Start by marking “There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Africa's Children” as Want to Read:
There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Africa's Children

There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Africa's Children

A novel of tragedy and hope set in AIDS-torn Ethiopia. When Haregwoin Teferra’s husband and daughter died within a few years of each other, her life is shattered and she becomes a recluse. But then a priest delivers an orphan to her door. The another, and another... and together they thrive.

The distinguished author of Praying for Sheetrock and two-time National Book award
Published September 5th 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about There Is No Me Without You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Is No Me Without You

Start your review of There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Africa's Children
Chrissie
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical, ethiopia, bio
NO SPOILERS

Having completed the book, here are my thoughts. Everybody should read this book. When you say millions of AIDS orphans, it doesn't really mean anything. When you come to know a few, their thoughts, their experiences, their fears and dreams, the numbers take on a face and they mean something. It is much better to understand one individual in depth than millions without faces.

You fall in love with some of these children. Most parents wanted to adopt baby girls. Do you know who were
Alicia
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dik
This is the book that is causing me to rethink my life and try to decide if I am living a meaningful life. Am I doing enough good or should I sell my possessions, move to Africa or India and dedicate my life to something more useful than having a socially conscious job and owning a home.

Haregewoin Teferra was a middle class woman in Ethiopia, a professional woman with an husband who was a teacher and two beautiful and beloved daughters. After her husband passes away she raises her daughters to
Marci
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: favoritebooks
This book really taught me a lot both intellectually and personally. It taught me that I haven't the first clue about poverty, the orphan crisis, about Africa and about AIDS. The author writes in a journalistic style about a current day Ethiopian woman who after the death of her husband and later her daughter decides to enter a life of hermitude. As she goes to say her good byes to a priest friend he asks her to take in a street girl and care for her. She reluctantly says yes. With in a few ...more
Caroline
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
To be honest I found a lot of the writing a bit too speculative - telling us about how children felt, when the author was not there, let alone in the mind of the child concerned. But that is only a minor quibble. This is an amazing story about an amazing Ethiopian woman - Haregewoin Teferra - who took lots of children orphaned by AIDS, into her home.

I very much like the way the author interspersed the story with theories about how AIDS may have come into being, and the fantastic politics of the
Joanne
After reading Melissa Fay Greene's funny No Biking in the House Without a Helmet, I picked up this earlier book about the woman who runs the orphanage from which some of Green's children came. Somehow I missed it when it came out, despite its winning a slew of awards that year. It is a powerful book, and it took me a long time to finish it because I needed time to absorb its impact. The book is not maudlin nor manipulative, but its subject, AIDS orphans, is tragic.

Greene is an excellent writer,
Megan
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookgroup
I wasn't anticipating the emotional journey this book would take me on. I've been sad, angry, happy, bereft, indignant, heartbroken, despairing, hopeful, and just about every other emotion you can imagine while I've been reading it.
I'm so moved by the true-life heroine of this book, Haregewoin Teferra who turned her grief after losing her husband and a daughter into a mission to rescue as many of the thousands of AIDS orphans in Ethiopia as she could handle, and then some. The author doesn't
Christy
Jun 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is an eye-opening book about AIDS orphans in Ethiopia. Melissa Fay Greene particularly focuses on the efforts of one woman who cares for those orphans. Haregewoin Teferra was one of the few refuges for AIDS orphans in the earlier days of the pandemic. Greene's tale doesn't seek to make Haregewoin into a saint, but shows her in all her courage and also her limited ability to handle the incredible task she takes on. When the Western world begins to laud Haregewoin for her deeds, Greene also ...more
Alexander
Apr 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
There is No Me Without You is meant to bring a human quality to the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa and, more specifically, Ethiopia. Regardless of intention, this narrative is problematic. I enjoyed Greene's ability to weave a historical background of the global AIDS epidemic and the storyline of Haregewoin together in the first half of the book. The prose was enjoyable. But this palatable story line is the sole reason this narrative, retold through the lens of an American women, proved dissonant. ...more
Laurel
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Much like Half the Sky, this was one of those books I often found myself wishing everyone would read. Briefly speaking, in There is No Me Without You, journalist Melissa Fay Greene explores the history of HIV/AIDS, the subsequent plight in Africa (more specifically, Ethiopia), and how one woman reached out and tried to bring about change. Insightful, educational and inspiring.
Eileen Souza
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, adoption
This is one of the most profound, informative, and life-altering books that I have ever read. If I could give it six stars, I would.

I started reading this book because I’m a prospective adoptive parent, looking to adopt from Ethiopia. I could not have picked a better book to explain the history and reality of HIV as well as the impact on the children of Ethiopia.

