Start by marking “The Snow Queen Chapter” as Want to Read:
The Snow Queen Chapter

The Snow Queen Chapter

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
An exquisitely illustrated retelling of the classic story by Hans Christian Anderson. An evil troll creates a mirror which reflects the bad and ugly sides of people. Shards of its glass enter a young boy, causing him to reject his loving family and best friend Gerda. Helped by kind strangers and guided by her warm heart, Gerda makes the perilous journey to rescue her frien ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Barefoot Books

Rita Bradley
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This chilling adventure is retold in a clear style with carefully chosen vocabulary to make it suitable for newly confident readers. Kay is helped by kind strangers and we gain a strong sense of good and evil which helps children to learn right from wrong.It is set out in a beautifully produced book and illustrates the cold and icy palace in great detail. This book guides us through Gerda setting out to rescue her brother Kay from the grip of the wicked Snow Queen and we cannot help but wish for ...more
Grace
Wow, I opened up this book and it took my breath away...the illustrations are so beautiful...well done, Miss Clara! I can't wait to get stuck into this magical, mystical children's story with a message... :)

This story did not disappoint. The fairy tale has meaningful and symbolic undertones: perfect for parents whom wish to fill their children's heads with truth. The illustrations are whimsical, beautiful, and captivating.

With a beautiful fairy-tale, exquisite illustrations and a heart-felt mess
Marguarite Markley
A beautifully illustrated retelling of the classic Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale. At about 60 pages, this early chapter book is perfect for children reading above grade level. The complex sentence structure and challenging vocabulary strengthens skills for those children able to read more accelerated texts but not quite ready for advanced themes. In addition, the illustrations help break up the text for younger readers who aren't quite ready for lengthy chapter books.
Relyn
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
Shelves: lawsonland
Barefoot Books has created a series of gorgeously illustrated retold fairy tales for younger readers. This is the first I've seen and it is utterly gorgeous. The story is chapter book, but still familiar version of the original Snow Queen. What makes it remarkable are the wonderful illustrations by Miss Clara. WOW!! I am going to start collecting the books in this series for my classroom.

Lesson Connection
Fairy tale unit
Kristy McRae
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's story, in chapter book format, with beautiful illustrations. My daughter received this book as a gift, and I borrowed it off her shelf. She's obsessed with Disney's Frozen, so I wanted to go back to the original for a re-visit. Well worth it!
Clara
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I had to read this because Frozen was originated of the story the Snow Queen. It was very interesting to read. I love reading fairy tales and I loved it, with the twists and turns, don't forget the loyalty Gerna (Sorry if I spelled her name wrong) showed to Kay.
Melissa
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely retellings of this classic tale by Sarah Lowes. Simply gorgeous and innovative illustrations by Miss Clara. Such a pleasure to read!
Melissa
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful illustrations.
Renee Bowlay
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeously illustrated retelling of the Hans Chistian Andersen story that inspired a recent popular film about a snow/ice queen :)
Jenny
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and illustrated. This version of a much loved fairytale is a joy to behold.
Britanny Risk
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is so beautiful.
Tori
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Barefoot Books, and was especially thrilled with the beautiful artwork throughout this great book. My only bit of sadness that holds back the fifth star is that the book is too short.
Gabriel Clarke
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was actually rather well done (beautiful illustrations too) and didn't compromise on the menace and sense of hidden mysticism of the original. My 5yo loved having it read to her.
Elise Brianna
rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2015
Maria
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was kind of random and even for a fairy tale, a bit unbelievable.
Susannah
Sep 01, 2014
Stacey Mulholland
Jul 02, 2012
Erica
Sep 10, 2013
Thamar
rated it did not like it
May 23, 2012
Andrea
Jan 22, 2015
Jadyn Marshall
May 02, 2017
Sarah Lowes has always been fascinated by stories. She spent the early part of her career as a Primary School teacher, where she was able to study the effects of the written and spoken word on young children. She then trained as a psychotherapist, specializing in fairy tales and realizing that story creates a kind of trance where all things are possible and many things can be healed. Sarah lives i ...more
More about Sarah Lowes...