Start by marking “Laughing at Wall Street: How I Beat the Pros at Investing (by Reading Tabloids, Shopping at the Mall, and Connecting on Facebook) and How You Can, Too” as Want to Read:

$20,000 to $2 million in only three years— the greatest stock-picker you never heard of tells you how you can do it too

Published November 8th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Laughing at Wall Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laughing at Wall Street

Kunal
Mar 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Definitely a book that I do not reccommend anyone to read. As I continue to struggle to find a way to become passionate about investing, I saw this book in the library and thought would be an interesting way to look at investing. However, I quickly was disappointed by the book. Sure Chris Camillo has made a phenomenal return on his personal investment account and he writes the book as if the audience is a non-wall street professional who is just looking to learn how to invest their personal mone ...more
Matt
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! I've read a few investment books before that talk about formulas and expert methods. I've seen the infomercials about getting rich quick with a tried and true method for picking stocks. It's all mickey-mouse magic in my opinion....as well as in the opinion of the author of Laughing at Wall Street (LWS). Chris Camillo explains his method--which when you step back and think about it is perfectly logical and based on reality, not voodoo--of using his own observations of the world around him, ...more
Nina
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a primer on how to invest in stocks based on your own experience, observations and monitoring of current culture and trends. The author's message is that Wall Street experts overlook plenty of information that is obvious to Moms, teens, suburbanites, and others. The book explains step-by-step how to buy stocks and options and where to look for trends that will affect the future of stock prices. This book describes the way the stock market works in a very entertaining manner. I received t ...more
Kalle Wescott
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
The whole book can be summarized in about 5 pages, but the 5 pages are worthy for the finance non-professional who wishes to invest in public equities.
Ross Brannigan
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: learning-finance
Having read quite a few books on the topic written by finance professionals over the past years including Benjamin Graham’s “Intelligent Investor” and Phil Fishers “Common Stock, Uncommon Profits”, I was a little skeptical of the authors claims - to say the least. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised. Overall it's a light and relatively jargon-free intro for finance novices.

For me, some of the key takeaways were as follows:

Understanding Information Arbitrage (information imbalances vs. infor
Wenyu Zhao
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Talks about information arbitrage, observation and due diligence and using a straightforward rating aggregation index to decide if you go long on a stock. Great insight. The part of promoting online bulletin board system isn’t really very interesting. Fun read.
Vishal Patel
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good advice on how to spot trends.
Christopher Obert
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
A good book on how to create your own type of investing philosophy using events around you to read how the market (or a company) may be turning. The book should not be the first investing book that you ever read, a familiarity with investing in stocks is needed to understand some of the material cover in the book. Still the book covers some basic ideas (such as being aware of things happening around you) and how to analyze that data. These skills are always helpful to any investor.
Lainy
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Blurb from Goodreads

Chris Camillo is not a stockbroker, financial analyst, or hedge fund manager. He is an ordinary person with a knack for identifying trends and discovering great investments hidden in everyday life. In early 2007, he invested $20,000 in the stock market, and in three years it grew to just over $2 million.

With Laughing at Wall Street, you’ll see:
•How Facebook
Leslie
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Laughing at Wall Street is an investment book that is not based on complicated financial analysis, charts or statistics. It’s written in plain, easy to understand language without a lot technical jargon and geared toward the new investor.

I’ve read more than a few books on how to invest, pick stocks or analyze the market and most have been confusing or boring. This book isn’t like that. The author makes it interesting by explaining investing using a friendly, narrative style. He tells personal st
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
The main point of this book is just to notice the things going on around you in order to make stock picking decisions. It was an idea that I'm familiar with. I think it's a good way to determine whether or not a particular stock has market power. That's typically how my husband and I have picked stocks in the past. We've gone with stocks based on our own observations about what's going on in the world and we've done okay. It doesn't do a lot of good to listen to talking heads in my own opinion.

T
Marsha Hudgens
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I gave this 4 stars for being thorough. If you're thinking about investing, or already at it, it's a helpful tool. It doesn't take long to see once you study the market, that what Camillo says is true. Stock market analysts and experts speculate with as much accuracy as a blind archer. He gives good common sense advice on how to use their ignorance to your advantage, figure out for yourself which way the market might flow and go with it for optimum return. A lot of it seemed redundant and overst ...more
Haley
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Laughing at Wall Street was an easy read with no advanced financial jargon. In all, it took me about 4 hours to read. As someone that does not have a financial background, I found it easy to understand Camillo's unique methodology behind turning $20K into over $2 million. The book shows how those that are off Wall Street can recognize emerging product trends in every-day life and replicate the author's success story in their own lives. After reading this book I found myself looking at products a ...more
Will
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really wish I could have given this book 4.5 stars because it deserved it. A wall street book that did not go deep into analytics. In many ways Camillo takes the Warren Buffet ideas of buy what you know to the next level.

