Start by marking “Parts” as Want to Read:
Parts

Parts

(Parts #1)

The young narrator has discovered a disturbing trend: There's fuzz in his belly button his toes are peeling and something just fell out of his nose. The last straw is a loose tooth, which convinces him of the awful truth his parts are coming unglued!Parts deals with a subject of deepest interest to every young child: the stuff our bodies shed.
Published October 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published September 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Parts, please sign up.
Sarah NO I CAN'T. I can't read this book so would someone please fix this?
-Jinx

Abigail
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Children Who Enjoy Silly Humor / Adults Looking for Humorous Read-Alouds
A young boy becomes seriously alarmed when he notices that certain bodily functions - hair coming out on his comb, lint forming in his navel, a tooth loosening - seem to indicate that he is coming unglued. Is his body coming apart - disintegrating into its constituent parts? Or have his parents simply neglected to tell him some of the facts of life...?

Young children will enjoy being "in the know" as they listen to this entertaining picture-book from author/illustrator Tedd Arnold. With a rhyming
Nyssa
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, that was adorable! I'm not sure how many 5-year-olds are just that literal (none of mine were at that age), but it makes for a cute, and funny story.

A perk of substituting for a 2nd-grade class.
Ronyell
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“Parts” is a wonderful book about body exploration from the mind of the creator of “Green Wilma,” Tedd Arnold. This book is about how a young boy starts to panic when weird things start to happen to his body. This book was voted Best Children’s Book for Parents Magazine and it richly deserves that honor as it is surely a children’s classic.

Tedd Arnold has done a great job in writing the boy’s woes in a rhyming text, which makes this story even more humorous and reassuring. Tedd Arnold creativel
Julia Stevens
I have a nephew with autism and he has a hard time comprehending sarcasm/popular sayings. This is a set of three books which uncover sayings such as "I'm cracking up, lend me a hand, cost an arm and a leg etc." Super fun to read as well!
Cynthia Parkhill
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shared-reading
My listeners seemed captivated by the narrator's misunderstanding of natural bodily occurrences like hair caught in a comb, belly-button lint, sloughed-off skin, etc.

The illustrations are especially notable for the protagonist's facial expressions, as he imagines the worst-case occurrence that he thinks is happening.

Most especially, I thought that readers would relate to the narrator's concern and and eventual reassurance about a loose "baby-tooth."

My younger listeners are at the age when some o
Shiloah
So cute! We have a little guy with anxiety too and we get how the little protagonist feels.
Danielle Truitt
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Year after year Parts is a favorite in my Pre-K classroom. The book takes a humorous look at what actually happens to kids' bodies as they grow up in literal ways that adults never really think about, from teeth falling out to blisters/dead skin that peels off. The illustrations are entertaining with lots to look at and they are a snapshot of what a young child might actually be picturing in his/her head about what is happening to their bodies. This book is very fun and it teaches children all k ...more
Lynne
This book (along with the others in this series) offers a ton of humor! Imagining body parts truly as parts and thinking that he is losing them, the narrator becomes afraid of leaving the house. My favorite is "I lifted up my shirt and found this little piece of fuzz. I stared at it, amazed, and wondered what this is all about? But then I understood. It was my stuffing coming out." The illustrations that accompany the text are hilarious as well. Definite read aloud for my story time group!
Shakeema Gabriel
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: body-parts
This is a cute book. The illustrations are very pretty. At my pre-k placement is where I first saw this book. When we got to each body part I would stop and have the children point to it and we could talk about it. We could even do head shoulders knees and toes after we read the book.
Allison
Reading this with Kindergarten, not sure how much they will understand but I hope it will lead to some good conversations about the "parts" of a book.
laura
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
more parts...cute kids book Aubrey let me borrow. Seems more adult almost because it's kind of how we think about things sometimes. We take things so literally and can start going crazy in our heads.
Sarai
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Colette recommended this to me and it is a fun book. I like the illustrations and the humor.
Delaney Truman
Dec 11, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ahhhh
April
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I let one of my students pick a book from the basket for us to read today, and this one was chosen. Having no idea what the book might be about, and curious about the unique title, I opened it up and began to read. We loved it!

This is an adorable book about a very real issue for young children who are beginning to be curious about how the human body works. Our young protagonist seems to be falling apart. His hair is coming out. There's fuzz in his belly button. Skin is peeling off the bottom of
Kalia Johnson
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Parts is a great picture book for young children in either preschool or younger elementary school age children. This book is about a young boy who is exploring his body parts and how your body changes. He is almost in a panic thinking that the glue that holds us all together isn’t working for him. I thought this book was very cute and my kids really enjoy it so I gave this book a 5 star rating! Parts really teaches kids about their body and things like ear wax and teeth/hair falling out which ar ...more
Mei Chen
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Parts by Tedd Arnold
Review by Mei Chen

This story is narrating about a kid found out some changes have taken place in his body, such as hair loss, tooth loss, desquamation, and runny nose. He was frustrated and worried that he would become fragile as a toy, the body will easily be separated. So he took a lot of tape to wrap himself up, then his parents told him that these were all normal.

