Start by marking “The Elementals (The Vespertine, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Elementals (The Vespertine, #3)

The Elementals

(The Vespertine #3)

Meanwhile, midwestern farm boy Julian Birch has inherited the wanderlust that fueled his parents’ adventures. A childhood bout with polio has left him crippled, but he refuses to let his di
Published June 4th 2013 by Houghton

To ask other readers questions about The Elementals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elementals

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,570 books — 11,034 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,499 books — 12,224 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Elementals (The Vespertine, #3)
Crowinator
Another one for the "WTF ending" shelf.
Kate
Mar 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, arc, 2013
I am really, really, really crushingly disappointed right now. And for the moment the only thing I can think to say is that.

It's been a bit, and every time I think about this book I get more and more sad/angry. My biggest complaint is that this book was much, much, much too short. Too many things were happening for it to make any sense. In the first two books in this series, we were limited in our point of view to our heroines, so the brevity could work. Here, we're divided between our heroine
Kasey
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
So I have to start this review out by saying that I’ve truly enjoyed Saundra Mitchell’s writing. I’ve read all the books in her The Vespertine series, and was immediately sucked into the world that she created with Amelia and Zora. However, that being said this book was somewhat of a disappointment. There were many things that I enjoyed and loved about The Elementals, but there were also certain aspects that I felt detracted from the story. Let me start by telling you what I did enjoy.

The writi
Liviania
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Saundra Mitchell's debut SHADOWED SUMMER, and I've always meant to read her new books but never quite managed. Thus I haven't read THE VESPERTINE or THE SPRINGSWEET, the companions to THE ELEMENTALS.

I've been told the first two books stand very well on their own, but I wish I had read them before reading THE ELEMENTALS. There is a reasonable amount of background, but the villain is entirely motivated by events that happened in one of the earlier books, which I could merely make educate
Jessica
Jan 14, 2013 added it
Shelves: ya, 2013
This is a companion novel to THE VESPERTINE and THE SPRINGSWEET, in which our previous heroines' children - also gifted with elemental magic – meet in LA during World War I, with disastrous consequences. I loved seeing how life played out for both of our previous couples. Nathaniel and Amelia have become a bit insufferable in their privileged flights around the globe, but Emerson and Zora have become one of my favorite book couples with all their laughter and hard work and passion for one anothe ...more
Jan
This teen historical paranormal fiction, the last book of the Vespertine trilogy, is published by HMH Books for Young Readers. It gets an extra star for some bisexual affectional content, pretty daring for the age group of 12 and up, though there's no actual sex and the word "bisexual" is never spoken.

This felt more like a sketch for a novel than an actual novel. By the time all the various characters were outlined, the action was already finishing up. I couldn’t believe it was the end already,
Pickle Rick
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-bad, ya
To be honest, I read this book such a long time ago (maybe not too long ago) that I really don’t remember what happened but the ending.

The ending was fucking fantastic. It almost made me cry! It made me think about the meaning of life. It made me appreciate love (that was before I knew what love was).

The ending was so good that it made me change my mind about the book as a whole.

I’m happy that Mitchell’s writing improved so much since that ugly first book.

Are you an interior decorator? 'C
Carmen
Mar 03, 2012 marked it as to-read
I kinda liked the title Aetherborne better.....

And I like the cover of The Springsweet better.

Oh well. This cover seems much dark and mysterious, so let's see what it offers.
Natalie
Aug 30, 2012 marked it as to-read
Ooooh, nice cover! (could do without the weird lens flare tho)
Carina Olsen
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It feels like I just read The Vespertine and The Springsweet. But it's been many months. Been dying for this third and final book ever since then. While it doesn't come out until June 2013, I was lucky enough to get an review copy of it from the publisher via NetGalley. <3 And I'm so happy about that. My review won't be spoilery, but you probably shouldn't read it unless you have read the first two books in this series. Which you really must.

I have read a lot of great books. And this series is s
Pammelah
A tad disappointed.

