachings in Buddhism have similarities with Taoism. I don't know if it's because of how the author writes or it is just that Buddhism and Taoism are different after all.

The author attempts to interpret Taoism teachings by using fable but I think it's not that effective because it just made some confusion in some parts. Hoff tried to explain Taoism in what he thought is the most coherent way he knows but it just complicates his
Odette Knappers
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
What a briljant little book full of life lessons and a course to a happy way of viewing life. Lovely in it's simplicity about such a complex subject as overal happiness. In my top 3 of all-time favorite books!
Bosh
Feb 21, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What should be a charming and thoughtful analysis of Pooh Bear through a Taoist lens ends up being a rambling polemic by a bitter man who obviously has a ways to go before he achieves inner peace. While he does use Pooh and company as a jumping off point, Hoff ends up spending much of the book railing against business people, lawyers, academics, and everyone else he deems a "Busy Backson". Even scientists are Busy Backsons, because their discoveries only lead to more questions. Hoff's ideal is a ...more
BAM The Bibliomaniac
This is the second listen in about as many months. This may be my new go-to in stressful situations.

In fact I think every employee should be issued a copy asap

I'm also going to listen to this more often to remind myself to stop looking for happiness in new clothes, and hand cream, and lip gloss, and scarves, oh, and shoes 👠. Because I obviously find waayyyy too much happiness in those things.
Riku Sayuj
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful book! Must read for anyone interested in Taoism or even in plain simple living.
Bonnie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A copy of The Tao of Pooh was provided to me by Tantor Media for review purposes.

"...the basic Taoism that we are concerned with here is simply a particular way of appreciating, learning from, and working with whatever happens in everyday life. From the Taoist point of view, the natural result of this harmonious way of living is happiness."

There are some things that I've accepted that my brain is just not built to understand. Calculus and Economics are a couple of examples
Chad Santos
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Zen, the Tao, the beautifully simplicity of a quiet, accepting mind.
Renée Paule
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It would be easy to dismiss this book by its cover as a ‘child’s read’ and leave it on the shelf. That would be a shame, for this charming book portrays the principles of Taoism through the story of Winnie the Pooh - and the other characters - in such a way that it makes the reader stop… and think about life. Pooh lives in the ‘now’ without concern for things past or future; life just ‘Is’. Benjamin Hoff shows, through the adventures of Pooh and his companions, that a happier, more contented lif ...more
Dylan Olson
Jan 21, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(Sorry Tyler)
On premise alone, this book opens with great momentum. In the first 21 pages, Hoff successfully illustrates his idea that A.A. Milne's character, Winnie the Pooh, is a great literary embodiment of the teachings of Lao-tse. Well done. Directing attention to the parallels between Eastern and Western philosophy is not an altogether original idea. Fritjof Capra accomplishes the very same thing with greater skill, detail and poetry in his book, The Tao of Physics. Hoff's arguments are s
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
This is my favorite book to give as a gift. Benjamin Hoff has brought the loved characters from the 100 acre wood & explains principles Taoism in a way that is endearing as well as simplistic.

From the forward:
"What's this you're writing?" asked Pooh, climbing onto the writing table.
"The Tao of Pooh" I replied.
"The how of Pooh? asked Pooh, smudging one of the words I had just written.
"The TAO of Pooh," I replied, poking his paw away with my pencil.
"It seems more like the OW! of Pooh", said
Patrick
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
The Way that can be spoken of is not the one we tread.

These are Lao-Tse's opening words. The great mistake of course is that we do speak of it, and write of it, and attempt to pontificate upon the nature of all things as though an understanding of the Way entailed an understanding of all things. It is rather that an understanding of the Way encompasses all things. To understand, to judge, to see the faults in one and not the other is a common mistake in the interpretation of various Buddhist an
Caren
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This is a charming little book. The author is able to seamlessly move from actual Pooh quotes to his own clever Poohisms. (He really seems to know the old bear well.) Through these charming little visits with Pooh and friends, he quietly shows some Taoist principles. It is a method that works very well. I knew nothing about Taoism, but his discussions with the Milne characters make some deep ideas easily understood.
Here is one of Mr. Hoff's "conversations" with Pooh, from pages 98-99 of my 1983
Weinz
Jan 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Some how when it comes from the guileless mouth of a tender hearted bear happiness and contentment in life seems so simple. Hoff does an amazing job of bringing his readers Eastern philosophy from the point of view of endearing characters that we've all grown up with. Its message of simplicity and peace was like a vacation for the soul. I recommend this one to anyone who needs a break from the every day grime we all have to deal with.

My only grief was the watered down version of the Eastern Rel
Linda
Tao dou,tou noun
(in Chinese philosophy) The absolute principle underlying the universe, combining within itself the principles of yin and yang and signifying the way, or code of behavior, that is in harmony with the natural order.

