Start by marking “Ta Ta for Now! (Stories About Melissa, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ta Ta for Now! (Stories About Melissa, #1)

Read Excerpt

Ta Ta for Now! (Stories About Melissa #1)

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Melissa begins her freshman year with one goal in mind, getting Brian Jackson to be her boyfriend. She will soon learn that things don't necessarily turn out the way you plan them, the value of true friendship, and the importance of family.

The Stories about Melissa series is a coming of age series that follows Melissa, her family, and her friends. Similar to Sweet Valley H
Published June 17th 2011 (first published June 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ta Ta for Now!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ta Ta for Now!

♥Rachel♥
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Bethany
Man, I forget what being fourteen felt like but this story brought it all back.

This was a cute, bittersweet tale about Melissa, Missy. Fourteen years old, just starting school again with the main goal of catching heart-throb Brian's eye. This story is narrated by Missy through a journal she writes in, given to her by her twelve-year old sister Megan, who told her "maybe if you write down your thoughts, you won't talk so much." Melissa is the oldest in a family of four children(she longs to be a
Sam
Feb 17, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: blog-tour
Hmmm....looks interesting, will start soon.
Anna del C. Dye
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a witty and entertaining book made up of entries in a diary. It is written by a fourteen-year-old girl named Melissa. It depicts her life after she is given a diary by her twelve-year-old sister, Megan, right before she starts her first year in High School. The writing is that of a fourteen-year-old, full of drama, sarcasm and sprinkled with great humor.
Melissa is happy that her body finally is looking like that of a teenage girl. She is sure she will knock Brian Jackson’s socks off. He
Bethany
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
“Ta Ta For Now!” was a really realistic story about finding yourself and finding what is really important to you. Melissa’s story is very relatable to most girls just trying to understand how life is when you’re trying to grow up. I remember being in a few of the same situations that Melissa faced myself. Having friends that you can trust and that will stand by you, along with a family that has your back, you can get through most things, just like Melissa did. Bethany Lopez did a great job at re ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-must-reads
First off I would like to say Thank You to Trish over at YA Bound for allowing me to be a part of the XOXOXO tour which is the second book to this AMAZING series!

Melissa is just your ordinary girl who comes from a large family and wishes she was the only child. She is the oldest so she is supposed to help out with the kids and the chores. She is starting high school in the fall and just wants the end of the summer to come fast because she is missing her best friend and she can not wait to see he
Barbara Ann
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fast paced well written story about a fourteen year old girl named Melissa, her family, and the beginning of her freshman year at Dearborn High School. The protagonist writes in a journal format spilling out her hopes, fears and emotions.

Even as an adult reader, I found myself laughing, crying and sympathizing with Melissa. The oldest child of four, Melissa describes her brothers and sisters: Megan, the seventh grader who has no pride in her appearance, Mikey, the nine year old pesky b
Phaedra Seabolt
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a young adult book about a high school freshman. It is written in diary format, and I times feels a little like you are invading someone's privacy. However, I have always had that issue with reading books that are diaries. Due to the format, everything has been written after the fact and there is very little dialogue taking place. My biggest complaint is that there are no dates. I know that is silly especially since when Melissa writes the entries she does try to tell you how much time h ...more
Christine
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a delight, this book was! I signed up to review the third book in this series, Ciao, so I was given the first two to catch up. I really wasn't sure what to expect. But, it wasn't this!

Ta Ta for Now! is a story told, by fourteen-year-old Missy, through a series of her journal entries. Like any "normal" girl's journal, it's not a record of EVERY SINGLE DAY...Just the ones that spark some sort of occurance. And this particular journal and its entries revolve around Missy's start to her high sc
Bri •Books and Bri•
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story reminded me what it felt like to be 14. There was no worrying about the future, your job, or any other stress-inducing pressures of life. The main thing on your mind was what to wear the next day or how to impress the good-looking boy who sat next to you in class. Lopez really captured the essence of what it means to be 14, and I really enjoyed this book (maybe more than I should have)!

