Start by marking “Parts” as Want to Read:
Parts

Parts

(Parts #1)

The young narrator has discovered a disturbing trend: There's fuzz in his belly button his toes are peeling and something just fell out of his nose. The last straw is a loose tooth, which convinces him of the awful truth his parts are coming unglued!Parts deals with a subject of deepest interest to every young child: the stuff our bodies shed. ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published September 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Parts, please sign up.
Bookworm Sarah Goodreads is a website to track books you've read or want to read, not to actually read them.…moreGoodreads is a website to track books you've read or want to read, not to actually read them.(less)

Start your review of Parts
Abigail
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Children Who Enjoy Silly Humor / Adults Looking for Humorous Read-Alouds
A young boy becomes seriously alarmed when he notices that certain bodily functions - hair coming out on his comb, lint forming in his navel, a tooth loosening - seem to indicate that he is coming unglued. Is his body coming apart - disintegrating into its constituent parts? Or have his parents simply neglected to tell him some of the facts of life...?

Young children will enjoy being "in the know" as they listen to this entertaining picture-book from author/illustrator Tedd Arnold. With a rhyming
Nyssa
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, that was adorable! I'm not sure how many 5-year-olds are just that literal (none of mine were at that age), but it makes for a cute, and funny story.

A perk of substituting for a 2nd-grade class.
Ronyell
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“Parts” is a wonderful book about body exploration from the mind of the creator of “Green Wilma,” Tedd Arnold. This book is about how a young boy starts to panic when weird things start to happen to his body. This book was voted Best Children’s Book for Parents Magazine and it richly deserves that honor as it is surely a children’s classic.

Tedd Arnold has done a great job in writing the boy’s woes in a rhyming text, which makes this story even more humorous and reassuring. Tedd Arnold creativel
Julia Stevens
I have a nephew with autism and he has a hard time comprehending sarcasm/popular sayings. This is a set of three books which uncover sayings such as "I'm cracking up, lend me a hand, cost an arm and a leg etc." Super fun to read as well! ...more
Cynthia Parkhill
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shared-reading
My listeners seemed captivated by the narrator's misunderstanding of natural bodily occurrences like hair caught in a comb, belly-button lint, sloughed-off skin, etc.

The illustrations are especially notable for the protagonist's facial expressions, as he imagines the worst-case occurrence that he thinks is happening.

Most especially, I thought that readers would relate to the narrator's concern and and eventual reassurance about a loose "baby-tooth."

My younger listeners are at the age when some o
Shiloah
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
So cute! We have a little guy with anxiety too and we get how the little protagonist feels.
Danielle Truitt
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Year after year Parts is a favorite in my Pre-K classroom. The book takes a humorous look at what actually happens to kids' bodies as they grow up in literal ways that adults never really think about, from teeth falling out to blisters/dead skin that peels off. The illustrations are entertaining with lots to look at and they are a snapshot of what a young child might actually be picturing in his/her head about what is happening to their bodies. This book is very fun and it teaches children all k ...more
Lynne
This book (along with the others in this series) offers a ton of humor! Imagining body parts truly as parts and thinking that he is losing them, the narrator becomes afraid of leaving the house. My favorite is "I lifted up my shirt and found this little piece of fuzz. I stared at it, amazed, and wondered what this is all about? But then I understood. It was my stuffing coming out." The illustrations that accompany the text are hilarious as well. Definite read aloud for my story time group! ...more
Shakeema Gabriel
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: body-parts
This is a cute book. The illustrations are very pretty. At my pre-k placement is where I first saw this book. When we got to each body part I would stop and have the children point to it and we could talk about it. We could even do head shoulders knees and toes after we read the book.
Sarai
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Colette recommended this to me and it is a fun book. I like the illustrations and the humor.
Allison
Reading this with Kindergarten, not sure how much they will understand but I hope it will lead to some good conversations about the "parts" of a book. ...more
Kalia Johnson
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Parts is a great picture book for young children in either preschool or younger elementary school age children. This book is about a young boy who is exploring his body parts and how your body changes. He is almost in a panic thinking that the glue that holds us all together isn’t working for him. I thought this book was very cute and my kids really enjoy it so I gave this book a 5 star rating! Parts really teaches kids about their body and things like ear wax and teeth/hair falling out which ar ...more
April
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-reads
I let one of my students pick a book from the basket for us to read today, and this one was chosen. Having no idea what the book might be about, and curious about the unique title, I opened it up and began to read. We loved it!

This is an adorable book about a very real issue for young children who are beginning to be curious about how the human body works. Our young protagonist seems to be falling apart. His hair is coming out. There's fuzz in his belly button. Skin is peeling off the bottom of
Mary Leigh
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-1-20
Summary: This book is all about a little boy who is unaware about some of the things happening to his body. He thinks that the fact that one hair fell out of his head means he will go bald soon. He also thinks the booger that happens to come out of his nose is a little piece of his brain! We will take a journey through the awareness of our main character of his body filled with hilarity and wit in this short children's book.
Evaluation: To me, this story was mainly meant to entertain children. I
Chandler Smith
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-20
Summary:
As can be assumed by the title, this book is all about parts of the body! This book is written using many many rhyming words. The rhyme and alliteration of the story make it very fun to read. However, while reading, you are also learning a lot about the parts of the human body!

Evaluation:
I really enjoyed reading this book. I love Dr. Suess's books because of the rhyme he used in them and this book reminded me of a lot of those books. I think that the book is great for a younger audience
Arianna
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book won the "tellable" stories award and the Colorado Children's Book award. This book is good for grades k-1. The book starts off with young boy who begins to notice that something is not the same as the day before. The five year old worries that he will go bald. The boy continues to worry about things that he does not need to worry about such as his stuffing and arm falling off.