The illustrations are interesting and clear, the illustrator used a large illustration as the background for t
Melissa Horton
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Parts is a book about a young man exploring his body and finding new things about himself. The book has a rhyming pattern of ABCB, and I think it makes it more fun to read to a younger demographic. The illustrations of Parts are unique as I had never seen illustrations done in this way that aren't written by Tedd Arnold. It is very colorful and exaggerates the writing of the picture book, which was what most stood out to me when I read this picture book. Although there is a lot of writing on the ...more
Lexie Elder
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shandy Htun
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book makes fun of small bodily changes that people experience, and blows it out of proportion. Young children will likely be able to relate to the narrator in the book, as they start to pay attention to parts of their bodies. The illustrations are very silly, and first show what actually happens and then shows what the narrator claims to be the reason for what is happening. The rhyming tone of the book makes the story even more playful and enjoyable.
Skyler Albright
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fun non-fiction picture book is about parts on the body. It begins by first, his hair falling out then his skin started peeling from his toes. Then gross stuff started falling out of his nose. Things just kept happening to his body parts.

I thought this book was very comical and I think kids would like it and laugh very hard.

I would use this in my classroom by teaching them about the body parts and we would label parts of the body and then read this funny book.
Luisa Knight
A comical tale about a little boy who's wondering what's happening to his body. His comb has a few of his hairs - eek, is he going bald? He notices a dust bunny in his belly button - ah, is he loosing all of his stuffing? It's not exactly sophisticated, but it's a fun way to start teaching your kids about their body; and maybe start introducing a little hygiene lessons too. *wink*

Ages 3+

Cleanliness: uses the phrase "thank goodness."
Alaina Covington
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
Parts by Tedd Arnold is a silly picture book about a boy who finds something wrong with a different part of his body everyday. One day something is coming out of his nose and the next day he notices a loose tooth.

This fiction picture book a funny read for elementary readers and full of great illustrations. I would recommend this book for young readers as a simple humor read!
SaraKat
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super cute book about a kid who sees things falling off of his body and misreads the situation. The illustrations are adorable and very entertaining. This book is best read by an adult to the child, since the book doesn't explain the reasons behind things, but it is an excellent starting point for parent/child discussions.
Jami Parsons
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Parts is a cute book that educated young children the different functions of the body. The book has the narrator discovering his bellybutton and thinks he is dying because there is lint in it. The narrator discovers his armpit and that there is hair growing there.
This book guides and plays fun on children discovering their bodies as a casual and informative thing.
Marissa Estrada
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-class-books
This book is now one of my favorites. The pictures are so bright, which I love about children book and it relates to children and what their body goes through and how sarcastic they become when something different happens to them. The pictures were also silly. I definitely will be reading this to my kids in a year or so.
Anthony
What happens when an ordinary five year kid notices the subtle changes happening to his body? Skin peeling, hair falling out, belly button lint, and teeth falling out, could his whole body be falling apart, or coming unglued ? Find out what happens in this humorous tale of how the body works.
Natalie Greaves
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really funny story about changes. It was well illustrated and I liked that the author showed what was going on from the kids perspective. It is also a good story for discussing feeling with children.
Ashley Frickson
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Silly book about a boy who thinks everyday something worse is happening with his body. There's fuzz in his belly button, his toes are peeling and something fell out of his nose. He believes he is coming unglued.
Dawn Laws
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is about a body growing up and thinks that he is falling apart. It ends up that he realizes that it's all part of growing up.

I rate this book 5/5 because it gives kids a good idea of things that will happen to them as they grow up with all the honest things that come out.
Betul Kilinc
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has a very uniquely funny way of describing the functions of our body parts. It's a great book to be read to children who are newly discovering all of their body parts. The language is easy to understand with colorful pictures that are suitable for a younger audience.
  • David Gets In Trouble
  • Falling for Rapunzel
  • Pirates Don't Change Diapers
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • The Butt Book
  • Chicken Cheeks
  • Diary of a Fly
  • Hooway for Wodney Wat
  • The Great Fuzz Frenzy
  • Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook
  • Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble (Skippyjon Jones, #3)
  • How Are You Peeling?
  • Milo's Hat Trick
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • The Plot Chickens
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,