Ta Ta for Now! tells the story of Melissa, a 14 year old ready to enter the world of high school. Me
Lee
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
What a trip down memory lane. I listened to the audio version of this book and, although I don't usually read young adult, I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Ta Ta For Now is the story of 14 year old Melissa navigating entering high school and all that that entails, the feeling of your first crush and the emotion of your first heartbreak. Melissa tells her story through diary entries which are full of the usual 14 year old drama, wit and humor. I thought is was
Raine Thomas
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'll bottom-line this review: I loved this book!

Being a fan of paranormal and fantasy, I haven't read a ton of contemporary YA, so I wasn't sure what to expect when beginning TA TA FOR NOW. I met the author, Bethany Lopez, through Twitter, and I picked up this book as well as its sequel, xoxoxo, with an interest in checking out her writing. I'm so glad that I did!

Melissa is a fourteen-year-old girl just starting high school. The story is told in the form of a journal, helping add authenticity to
Shayna Varadeaux
I really liked this!

Melissa is fourteen and just beginning high school and we get insight into her life through her journal. I like that concept. All journal entries yet we get a complete story.

The characters were really good although I thought that the sudden closeness of Layla and Melissa was unnecessary, especially since it didn't stick. I totally understood Jess' situation, but I don't see anything wrong with the Gothic style.

Anyways I was a little annoyed at how the relationship with Bria
Erin
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a very accurate portrayal of what life is like for the average fourteen year old girl starting high school- such a transitional year, with changing friends, boyfriends, alternately hating your family and realizing they are the best thing that could happen to you. And the main character, Melissa, has a rough freshman year, having to go through it all. Bullies, friends who aren't really your friends, peer pressure- she is indoctrinated pretty quickly to the world of high school. She m ...more
Tami
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win the three books from the Stories about Melissa series by Bethany Lopez in a Goodreads giveaway. Ta Ta for Now! is the first book in the series.

Target audience is probably early teens, so a little (OK a lot!) younger than me, even so - I really enjoyed the book. The story is told through a series of journal entries from Melissa, a young girl just starting her freshman year. She's a mature 14 year old, frustrated by her three siblings. The book takes us through her experi
Mike McAdam
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book free through a goodreads giveaway* I really enjoyed this book and I am not even remotely the target audience. This book is meant for tween girls and I am an adult male. I loved the gimmick of it being a girl's journal. At first I was skeptical of the idea, but I ended up really liking it. The journal sounds like it was written by a teenage girl and the events written about in the journal are very realistic (my high school experience was similar) so it is well written. My on ...more
Laura Thomas
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. Melissa tells her story through her Journal entries. I completely connected with her. The descriptions of her experiences with first love and family life took me through a range of emotions. I laughed with her, sympathized with her and cheered her on!. Bethany writes a delightful, heart warming story and I am thrilled to find out it is a series. I grew up in Michigan, where the story takes place, and spent many fun times at Runyan Lake. My brother lives in Fenton and it was ...more
Ana
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. In such a short period of time, the author was able to place me back in my 14 year old self and give me all the memories I thought I'd forgotten. The stress of starting high school, the confusion of friendships that aren't always what you thought they would be and the excitement of that boy you have a crush on. Written in a journal format, this book was easy to read and had me both smiling and tearful in turn. I could related to Melissa (Missy) right from the very fir ...more
Jessica Therrien
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ta Ta for Now! is told in a very unique way, through young Melissa's journal entries. The entries are absolutely authentic, and you'll feel like you've stumbled upon someone's actual diary.

Melissa was a very believable character. The author did a great job of writing with a young voice, and I think she nailed it with creating a character all of us girls can relate to. We were all insecure freshman at one point.

The story has some important lessons about bullying and the value of family.