This is a cute book for children to hear. Not all, if any, children will worry about going bald or having thei
Aaron Lattu
Book Title: Parts
Author: Tedd Arnold
Reading Level: 2.8
Book Level: K-3
Book Summary:

Bookshelf Genre: Picture Books
Parts helps young readers learn about different things that might be happening to their bodies as they start to grow up. They will learn that having hair fall off or having belly button lint is very normal and that as you get older your baby teeth fall out. This is a book that will help calm the nerves of some young readers who likely have had some of the same questions. Things comi
Mei Chen
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Parts by Tedd Arnold
Review by Mei Chen

This story is narrating about a kid found out some changes have taken place in his body, such as hair loss, tooth loss, desquamation, and runny nose. He was frustrated and worried that he would become fragile as a toy, the body will easily be separated. So he took a lot of tape to wrap himself up, then his parents told him that these were all normal.

The illustrations are interesting and clear, the illustrator used a large illustration as the background for t
Darius Anderson
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Parts is a book about a little boy who thinks he is falling apart. All the changes that are happening to his body is completely normal but he is very concerned. His hair is falling out, he has lost a tooth, and his skin is peeling after a long bath. After he is in a full panic, his parents tell him that everyrthing is okay and that he is not falling apart. However, he doesn't believe anything they are saying, its hysterical. I really liked this book. It has good pictures in it and it is a fun bo ...more
Toreian
Apr 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Melissa Horton
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Parts is a book about a young man exploring his body and finding new things about himself. The book has a rhyming pattern of ABCB, and I think it makes it more fun to read to a younger demographic. The illustrations of Parts are unique as I had never seen illustrations done in this way that aren't written by Tedd Arnold. It is very colorful and exaggerates the writing of the picture book, which was what most stood out to me when I read this picture book. Although there is a lot of writing on the ...more
Brianna N
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Summary: This kid is afraid his body is falling apart at the age of five. He has different experiences and then he freaks out. He has teeth falling out and freaks out. How will he figure out if this is normal or not. Does he love tape yes he does.

Analysis: I like this book. Its showing what happens with your body. Its quite funny. The illustrations are great. The kid has a very big personality that will make all readers laugh.

Use this in my classroom: I could use this in my classroom to show d
Lexie Elder
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Michelle Adamo #EmptyNestReader
The narrator, a 5 year old boy, becomes alarmed when he notices that he is losing some of his parts. His evidence? Hairs in his comb, a loose tooth, lint in his bellybutton (is that stuffing?), and something strange just came out of his nose! Is his body falling apart? Is there something his parents neglected to tell him? With the perfect sense of humor for 5 year olds, a rhyming text and colorful artwork Parts is sure to please the young reader. This silly and fun book will appeal to ages Pre-K ...more
Shuang Zheng
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story tells a child who has found some changes in his body, such as hair loss, tooth loss, scaling, and runny nose. He was frustrated and worried that he would become vulnerable like a toy and his body would be easy to separate. So he took a lot of tape to wrap himself up, and his parents told him that it was normal. This story also tells the children that their bodies will change as they age.
The illustrations are interesting and clear, and the illustrator uses large illustrations as the ba
Ailsa Graham
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Parts" by Tedd Arnold is a story of a five-year-old boy as he discovers that his parts are falling apart. The parts that are mentioned include boogers, ear wax, and his teeth falling out. By the end of the story, he discovers that it is all normal and he is only growing up. The book itself includes illustrations that hint at flashbacks or memories of his "parts" falling off and are borderless. The art style is cartoonish and the font of the text is handwritten, providing the information that it ...more
Luisa Knight
A comical tale about a little boy who's wondering what's happening to his body. His comb has a few of his hairs - eek, is he going bald? He notices a dust bunny in his belly button - ah, is he loosing all of his stuffing? It's not exactly sophisticated, but it's a fun way to start teaching your kids about their body; and maybe start introducing a little hygiene lessons too. *wink*

Ages 3+

Cleanliness: uses the phrase "thank goodness."
Shandy Htun
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book makes fun of small bodily changes that people experience, and blows it out of proportion. Young children will likely be able to relate to the narrator in the book, as they start to pay attention to parts of their bodies. The illustrations are very silly, and first show what actually happens and then shows what the narrator claims to be the reason for what is happening. The rhyming tone of the book makes the story even more playful and enjoyable.
Cary Stough
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites as a child in the way your favorites are the most painful, most shocking. A book of logical consequence taken to the radical limit. This organ-ing follows two paths: a science which would attempt to mitigate the shock of its conclusions by invoking impersonal fact, and a metaphysics, in the deleuzian vein (and the Carrolian, and the Hitchcockian), as a logic of sense.

The booger/brain blending still gets me.
Alaina Covington
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
Parts by Tedd Arnold is a silly picture book about a boy who finds something wrong with a different part of his body everyday. One day something is coming out of his nose and the next day he notices a loose tooth.

This fiction picture book a funny read for elementary readers and full of great illustrations. I would recommend this book for young readers as a simple humor read!

• Diary of a Worm
  • David Gets in Trouble
  • Scaredy Squirrel
  • How I Became a Pirate
  • Pirates Don't Change Diapers
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • Snowmen at Night
  • Oliver Button Is a Sissy
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • No, David!
  • Wemberly Worried
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • The Mixed-Up Chameleon
  • Cirkusmysteriet (LasseMajas detektivbyrå, #3)
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • David Goes to School
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
See top shelves…
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,