Start by marking “Zonnestorm” as Want to Read:
Zonnestorm

Zonnestorm

(Rebecka Martinsson #1)

Het is hartje winter en aan de poolhemel is het noorderlicht waar te nemen als in een kerk in het Noord-Zweedse Kiruna een geestelijke, Viktor Strandgard, wordt vermoord. Zijn zus Sanna vindt het verminkte lichaam. Dan treft de politie bij haar het moordwapen en Viktors bijbel aan... Omdat Sanna doodsbang is verdacht te worden van de moord en zo haar kinderen kwijt te rake ...more
Published 2004 by Ambo/Anthos (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Zonnestorm, please sign up.
Helen Frances The plot line on Amazon for both titles say it is the first Rebecka Martinsson book. May have a different titles for different markets.

Candi
I needed to find a first-in-a-series book to read and had a hankering to read a crime novel. Having not previously read a Scandinavian crime book, I thought this was as good a time as any to give one a try. The thought of some astonishing landscape thrown into the mix appealed to me as well. I grabbed Sun Storm since it was readily available and I was happily entertained.

"The Aurora Borealis twists and turns like a dragon in the night sky. Stars and planets are compelled to give way to her, this
°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
Απο την αρχη της ιστορίας αντιλαμβάνεσαι το ρόλο των εκκλησιαστικών θεσμών της κοινότητας αλλα ειναι αδιανόητο ποσο βαθειά χωμένοι και παγιδευμένοι μεσα σε μια ιστορια του παρελθόντος που επανέρχεται στο προσκήνιο με αφορμή έναν φόνο ειναι όλοι τελικά οι εξέχοντες κάτοικοι της κωμόπολης και ειδικά οι βαθειά θρησκευόμενοι.

Εγωιστές,εκμεταλλευτές,βολεμενοι,άξεστοι και επηρμενοι απολαμβάνουν κυρίως τα υλικά αγαθά που απορρέουν εκμεταλλευόμενοι την πίστη και την αφοσίωση των απλών ανθρώπων.
Μεταξύ του
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been on a Scandinavian writers' kick since I read and fell hard for 'Out Stealing Horses,' by Per Petterson last August. After reading all three of Petterson's books, (reviewing so far only the first,) I turned to the genre which Nordic writers seem to dominate these days---the suspense novel. A recent trip to Iceland prompted me to pick up first 'Voices,' by Arnaldur Indridason, which I intend later to write about, but will just say for now that it is a subject on which I am emphatically t ...more
Jul 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe the high ratings. I am so disappointed by this. It's extremely bad written, and 80% of the book is just uninteresting. The ending was laughable at least. No one would believe that.

I absolutely hated all the characters with no exception. All of them were flat and unrealistic. And I dunno why they are swearing all the single time. I found them to be rude, unpolite, and disgusting.

Especially hated Rebecka and Sanna. Rebecka was extremely annoying as a main character. She doesn't h
Morana Mazor
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iako se danas mnogi romani nazivaju "psihološkim trilerima", Sunčeva oluja je upravo jedan takav roman u punom smislu značenja tog naziva.
Radnja se, naravno, vrti oko istrage umorstva, ali je veliki dio priče posvećen psihološkoj karakterizaciji likova.
Ali, da prvo kažemo nekoliko riječi o zbivanjima u knjizi.
Odvjetnica Rebecka Martinson koja živi i radi u Stockholmu, na poziv svoje prijateljice iz djetinjstva, Sanne Strangarda, vraća se u Kirunu, mjesto na sjeveru Švedske u kojem je odrasla, a
El Librero de Valentina
Un libro que, desde hace meses, tenía muchas ganas de leer, y hoy lo termino muy decepcionada, no me gusto el final, no me gustó la historia, un libro predecible, que no me deja con ganas de leer otras cosas del autor.
Fred Shaw
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sun Storm by Asa Larsson, audiobook version.

A popular young priest is brutally murdered in his church in northern Sweden, and his sister who found the body is accused. Sanna Strandgord turns to her friend, attorney Rebecca Martinsson for help. Martinsson is a tax attorney and has no experience with high profile murder investigations. But Rebecca is smart and tough and goes to work.

To say this is a thriller would be putting it mildly. The characters are well developed and our heroine is admirab
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A charismatic religious leader is found brutally murdered and mutilated inside the modern church of a thriving fundamentalist congregation in a town in northern Sweden. The sister of the murdered man calls her former close friend, Rebecka Martinsson, in Stockholm, pleading for help. Reluctantly, Rebecka takes time off from the law firm for which she works to head north, just for a few days, to help out her distraught friend. Unwittingly she is drawn into the investigation for the killer.[return] ...more
Rachel Hall

After encountering the feisty Rebecka Martinsson in the fifth outing of this series and enjoying it immensely, it is interesting to see how Åsa Larsson's writing has acquired a certain polish as this series has progressed. At times I felt like the narrative in this first outing was a little awkward, the character of Rebecka Martinsson still carving out a role and personality for herself, whilst also being faced with the unenviable task of returning to a childhood home that she was effec
Pedro Varanda
Depois de ler tantos policiais negros nórdicos, estes livros se tornam previsíveis, e as velhas fórmulas e clichês do costume são repetidas até à exaustão. Não recomendo.
Black Dog Reviews
Reading Swedish crime fiction makes me wonder: is Sweden really so full of murder and evilness? Or do the dark, cold winter days and nights encourage sinister novels focused on the dark area of the human psyche?