Great st
Lauren
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
This book remind me of my freshman year of high school. Melissa's enthusiasm is what made me think of freshman year all over again. Having just recently graduated high school, it was a good reminder. This book proves to be a quick read and is written like an actual fourteen year old wrote it (in a good way). It portrays all of the drama that goes on in high school; betrayal, deciding who your real friends are, discovering who you are, and of course, tears. There are a few typos throughout the bo ...more
Sheri Fink
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In the tradition of Judy Blume, Bethany Lopez's "Stories About Melissa" series deals with the often complicated relationships teenagers have with their families, friends, and the world around them. "Ta Ta For Now" is written journal-style and follows 14-year old Melissa through the trials and tribulations of her freshman year in high school. If you've ever wanted to read someone's diary, you will enjoy this book! :)
Elaine
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook, nook-tbr, 2014
I am currently 14 going to go to freshman year and the oldest of five kids, so you could say me and this character had a lot in common. To be honest at first I felt it was a little immature but ended up really likening the story. No i don't answer everything withe the word love and totally like the main character in the book, but I did think it was very true to being 14, and really connected to the story.
Kristy
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: x
This was fun, re-living teenage things through Melissa and her journal entries. It's similar to a couple of series that were out when I was 14-15, but unfortunately, I didn't read much back then so I mostly missed out on those. It's also a nice break for me from reading "adult" stuff. I like that!
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really quick fun read that brings the author back to being fourteen years old.

This story is told through Melissa's entries in her journal that her younger sister gave her. Like Melissa I'm also the oldest of four so I found a connection here.

I really enjoyed this story. It's a refreshing read that I'll be recommending... Especially to teenagers.
Dayna R
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was really cute. It's obviously a little young for me but I could see myself reading this when I was younger. I really enjoyed how it is written in journal form instead of the normal chapters. Quick and easy read.
Louise Walsh
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good read. Great viewpoint from the teenager's point of view. I am glad my daughter told me to read this novel. Being a teenager and growing up is not easy and they need all the help they can get.
Noelle Walsh
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a nice book. Written in the style of a diary, this book takes us into the mind of a young girl, going through her first year of high school and the changes it brings out in her. Interesting, I must say. I can only hope I didn't misbehave the way she did when I was her age.
Chloe
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the book, that I feel in love with Bethany with.
I loved meeting Melissa.
If i had a daughter I would get her to read this series.
Well done :)
Karen
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Melissa goes thru a lot her freshman year... It's a great read, the book is from her perspective as she writes in her journal...
Mary
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
cute story
Renee
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect little book! The angst, drama, fights , friends, school and family was fabulous. I've become a huge Bethany fan. I have others to read but have to finish the series like NOW.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • So Into You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #2)
  • Heart Shaped Rock
  • Mutilate My Heart (Mutilated, #1)
  • True Fate (True Fate #1)
  • Finding Home
  • Unbound (All Good Things #1)
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • The Clearing (Outside, #2)
  • Taking Angels
  • Sun Damage (Sunshine, #3)
  • The Guardians Crown Parts One and Two (The Sacred Guardians #4)
  • Where You'll Find Me
  • Burned (Crushed #2)
  • Deuce (Vortex, #3)
  • Tore: Divided Love (Torn Love, #2)
  • My Life From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy #3)
  • A Safe Space (Someone Else's Fairytale, #3.5)
Sign up for my Newsletter for more information about my writing: http://crea.tf/bethanylopeznewsletter

Award-Winning Author Bethany Lopez began self-publishing in June 2011. She's a lover of all things romance: books, movies, music, and life, and she incorporates that into the books she writes. When she isn't reading or writing, she loves spending time with her husband and children, traveling whene
More about Bethany Lopez

Stories About Melissa (7 books)
  • xoxoxo (Stories About Melissa, #2)
  • Ciao (Stories About Melissa, #3)
  • TTYL (Stories About Melissa, #4)
  • With Love (Stories About Melissa, #5)
  • Adios (Stories about Melissa, #6)
  • Peace (Stories about Melissa, #7)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
  • This Is Where It Ends
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
“What... Are you on strike from wearing deodorant now too? You smell like a boy's locker room after a wrestling match!” 1 likes
“When we got close to the door, I moved him to the side, so we couldn't be seen from the window, and I pulled him towards me by his shirt.” 1 likes