The first book was fantastic. I couldn't put it down. The second was a little weak in plot and ended as if it were rushed, as did this last book. I was disappointed that the characters seemed rushed and I didn't get to know them deeply and become attached. Disappointed that the endings were hurried and shallow. I was really hoping that the second book was a fluke. Unfortunately not.
Kes
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2017
3.5 stars - most enjoyable of the trilogy, although felt more like magical realism (Things Happened for the sake of happening). Liked how atmospheric the setting was, not very keen on the ending but ok. Saved by the writing style.
An Odd1
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Slow until sad, very sad. Girl who stops time and boy who donates his life force to revive the dead both go to Hollywood and meet vengeful sailor. By trade of magic, I should've guessed tragedy.Typos: 3.14 laugher IS laughter
12.11 clown IS down
Mara
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? I've always liked that you can never fully see the character impersonators' faces on the Vespertine Trilogy books, and that remains true with this one. I like the simplicity of it and the photograph feel it has.

Characters: Out of all of the characters in this entire trilogy; out of all of the protagonists in this entire trilogy, Kate Witherspoon is not my favorite. That doesn't mean I didn't like her, because I did a bit. She wasn't an awful protagonist; it's just out of
Molli Moran
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
See more of my reviews at Once Upon a Prologue!

From the first Saundra Mitchell book I read (The Vespertine), on to the second (The Springsweet), and now the third and final book in her trilogy, The Elementals, one thing remains constant. I am in awe of Saundra’s ability to write words that read like magic. I fell in love with her writing, and with her characters in The Vespertine, and although I did have some issues with The Elementals, I enjoyed revisiting old favorites and meeting new beloved
Ramie
When I selected this book, it wasn’t really clear that this was part of a series, one which I haven’t read. Luckily for me I didn’t realize that until I’d already started reading it and it didn’t matter.

This was the entire description I read before requesting it: “Kate Witherspoon has lived a bohemian life with her artist parents. In 1917, the new art form of the motion picture is changing entertainment—and Kate is determined to become a director.
Meanwhile, midwestern farm boy Julian Birch has
Stacey
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
I loved "The Vespertine" and "The Springsweet". They were everything I ever wanted in a novel. I loved the setting and the characters. I enjoyed that although there were supernatural elements to each of the first two novels, they were about so much more. Saundra Mitchell's writing is lovely and engaging. I was swept into her world in each book.

I was thrilled about the final book being released and have anticipated it for ages. I was eager to read about the children of the heroines of the first t
Danielle

I was excited to read this because I wanted to see where the story was going to go for Amelia, Nathaniel, Zora and Emerson’s children. During this trilogy, I enjoyed how the elements were magic for these characters. We got to see them come together, fall in love and finally start a family. In the beginning, we saw friends coming together for a night. Years later, when they had their children, we saw their powers, making a show for the first time at a young age. Then, both being almost eighteen,
Melissa
The first book in this series is The Springsweet and it is my favorite of all three. It tells the story of Zora and Emerson and it was perfect:} Then there is The Vespertine that answers a lot of the questions I had about Springsweet and tells the story of Zora and Amelia's friendship and Amelia and Nathaniel's love. It was also a very good book. The Elementals at first gives you a look at them together one last time before splitting apart to their separate worlds. Zora to the farm and Amelia to ...more
Austyn
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing was nice, as always. But...the book just didn't do it for me. I liked some of the characters enough (though I mostly felt indifferent at best), but the pacing was all wrong. I found myself skimming through the first 3/4s of the book. I wish Saundra had made that last bit into the last half. And honestly, I would have much preferred a book soley about the parents to this.

I will say I applaud Mitchell for basically writing a bisexual character and not making it her defining point. It
Jules Goud
I was totally not ready for that ending. I didn't see that coming.

Here we get to see the effect that the elements have on Zora's and Amelia's children. You see what happens when two people with element powers have children.

