Start by marking “Transparent (Transparent, #1)” as Want to Read:
Transparent (Transparent, #1)

Transparent

(Transparent #1)

Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fion
Published May 21st 2013 by HarperTeen (first published May 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Transparent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transparent

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
516 books — 2,461 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,576 books — 11,056 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it

Transparent is a decent debut made up of various bits of excellent, some touches of meh and a few dashes of annoying. However, Whipple's humourous dialogue, complex set of characters and inventive imagination make her an author that I still intend to seek out in the future, despite the fact that I found this book only slightly better than okay. It is one of those books with fantastic potential that goes some way towards achieving it but is let down by a gradually-building pile of negatives.

The
Blythe
Natalie Whipple's Transparent is pitched as a YA mashup of The Godfather and X-Men, with compelling characters, writing, and practically compelling everything abounds. Adding to that awesome pitch, it's received a copious amount of positive early reviews from some very trusted friends of mine. And so, due to all those aforementioned points, I found myself asking before diving into Transparent, "What could possibly go wrong?"

A lot. The answer to that question ended up being 'a lot.'

Transparent
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Look, Mom, it’s a standalone! I feel like I haven’t read one since the 90’s. Such a rare bird! I totally want to dissect it.

In some ways, Transparent is a wonderful surprise. The worldbuilding is fairly simplistic, but that is far more preferable to a messy, underdeveloped world. During the Cold War, a pill was developed to neutralize the risk of radiation, only it had unforeseen consequences on DNA of those who took it (and of their children). Abilities like super strength, telekinesi
Kim
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It's spunky, exciting, and full of surprises!

I just finished reading Transparent a second time and I LOVED it as much as I did the first time!!!
Jenni Arndt
Oct 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oy. Looking back I may remember reading TRANSPARENT as one of the most unpleasant reading experiences I have had. Ringing in at only 231 pages on my Kindle I was hesitant to DNF because it was such a short read but those 231 page took forevvvvver. This book lost me so early on because it failed to make me give a damn about anyone or anything that happened in the story. I mean it’s the story of an invisible girl on the run from her father. I repeat: It’s the story. Of an INVISIBLE girl. On the ru ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Life is too short to read wannabe X-Men stories. I could solve this INVISIBLE girl's daddy problem in one sentence: Join a nudist colony.
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
ARC Giveaway on the blog! (US) http://somelikeitparanormall.blogspot...

Fiona has been her dad's tool all her life. His power is that he is basically irresistible to women so he controls Fiona, her mom, and a ton of other females. Fiona is invisible and that makes her a great thief but when her dad finally wants to make her commit murder, her mom grabs Bea and they run. They have tried to run many times but her dad is very powerful. Fiona has low self esteem because she is literally completely in
Steph Sinclair

X-Men meets The Godfather? This ought to be interesting!
Debby
2 stars

Let me start by saying that the tagline "X-Men meets the Godfather" is cruelly misleading. Of course, we should know that with taglines by now, but they're still deceptive. The inherent action and intrigue implied by that tagline is really only present in the first 10% and the last 10%. What do we have in the middle? A contemporary-like romance with some supernatural elements thrown in there in an attempt to create a deep story that kind of just fails in the execution.

The beginning of the
Dark Faerie Tales
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Great Sci-Fi book, with a great plot and awesome characters.

Opening Sentence: I nearly died the second I was born.

Excerpt: No

The Review:

Fiona McClean lives in a world where everyone has some kind of mutation. Years ago there was a drug called Radiasure and it was suppose to help protect people from radiation but it came with side effects that no one was expecting. Even though people stopped taking the drug — the damage had been done and it
Kayla Eklund
In 2018, one of my main reading goals was to read a lot of my backlist books that I had just taking up space on my Kindle for a long time. One of the ways I did that was to listen to audiobooks. Not only was it a big time saver, but I found that could read more that way. One of the last audioboks of 2018 that I listened to was Transparent. I really enjoyed the book.