Sun Storm, winner of Sweden’s Best First Crime Novel Award, deals with religion, hypocrisy, abuse, mental illness, and perhaps redemption over the course of the story. It’s setting of Kiruna, the northernmost city in Sweden, is important. Its remoteness and isolation are integral to the s
Estibaliz79
Soy consciente de que repito mucho lo de que un libro es "de lectura ágil y amena", pero, qué queréis: de eso es de lo que se trata precisamente; y si la historia no te ofrece ese mínimo, por más interesante que sea la premisa, entonces apaga y vámonos.

"Lectura ágil y amena" es ese mínimo exigible que le garantiza a un libro las dos estrellas (a no ser, claro está, que el argumento sea ridículo más allá de lo tolerable), porque al menos te ha hecho pasar el rato... la calidad literaria no está s
Antonomasia
There probably is a bit too much exposition. But if you can't remember when you last got more than about 5 hours sleep, that is, frankly, absolutely fine. You'd miss anything more subtle. Unless, possibly, you're the ghost of Maggie Thatcher.

Can't put my finger on why, but I found this a little more clumsy and infodumping than Anne Holt. This one, in fairness, is a first novel and I've only read Holt's later books.

The crime is a typically bizarre and fantastical event - the murder and dismemberm
Chrissa Vasileiou
Λίγες φορές έχω προβληματιστεί τόσο για τη βαθμολογία ενός αστυνομικού βιβλίου..Συνήθως οι επιλογές και το ένστικτό μου δε με απογοητεύουν στο συγκεκριμένο είδος..Εδώ μπορώ να πω πως συνάντησα την εξαίρεση του κανόνα.

Έχω ακούσει πολλά καλά λόγια για την Asa Larsson και περίμενα πώς και πώς να διαβάσω κάποιο βιβλίο της..Σίγουρα το συγκεκριμένο αποδείχτηκε πολύ κατώτερο των προσδοκιών μου..Εκνευριστικοί χαρακτήρες - ειδικά οι 2 ηρωίδες,πρόχειρα σκιαγραφημένοι,χωρίς βάθος,αρκετά ερωτηματικά στη ροή
Jeanette
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark as the usual Scandinavian, but somehow this one has superior characterizations to more than equal the gritty. This new author is starting well with Sven-Erik, Rebecka, and Anna-Maria. Northern Sweden and the aurora borealis dance and flicker throughout. Yes, the characters are all considerably flawed and some not at all likeable. Not a cozy.
Jaksen
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, if somewhat disjointed story. I had a hard time putting all the pieces together, and I'm a great fan of mysteries/thrillers written by Scandinavian writers. This one was set in Sweden.

Rebecka Martinsson is a tax lawyer who gets caught up in the defense of a young woman accused of her brother's murder. Said brother was one of those flamboyant, religious celebrities who act as 'lighthouses' for their newly created/discovered religion, one which purports to being the only 'true' rel
Bev Taylor
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in a church in northern sweden a man is found brutally murdered - eyes gouged out, hands amputated and stabbed

this is the hero of the new church and is found by his sister and naturally she is a suspect. panicked she calls on rebecka her friend, who is also a lawyer but not a criminal one

she has no wish to return as it as the town has bad memories for her and she is not close to sanna who is not right mentally and also has 2 daughters

she is not especially welcomed into the close knit communit
Calzean
There is a brutal murder in the first page. Then there is a lot of background into Rebecka Martinsson, a big city lawyer who returns to her remote home town of Kiruna to help the sister of the murder victim. There is also a lot of other background, I guess to fill in the characters who will be in the rest of the series. It is only in the second half of the book that the actual crime is featured which cumulates in a bloody ending. The main message is don't mess with Rebecka.
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, scandinavian
I had to return this to the library once because I had checked it out for so long. I got laid off and suddenly found myself with more time... and thought a Fourth of July holiday at the beach was the most appropriate time to start a murder mystery set in the north of Sweden in the darkest, coldest parts of winter.

Really liked the two main characters of this mystery. Rebecca Martinson is a likable lawyer who works too hard and tries too diligently to distance herself from her small town past in
Alber Vázquez
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De puta madre, me ha gustado. El libro ha empezado flojo, pero ha ido cogiendo impulso a medida que la historia avanzaba. Lo que menos me gusta: esos flashbacks que, como recurso narrativo, son una mierda: si tienes que explicar cosas que le pasaron a un personaje, móntatelo como puedas, pero no escribas flashbacks porque apestan. Lo que más me gusta: Åsa Larsson carece de ese sentimiento de culpa tan propio de los escritores negros escandinavos. Cuando escribe, le importa tres cojones el hambre ...more
Lux
Qué libro tan mal hecho. Ni si quiera está bien acabado, no comprendo el boom.
Diana Ramos
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it was weird at first (I never read a book written by a Swedish author) I soon found myself entailed into the story. Rebecka was a very complex character and I loved that. Looking forward to read more from the series!
Manoela Padilh
Aug 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After the boom that was Stieg Larsson's trilogy, several Nordic authors began to gain knowledge in the international literary world. Åsa Larsson came in their midst, and with the good fortune to have the same surname as the master, compared with it in style and story. Good luck, I say, because if I knew how it was that book wouldn’t even started it.