This book teaches you to open your eyes to your instincts... look for opportunities that are all around you on a daily basis then he gives you the knowledge of how to research those observations to find out if they really are worth your money.

Complex stock and options are exp
Andrea Mueller
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I, like many other recent college graduates, have never read a book about investing mainly because have never had the desire to. Once I got my copy of Laughing at Wall Street I was pleasantly surprised that it speaks to the average person, who may or may not have experience with the stock market. The author uses stories to help explain and relate investing to real-life experiences. He teaches you to look at your day-to-day life differently to see investment opportunities that can eventually pay ...more
Jo-Ann Murphy
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I won this book from the Goodreads giveaways. I am so happy I did. This is a fantastic investment book. It speaks in very easy to understand language with relatable examples.

I have read many books about finance and investing and this one makes the most sense. He emphasizes that you must investigate adn research before you buy a stock but he uses very simple formulas. He points out that the complicated formulas other books promote don't really help you make good investments or money.

I think this
Joanne Tombrakos
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I admit to having a cynical eye toward any of the sundry books out there that profess to have all the secrets as to how you can create a fortune, find true love, write a book, blah, blah, blah but ........If having control over your financial future is of interest to you and you have thought about dabbling in DIY trading, I recommend you get yourself a copy.
For the full review click here.... http://onewomanseye.blogspot.com/2011...
Don Jesse
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I expected more from this book but was disappointed at the vague information provide. Although he did explain his own success story he did not really get into detail on what he did to achieve it other than mention some stocks he invested in.
Rachel
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty interesting concept. I think you can follow this with a small amount of money that you are have a higher tolerance for risk. I would never recommend this approach for large sums of money that you plan to support yourself in the future.
grundoon
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Sort of an illustrative example of Lynch's classic "invest what you know" advice. More relevant to current context, interesting enough story, though not a terribly deep examination or any more instructional.
Stephen Antczak
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-finance
Interesting "invest in what you know" how-to.
Benjamin Cruzan
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book. Good ideas.
Katie
Oct 05, 2011 marked it as to-read
Won a copy through First Reads. Let's see if this can help me understand the world of investing!
Luke Reisdorf
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
While not the most entertaining read, Chris Camillo does offer investing ideas and tools that do not feel overly complicated or smell suspiciously like a scam.
Matt
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. If this doesn't get the brain juices flowing then I question your passion for making money with stocks.
Josh Maher
Dec 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Definitely one to skip, I wound up with a free copy and was thoroughly disappointed.
Magus Chihaba
Brilliant book and brilliant ideas, I would recommend this book to any novice investor or someone who wants to read about several good success chronicles.
Jennifer Worsham
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very well written and interesting. This guy has some great ideas.
Will
Dec 28, 2011
Jego Armstrong
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Raising Venture Capital for the Serious Entrepreneur
  • Models.Behaving.Badly.: Why Confusing Illusion with Reality Can Lead to Disaster, on Wall Street and in Life
  • The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry
  • Ten Rules for Strategic Innovators: From Idea to Execution
  • The Bias Against Guns: Why Almost Everything You've Heard About Gun Control is Wrong
  • Mountains of the Pharaohs: The Untold Story of the Pyramid Builders
  • To Save America: Stopping Obama's Secular-Socialist Machine
  • Where Keynes Went Wrong: And Why World Governments Keep Creating Inflation, Bubbles, and Busts
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • The Founders' Second Amendment: Origins of the Right to Bear Arms
  • The Entrepreneurial Mindset: Strategies for Continuously Creating Opportunity in an Age of Uncertainty
  • The Open Conspiracy: What Are We to Do with Our Lives?
  • Blood Persuasion (Immortal Jane Austen, #2)
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • Change Your Life!: A Little Book of Big Ideas
  • The Second Amendment:: Preserving the Inalienable Right of Individual Self-Protection
  • In Our Hands: A Plan to Replace the Welfare State