It makes me sad that I had waited so long to read Transparent. I've owned it for years, but it never really caught my eye. It didn't
Hallie
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
When I read about this, I assumed that Fiona had a superpower-type-invisibility, meaning she could become invisible at will, but I was mistaken in that assumption. The reality - that she was born invisible and had never been seen in her life - was far cooler in theory, though it would have been a difficult set-up to do really well, I think.

As it was, I found the premise unlikely (Fiona's clothes could be seen, so at least she'd have been more likely to survive infancy and toddlerhood), her fath
Lucia
2.5 STARS. I like YA paranormal stories a lot, but this one was just too childlish and juvenile for my liking...

"All I know about myself is that I'm five foot eight, a houndred and forty pounds, and the owner of one rocking wardrobe. When all anyone sees is your clothing, it's important.

Fiona has special ability or curse as she sees it - she is completely invisible. Her father is criminal and charmer, able to persuade females to do what he wants. And he wants Fiona to spy, steal and do a lot o
Renee Collins
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The thing that really made this whole book for me is the main character. An invisible girl. It's such a creative, challenging idea. In the hands of a writer with less skill, it could have flopped. But Fiona was completely true and alive to me. I'm pretty sure that Natalie Whipple actually has an invisible friend that she consulted with in the writing of this novel.

But Fiona's not the only character that feels truly real. Every one jumps off the page. As does the setting. This book has such a vi
Anita
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

I'm almost certain one of the few reasons why I'm not rating this book any lower is because of how readily and easily readable it is. While not the best book in the world, there was so much awkward and wrong with a lot of things that I found myself aggressively rolling my eyes or just blinking at some points. But seeing as how I managed to roll through the entire story so quickly, I have to give it credit for serviceable writing and being fairly entertaining.

Transparent h
Jon
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, & more!

Transparent has possibly one of the most interesting premises that I've seen in a while. X-Men meets The Godfather is how the former description described Transparent. Honestly I was sold right after hearing that and I immediately downloaded an ARC. I expected something a bit more action-packed, but Transparent definitely lived up to my expectations.

Transparent is a fun, paranormal adventure with an exciting plot line and interesting
Enna Isilee
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Natalie is SUPER AWESOME, and I'm pretty sure her book may be the only thing AWESOMER than her. I haven't read it, but I'm still pretty sure. ;)

EDIT: Okay, now I actually HAVE read it and I was totally right! Love!!!!!

This book grabs you from the first page. Seriously. I wasn't even 10 pages in before I knew that I needed to buckle up. I felt like I had stepped into a mix of the X-Men and Oceans 11 and it. was. awesome!

First of all, it was clear that Natalie had thought about this book in every
Matilda
Oct 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
This book sounds amaaaazing <3
WAIT. Pause. Scroll up. That release date ... Tell me today is May 20th 2013 ...

So, let me get this straight ... you expected me to go on reading other books knowing that THIS book wouldn't be released until next year? Oooooooooh, I get it! In fact, why don't we just make that release date say "Not in your lifetime!" :D Oh, yes! I must admit that sounds absolutely delightful.
Sara Raasch
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First of all, can we all just take a moment of silence and revel in how GORGEOUS the cover is? I want to roll around in all those colors.

This book is just as colorful as its mesmerizing cover, if not more so. Fiona is everything you could want in a main character -- she's smart, not afraid to take care of herself, loving, loyal, flawed, and just all around kick-ass. And she's INVISIBLE. Natalie Whipple has managed to make a story about an invisible girl COLORFUL. That feat alone is worthy of end
Mckenna Walus
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This book is awesome! I couldn't stop reading I finished it in one day! I Love the main heroine Fiona she's funny and she has great style! This book plays out so well! It's really clever and smart! I'm so proud of my sister for writing this amasking book! It really is awesome everyone needs to put it on their to read list you won't regret it!
usagi ☆ミ
I was really excited when the blurb for this book went up late last year - I love anything with the mafia in YA and of course, superheroes/X-Men sort of stories and it sounded like "Transparent" would definitely be the book for me. Sadly, there was so much that needed to be done, and at least another two or three drafts written to smooth everything out even at the ARC stage of things that I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd expected to. However, it's not without its fun bits, so I'd recommend ...more
StarMan
TAGLINE: "Even an invisible girl can't hide forever."