The main character is Rebecka Martinsson, a tax attorney from a firm in Stockholm. And by that I mean: an annoying girl who always seems to be a litt
Libby
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is it with these Nordic writers? I've read Steig Larsson's 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Jussi Adler-Olsen's 'The Keeper of Lost Causes,' and now, 'Sun Storm,' by Asa Larsson. They really have quite a flair for building a suspenseful story with characters who are intriguing, flawed, and intensely credible. Although, I haven't felt compelled to pick up the sequels to 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,' I enjoyed Steig Larsson's style of writing. 'The Keeper of Lost Causes,' and 'Sun Storm,' have ...more
Col
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, l
Synopsis/blurb.........
On the floor of a church in northern Sweden, the body of a man lies mutilated and defiled - and in the night sky, the aurora borealis dances as the snow begins to fall....So begins Ãsa Larsson's spellbinding thriller, winner of Sweden's Best First Crime Novel Award and an international literary sensation.

Rebecka Martinsson is heading home to Kiruna, the town she'd left in disgrace years before. A Stockholm attorney, Rebecka has a good reason to return: her friend Sanna, wh
vicent
[copio el comentario que hice en books.livingsocial.com]

Lo añadí a mi lista de lecturas, aunque los comentarios no son muy alentadores; pero me gustó la reseña. Me lo regalaron (primer libro que me regalan gracias a mi "wishlist"), y me lo he leído en unas semanas (porque leo en pequeños ratos, cuando puedo).

Le pongo un 8,5 al libro, pero un 6 a la traducción. Hay expresiones que, en mi opinión, podrían haberse traducido mejor: "Hizo una PREGUNTA MÚLTIPLE sobre el propietario. Juzgado por maltra
Védís
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Myndi segja 3,5 stjörnur.

Þetta er fyrsta bók Åsu og hef ég áður lesið bækur 3 og 4, það var mér því nokkuð augljóst að stíll Åsu hefur batnað eftir bókum. Á þessari var örlítill byrjendabragur, hún fer víða yfir, sögumiðjan flakkar óþarflega oft og hratt og það vantar að þætta sumar persónur betur inn í söguna. En fléttan var góð.

Lýsingar á mannlífi og náttúru smábæjar í Norður Svíþjóð gæða söguna svo einhverju meira en krimmar sem gerast í iðrum steinsteypu, glers og málma stórborga heimsins.
Mercè
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Una gran decepción.
Tenía potencial; sin embargo solo supo ir cuesta abajo. Desaprovecha todos los personajes, todas sus motivaciones, todas las posibles salidas. Ni siquiera consigue ponerme en tensión en esa escena final.
Tanto tema religioso me saturó desde un buen principio y justo cuando estaba empezando a meterme en el "mundillo" y verle su qué, va y no lo explota como es debido. Por no mencionar la de paja que hay (aún teniendo solo 380 páginas) porque hay muuchos momentos en los que no p
This is the first book of Rebecka Martinsson series.

Even if I liked it, there are some missing clues, such as: what happened with the kidnaped dog?? Moreover, the role as an attorney is not so well assigned to the main character.
http://healthonlinereviews.com/chantel-st-claire-serum/ 1 1 Jun 16, 2017 04:51AM
  • Unseen (Anders Knutas, #1)
  • Death Angels (Inspector Winter, #1)
  • Detective Inspector Huss (Inspector Huss #1)
  • The Fourth Man
  • Don't Look Back (Konrad Sejer, #2)
  • Last Rituals (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #1)
  • The Cruel Stars of the Night
  • The Draining Lake (Inspector Erlendur #6)
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • Echoes from the Dead (The Öland Quartet #1)
Åsa Larsson is a Swedish crime-writer. Although born in Uppsala, she was raised in Kiruna in the far north. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, Larsson was a tax lawyer, a profession she shares with the heroine of her novels, Rebecka Martinsson.

Series:
* Rebecka Martinsson

Rebecka Martinsson (5 books)
  • The Blood Spilt (Rebecka Martinsson, #2)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Until Thy Wrath be Past (Rebecka Martinsson, #4)
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
“How can this dog be such an easy victim? A dog who was mistreated by her previous owner over and over again. Why doesn't she recognize evil when she runs straight into its arms? Because she has the ability to forget. Burrows down into the feathery snow and is pleased to see anyone who streches out a hand to her. And now she is lying here.” 4 likes
“Shake the tree. See what falls down.” 2 likes