Start by marking “Harbinger of Evil” as Want to Read:
Harbinger of Evil

Harbinger of Evil

In 1963, New Orleans’ French Quarter is rocked by the gruesome murder of a wealthy businessman, and Detective Richard Mobey finds himself intertwined in the lives of a family about to unravel from generational secrets. The widowed detective faces the choice of following his instincts or his heart as he investigates Hattie Lee, the primary suspect found lying next to the co ...more
Published May 19th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Harbinger of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harbinger of Evil

Start your review of Harbinger of Evil
Patti
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A mystery in the vein of the classics, unfolding bit-by-bit, like a literary game of CLUE. I loved the way each character is introduced via interviews with a look at their secrets, connections and motive. Mobey is the perfect "imperfect" detective. Relax, read and enjoy!

Hope Meb is busy writing us another.
Stephanie
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I typically am not a mystery thriller reader. I tend to gravitate toward paranormal or urban fantasy. Having said that, I am so glad I stepped outside of my comfort zone. The book was fast paced and engaging. It even has a happy ending. Meb Bryant shared with me that she edited the original ending. Thank you for giving the reader closure. It was good to see the central characters finding love and happiness amid such deception, blackmail, bribery and violence.

Meb Bryant's book had me guessing an
A.K. Klemm
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Meb Bryant blew me away.

I adore Richard Mobey, aka Mobey Dick, he’s my favorite white whale. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him, watching him build relationships with the other characters in the novel, witnessing his snotty banter, and finally experiencing him unravel the mystery and put all the puzzle pieces together.

I love the back drop of the novel, there’s no exaggeration with the tagline: New York Crime Meets New Orleans Voodoo. In all my reading history, this is my favorite ‘voodoo’
Holly Barbo
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From the opening murder scene of a privileged member of New Orleans aristocracy the reader is hooked. Nothing makes sense. The only suspect the police have is a young black woman who was found beside the body naked, tied up, drugged and beaten! The reader is led a merry chase through unexpected twists and turns as Ms. Bryant takes elements of real news stories from our country’s history and masterly weaves them into the murder mystery. I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Terra
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was fortunate enough to receive this book from a FirstReads giveaway. The first chapter opens up with gratuitous graphic descriptions that the author seemingly just used as an attention getter since the rest of the book (view spoiler) only hinted at sexual tension. The plot itself was somewhat winding and didn't really come together for me. I found the characters somewhat unbelievable and couldn't find a real connection with any of them. ...more
Susan
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meb Bryant’s debut novel “Harbinger of Evil,” is a surprisingly complex story of love and betrayal, intrigue and corruption in 1963 New Orleans.

The sounds and smells of the bayou, the spicy taste of gumbo and the rhythm of rag time music jump off every page, but be warned. The grand old plantations are as dangerous as the back alleys of Bourbon Street and evil lurks behind the curtains of Spanish moss.
Dave
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a murder mystery, set in November 1963 New Orleans.
It's a good easy read. For me, I was disappointed at the end. The fate of one of the characters is 'left up in the air', and I really wanted to know what exactly happened to them, after I'd invested so much time into them,
Also, though set in 1963, terms such as "B*tch slap" and "Drive-By" are used in the story-They don't fit in 1963,IMO....
Overall a good read. One steamy sex scene that caught me by surprise, as well.
Gena
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great "Hard Boiled" read! If you like it dark, gritty, and set in the South-- check this one out!
Meb Bryant
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am the author of this book.
Janet Nash
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!
Sandra
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My first time reading a book from Ms Meb. I found it wonderfully written. I love New Orleans so taking us back in time was even better. You could really imagine what Hattie was like through the words. I found time flew as I was reading this. I'm moving in to another book by the same author. I hope I enjoy that one as much if not more than this one. Great job Meb. Keep on writing.
Becky Moore