FIRST SENTENCE (Prologue):
"I nearly died the second I was born."

Out of the 8 or so "superhero" books I've read the past 2 years, TRANSPARENT was actually one of the better ones (hint: most of 'em sucked).

invisible

Fiona is an invisible girl. In fact, she's never even seen herself. She can't turn her invisibility OFF, which makes her life challenging. But you'll have to read TRANSPARENT to, um, see what I mean.

TRANSPARENT is not a comic book Heroes v
Alyssa

Publication: May 21, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her moth
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
This review is also available over at my blog.

_______________________

Meh.

Don't get me wrong, I was loving this book when it started out. The very first paragraph immediately pulled me in: I nearly died the second I was born. The doctor dropped me, but it wasn't his fault. When I smacked the floor and let out a screeching cry, all anyone could see was the semitransparent umbilical cord. The poor guy scooped me up, grasping in shock at my invisible body. I thought it was a great way to start this
Mitchii
To say I have lower expectations with this book is a sure understatement. Before I begin, I have already formulated on how it will turn out. Often times I always get it right. But not this time. Transparent provided a highly entertaining story of a girl who is invisible from the day she was born and how she’s coping with it. And we thought being invisible saves you from scrutiny of others. But even she gets the same treatment or much worst.

Fiona is the invisible girl. And here I thought that wal
Jennavier
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Have you ever met someone online and thought they were awesome? That was me with Natalie Whipple. She has an amazing blog that I have loved to pieces over the last few years. So despite being almost ridiculously poor right now when I realized that my library wasn't getting any of her books I went out and bought Transparent.
I won't say I regret it, because that's a jerk thing to say and isn't true. What I will say is that I learned that Whipple's style, while just as crisp as in her blog, doesn't
Bari
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received this advanced reader copy of Transparent (a young adult novel) by Natalie Whipple at the Haper Teen preview meeting for librarians. I am a little more than 1/2 way through.

Where to begin - I am going to get right to the point. I LOVE THIS BOOK - well written, captivating, hard to put down, fast paced, unique (I have never read anything like this before).

Teen readers and those who enjoy a teen novels which have paranormal/romance elements will put this debut author on the map. I for o
Emma Adams
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it

The premise of Natalie Whipple’s debut novel instantly drew me to the story. Fiona, the narrator, is completely invisible, which makes her invaluable to her criminal father. When he tries to get her to commit murder, however, he crosses a line, and Fiona and her mother flee in the middle of the night. A new start gives Fiona a chance at a normal life and she even makes normal friends - but she lives in fear of her father catching up to her.

In this alternative present-day world, generations of ch
Carrie
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You should hate me for having read this early. Unless it's out now, in which case quit hating me and go get your copy already. SO SO GOOD.
Annabelle
***FINAL RATING: 3.45 STARS***

CATCHALL
Transparent was a fun dystopian read, and while there were some new and different concepts it didn't really feel like it brought all that many new things to the table of the dystopian. The heroine is invisible, yes, but other than that, I was hard-pressed to find things about it that were truly unique. Now, don't get me wrong, I loved this book. But on a purely objective standpoint, I have to say that it did not blow me away the way I would have wanted it
Reading Buddy Style: September 2013-Transparent-Leigh 1 9 Aug 10, 2013 05:25AM

• Riptide
  • Mystique
  • One (One Universe, #1)
  • Impostor (Variants, #1)
  • Nobody But Us
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • Undercurrent
  • Parallel
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Levitating Las Vegas
  • Acid
  • The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • That Time I Joined the Circus
Natalie Whipple, sadly, does not have any cool mutations like her characters. Unless you count the ability to watch anime and Korean dramas for hours on end. Or her uncanny knack for sushi consumption.

She grew up in the Bay Area and relocated to Utah for high school, which was quite the culture shock for her anime-loving teen self. But the Rocky Mountains eventually won her over, and she stuck ar

Transparent (2 books)
  • Blindsided (Transparent, #2)