Start by marking “Somebody’s Child: Stories about Adoption” as Want to Read:
Somebody’s Child: Stories about Adoption

Somebody’s Child: Stories about Adoption

UNIVERSAL STORIES OF LONGING AND BELONGING

Our quest for origin and, by extension, identity is universal to the human experience. For the twenty-five contributors to Somebody’s Child, the topic of adoption is not—and perhaps never can be—a neutral issue. With unique courage, each of them discusses their experience of the adoption process. Some share stor
Published September 15th 2011 by TouchWood (first published September 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody’s Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody’s Child

Ruth Linka
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is part of a loosely linked series of books on the modern family. It's interesting to think about all the different forms a family can take these days and how we define family. The first book that started this off was Nobody's Mother: Life Without Kids. This was followed by Nobody's Father. All the books are personal stories or essays about a certain topic. I love the personal essay form because even if it's not MY story, or a topic I can relate to directly, the writers draw us in. It' ...more
Salena Koster
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful. Anyone whose life has been affected by adoption (which is practically everyone) should read this. Some essays are far more powerful than others, and many are not without their faults, but the sum of all of these different perspectives and experiences, both good and bad, is deeply moving.

One essay is by a woman named Nicole Callahan, an adoptee who reunited with her biological sister at age 27. She is writing her dissertation in adoption stories, and a few months ago she
Sheila
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
True short stories from a number of people involved with adoption. Some stories are written from the perspective of the birth mother, birth father, child, grandparent, sibling, and parents who adopted. It even includes the experience of lesbian couples who adopted. Some stories are sad, it seems many of the children who were adopted were not happy. Many children adopted were from intraracial relationships. Most of the events happened in Canada.
Dorothy
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is an anthology of stories written by people who are part of an adoption triangle. Some of the chapters are better written than others. Some are painful to read, and others more joyful.
Many of the stories recount what happens when adopted children are reunited with biological parents. I found it an interesting read but from my perspective, I would have liked to see more stories written from the point of view of the adoptive parents.
Ann Douglas
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating and beautifully crafted collection of stories about adoption. Highly recommended.

My review in The Toronto Star:

Jill
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book has made me so thankful for the journey we are travelling with adoption. The many perspectives the book offers had me shaking my fist in frustration and crying tears of grief for those who have lost so much and often, needlessly. Powerful in its rawness, an emotional read.
Caron Bright
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
as an adoptive mom with a toddler it gave a lot to think about
Tracy Trofimencoff
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was really good. So many stories and different points of view on the process and experience of adoption. I appreciated the fact that so many stories were about Canadians.
Kim
Ka
Jul 19, 2013
Akverlie
Sep 24, 2013
Bruce Gillespie is the editor of the essay collection "A Family By Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships." He is the co-editor of two other anthologies: "Somebody's Child: Stories About Adoption" and "Nobody's Father: Life Without Kids," all published by TouchWood Editions. He lives in Simcoe, Ontario, Canada.