This non-fiction work is a story told in two parts. The first aspect of the book covers the history of the development of HIV/AIDS, how
Stella Tran
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
There Is No Me Without You gives a detailed account of a woman's journey to save the children in Ethiopia. It also sheds light on the AIDS epidemic and fates of the children who were born to suffer.

This book is a roller coaster for me. Sometimes, it keeps me engrossed. Sometimes, the author goes too deep into something for too long and I cannot help but skip pages.
Justine Olawsky
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I wish there were more options for the rating system. I "liked" this book in the sense that I am glad to have read it. I "liked" it in the sense that it was beautifully, achingly written in parts. I "liked" it because I think that I am a bit more completely, expansively human for having read it. On the other hand, the subject matter is heart-breaking, the narrator can, at times, be frustrating and intrusive, and the book is one I can never imagine turning to again with pleasure. But, it was ...more
Ebookwormy1
I was sad to finish this book. If we ever do adopt from Ethiopia, which is a growing dream of mine:
1) I want to purchase a copy of this book for each child we adopt;
2) I want my husband to read this book;
3) I want to refer everyone who asks "why?" we would adopt to this book.

Greene's journalistic style weaves the life of a woman literally sucked into orphan rescue (Haregewoin Teferra's), statistical analysis, vignettes of the children's lives, global politics, Ethiopian history, causes/
Aaron
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ethiopia, non-fiction
Only having time to read a few pages per day, this book took me a long time to finish. But as I read, I was constantly pulled closer. Closer to the stories of children becoming lost, and becoming found again. Closer to the story of a woman just like the rest of us who gave everything to save the few children she could. And closer to the big picture that is the global AIDS epidemic. Before long, I wasn't able to sit down and read without consuming 15-20 pages at a time.

Melissa Fay Greene pulls
Melissa
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Powerfully written, There is No Me Without You, presents solid research, incomprehensible statistics and the more powerful prose of personal narratives and stories out of Ethiopia giving a face and depth the the HIV/AIDS crisis.

I cannot adequately express how moving and powerful this story was for me. The HIV/AIDS crisis, the cause of orphans and widows are all completely overwhelming and more often than not leave me feeling powerless and hopeless. Greene presents these overwhelming factors
Nancy
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancy by: Kadee
Shelves: non-fiction
I am reminded of Fred Rogers' quote, when bad things are happening "to look for the helpers."

I am having a really hard time writing my thoughts. I am appalled and discouraged, but also hopeful and inspired. This book was like Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide for me: educational in a way that I didn't even know I needed and a scathing indictment of big government, greed, big corporations, and Big Pharma, and some of the worst aspects of humanity.

At the same
Anne
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had a difficult time putting this book down. It is the story of an Ethiopian woman (Haregewoin), who is modestly comfortable (financially) for the first half of her life, experiences a great personal loss and ends up taking in an orphaned child. Six weeks later, Haregewoin takes in another orphan, then another, until she finds herself unable to say "no" to requests for help. An orphanage results, she struggles to make ends meet and her life is no longer her own. Despite this, Greene (the ...more
Andrea
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: africa
Like some other readers, I was a little disappointed by some of Greene's more obvious emotional manipulations. Also, I was little annoyed that she didn't really reveal her own involvement in the story, beyond just that of a journalist, until at least halfway through the book. She spends more time than really makes sense defending herself against the claim of having failed to meet Haregewoin at the airport, which makes me wonder what else about their relationship she hasn't revealed. Overall,the ...more
Beckbunch
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You will feel changed after reading this book. I absolutely loved it. Greene is a wonderful writer and has the ability to express a point in one sentence that many writers would take pages to tackle.

The story she tells is such an important one--what happens to the millions of children orphaned by the AIDS crisis? For some of them, they come to call Haregewoin Taffera's compound home. As Greene says, "In a world without people try to be a person. And Haregewoin tried."