Pooh
Also called Winnie the Pooh or Pooh Bear, was a fictional anthropomorphicteddy bear created by English author A. A. Milne.

The Tao of Pooh
Harmony comes from happiness. Vinegar and honey don't mix. Simplicity begets wisdom. Learning is derived from books. Be sure to
Carrie Poppy
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet
Marta
Hoff has no idea about neither Taoism nor Pooh. He is an angry, bitchy man who rails against capitalism, Christianity, science, and “Busy Backsons”, ironically whom he personifies with his condescending attitude toward anyone who is not an “uncarved block” like Pooh. I don’t know much about Taoism, but I seriously doubt it is so intolerant. I know more about Buddhism, which he disses, and it acknowledges that we are distracted beings, and offers a way to achieve happiness. Instead of showing the ...more
♠shane
I love this book. Taoism is a diffacult concept to wrap your mind around and it couldn't have been made any simpler than it has been in this book. It's got some great stories in it by itself and all of the characters make great examples of the classic personality types you bump in to in everday life. I can't count how many times i've bumped in to an Eore driving home from work or walking down the street. A must read for anyone struggling with the concept of toaism. I'd also recommend The Te Of P ...more
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This is one amazing little book! It's so calm, simple and inspiring I wanted to start reading it again as soon as I finished it! This book can definitely change your life: it's so uplifting! What I found really interesting when reading reviews here and there is how everyone identifies with a different chapter from the book, a different character. The book really has something to offer to each and everyone of us, it echoes our own personal experiences. My favourite chapters must be "Cottleston Pi ...more
Nick Pageant
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A very enlightening BR with Mishy.

This is a great little book. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a great introduction to Taoism, there are surely a lot of scholarly books that would be better suited to that purpose, but this book does do a good job at pointing out some of Taoism's goals in a very sweet, Pooish sort of way.
Donna
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
This was too cute, but well....so is Winnie the Pooh. I liked the message of this. It was simple and had a peaceful tone, as anyone would expect from both Pooh and Taoism. I liked the voices of the Milne's characters, but this felt a little too .... I want to say forced, but that isn't really the right word. However, the parallel was appreciated and creative.
Laura Leaney
I like this book - mostly because Pooh functions as kind of an anti-hero in it, although technically he's not "anti" anything really - in that he embraces not-doing and not-thinking. But honestly, Pooh does a lot of stuff. He finds the North Pole, he rescues Roo, and all kinds of other things. But, as Benjamin Hoff points out, he is "the most effortless Bear we've ever seen.

"Just how do you do it, Pooh?"
"Do what?" asked Pooh.
"Become so Effortless."
"I don't do much of anything," he said.
"But all
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Sono sempre più convinta che la vita vissuta secondo gli insegnamenti taoisti sia quella più felice e meritevole.. Niente mi trasmette tranquillità e 'gioia di vivere' (virgolettiamo, che qui sembra che vada in giro cantando e saltando, lanciando i fiori alla gente e urlando "LA VITA E' BELLA!) come leggere dei precetti taoisti, giuro!
*Prossimo passo: applicare suddetti principi*

Questo libro è semplicemente *adorabile* da una parte e *utile* dall'altra; per la parte dell'adorabilità ci pensa ovv
Play Book Tag: The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff - 4 stars 8 22 Feb 08, 2019 03:18AM
Around the Year i...: The Tao of Pooh, by Benjamin Hoff 1 23 Aug 06, 2016 08:31PM
  • Pooh and the Philosophers: In Which It Is Shown That All of Western Philosophy Is Merely a Preamble to Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Tao: The Watercourse Way
  • 365 Tao: Daily Meditations
  • The Tao of Inner Peace
  • The I Ching or Book of Changes
  • The Essential Tao
  • The Tao Is Silent
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • The Prophet
  • The Way of Chuang Tzu (Shambhala Library)
  • Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers
  • Christ the Eternal Tao
  • No Boundary: Eastern and Western Approaches to Personal Growth
  • The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to  Enlightenment Illuminated
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • T'Ai Chi Classics
Hoff grew up in the Portland, Oregon neighborhood of Sylvan, where he acquired a fondness of the natural world that has been highly influential in his writing. Hoff obtained a B.A. in Asian Art from The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington in 1973.

Hoff has also studied architecture, music, fine arts, graphic design and Asian Culture. His studies in Asian Culture included reaching the cer

The Way, With The Enchanted Neighborhood (2 books)
  • The Te of Piglet
“Do you really want to be happy? You can begin by being appreciative of who you are and what you've got.” 598 likes
“Lots of people talk to animals...Not very many listen though...that's the problem.” 285 likes