I liked Kate and Julian's story. I thought that it was very different from that of their parents. We get to see how they go out and try to make a life for themselves outside of their parents's homes. They try their hand at jobs and even at love.

I hate to say it, but I don't l
Merrilyn Tucker
This is the third and final book in a series, the first two being The Verspertine and The Springsweet, respectively. Elementals relied on the premises constructed in the first two books, so, not having read them, I was lost in the beginning of the story (the author counts on the reader knowing the circumstances up to that point). Slowly, the main characters, Kate and Julian, developed. Both teens had run away from home to start a new life in 1917 Los Angeles. Kate wants to be a movie director an ...more
Cairn
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Mmmmmm.... not sure how I fell about this book. There was so much unexplained and strange things going on. I didn't see much of a plot happening besides the romance between the girl and guy which was almost nonexistent until the last few chapters. I didn't like Kate, but I loved Julian. There were some poetic lines and phrases here and there that were sort of cool, but otherwise everything was just kind of vague and random. Definitely not the ending I was expecting in this trilogy considering ho ...more
Toni Fay
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I found Mitchell's book to be well-written, with a neat use of language that managed to be rich and delicately figurative without being florid or overwrought. It was prettily done, and pleasant to read. However, when I finished the book, it felt too soon. It was as if a carefully constructed scaffold had only been fleshed out half way. But perhaps it only feels that way because it is the third in a series; perhaps the book would feel more complete in the context of those that preceded it.

This i
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A bittersweet ending to a captivating series. I hate saying goodbye to series I've come to love. This is one series I feel like I've gotten to personally know over the course of Saundra writing it, and I didn't want it to end just yet, though I do love the way this book wrapped up everything up. It has closure, and yet it's a little open ended due to the fact it makes me hopeful with all that happens. Not to mention all my favorite characters are back together, as this story is about their child ...more
Jo Ann Mulligan
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Maggie
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I ADORE Saundra Mitchell's writing. This book had beautiful writing, excellent characterization, and an interesting plot. I just feel a bit weird about the ending. I'm not sure that that's how I would've foreseen this trilogy ending. I still enjoyed reading it overall, and I would totally read more by Saundra.
Leanne
As much as I liked this book, and all the characters, I feel like a) I wouldn't have liked it near as much had I not read the first two and b) had I read this first, I might only be half-assedly inspired to read the first book, about Amelia. Certainly not The Springsweet, about Zora. Which is sad because Zora was my favorite character by a mile in the first two books.
Jacqueline
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Maybe it's because I just read The Springsweet, but The Elementals was not nearly as good. I didn't like that it was narrated in the third person from so many different people's perspectives. I also felt like there wasn't as much development of the plot as there could have been. The ending was sweet in a way, but not particularly satisfying.
Lydia
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed in this book. The story itself isn't horrible, but like the other books in the series, I felt like it was very rushed and just didn't live up to its potential. As the conclusion to the series, I kind of totally hated the book. That's probably largely because I didn't find the ending very happy, and that leaves me really unsatisfied.

• My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands
  • The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
  • Shopgirl
  • Red Herring - Acting Edition
  • Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
  • Maytag Virgin
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  • Agnes of God
  • Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
  • The Arrival: The Pridden Saga: Book One
  • Soulless
  • Taking Angels
  • Unchained - Nephilim Rising
  • Tempting the Best Man (Gamble Brothers, #1)
  • Winter Wonderland (LoveTravel #10)
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • The Boy Next Door (Boy, #1)
Saundra Mitchell is the author of SHADOWED SUMMER, THE VESPERTINE, THE SPRINGSWEET, THE ELEMENTALS and MISTWALKER. In non-fiction, she’s the author of the THEY DID WHAT!? series for middle grade readers. She’s also the editor of the YA anthology DEFY THE DARK. IN 2018, HarlequinTEEN will publish her next anthology, ALL OUT.

Writing as Jessa Holbrook, she published her first romantic contemporary YA

The Vespertine (3 books)
  • The Vespertine (The Vespertine, #1)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)