A beautiful book.
Kay
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Kay by: NY Times Book Review
This is one of the most important books I've read this year, maybe this decade. It is a true story of corruption and AIDS, not as a generality, but as a disease that can erase a country if not a continent unless our help gets to whom it needs to go. It is a story of how each individual person, doing what is within their ability to do, can make a change. This is the book our young people need to be reading.....not the fantasy world of Twilight.
Patricia
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Confession- I thought I was buying a different book when I did my one click ordering; however, I am so grateful that this book came into my life. As someone who has studied public health, you would think that the impact of the AIDS epidemic wouldn't shock me, but nothing can prepare you for these stories of heartache and loss. It's not an easy book to read, but the lives of these remarkable humans are powerful, inspirational, and resilient.
Jess
Nov 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-read
sad but inspirational story of a woman who, despite having next to nothing, ran an orphanage in ethiopia. greene has a knack for telling stories of people who beat the odds (she wrote Praying for Sheetrock).
Roz
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I always have found Melissa Fay Greene to be an exceptional writer. This book also outlines how much she lives exceptionally, too. Once you read this, please read her more current No Biking in the House Without A Helmet.
Esther
Dec 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This is a powerful book about the Aids epidemic in Ethiopia and all the children who have become orphans because of this disease.
Flora
A moving, heartlifting account of how an Ethiopian woman handles AIDS, orphans and adoption.
Donna
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
An inspiring book, and one I would have finished if I hadn't left for vacation when I was on page 145.
Darius Murretti
NO PRAISE OF THIS BOOK COULD BE TOO HIGH!!! ( see my in progress reading comments ) THIS BOOK IS FULL OF EXTREMELY TOUCHING MOMENTS THAT WILL MOVE YOU DEEPLY .

This is a VERY dramatic emotionally intense humanitarian story of Haregwoin ( HAR-IG-WIN) Teferra a middle class 50ish Ethiopian Lady who loses both her daughters to AIDS . ( AIDS virus was spread to millions of INNOCENT african children by dirty needles used to vaccinate them against small pox !!!!!)

Just picture it !!! Here is a country
Margaret Assany
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is probably going to be the most important book I've read in 2018. If it isn't, then it'll definitely be in the top 3. It's heartwarming, heart-breaking, beautiful, and horrendous. I'll admit that I talked to myself throughout listening to the (incredibly narrated) audiobook, saying things like "Are you kidding me?!" and "This is unbelievable."

I don't think I read the blurb closely enough when I bought it. I imagined it was going to be a memoir about a rich, self-righteous white American as
Suzi
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Certainly not ‘light’ reading (or historical fiction), 'There Is No Me Without You' brings the African AIDS crisis into our consciousness. It took me awhile to finish this book because there was a tremendous amount of information to read carefully and absorb. It was shocking … it was heartbreaking … it was inspirational. I learned so much about how AIDS spread worldwide and about how the epidemic was shamefully manipulated by major drug companies that chose making a profit over treating those ...more
Cindy Jones
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One book about an amazing and strong woman. At times funny, uplifting, and unbearably sad and heart-wrenching. changes the lives of dozens (if not hundreds) of young orphaned children in her native Ethiopia. With no training, and little financial support she took in children with no families, or families too poor or sick to care for them. Some of these children were HIV positive, with nowhere else to go. She didn't always make the best decisions (one landing her in jail, at risk of losing her ...more

• Love in the Driest Season: A Family Memoir
  • 28: Stories of AIDS in Africa
  • Do They Hear You When You Cry
  • The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur
  • The Road of Lost Innocence: The True Story of a Cambodian Heroine
  • Tears of the Desert: A Memoir of Survival in Darfur
  • God Grew Tired of Us: A Memoir
  • Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew
  • They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky: The True Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan
  • Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls are Not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself
  • An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography
  • Emma's War
  • The Blue Sweater: Bridging the Gap Between Rich and Poor in an Interconnected World
  • The Hospital by the River
  • We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families
  • A Thousand Sisters: My Journey Into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman
  • Slave: My True Story
  • Strength in What Remains: A Journey of Remembrance and Forgiveness
Melissa Greene has been a contributor to NPR, The New York Times Magazine, The New Yorker, LIFE, Good Housekeeping, Newsweek, The Atlantic, Readers Digest, Ms., The Wilson Quarterly, Redbook, and Salon.com. She lives in Atlanta with her husband, Don Samuel, a criminal defense attorney. They have been married for 28 years and are the parents of nine children: Molly, Seth, Lee, Lily, Jesse (adopted ...more
“So how does it happen that -- while most people instinctively try to save themselves and their families from a catastrophe -- a few slow down, look back, and suddenly reach out to strangers? Instead of fleeing in the opposite direction, a few wade into the rising waters to try to yank the drowning onto higher land. ... In the coming months and years, I would learn that -- just as there is no blood test to identify who will jump into the fray -- there is no simple biographical arc either. No resume can predict why this man or woman, at a safe remove from crisis, suddenly announces, "This is my fight.” 4 likes
“In the Pirkei Avoth, the Jewish ethical compendium from the third century, it is written, "In a place with no people, try to be a person" (2:6).” 0 likes